Springfield Wrestling

MAROON&GOLDBLOOD

Trust and Believe

that I would like to know what has happened to proudful tradition of the Spartans wrestling program. I have heard that an ex-Spartan wrestler offered to take over the program and the BOE told him "NO". And so he has moved and building a powerhouse of a program on Maple St. in Akron. I heard this straight from the horses mouth that this happened also.

Really odd because if its who I think it is, he was just inducted into the Springfield HS Hall of Fame so its not like he's on bad terms there. Also, I'm thinking he would be a good fit and choice with the current AD. Just sounds strange.

Trust and Believe

that I would like to know what has happened to proudful tradition of the Spartans wrestling program. I have heard that an ex-Spartan wrestler offered to take over the program and the BOE told him "NO". And so he has moved and building a powerhouse of a program on Maple St. in Akron. I heard this straight from the horses mouth that this happened also.

I would be interested in knowing the horses mouth you heard it from. I see the person you speak of all the time and he has never mentioned anything like that. I will ask him about this today when I see him. Sounds like someone stirring the pot again about something they know nothing about.::stirthepot:

I would be interested in knowing the horses mouth you heard it from. I see the person you speak of all the time and he has never mentioned anything like that. I will ask him about this today when I see him. Sounds like someone stirring the pot again about something they know nothing about.::stirthepot:

If its A.G. that would be nice but doubt thats the case definatley a :stirthepot: there. Springfield has few kids interested in wrestling right now the tradition is long gone in that program compared to the 90's. T. L. has to play the cards delt to him.. its dissapointing because there are some good wrestlers walking the halls of that school right now and allot of them are not on the team this year and thats not the coaches fault he tried to get them out. You gotta have heart to wrestle and my hats off to the Springfield wrestlers on the team this year keep workin it will come.

If its A.G. that would be nice but doubt thats the case definatley a :stirthepot: there. Springfield has few kids interested in wrestling right now the tradition is long gone in that program compared to the 90's. T. L. has to play the cards delt to him.. its dissapointing because there are some good wrestlers walking the halls of that school right now and allot of them are not on the team this year and thats not the coaches fault he tried to get them out. You gotta have heart to wrestle and my hats off to the Springfield wrestlers on the team this year keep workin it will come.

I agree there 71. I have spoken with TL and a lot of kids trying to help him get some of them interested again. Oh and saw AG at lunch yesterday. Told him about his post. He states he did make the offer in 2000 but was told no by Fowler who was the AD at the time. Someting about he didnt have a teachers certification. But emphasized he is not coming to SHS now. Todd is a good coach, its the kids who need to get motivated and come back and be willing to work hard. I think thats what you said.

I see promise in T.L. Most of the kids on the current team are Freshmen and Sophmores. Had a bad draw with injuries this year too. I agree the program hasn't been what it was in past, but I personally see good things happening.

Trust and Believe

I would not leave St. Vincent either. he has the program on the upswing. And the facilities thast he is going to get in the next couple of years will be unbelieveable. Plus his youth group AWS just won the state tournament.

Seen the plans for SHS new school and the wrestling facility that goes along with it. Should be a good thing for the program when its done. I will go with the old movie phrase. "Build it and they will come". Hopefully some of these kids can get back into the program. The coach is in place now and 100% behind the program, now the kids have to get on board as well and be willing to work. And hopefully the parents will let him run a good program and not interfere or have excuses for their kids. Its a grind to get better and not an overnight thing in wrestling. And before you start 71 I am not talking about you this time. I an more or less just rehashing what you have said most of the time.

Seen the plans for SHS new school and the wrestling facility that goes along with it. Should be a good thing for the program when its done. I will go with the old movie phrase. "Build it and they will come". Hopefully some of these kids can get back into the program. The coach is in place now and 100% behind the program, now the kids have to get on board as well and be willing to work. And hopefully the parents will let him run a good program and not interfere or have excuses for their kids. Its a grind to get better and not an overnight thing in wrestling. And before you start 71 I am not talking about you this time. I an more or less just rehashing what you have said most of the time.
You talked about me?? How dare you! :laugh:
I think if they can get any kind of numbers for next season(which I think they will) and get the team sucked into the hard work practices (that depends on the boys and maturity and is critical) we will see 100% improvment from T.L.'s Spartan Wrestlers and hopefully we can get the 2 upperweights back on the mat next season.

SP87.... I know Todd is a good guy but I know for a fact you could get little L back on the mat with your presence. I dont know what it is you or the gun he is afraid of.

Talked with T.L. and unless something else comes on my schedule I will be back to help him. Cant bring the boy with me, but I can help him out with the kids and try to instill some discipline and work ethics. I have been bringing the boy to Sawyerwood to open mat with Jordan this week. If the boy wants to meet us that would be great. I dont think the guy who owns Sawyerwood really cares about it. I am also trying to get as many SHS kids as possible to do freestyle at Lake in the end of March. Believe it or not it does help them out.

Talked with T.L. and unless something else comes on my schedule I will be back to help him. Cant bring the boy with me, but I can help him out with the kids and try to instill some discipline and work ethics. I have been bringing the boy to Sawyerwood to open mat with Jordan this week. If the boy wants to meet us that would be great. I dont think the guy who owns Sawyerwood really cares about it. I am also trying to get as many SHS kids as possible to do freestyle at Lake in the end of March. Believe it or not it does help them out.
My boy will be at the Stark County Club this year like last year he loved the change from folkstyle to freestyle, I think he missed wrestling this year he was always talking about it but just did not make the commitment and now his freshman year is gone forever but if he returns to the sport next year with the drive he used to have it will have been a wise choice. I could not stand to watch another half hearted effort knowing what he is capible of when focused and motivated. I honestly think ZM and LB could make allot of noise in the PTC and more in the upper weight classes if they get back into it. The SCWC is a great club with some real talent in the room in both the wrestlers and the instructors.

As a dad of a Springfield youth wrestler that has recently jumped ship, I can tell you 1st hand that our feeder program is in shambles... Im a proud springfield resident and cant wait to see my son wrestling in high school (if he still loves the sport like he does at present) but until we get a name brand in here teaching these boys, the snowball will just keep getting bigger and bigger. Too much focus on boards and fundraising and not enough focus on attacking the legs JMHO. Also I would love to see ZM on the mats next year for Springfield (he was a hammer in youth).

JL out

As a dad of a Springfield youth wrestler that has recently jumped ship, I can tell you 1st hand that our feeder program is in shambles... Im a proud springfield resident and cant wait to see my son wrestling in high school (if he still loves the sport like he does at present) but until we get a name brand in here teaching these boys, the snowball will just keep getting bigger and bigger. Too much focus on boards and fundraising and not enough focus on attacking the legs JMHO. Also I would love to see ZM on the mats next year for Springfield (he was a hammer in youth).

JL out
If he is any good I will offer money to stay. Im gonna go out on a limb and say I will offer money to all football athletes to come to Springfield and a certified address. I know other schools do it in a different way but why beat around the bush?

JL out

If it was such a shambles, why did you come to our practices?? Our coach did a great job this year and the boys/girls learned alot. The first step in youth is to make them like it. As far as your second-handed comment about the board/fundraisers, there were lots of things purchased for the wrestlers this year including new singlets and that was with only one affordable fundraiser. When the grass isnt greener for you, dont come back and bash the people who get things done!!

Hope,
I think CS did a great job with what he had to work with (and when i say that im not bashing the kids at all). But i do know that he was miserable the whole season and felt like he had his hands tied. He tried to split the gym and was told no by "the board". He wanted to take the kids to a couple of friendlys during the season and was told no by the "board". We went to practices because we were invited by cs and z enjoyed wrestling with his schoolmates. As far as speculating about green grass, you have no idea!!! In my opinion the youth program took 3 HUGE steps back when a couple egocentric dads stepped in and self appointed themselves into positions of power without going through the proper election process. If you want to help, take the allstars and teach them how to run a wrist and a half. Every successful program splits the gym (i know, ive been to them all)... Graham, Eds, st.v, wadsorth, perry, N.C, Solon, Walsh all have well run hard core youth programs... Springfield could run a similar program if a few dads would set their egos aside and let the coach do their job.

I've heard these types of complaints all over Springfield over the years. When is the community going to stop with the negativity and start supporting all the programs from youth all the way up through HS? It drives me crazy. There are good people trying to do good things in this community and every time someone doesn't like something, they complain and spread rumors and negativity to try and oust them. People need to realize, that not all the time can you get what you want(except polster or course :) ). Youth organizations are not going to be able to please everybody with every decision they make. Trust me, I know. :) Its just impossible. You must trust that they are doing whats best for the kids.

The community and its people need to be more supportive and less negative or nothing will change and we will continue to spin our wheels as far as Athletics go. jmo

Hope,
I think CS did a great job with what he had to work with (and when i say that im not bashing the kids at all). But i do know that he was miserable the whole season and felt like he had his hands tied. He tried to split the gym and was told no by "the board". He wanted to take the kids to a couple of friendlys during the season and was told no by the "board". We went to practices because we were invited by cs and z enjoyed wrestling with his schoolmates. As far as speculating about green grass, you have no idea!!! In my opinion the youth program took 3 HUGE steps back when a couple egocentric dads stepped in and self appointed themselves into positions of power without going through the proper election process. If you want to help, take the allstars and teach them how to run a wrist and a half. Every successful program splits the gym (i know, ive been to them all)... Graham, Eds, st.v, wadsorth, perry, N.C, Solon, Walsh all have well run hard core youth programs... Springfield could run a similar program if a few dads would set their egos aside and let the coach do their job.
There isnt a problem with the youth. The problem is particapation with the parents and crybaby attitude. If you dont like it help out make your voice heard. Make a change for the better.

I got a question!!!!! Do you want me to revamp your youth league cuz I will. I have been bored with no real meaning in life and I will offer my services to you or any other person. :)

There isnt a problem with the youth. The problem is particapation with the parents and crybaby attitude. If you dont like it help out make your voice heard. Make a change for the better.

I got a question!!!!! Do you want me to revamp your youth league cuz I will. I have been bored with no real meaning in life and I will offer my services to you or any other person. :)

I have no problem with "making your voice heard" but there is a right and wrong way to do this. As you said, get involved with a positive mindset and work with others to make a change for the better. Don't think you can just step in and change things immediately. Change takes time.

Uhhh, I think we're ok right now Polster. I appreciate the offer but we got it handled. Thanx anyways. Just keep up with the donations. Could use some springfield Gray paint for the Shed. :)

I have no problem with "making your voice heard" but there is a right and wrong way to do this. As you said, get involved with a positive mindset and work with others to make a change for the better. Don't think you can just step in and change things immediately. Change takes time.

Uhhh, I think we're ok right now Polster. I appreciate the offer but we got it handled. Thanx anyways. Just keep up with the donations. Could use some springfield Gray paint for the Shed. :)
Is the shed ready to be painted? I have the paint and painter when ready. By the way he does go to church..... I dont want any problems.

Block is completed. Trusses and sheathing have been ordered but not delivered. Waiting on dryer ground. Just thought it'd be easier to paint the block before the roof goes on.

The painter says the paint we have will be able to go on when the block can stay at a steady 40 degrees. They sell paint for earlier appts but not free. If you can wait we will do the inside and out with know problem.

there isnt a problem with the youth??? 2 different baseball/softball leagues.
Until last year 2 different football leagues.
Now there is rumor of 2 different wrestling leagues.

The youth football thing was loud, ugly and made Springfield look bad. Grown men on the news accusing other grown men of stealing concessions and equipment (irish, if you are who i think you are, no disrespect to you, you seem to be doing a fine job and your service is appreciated).

The baseball and softball split is absolutely rediculous (poor billy and sally didnt get to be on the good team so mommy and daddy will start their own league :confused:).

If there is a division at the youth level, what makes you think things are going to be "sunshine and unicorns:rainbow: " when these parents and kids get to the high school level. no wonder kids arent coming out...

there is no problems at youth level??? :wallbang:

There isnt a problem with the kids per say. Not a problem with the coaches. There is a problem with the parents and the mentality they live by and instill in their kids. Try teaching them to work harder to get better and teach them to make themselves better. If your not good enough to get playing time you think you deserve, work harder to earn that time. Dont just go run away and make a new team to get your kid to play more. Sometimes parents need to stop living vicariously through their kids. Just saying.

there isnt a problem with the youth??? 2 different baseball/softball leagues.
Until last year 2 different football leagues.
Now there is rumor of 2 different wrestling leagues.

The youth football thing was loud, ugly and made Springfield look bad. Grown men on the news accusing other grown men of stealing concessions and equipment (irish, if you are who i think you are, no disrespect to you, you seem to be doing a fine job and your service is appreciated)QUOTE]

The accusations were fact and proof of it came out after one side dropped the whole thing so it didn't get uglier. The lawyers fees added up and drained the SYF Bank account, add in the theft of the Items from the field and we felt it was necessary to take it to another level. Where are these other people now? Exactly. I think it worked out for the best, and the 2 Leagues only lasted one year so it really wasnt that big a deal, now that we look back. Had it dragged out, then yes I would agree it could have been dissasterous. Sorry, still a little bitter about that whole thing. :wallbang:

There was a big change in the mindset with SYF and I think thats what has turned things around. Its taking a while, but I think we are headed in the right direction.

I agree with Spartans87 though. I think the mentality of the parents has to change in the community. Our days are over. We need to work together if we are to bring back the Spartan Pride that once was. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not originally from here, but there are a lot of residents who have spent their entire lives here and have talked about how proud they are to be from here. They want athletics to improve, but don't want to admit that it starts at the home. Grades, Respect/Manners and Pride are all things that I see are problems in this town. Parents need to help their kids improve their grades at the younger levels so its not such a problem once they get in HS. Respect each other, property and yourself and take pride in your community. Ok, done with my Governors speech. Cant we all just get along? :shrug: :crush:

The painter says the paint we have will be able to go on when the block can stay at a steady 40 degrees. They sell paint for earlier appts but not free. If you can wait we will do the inside and out with know problem.
I'm game. We'll wait. I'll check back with you when the weather turns for the better. Thanx.