MLB plan for 2020 season to include approximately 80 games and expanded playoffs, report says

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
  • A truncated season of 80 or so games beginning in early July. Teams would only face division rivals and the same geographic division in the other league to keep games regional.
  • Teams would open the season in as many home parks as possible. That will cut down on travel and allow players and personnel to easily isolate at home with their families.
  • An expanded postseason format would send seven teams to the playoffs per league. The plan would be similar to an idea floated back during the offseason.

Here's my fear right now and it's come up in other leagues across the country. I don't know soccer at all but I guess one of the teams in a "Major" league has to miss a game because a player tested positive and the whole club must now self quarantine for 14 days. They need to make sure they have a response for WHEN a player/coach/etc tests positive. If the answer is the team quarantines for 2 weeks then that'll never work in baseball.

I'm also going to get mad when the MLBPA and owners get in a stand off over how much the players are going to be paid.

• A truncated season of 80 or so games beginning in early July. Teams would only face division rivals and the same geographic division in the other league to keep games regional.
  • Teams would open the season in as many home parks as possible. That will cut down on travel and allow players and personnel to easily isolate at home with their families.
  • An expanded postseason format would send seven teams to the playoffs per league. The plan would be similar to an idea floated back during the offseason.
Also read universal DH would be implemented, which I find abhorrent.

Out of everything I think this might be the rule to stick. I personally like the NL and think it takes more to manage and it adds for those that enjoy watching "little things" in baseball. Unfortunately we're going the total opposite direction. We want Home Runs and Power Pitchers. Nobody goes to a game wanting to see a double switch.

This is all for nothing if the MLBPA and MLB can't come to an agreement, and they're nowhere close to that on Pay

Here's my fear right now and it's come up in other leagues across the country. I don't know soccer at all but I guess one of the teams in a "Major" league has to miss a game because a player tested positive and the whole club must now self quarantine for 14 days. They need to make sure they have a response for WHEN a player/coach/etc tests positive. If the answer is the team quarantines for 2 weeks then that'll never work in baseball.
The NBA has said they will not quarantine everyone with a positive test. Please, please look at the data. Men between 20-40 are very, very safe. Even if they get corona, a minute, minute percentage would even ever be hospitilized. The players have a higher percentage of dying in a car accident driving to the game. This will be fine.

If
If we can have baseball and I have to give up the DH, so be it. I'm not splitting hairs. I'd love to do away with the DH completely, but the union would never go for a loss of "jobs".

Right now the union's never going to agree to return with the owners proposal. The union won't agree to go to a full league DH because they'll never have it put in front of them. Younger fans want offense, not someone who might get a few sac bunts and then a standing O for a simple base fit.

Right now the union's never going to agree to return with the owners proposal. The union won't agree to go to a full league DH because they'll never have it put in front of them. Younger fans want offense, not someone who might get a few sac bunts and then a standing O for a simple base fit.
I am not feeling a return right now. Some owners don't want to do the half season anyway. Even if the players have a point, no baseball for an entire season is not helping the game and some teams are not going to operate just to lose a lot more money than they would lose by not playing. if they can't get it together, it would be a darn shame.

The NBA has said they will not quarantine everyone with a positive test. Please, please look at the data. Men between 20-40 are very, very safe. Even if they get corona, a minute, minute percentage would even ever be hospitilized. The players have a higher percentage of dying in a car accident driving to the game. This will be fine.
Thankfully, athletes that get infected will "mostly" be fine. Also thankfully, none of the infected athletes are ever near other humans, like their children or their parents. This will be fine.

Imagine STILL not understanding how viruses work.

I'm not sure I'm understanding. I always heard that the union favored the DH, because it was an extra job. Are you hearing they don't want the DH?

I'm not sure I'm understanding. I always heard that the union favored the DH, because it was an extra job. Are you hearing they don't want the DH?

MLB won't push it because a majority of the current fan base wants more offense. And MLB's really trying (not doing a great job) of adding fans.

If baseball doesn't' return, it won't be because of the DH. The DH will be part of the baseball this year. Moving forward, who knows.

If baseball doesn't' return, it won't be because of the DH. The DH will be part of the baseball this year. Moving forward, who knows.

Who said DH was even close to one of the main issues that may keep them from playing? They won't play because owners want one year of revenue sharing without opening up their books. Players aren't going to agree to that. Especially after they already came up with an agreement weeks ago.

I believe you did.

I believe you did.

Said it'd never be put in front of them. The only place the DH is going is full league. There will never be a proposition put in front of the MLBPA from this point forward asking for the entire league to get rid of the DH.

Have the greedy MLB players agreed to anything yet. Someone needs to remind them they are being payed millions to play baseball.... MILLIONS to play BASEBALL!

Have the greedy MLB players agreed to anything yet. Someone needs to remind them they are being payed millions to play baseball.... MILLIONS to play BASEBALL!

Yes the players agreed to a contract on March 26, 2020 on how they'd be paid a prorated rate for games play. Owners now want to change original agreement. Greedy owners

Yes the players agreed to a contract on March 26, 2020 on how they'd be paid a prorated rate for games play. Owners now want to change original agreement. Greedy owners
Spot on. Everyone signed that with their eyes open. Prorated for games played cuts every player's pay proportionally, and saves owners proportionally. Owners now want to change the deal for their benefit.

Spot on. Everyone signed that with their eyes open. Prorated for games played cuts every player's pay proportionally, and saves owners proportionally. Owners now want to change the deal for their benefit.

With no fans in the stands what sacrifice are the players making? They play half the games and get half the pay... it is the owners taking the hit from no gate.

With no fans in the stands what sacrifice are the players making? They play half the games and get half the pay... it is the owners taking the hit from no gate.

Not sure how to explain this to you but...you keep asking the players agree to agree to something they've already agreed to. They basically agreed to half the pay. It's the owners who now want to change that deal because they won't get the gate.

Imagine having this take LOL

Vamps taking L's like Dayton Wayne in the state championship

You keep glancing over that they made a deal with the owners and now they owners want ro reneg.

Sounds like you might own a pro sports team. Are you Mike Brown? I know he is that dumb...

Not sure why you think this should be any different than any other business?? Owners take the risk and get the reward. Restaurant owner forced to shut down. A few workers stay on per shift to fulfill orders. Workers get maybe half the hours they used to, and thus, half the pay. Owner takes t the lumps when the business has problems. When the business is great, owner gets the upside.

Not sure why you think this should be any different than any other business?? Owners take the risk and get the reward. Restaurant owner forced to shut down. A few workers stay on per shift to fulfill orders. Workers get maybe half the hours they used to, and thus, half the pay. Owner takes t the lumps when the business has problems. When the business is great, owner gets the upside.

How so...... I have never said that Restaurant workers are over payed. Baseball players, you betcha.... WAAAAAYYYYYY over paid to hit, catch a ball.

Not all restaurants lost business and fact some gained using a skeleton crew meaning more hours and harder work for the employees. They are not being payed millions to make a burger so it is not the same thing.

The owners/players made an agreement under a contingent. That changed so the agreement did not stick. Both groups are greedy but it never used to be that way. The only pro sport I follow is Hockey which I am not sure why it got shut down as they are covered from head to toe.

NHL kinda has their fair share of greed. The NHL players have pretty much killed the sport during their 94-95, 2004-05 and 2012-13 Lock Outs. like legit ruined the league and will never recover.

well the owners make on tv and radio money.you take it away from owners and players they would hurt, i always thought that tv and radio money should go toward stadium maitenace and upkeep kinsted of asking us more money for upkeep.

Congrats to MLB for screwing up something that could be an important part of the country's economic and psychological recovery.

At the end of the day, I find both sides despicable. That being said, the owners made a deal and they should have to stick with it.