top ten greater cincinnati? (records)

Lancermania said:
Since Andy Wolf won't respond to my emails, I'm trying Jason Lindsey of Lakota East for feedback on the lists to see if we need to check on something. I sent him his first list. I sent Wolf four different lists on four different emails with no response. I picked Wolf and Lindsey becasue they are the best coaches who have been around for a very long time.

If you haven't already, you may also want to contact Coach Spencer at Elder. I think he keeps pretty thorough results and may be able to help.

BTW, you guys are doing a great job. I'm having fun going through all the lists and reminiscing. I wish I could be more help bc I've seen a lot of track (not as much as you guys but a lot nevertheless) but I just didn't keep all the results I've picked up through the years. If I think of anything that may help I'll continue to post and you guys can verify. Otherwise keep up the great work.:thumb:

if i can get hank ray to bring his stats and the records from the anderson invite i can comb through and see what might need to be added.

Seek Up said:
Are there any other relays for which we need individual team members? It seems to be one of my specialties, especially the early years...

I put all the relays on one post, so we could better see what we have. It looks like the only one missing is 1970 Purcell in the 4 X 400 meters.

impartial observer said:
If you haven't already, you may also want to contact Coach Spencer at Elder. I think he keeps pretty thorough results and may be able to help.

I sent Steve Spencer an email around the same time I sent one to Wolf. No answer!!! I also sent one to his head coach--Mike Boeing. Same no response.

I've got a few questions, corrections, comments, for the committee:

100m - no. 10 is Scott Saunders of Princeton, not William

200m - David Deering's time should be 21.64 (21.4 + .24), not 21.51

400m - why do Jim Schnur & Lee Thomas have different times? how is Carl Davis' time so fast (I have 48.9 as his pr)?

800m - Mark Courtney ran a 1:54.72 at state, not 1:54 12 (he should get bumped from the list as a result)

1600m - Ernie Ziegler's name is misspelled

high jump - is Ryan Fitzpatric's name spelled correctly?

4x100m relay - no. 1 should be 41.64 (41.4 + .24), not 41.39. No. 8 team year should be 1985 (I think) not 1988. Also, no. 1 & no. 9 are the same team.

4x200m relay - no. 1 team member is Jeff Roberson, not Robertson. No. 10 entry Hughes finished 5th at state, not 1st.

4x400m relay - no. 8 team Princeton finished 5th @ state. No. 10 team from Purcell should be 1969, not 1970 and is comprised of David Luke, Frank Shands, Jr., Cleo Kelley, & Ron Chambers

4x800m relay - no. 2 team member is Al Degraffenreid, not Pegraffenreid

300m hurdles - Calvin Bostic ran a 38.1 to win Colerain Inv. in 1990

I didn't bother with all the nit-picky things - that can come later.

Last edited:
Lancermania said:
4 X 100 Meter Relay FAT
1. 41.39 1989 Paris Carter, Carlos Britton, Craig Thompson,
Mario Allmon Princeton Regional 1st
2. 41.84 1993 Tom Calhoun, Mike Zellars, Cliff Mathews, Robert Pritchett Princeton State 3rd
3. 42.12 1983 Kevin Arthur, D’Juan Francisco, Gerry Ellis, Hiawatha Francisco Moeller State 1st
4. 42.13 1987 Craig Thompson, Steve Jones, Bob Thompson, Dwayne Hunter Princeton Regional 1st
5. 42.14 1990 Greg Walker, Telly Anthony, Chuck Buchanan Mario Allmon Princeton Regional 1st
6. 42.19 1988 Craig Thompson, Steve Jones, Bob Thompson, Dwayne Hunter Princeton State 2nd
7. 42.32 1998 David Cole, B.J. Bronson, Dan Miree, Brandon Miree Winton Woods Regional Prelims
8. 42.34 1988 Michael Bryant, Lark Dudley, Vinny Clark, Carlos Snow CAPE State 2nd
9. 42.35 1989 Paris Carter, Carlos Britton, Craig Thompson, Mario Allmon Princeton State 2nd
10. 42.45 1990 James Littles, Calvin Bostic, J.J. Lampkin, Carlton Gray Forest Park Regional 1st
On 5-7-83, Princeton won the Roosevelt Inv. 400m relay with a manually timed 41.9 (should convert to 42.14). Team members included Rusty Geverdt, Robert Thompson, Nelson Hutchings, & Scott Saunders

Lancermania said:
4 X 200 meters relay
1. 1:28.10 1978 Jeff Robertson, Greg Kunkel, Orlando Harris,
Brian Hamilton Colerain Regional 1st
2. 1:28.30 1977 Jeff Roberson, Steve Olden, Greg Kunkel,
Tony Robertson Colerain Regional Prelims
3. 1:28.30 1970 Frank Shands, Jr., David Luke, Steve Harris,
Ron McKenzie Purcell State 3rd
4. 1:28.47 2005 Dan Magness, Brian Edwards, Brayden Coombs, Terrance Sherrer Colerain State 4th
5. 1:28.68 2004 Everett Johnson, Brayden Coombs, Erick Fitzpatrick Brian Edwards Colerain Regional 1st
6. 1:28.84 2004 LaTarro Mitchell, Alex Baker, Scott Linz,
Matt Spotts St. Xavier Jesse Owens Classic lst
7. 1:28.88 2005 John Tye, e.J. Morton-Green, Eric Finnell,
Gyasi Parrish Princeton State 5th
8. 1:28.90 1977 Ron Crawford, Donald Tucker, Arnold Homan, Ross. Withrow Regional 1st
9. 1:29.20 1972 Chuck Mills, Ronald May, Jerome Dennis,
Donald May Courter Tech. District 1st
10. 1:29.60 1965 Will Grissom, Al Wills, George Austin,
Mike Davis Hughes State 1st
On 5-7-83 Princeton ran a manually timed 1:29.0 (should convert to 1:29.24) for the 800m relay at the Roosevelt Inv. Team members included Rusty Geverdt, Nelson Hutchings, Scott Saunders, & Vincent Munlin.

Hind-sight being 20/20, I wish we had begun this during the season. We may have had a bit more outside assistance.

Seek Up said:

100m - no. 10 is Scott Saunders of Princeton, not William

I disagree. I have the official results from the Regional meet that year (1984). The results I have is a copy of the results certified as official by Fred Dafler who was both meet manager and referee that year. His signature is visible on the copy. It may be that William was his first name on his birth certificate, but that he preferred to his middle name which may have been Scott. William is also on the 1983 results where he came in third in the 100 at the Regional.

Seek Up said:

200m - David Deering's time should be 21.64 (21.4 + .24), not 21.51

Yes, siree, Seek Up. You are correct here. For some reason I converted his time thinking it was run in yards which is false. The event was the 200 meters at the Norwood Sectional not the 220 yard dash. As Seek Up has pointed out, the correct time should be 21.64. I have made the change on the list. Chalk one up for Seek Up.

Seek Up said:

400m - why do Jim Schnur & Lee Thomas have different times? how is Carl Davis' time so fast (I have 48.9 as his pr)?

Yes, siree Seek Up. There are errors here. Jim Schnur and Lee Thomas both ran 48.4. Their converted times have to be the same. I have changed both to 48.35 FAT.

Care Davis ran 48.9 for third at the state meet. His time is now 48.84. He moves down on the list.

These changes have been updated.

Seek Up said:

800m - Mark Courtney ran a 1:54.72 at state, not 1:54 12 (he should get bumped from the list as a result)

No sir, he did not run 1:54.72. He ran 1:54.12. I have the official results from the OHSAA office not from some newspaper like The Plain Dealer . Courtney does not get bumped from the list.
Seek Up goes down in flames on this one. He is 2-2 so far. How will the King of Track & Field state fare with his list of alleged impropieties? Will he finish with a winning record or get burnt? Stay tuned as we analyze Seek Up claims.

Seek Up said:

1600m - Ernie Ziegler's name is misspelled
high jump - is Ryan Fitzpatric's name spelled correctly?

If you're saying Ernie is spelled wrong, you are correct. That is how the Regional result spell it. The state meet shows Ernst. I have taken out the "a" above on the list.

I know it's a strange spelling for the last name on the high jumper from Moeller, but that is the way it is spelled on MOE's web site.

This one is a wash for Seek Up, half right, half wrong.

Seek Up said:

4x100m relay - no. 1 should be 41.64 (41.4 + .24), not 41.39. No. 8 team year should be 1985 (I think) not 1988. Also, no. 1 & no. 9 are the same team.

Yes siree, Seek Up. I made a boo boo on Princeton's time. I converted it when I should not have. In 1989 the race was already in meters. The time should be 41.64 as you say. I have made the change above.

I have no idea where I got the info on the #8 team or the . It's not the 1985 team as you suggest or the 1988 team. CAPE didn't even place in 1988. In 1985 a CAPE team of Dave Smith, Rick Thomas, Dave Pool, and Carlos Snow did win state but with a time of 43.46. Thus I have deleted both the # 8 and the # 9 teams and added Princeton 1984 and 1986 from the regionals. Any one have any better times. I need names on both teams. Neither one scored at state.

Last edited:
Seek Up said:

4x200m relay - no. 1 team member is Jeff Roberson, not Robertson. No. 10 entry Hughes finished 5th at state, not 1st.

Yes siree, Roberson doesn not have a "t". Yes siree, Hughes was 5th at state.

Seek Up said:

4x400m relay - no. 8 team Princeton finished 5th @ state. No. 10 team from Purcell should be 1969, not 1970 and is comprised of David Luke, Frank Shands, Jr., Cleo Kelley, & Ron Chambers

Yes, siree, 1989 Princeton was 5th at state. I have the year down twice instead of the place.

Yes siree, Purcell did not even score in 1970. It should be 1969. Thanks for the names.

Seek Up said:

4x800m relay - no. 2 team member is Al Degraffenreid, not Pegraffenreid
300m hurdles - Calvin Bostic ran a 38.1 to win Colerain Inv. in 1990

Both the state meet results from 1988 and the state program have it spelled Pegraffenreid. I do remember Meibs telling me it was Degraffenreid. I have made the change.

Absolutely not, Seek Up. Bostin did not win the Col. Inv. in 1990 in 38.1. My microfilm has him winning in 41.6.

In 1989 he won the long jump (21'9½), high jump (6'7"), highs (14.6) and the intermediate hurdles (38.1). To this day the meet record at Colerain is listed as 1989 and not 1990. I have changed his time in the hurdles to 38.34 which did not change his place btw.

Seek Up said:

I didn't bother with all the nit-picky things - that can come later.

We want the nit-picky things now. We are in the final stages of setting the top ten. Bring it on, Seek Up.

Lancermania said:
I disagree. I have the official results from the Regional meet that year (1984). The results I have is a copy of the results certified as official by Fred Dafler who was both meet manager and referee that year. His signature is visible on the copy. It may be that William was his first name on his birth certificate, but that he preferred to his middle name which may have been Scott. William is also on the 1983 results where he came in third in the 100 at the Regional.
Disagree or not, it is Scott Saunders. That is the way he is listed during the entire 1982 season, when he was superfrosh. I agree with you on the middle name theory, but to list him as anything other than Scott would be misleading. During the 1982-85 seasons, he went by Scott in real life.

Lancermania said:
No sir, he did not run 1:54.72. He ran 1:54.12. I have the official results from the OHSAA office not from some newspaper like The Plain Dealer . Courtney does not get bumped from the list.
Seek Up goes down in flames on this one. He is 2-2 so far. How will the King of Track & Field state fare with his list of alleged impropieties? Will he finish with a winning record or get burnt? Stay tuned as we analyze Seek Up claims.
The Enquirer and Plain Dealer are wrong...

Lancermania said:
I have no idea where I got the info on the #8 team or the . It's not the 1985 team as you suggest or the 1988 team.
I didn't get any info on the CAPE team. It is an observation based on the fact that Carlos Snow (aka the Blizzard) graduated in 1985, and, therefore, could not have been on a relay team in 1988. The same goes for Vinnie Clark, I believe.

Lancermania said:
Absolutely not, Seek Up. Bostin did not win the Col. Inv. in 1990 in 38.1. My microfilm has him winning in 41.6.
You are absolutely correct. I was going off my memory, and assumed his meet record at Colerain was from his senior year, not junior year. This is why we have a checks and balances system here on Yappi. BTW, I am going to go on a mission to determine where he ran his manually timed 36.7 in 1990.

All of these lists should be formatted consistently. I assume this will take place when they are put in a spreadsheet or the like. My other nit-picky stuff are things like missing commas, extra periods, etc. They are not errors that make our information incorrect.

Seek Up said:
4x200m relay - no. 1 team member is Jeff Roberson, not Robertson.

No. 10 entry Hughes finished 5th at state, not 1st.
Here are a couple changes that didn't appear to be made.

Seek Up said:
On 5-7-83, Princeton won the Roosevelt Inv. 400m relay with a manually timed 41.9 (should convert to 42.14). Team members included Rusty Geverdt, Robert Thompson, Nelson Hutchings, & Scott Saunders
Let me guess, you have to verify before inserting...

Seek Up said:
On 5-7-83 Princeton ran a manually timed 1:29.0 (should convert to 1:29.24) for the 800m relay at the Roosevelt Inv. Team members included Rusty Geverdt, Nelson Hutchings, Scott Saunders, & Vincent Munlin.
This one can also be added. It really did happen. I am going to find the meet they ran the 1:27.8 and then we will have the true city record.

Seek Up said:
Disagree or not, it is Scott Saunders. That is the way he is listed during the entire 1982 season, when he was superfrosh. I agree with you on the middle name theory, but to list him as anything other than Scott would be misleading. During the 1982-85 seasons, he went by Scott in real life.

ok, I went back and changed it to Scott. Btw, your last post was #300. You win the door prize, skins99 has to tell you what it is.

Seek Up said:
The Enquirer and Plain Dealer are wrong...

In this case, you to say two sources are better than one. That must be the school record at Purcell. Maybe we should check there. I know they had the school records in the gym entrance. I went over there to get the names in the 1600 relay when I was doing the GCL records a while back. They were tied with Elder for the record when I first researched them.

Seek Up said:

I'm going to take your word for this one. I went to the library at the University of Tennesse to results from the Knoxville newspaper in 1996, but I didn't get the 1983 results. I have added them to the list tied for #5. They bump off Princeton 1984. I'm still looking for names on Princeton 1986.

Seek Up said:
You are absolutely correct. I was going off my memory, and assumed his meet record at Colerain was from his senior year, not junior year. This is why we have a checks and balances system here on Yappi. BTW, I am going to go on a mission to determine where he ran his manually timed 36.7 in 1990.

OMG. Seek Up is now a missionary for track and field. It has become his religion. What will the Jesuits say about that?