Your School's All-21st Century Team (2001-present)

If the parents choose to send their kids to any school of their choosing, why is that person's business but their own?
So now you are some kind of school choice advocate? The point is it is unfair when you ask two sets of teams to compete against one another where one group has some selective control over their roster and the other group is relying solely upon the ability level of whoever happens to live in their district and decide to play football. That is not balanced competition and is not equitable for the kids who have chosen to attend their school of residence instead of joining an all star team. I’m done debating with you have a good night. If you feel I’m incorrect at this point you probably always will and I’m perfectly ok with that.

So now you are some kind of school choice advocate? The point is it is unfair when you ask two sets of teams to compete against one another where one group has some selective control over their roster and the other group is relying solely upon the ability level of whoever happens to live in their district and decide to play football. That is not balanced competition and is not equitable for the kids who have chosen to attend their school of residence instead of joining an all star team. I’m done debating with you have a good night. If you feel I’m incorrect at this point you probably always will and I’m perfectly ok with that.

Yes I am

I'm sure I'm forgetting some guys, but here is what I'd have for St. Edward:

QB - Shaun Carney '03 (Air Force)
RB - Raishaun Stover '02 (Bowling Green)
RB - Cole Gest '16 (Indiana)
OL - Alex Boone '05 (OSU - NFL)
OL - Joe Thomas '06 (Pitt)
OL - Jeremy Hines '02 (West Viginia)
OL - Tyler Orlosky '12 (West Virginia - NFL)
OL - Kyle Kalis '12 (Michigan - NFL)
TE - Sam Grant '12 (Oklahoma)
WR - Alex Stump '15 (OSU/Vanderbilt)
WR - Quintel Kent '19 (Michigan)
K/P - Joe Kleinsmith '04 (Indiana)

DE - Deonte Gibson '11 (Northwestern - NFL)
DT - Greg Kuhar '12 (Northwestern)
DT - Darryl Render '12 (Pitt)
DE - Jeff Pietrowski '20 (Michigan State)
OLB - Troy Dipre '15 (Kent St./Minnesota)
MLB - Omar Fattah '18 (Air Force)
OLB - Justin Staples '09 (Illinois - NFL)
CB - Shaun Crawford '15 (Notre Dame)
CB - Tony Butler '16 (Nebraska)
FS - Haruki Nakamura '04 (Cincinnati - NFL)
SS - Andrew Dowell '15 (Michigan State - NFL)

Was waiting for somebody to do St. Eds. I was about to, lol. As a Harding fan, I'm well familiar with these names. Crawford's mother used to be an assistant principal at Harding while the Dowell's parents graduated from Warren Western Reserve. I used to talk to them all the time at track meets. Great people. I feel so bad for Shaun. Just couldn't stay healthy at Notre Dame!

That offensive line though!

Yep. The guys left off the list are better than on some lists first teams.

I don't remember Troy Smith's high school career much (we're the same age and Glenville really didn't emerge until a few years after) and I've seen Cardale Jones go up against Harding. He was nice and Im glad he eventually broke through as a Buckeye, but I went with Smith at QB because he won teh Heisman. Doesn't necessarily mean that he was better in high school (I have a hunch that Jones may have been better at that level), but he did open up the flood gates for the Tarblooders' pipeline to Columbus. I believe he was the last recruit that Tressel took in for the class of 2002.

Another notable I left off was Jayrone Elliot, who spent some time in the NFL at linebacker. Can't remember if he played there or at defensive end at Glenville, but either way, I couldn't leave Freddie Lenix off. He was the best player on their defense in 2004. Seemed like he was in on every tackle! That team almost made it to state. Would've been interesting to see them get a crack at Colerain.

I don't remember Troy Smith's high school career much (we're the same age and Glenville really didn't emerge until a few years after) and I've seen Cardale Jones go up against Harding. He was nice and Im glad he eventually broke through as a Buckeye, but I went with Smith at QB because he won teh Heisman. Doesn't necessarily mean that he was better in high school (I have a hunch that Jones may have been better at that level), but he did open up the flood gates for the Tarblooders' pipeline to Columbus. I believe he was the last recruit that Tressel took in for the class of 2002.

Another notable I left off was Jayrone Elliot, who spent some time in the NFL at linebacker. Can't remember if he played there or at defensive end at Glenville, but either way, I couldn't leave Freddie Lenix off. He was the best player on their defense in 2004. Seemed like he was in on every tackle! That team almost made it to state. Would've been interesting to see them get a crack at Colerain.

Solid job handling Glenville. Tough to narrow a “first-team” list given the talent they have put on the field over the past 20 years. To me, the one glaring omission would be Dareus Hiley, aka “Superman.” Probably the best overall athlete to step on the field for the Tarblooders. Played just about every position except the line during his time there. Went to OSU, but his off-the-field issues that were well known during his Glenville days followed him there as well and he flamed out quickly. Most of those guys during the early 2000’s, even the ones that went pro, would tell you he’s the best player they’ve seen. Believe Ginn Sr. echoed those sentiments as well. Think he was on the Glenville coaching staff last I remember, as well as contributing at the youth level.

Smith only played one year for Glenville and was suspended for I think 3 games. Threw for less than 1,000 yards, and under 50% completions if I recall. He had Hiley, Whitner, and Ginn as targets.

Cardale was better in HS, but still not that great. Arvell Nelson was pretty good, and Jermale Hines might have been more effective than any of them.

Jermale Hines was definitely the best of the Glenville QBs (unless you count Ginn Jr his senior year). Incredible athlete. You could make a case for Jamario O’Neal, Latwan Anderson, and Mike Edwards from Glenville as well. Also I think Jayrone Elliott should be on the list over Robert Rose - Rose was a physical specimen, but Elliott was the better player in HS.

Surprised Frankie Edmonds wasn’t on the Ed’s list.

Jermale Hines was definitely the best of the Glenville QBs (unless you count Ginn Jr his senior year). Incredible athlete. You could make a case for Jamario O’Neal, Latwan Anderson, and Mike Edwards from Glenville as well. Also I think Jayrone Elliott should be on the list over Robert Rose - Rose was a physical specimen, but Elliott was the better player in HS.

You won't find many Harding fans making a case for O'Neal. Mario Manningham lit him up badly, lol. I saw him return a kickoff 99 yards for a TD against Canton McKinley in the state semi though. Great athlete.

I wasn't a huge Robert Rose guy back then either, but he was a physical specimen who seemed to take advantage of his opportunities.

I never said that. Explain to me why Hoban recruits kids from Youngstown and Canton? That’s not even in their own diocese, what is wrong with those kids going to Canton Central Catholic or Cardinal Mooney those teams are no slouches. But those teams are typically filled by athletes that have chosen to receive a Catholic education for most of their K-12 careers and whose families have attended those schools for generations. My issue is bringing in students as Juniors and Seniors that is pure and simple recruiting and totally tips the table in the private schools advantage as no other public school with the exception of Massillon can get away with it.
You apparently don’t realize how many public schools do this. Trust me, it more than Massillon and not just in football.

I'm surprised nobody has done Iggy yet. I'm sure I'll get corrected (LOL), but I'll give it a shot...

Cleveland St. Ignatius
OL- '03 Kevin Sheridan: Boston College
OL- '04 Mike Eynon: Ohio University
OL- ‘14 Jimmy Byrne: Notre Dame
OL- ‘16 Liam Eichenberg: currently at Notre Dame
OL- '18 Darrian Kinnard: current Kentucky Wildcat
QB- ‘04 Brian Hoyer: Michgan State... current Indianapolis Colt
FB- ‘02 Ryan Franzinger: Ohio State
RB- ‘13 Tim McVey: Air Force
TE- '12 Blake Thomas: Ohio State
WR- ‘03 Anthony Gonzalez: Ohio State... 5-year NFL career
WR- ‘06 Robby Parris: Notre Dame

DL- ‘01 Pat Massey: Michigan... 1-year NFL career
DL- ‘04 Mike Massey: Michigan
DL- '08 Steve Bigach: Iowa
DL- ‘15 Dre’Mont Jones: Ohio State... current Denver Bronco
LB- '02 John Kerr: Ohio State
LB- ‘10 Jake Ryan: Michigan... current Jacksonville Jaguar
LB- '10 Scott McVey: Ohio State
CB- '07 Ben Jurevicius: Marshall (baseball)
FS- ‘09 Dan Fox: Notre Dame... 1-year NFL career
SS- '08 Pat Hinkel: Miami (OH)
CB- '05 Greg Baitt - Princeton

K- ‘18 Matthew Trickett... current Kent State Golden Flash
P- '06 Bill O'Malley
KR/PR- '08 Pat Hinkel: Miami (OH)

Ryan Brinson.

I'm surprised nobody has done Iggy yet. I'm sure I'll get corrected (LOL), but I'll give it a shot...

Cleveland St. Ignatius

P- '06 Bill O'Malley
Good list. I'd like to see one of the Ignatius guys weigh in. Hoyer is obviously the most accomplished signal caller for the Cats in terms of his overall football career, but I'd probably go with Nate Szep in terms of his career at Ignatius. Linebacker may be the toughest position group to narrow the list. I don't know if there is another school in the state that has produced as many high-caliber LB's as Ignatius. McVey is a lock, probably Ryan too. Good luck picking between Berger, Eichenberg, Kerr, and others.

Cleveland St. Ignatius

P- '06 Bill O'Malley
Worm you know your !!!!

Edmonds was incredible as a Junior, but not quite as effective as a senior. As I recall, I think he had a nagging ankle injury that seemed to impact his ability to break tackles. It also didn't help that we were running a Woody Hayes style offense under Gibbons. Very weak passing game, and very vanilla run calls. I prefer Gest. A little bigger, a lot stronger, and he had an extra gear once he got into the open field. Also a decent pass catcher.

What year was Hiley? He was so good.

Cleveland St. Ignatius

P- '06 Bill O'Malley
Nice list. Just would add SS Svetina.

I'll Take a shot at Piqua:

QB: Justin Hemm '08
RB: Brandon Saine '07
RB: Scott Foster '01
WR: Austin Netzley '04
WR: Hayden Schrubb '18
TE: Derrick Fry '02
OL: Nate Monnin '17
OL: Phil Lloyd '04
OL: Doug Warner '05
OL: John Vetter '01
OL: Ben Davis '07

DE: Dusty Snyder '07
DT: Quinn Pitcock '02
DT: Tristen Cox '17
DE: Drew McGraw '03
LB: Joey Hudson '05
LB: David Rolf '08
LB: Darien Tipps-Clemons '17
LB: Pete Rolf '07
CB: Kyle Magoteaux '01
CB: Phil Collier '07
S: Bryant Haines '04

I'll Take a shot at Piqua:

QB: Justin Hemm '08
RB: Brandon Saine '07
RB: Scott Foster '01
WR: Austin Netzley '04
WR: Hayden Schrubb '18
TE: Derrick Fry '02
OL: Nate Monnin '17
OL: Phil Lloyd '04
OL: Doug Warner '05
OL: John Vetter '01
OL: Ben Davis '07

DE: Dusty Snyder '07
DT: Quinn Pitcock '02
DT: Tristen Cox '17
DE: Drew McGraw '03
LB: Joey Hudson '05
LB: David Rolf '08
LB: Darien Tipps-Clemons '17
LB: Pete Rolf '07
CB: Kyle Magoteaux '01
CB: Phil Collier '07
S: Bryant Haines '04
Good list, but kinda left out that Piqua's had some absolute STUDS that were first round NFL picks! They played a long time ago, but if they don't have a plaque up in the halls then something is wrong:
Clemons, late 60's, Iowa - Chicago Bears
Gallagher, 70's, Michigan - Chicago Bears

Going to try to do Coldwater's but I'll probably need some help from the older Cavs fans in particular on the lines. Have any suggestions, let me know.

Qb: Keith Wenning '10 Ball State
RB: Tony Harlamert '09 Ohio State
WR: Ryan Geier '08
WR: Caleb Siefring '13
Ath: Brody Hoying '15 Eastern Michigan
OL: Mike Hay '03 Ball State
OL: Malave Bettinger '16 Toledo/Sinclair CC/ Alabama- Huntsville (Baseball)
OL: Eric Lefeld '10 Cincinnati
OL: Joe Huwer '04
OL: Ray Brunswick '09

DL: Tyler Kunk '08
DL: Mitch Fullenkamp '16
DL: Malave Bettinger '16 (See above)
DL: Andrew Schwieterman '14
LB: Ross Homan '06 Ohio State
LB: Zach Dickman '13 Mount St Joseph
LB: Adam Homan '10 Ohio State
LB: Tyler Vogel '01
CB: Caleb Siefring '13
CB: Dan Kanney '03
S: Brody Hoying '16 Eastern Michigan

K: Troy Otten '12
P: Kyle Bergman '13 Ohio Northern
LS: Greg Gilliland '15 Ball State

Last edited:
Surprised that nobody has done Youngstown Cardinal Mooney. I'll give it a shot...

Offense
OL- '05 Mike Philibin... Ohio University
OL- ‘07 Mike Madsen... Miami (OH)
OL- '10 Mark Pelini: Nebraska
OL- '10 Zach Larson: Youngstown State
OL- ‘19 Kyle Jornigan: Purdue
QB- ‘08 Dan McCarthy: Notre Dame
FB- ‘08 Brandon Beachum: Penn State
TB- ‘06 Nate Burney: Akron
TE- '05 Rick Solak: Bowling Green
WR- ‘06 Derrell Johnson-Koulianos: Iowa (played QB at Mooney; Iowa's all-time leader in catches & 2nd in receiving yards)
WR- ‘08 Tim Marlowe: Nebraska

Defense
DL- '07 Ishmaa'ily Kitchen: Kent State... 5-year NFL career
DL- '08 Taylor Hill: Michigan/YSU
DL- ‘09 John Simon: Ohio State; current New England Patriot
DL- '18 Vinny Gentile: currently at Youngstown State
LB- ‘08 Mike Zordich: Penn State
LB- '13 Courtney Love: Kentucky
LB- ‘19 Luke Fulton: current Michigan State Spartan
CB- ‘10 Braylon Heard: Nebraska/Kentucky
FS- '10 Ray Vinopal: Pitt
SS- ‘05 Kyle McCarthy: Notre Dame... 3-year NFL career
CB- '17 Patrick Pelini: currently at Notre Dame

K-'11 A.J. Fox: Akron
P- '15 Denver Martin

Have a pretty good idea about Coffman's 2000- to present best players but I think it is tricky because the guys who are recruited and get offers sometimes aren't the best guy playing at the high school level or as productive or as valuable as smaller college players were. Rating high school performance by merely looking at what colleges recruited them makes it easier to compile a list it can sometimes not be accurate in terms of who PLAYED BETTER and did more for the team at the high school level.

I will give Archbishop Hoban a shot (and will miss some guys, I'm sure):

2001-2019 (senior season noted. No current players listed)
Offense
QB: Tom Sitko '02 - Kent State
RB: Tyrell Sutton '04 - Northwestern (Finished as #1 All-Time Rusher in OHSAA history, currently 2nd)
RB: Todd Sibley '16 - Pitt (Top 10 All-Time Rusher in OHSAA history)
OL: Mario Mascio '03 - Kent State
OL: Ted Steiber '14 - Minnesota
OL: RJ Kelly '17 - Akron
OL: Sean Glaser '04 - Toledo
OL: Nolan Rumler '18 - Michigan
WR: Jake Tersigni '13 - Dayton
WR: Garrett Houser '17 - Robert Morris
TE: Caden Clark '19 - Alabama
PK: Grant Kersh '16

Defense
DL: Greg McMullen '11 - Nebraska
DL: Ryan Thompson '02 - Boston College
DL: LaTroy Lewis '11 - Tennessee
DL: Daeshon Martin '17 - Cincinnati
LB: Jake Beiting '01 - John Carroll
LB: Devin Hightower '19 - Michigan State
LB: Dan Dario '06 - Fairmont State
DB: Jonah Morris '15 - Indiana/Akron
DB: Deamonte Trayanum '19 - Arizona State
DB: Nate Bauer '17 - Toledo
DB: Matt Salopek '18 - Miami (OH)
P: Tom Sitko '02 - Kent State

Other former 2001-19 players that likely merit being on the list: (QB): Danny Clark, Dom Orsini (RB): Tyris Dickerson, Laymon Carter III (OL): Zac Hamlin, David Sutter (WR): Morris, Erin McGough, Nick Marino (TE): Brian Slack, Jimmy Martter, Brett Talcott (DL): Jabari Taylor, Jon Lloyd, Jake Kepler (LB): Matt Collins, Arison Sanders , Dane Kersh, (DB): Tyler Gilchrist, Wil Fleming, Daulson Fitzpatrick

I will give Archbishop Hoban a shot (and will miss some guys, I'm sure):

2001-2019 (senior season noted. No current players listed)
Offense
QB: Tom Sitko '02 - Kent State
RB: Tyrell Sutton '04 - Northwestern (Finished as #1 All-Time Rusher in OHSAA history, currently 2nd)
RB: Todd Sibley '16 - Pitt (Top 10 All-Time Rusher in OHSAA history)
OL: Mario Mascio '03 - Kent State
OL: Ted Steiber '14 - Minnesota
OL: RJ Kelly '17 - Akron
OL: Sean Glaser '04 - Toledo
OL: Nolan Rumler '18 - Michigan
WR: Jake Tersigni '13 - Dayton
WR: Garrett Houser '17 - Robert Morris
TE: Caden Clark '19 - Alabama
PK: Grant Kersh '16

Defense
DL: Greg McMullen '11 - Nebraska
DL: Ryan Thompson '02 - Boston College
DL: LaTroy Lewis '11 - Tennessee
DL: Daeshon Martin '17 - Cincinnati
LB: Jake Beiting '01 - John Carroll
LB: Devin Hightower '19 - Michigan State
LB: Dan Dario '06 - Fairmont State
DB: Jonah Morris '15 - Indiana/Akron
DB: Deamonte Trayanum '19 - Arizona State
DB: Nate Bauer '17 - Toledo
DB: Matt Salopek '18 - Miami (OH)
P: Tom Sitko '02 - Kent State

Other former 2001-19 players that likely merit being on the list: (QB): Danny Clark, Dom Orsini (RB): Tyris Dickerson, Laymon Carter III (OL): Zac Hamlin, David Sutter (WR): Morris, Erin McGough, Nick Marino (TE): Brian Slack, Jimmy Martter, Brett Talcott (DL): Jabari Taylor, Jon Lloyd, Jake Kepler (LB): Matt Collins, Arison Sanders , Dane Kersh, (DB): Tyler Gilchrist, Wil Fleming, Daulson Fitzpatrick

Sutton was a monster. Still can’t believe Ohio State hyped up Maurice Wells from Florida instead of just offering Sutton.

Good list, but kinda left out that Piqua's had some absolute STUDS that were first round NFL picks! They played a long time ago, but if they don't have a plaque up in the halls then something is wrong:
Clemons, late 60's, Iowa - Chicago Bears
Gallagher, 70's, Michigan - Chicago Bears
They would have made the list had the post asked for it. They were a little before the 2001 cutoff.