Springfield Wrestling

From what I understand Todd wanted a board in place. With a board in place the coach doesnt have to worry about parents , fundraisers, banquets and all that stuff. And money doesnt get ''lost''.

I am sure that 3/4 was against a top notch wrestler! Just like the rest of the complainers, if you all put as much effort into complaining about the people trying to fix things into actually helping trying to fix things it would be amazing! Once again, I guess the computer is the only way certain people have the balls to voice their opinion!

Funny how certain people can act like everything is just fine when they are face to face with a person and then get on the computer and shove a knife in their back! I guess that I should not be surprised. I can recall when we were moving mats for a tournament and M.N. and B.G. showed up to what I thought was to help us. Then, when they realized we did not plan on using a certain individuals mats they just left us high and dry. I guess that is how adults act these days! That is just like a kids way of thinking, if I do not like the way the game is played I will just take my ball and go home! If you and your friends really want to help then stop your behind the scenes complaining and step up to the plate!

I don't think anyone said they want to scrap the idea of the board. The board WAS the solution that everyone had to offer. In fact I'm the one that suggested it. Knowing that TL had found CS to coach, and knowing how much of a challenge it would be to have to deal with all the administrative/financial/parental/sectional issues and still coach a team of almost 50 6 through 12 year olds, it certainly seemed like the right way to do it. There wasn't 1 guy like a JC that had all the answers that was willing to fill the role, so the board concept was agreed upon. I still think it could work, but it would need to be handled much differently than this year.

Alright, I gotta pack for Grade school states.

If you were the one that suggested it then why were you not on it??? Sounds to me like someone trying to take credit for an idea??? I have never heard of a person that cares about something so much suggest that a board be put in place and that person not be involved or even show an interest in wanting a position on the board.

If you were the one that suggested it then why were you not on it??? Sounds to me like someone trying to take credit for an idea??? I have never heard of a person that cares about something so much suggest that a board be put in place and that person not be involved or even show an interest in wanting a position on the board.

I think you and the board could probably answer that question better than I could, since you were the only ones at the election meeting.
I'm not trying to take credit for anything. I was just emphasising the fact that I thought it would be a good way to go about it, and I had expressed that to TL before the first meeting was held. That's all.

I am sure that 3/4 was against a top notch wrestler! Just like the rest of the complainers, if you all put as much effort into complaining about the people trying to fix things into actually helping trying to fix things it would be amazing! Once again, I guess the computer is the only way certain people have the balls to voice their opinion!

Not at all, I tried to voice my opinions and make suggestions throughout the year, but when someone has their mind set on something, I guess there's no changing it. At least some reasonable discussion would have been nice.

The suggestion was made more than once to utilize the new, clean lightweight mats that we had available for sectionals, and be honest, the reasons were all personal that you didn't want to use them.

See, you have to tell the whole story man. I was more than willing to move mats. I've never missed a year since being involved. I was just so discouraged by that point in the season, that if you want to do it your way, then do it your way. Don't you wonder why there were only 4 people that showed up that night? I mean c'mon. When you're making good decisions, people are usually on board with it.

I can't even fathom how using new mats was a bad idea. It seemed to me that it would make a great impression on the other 7 teams participating. Lets not forget that Kenmore was trying to get our sectional away from us. Lets not give anyone any ammo(like ripped up practice mats for bubble boy to wrestle on). I wasn't the only one that felt this way, but you guys didn't want to listen to any of it.

I also don't see the sense in blowing somebody's back out when there was a better offer for the program.

So, every time I did have any dialogue, I felt like I got a door slammed in my face, and I'm only gonna take that a couple of times before I get the message that you don't want any help. I've never treated you like that, EVER. I'm not going to make a scene, and if that comes across as 2 faced, I call it diplomatic. Wouldn't want the kids to see the league president arguing with a parent would we.

Look R, I'm not trying to get into some kind of a p**sing match with you or anybody else. If I thought you were open to sitting down and talking about this stuff, objectively, I'd be happy to meet you tomorrow. I really want to see a healthy successful program. We all have kids in this district, and I think we have some of the same goals for that. We just need better communication, and it needs to be 2-way.

Springfield youth wrestling has ran smoothly without a "board" succesfully for 15 years? Sounds like irish has a horse in the race (maybe a drinking buddy or a personal friend (speculating here)? I can tell you that I hear rumor that T.L is going to scrap the "board". Man i hope so... I can also tell you that the only way Z.L will return to Springfield youth wrestling is if there is an "--- BUSTING" coach that wants to take him to the "promise land" (state champ). That is exactly where he is headed. The kid works way to hard to let a group of parents hold him back. I have heard these "board" members freak out when a head and arm is hit or a 3/4 nelson is taught, "that wont work in high school" is what i hear. Well i watched the iron man at walsh this year and saw the #1 kid in the country win the championship with a head and arm and watched 3 high school matches won with a 3/4 nelson. The point is "sit down in a chair, shut your pie hole and let these kids learn EVERYTHING. the bigger the arsenal the more dangerous the wrestler... As a matter of a fact come to youngstown on sat, and i will promise you that Z.L will win his 1st championship round match with one of those moves (dedicated to the nay sayers). Listen to spartan 71, he has alot of knowledge in the sport and is probably buddies with some of these cats on the board and he will tell you that splitting the room and letting the coach run the show is a must!!! He just has a more politically correct way of putting it (sorry i dont posses those filters). I hope that football is ran better, z wants to play this year and i think he will be a BEAST, but im getting a little nervous... In short, "DOWN WITH THE SYW BOARD"!!! :grouphug:
Curious how your son did over the weekend. OAC is very tough. It was a learning experience for my boy.

Last edited:
this is like old times polster n irish except the players have changed....
you know this will take a couple threads to hash out....

People call posting on yappi cowardly and sometimes I guess thats would be true but sometimes it helps people who have issues face to face getting thier point across better they dont get all emotional and lose focus on thier issue as they do in person. if people can stay mature with there posts it can help people who have contrary beliefs on how things should be find common ground.

People leave organizations for various reasons, leaving because a parent does not like the people running it is probably the most common reason and in my mind the least acceptable reason. I think chinwhips reasons for leaving are based on whats best training wise for his boy not because he dislikes the board and to me thats legit per say.

I think we all just need to meet at the little estabishment on Massilon Rd and have a sit down meeting. :grouphug: Let everyone voice their opinion and come up with a plan. I'm sure we could get KC to go for that she could make some money and plan that everyone could live with might come out of it as well. If nothing else it would be entertaining. :party:

this is like old times polster n irish except the players have changed....
you know this will take a couple threads to hash out....

People call posting on yappi cowardly and sometimes I guess thats would be true but sometimes it helps people who have issues face to face getting thier point across better they dont get all emotional and lose focus on thier issue as they do in person. if people can stay mature with there posts it can help people who have contrary beliefs on how things should be find common ground.

People leave organizations for various reasons, leaving because a parent does not like the people running it is probably the most common reason and in my mind the least acceptable reason. I think chinwhips reasons for leaving are based on whats best training wise for his boy not because he dislikes the board and to me thats legit per say.

Well said 71. One of the biggest reasons most things get strained is because of poor or no communication. This site provides another means to do that, as long as we don't misuse it, and do more damage than good.

Curious how your son did over the weekend. OAC is very tough. It was a learning experience for my boy.

The group that went ended up with one placer. ZG at D3-HWT wrestled to a 5th place.
Everyone else survived the 1st day, and they all lost their 1st match on Sunday.
Really proud of them all.

Well said 71. One of the biggest reasons most things get strained is because of poor or no communication. This site provides another means to do that, as long as we don't misuse it, and do more damage than good.
exactly LFD if a parent has an legit issue they need to go to someone every time dont let stuff fester and the coach/board member should hear the parent out every time. this is a pain in the rear sometimes because lets face it some parents are out there, but most are not and those minutes you spend talking and LISTENING to a parent saves you hours of stressing over parents who may be out to get you now and the distractions that can cause for you. You lose focus on your job with the organization and the kids pay for it.

Thanks for asking. I knew he would'nt do as well this year as in the past (he's in the middle of three different styles right now). But even I didnt think it could go this bad. He pinned the 2 seed from Dayton, lost to the 1 seed from c bus (team Miron) 11-7 and lost to the eventual runner up from Burnett trained academy 6-2. It was a punch in the gut, knowing a year ago he would have prolly pinned his way through to the semis before his first real challenge. But on a lighter note, the bar at the hotel had 2 buck bottles and z had fun hanging out with his teamates from N. Canton as well as his schoolmates from Springfield.

Last edited:
headhunter, not sure what this means:

The case in which Sawyerwood school is playing a part in helping the children in the community is fine to a point. I hope the issues concerning the safety and the financial situation is taken seriously and not misleading the community.

Curious of what safety concerns are there. I keep an eye out for that kind of stuff and I'm not seeing anything so far.
I think he is talking about the solvency of the club. I believe the sawyer school is behind 100k in taxes for 08' 09'. Far as practicing, I dont know if they have a occupancy permit to operate. If that is the case then how can a future be taken seriously.

I think he is talking about the solvency of the club. I believe the sawyer school is behind 100k in taxes for 08' 09'. Far as practicing, I dont know if they have a occupancy permit to operate. If that is the case then how can a future be taken seriously.

Cant speak on the back taxes but I know they have recently obtained an occupancy permit.

Really???

that club is the kids, parents who finance it and the coaches who volunteer to help out. they could wrestle anywhere including a Springfield school facility if they got the right paperwork filed, the club is not the people who owe taxes on the building... just another example of people's version of hard ball around here I am seeing a pattern of "if your not in our corner we are gonna run you out of town"......

Your financial facts are incorrect. I will allow the owner of the building to address this if he chooses, but I do know the occupancy permit is in place. I was there during the inspections. I had the same concerns prior to obtaining it. How can it move forward without it. But it's handled.

Last edited:
Really???

that club is the kids, parents who finance it and the coaches who volunteer to help out. they could wrestle anywhere including a Springfield school facility if they got the right paperwork filed, the club is not the people who owe taxes on the building... just another example of people's version of hard ball around here I am seeing a pattern of "if your not in our corner we are gonna run you out of town"......
I did not mean to group the two together. I did some checking and found they are in the rears 65k from 08' 09'. Sorry.

The wrestling program will be fine. Its great to see the enthusiasm in the sport but dividing a program when the times are tough are not in the best interest of Spartan athletics.

The case in which Sawyerwood school is playing a part in helping the children in the community is fine to a point. I hope the issues concerning the safety and the financial situation is taken seriously and not misleading the community.

Do your homework!!!!!! Don't forget, Springfield starts new construction this spring.

2 more questions on this post

1) Who is dividing the program in your opinion. I'm involved and don't see a division anywhere. (except that people aren't agreeing on some issues right now) But there's no plan of dividing the program that I'm aware of. Maybe splitting the gym during the season, but not 2 programs.

2) What does the new construction have to do with this thread? Are you suggesting the program needs to find a temporary home during the construction of the new facility?

Ok so I was going to stay out of this but I see my name and what I am trying to do keep’s being brought up so I want everyone to listen up! FIRST off RC I tried to talk to you during football last year about what I wanted to do with and for the wrestling program and your words to me were “dude its football season I am not even thinking about wrestling” I tried to talk to people at maze farm about what I wanted to do with and for the wrestling program and got shunned. I asked each and every one of you to be involved in what I was trying to do and that is a FACT that you know is true! But you want everyone on the outside to think that something was done behind everyone’s backs and that is not the case. I was in contact with KV and TL all summer long and even MP and JC knew what was going on. Everyone here keeps talking about bringing Springfield Sports back to the way they were but what are you all truly doing to get to that point? Why are there still 2 baseball leagues in Springfield? With all this talk about being a man and working things out who is going to make the first move to make that happen? Although I do not agree on the 2 leagues it is doing 1 good thing for Springfield it keeps Springfield kids in Springfield! What program is doing that for wrestling? Oh wait that would be mine! (Yes a little sarcasm is there) not only are we offering a choice to the kids of Springfield but we have drawn in some kids from outside of Springfield and we have even pulled a cpl of kids who have left back into a Springfield program. Has anyone asked TL who hounded him from the end of last wrestling season to the start of this year’s about what was going on with the program? How many of the people that left last year came back to the program this year? How many left? And what are the plans on bring our kids back to Springfield? Is it just oh we will just wait until they get out of the youth program then they will have to be in a Springfield program? As far as showing up to move the mats and then leavening yes I showed up but not to move the mats I showed up to offer one more time to use the NEW mats! I was willing to help move the mats if you did not want to accept the offer but when I tried to talk to you I was ignored and you walked away so I did the same! All season long the plan was to use them then 1 week before I get a TEXT saying you were not going to use them. (Sounds like someone got a hair up their “you know what” to me) As far as the board goes I was there when they appointed each other and I was the ONLY outside person in the room there were NO other parents there. I know that was the reason why some of the parents who wanted to be involved were so upset at the board. They felt that they had NO input on who was on the board and they did not. So who can blame them? The board did not hold 1 parents meeting that I can recall and they asked for no input about anything from the parents. When input on fundraisers or T-Shirts was offered the response was an expletive that Yappi will not allow to be typed. So how about putting egos aside and lets all do something to improve the program! I do not have a personal issue with any of you although I do not think that things were handled the correct way and I am SURE you feel the same about the way I went about this we are all doing what we think is BEST for Springfield and the wrestling program. For those of you who have a personal issue with me I am a very easy person to contact just pick up the phone and give me a call! Although I do not have any dealings with you outside of wrestling so I do not know what issues you could possibly have! Maybe it was from when I provided a place for the football banquet free of charge? Or when I provided a place for the Wrestling banquet free of charge! Or maybe it was offering a place to continue wrestling last year and the year before when we no longer had the use of the HS gym! Maybe it was when I offered the fields out back for T-ball, or let the Basketball kids come in over Christmas break when they did not have use of the gyms. Or was it when I let the girls softball use the gym for practice? Maybe it was when I offered the place up to start a Youth bingo for the youth sports programs! Could it be the full size outside BB courts that I put in that everyone is able to use? Did I offend you by offering New light weight mats to keep anyone from blowing out their backs moving the old ones? Or maybe it was the fact that everything about the program I am trying to get going in the off season is related to Springfield school colors and say Springfield on them so that people know that it is a Springfield program? People can sit on their hands and do nothing but complain or we can work with each other and build an off season program that will be good for Springfield!! DO NOT say I am part of the reason the programs are the way they are I am willing to work with ANY of you to make things better!
If anyone has a question about what I am trying to do pick up a phone and give me a call !!

I have no clue who you are but you just said a mouthful lol...

Since when did RC become the leader of the youth wrestling program?? hmmmm

Last edited:
I did not mean to group the two together. I did some checking and found they are in the rears 65k from 08' 09'. Sorry.

As far as the taxes go! Yes there are taxes owed. The web is a great place to check on things like that and a great way to fire people up and or scare them away. But the things it will not show you are what matters. Steps are being taken and things will be handled on that end. But just so everyone knows the site is a little misleading on how the taxes became so high. Up until mid 2010 we never got a tax bill we continued to check on them but they told us there was nothing owed. Then they all hit at once and they back dated everything. So there you have it.

As far as the taxes go! Yes there are taxes owed. The web is a great place to check on things like that and a great way to fire people up and or scare them away. But the things it will not show you are what matters. Steps are being taken and things will be handled on that end. But just so everyone knows the site is a little misleading on how the taxes became so high. Up until mid 2010 we never got a tax bill we continued to check on them but they told us there was nothing owed. Then they all hit at once and they back dated everything. So there you have it.
A forth coming person who is trying to help the community it sounds like to me... Good luck to all the youth wrestling programs in Springfield.... or should I say good luck to all the Spartan wrestlers where ever you train.

Go Spartans!

Our family has been involved with this youth program for the past 17 years and we have never seen a bigger bunch of complainers...that is sad! First of all "the board" that is only a name for people who do ALL the work that the others cant/wont do, so do be so envious (we all paid registration)..we stepped up to do the job, just like you all can do next year! Every bit of input that most of you had surrounded another wrestling program that you were starting. We were only trying to preserve the current program and not see the same things that have happened in the past happen again. Slowly one by one, our kids were recruited to the DH team via sweatshirts, hats and fees paid to tournaments..that constituted your little following. You all did some dirty, shiesty, behind our back things that you fail to mention on here and NEVER supported anything for our team, not even donating items for our tournaments. I want to add that there are ALOT of parents that thanked the board and was very appreciative of all their dedicated time and efforts they just dont have accounts on yappi. On a positive note, the kids enjoyed their banquet and awards and for me, thats all the thanks I need. :grouphug:

The wrestling banquet was the best I've ever been too. Kudo's for that! My kid had a great time and walked out with some great swag.

I don't think it was necessary to protect the current program from the DH's. If you would come check it out you would see that for yourself, but you choose to make it a threat, and it isn't. Never was. Even TL can see that.

These kids are not being recruited away from the community program! This program is attempting to ensure they don't go to AWC or AG. I do hear rumor that we have lost one wrestler to AWC, and it's one of the board members. So where's the threat. (that's my attitude statement for this post)

So when you say NEVER supporting or donating, you mean like the use of wrestling mats, or offering to PURCHASE singlets at the beginning of the year? You guys ended up buying singlets at the end of the season, and I think that was money that didn't need to be spent. You had an offer, but you didn't want it.

I donated to the tournament concession stand, so you're wrong about that. I also checked the night before to make sure there wasn't anything we needed that we were short on at the last minute.

The only thing that I know of that happened "behind your back" was a group of the kids going to an open tourney the same day as the added fund raiser. I was planning on going to that tourney long before the fund raiser came up. Some of the parents that went to the fundraiser were able to go because their kids were wrestling that day in Medina, and they weren't comfortable with their kids at an "adult" function. So it actually freed some people up to attend.

This point is not a complaint, just my opinion on that fundraiser.....

You increased the registration fee 40% this year because you said you were starting out the season with no money. I'm ok with that, completely. One of the problems we needed to overcome was trying to have some carry-over for a change and building things back up. So I made my contribution to the cause.
THEN, after having a handful of suggestions ignored about fundraising ideas, you guys come to us with this dinner/drink fundraiser, and require everyone to sell 2 tickets. I was told it would be a nice opportunity for the parents to meet in a social setting. So I guess you intended for me to buy the tickets myself, and shoulder more of the burden, over and above the registration increase.
That just didn't seem right to me. And I believe a majority of the people there were the parents. Most fundraisers attempt to get other people to pay for the program, and relieve the members from having to cover all the costs.

Ok, now the OTHER fundraiser. We do a varsity team tourney, and we have for quite some time. I asked why we don't do an open tourney, and I was told we don't really have the facility to support the 300-500 wrestlers that can show up to one of those. Good point. It would take us forever to do that on 3 mats.
My biggest issue with the varsity team tourney is that all of the parents were expected to contribute, but not all of the kids get to participate. I felt bad for the all-star kids that didn't get to be included in their teams event.

So here's my suggestion. Maybe next year instead of a social fundraiser, maybe we could do a team tourney AND an all-star tourney. Maybe even a team all-star tourney if we're concerned about controlling the numbers. I don't know the timelines for the new school, so the availability if the gym might be questionable, but I thought I would throw out the suggestion before somebody gets their mind set on something.