Yianni arbitration set

bdhof

A date has been set for the arbitration hearing regarding a protest field by Yianni's coach, Rob Koll, for 7/29. I was wondering what was going on with this. For those needing a brief on this, Yianni was ahead at the end of the 2nd match at Final X (Zain won the 1st match of the best of 3). Cael threw the challenge brick after the match concluded. The refs reviewed it and awarded some points to Zain (and/or took pts away from Yianni). The protest was based on the review going back too far in the match, the timing of the brick being thrown, and apparently, a rule requiring or suggesting that if a score is changed then that portion of the match remaining will be re-wrestled (if Yianni knew he was losing and not winning that would have changed his wrestling in the last 60 seconds or so). Yianni beat Zain at the US Open, then lost two straight at Final X (the 2nd match being disputed). Then Yianni beat Zain at Yasar Dogu to make things more interesting. BTW, Zain got injured in that Dogu match and DF'ed out of the tourney. Unlike Dake, Zain is not a returning world medalist and can't request a delay in the re-match, if there is one. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I'm sorry, but things like this are bad for the sport. Ref's being overturned with arbitration/court cases/matches re-wrestled etc etc. Bad calls are made in sports all the time....deal with them. Don't want them to happen? Don't let it happen in your wresting and dominate. Simple. Only in wrestling is this type of stuff an issue.

^ That is about the most ignorant statement I have read all day.

I am so sure you would be so dominate over a wrestler of Retherford's level...

"Bad calls are made in sports all the time..." Yes, so lets continue to make incorrect calls the norm in sports culture...

There needs to be a way to make a final decision on the day of the event. We can't have challenges, court cases and arbitrations that go on for over a month.

Hopefully USA Wrestling sees this as a problem and fixes the process of appeal. I believe all sports are still trying to find the best way to use replay for their respective events. Needless to say, there's still a ways to go.

This is not how warriors settle things. That said, the original replay should never been allowed, Yianni right that he would have wrestled different if knew he was behind.

Alhamdulillah

brianwr112, I agree that this whole process should have been turned around quicker. However, I do think that USA Wrestling is in the right to have a mechanism for athletes to protest what they perceive as failures of the referee team to follow proper procedure. I don't know if this could realistically have been resolved day of the event, but I would think that a 24-48 hour window to protest then turnaround in a week (i.e. schedule a hearing, get the input of all involved) is more than reasonable.

NOTE that I said failure to follow proper procedure, since there is clearly a mechanism in place (the challenge/replay review system) to address incorrect/missed calls.

People look at these things through the spectrum of "sport" without realizing there are real life financial ramifications from incorrect calls. The earning power that comes with winning a match and making a team long term can change people's live. While the optics of it all may not be appealing, these guys are hoping to make a living in this sport and similar to if you were wronged in your career you'd look at any possibility to make it right.

From Yianni Twitter
Just to clarify... the arbitration process began today but a decision won’t be made for about a week or two. Thank you everyone for the good luck and the kinda wishes but that’s all I know for now.

From Yianni Twitter
Just to clarify... the arbitration process began today but a decision won’t be made for about a week or two. Thank you everyone for the good luck and the kinda wishes but that’s all I know for now.

Another week or two???
Is this being run through the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles?

He's in the finals in Poland. Received a forfeit in the semis to the Hungarian he was down to 9-0 to and then came back to beat him. (Forget the tourney?)

He's in the finals in Poland. Received a forfeit in the semis to the Hungarian he was down to 9-0 to and then came back to beat him. (Forget the tourney?)

Believe that was at Yasar Dogu. Finals of that will be tomorrow against Oganesyan of Ukraine (3rd at Euro Games, went 1-1 at 2017 Worlds).

Hamilton's other tweet said that Cornell's three other wrestlers eligible for the Olympic redshirt (Vito Arujau, Andrew Berreyesa, and Max Dean) all were considering it as well. Vito is on the Junior team that competes in a couple weeks, and Berreyesa and Dean are on the U23 team, which competes at the end of October. Have been wondering for a while how many of those U23 guys (Eierman has already announced) will take that redshirt, since Worlds is so close to the season.

If he can make it sure, but I think 197 will be easier to win this year than 184. Common belief is that Zahid is going 84; the best 97 coming in would be Kollin Moore

I don't disagree. I'm excited to see Ben wrestle again. Yianni's 9-8 win was a crazy match. Good win.

MPhillips, thanks for the video. Yainni is special. I'm not sure if he makes the US team or not this year, but if not, his time will come soon.

Not the first time something like this has happened, oldest Smith & Iowa guy, Randy Lewis, Gable protested, I believe Smith won the initial spot, Gable protested, courts awarded spot to Lewis, ended up being a gold medalist, I believe the 1984 Olympics...politics EVERYWHERE..

Not the first time something like this has happened, oldest Smith & Iowa guy, Randy Lewis, Gable protested, I believe Smith won the initial spot, Gable protested, courts awarded spot to Lewis, ended up being a gold medalist, I believe the 1984 Olympics...politics EVERYWHERE..
The court (arbitrators) didn't award the spot to Lewis, rather the arbitrators required that the two re-wrestle the last 84 seconds of the match. They decided that Lewis should have been awarded 2 pts for an exposure that was missed by the refs. Leroy Smith won the original bout 8-7. I'm not sure what the score was when they went for the final 84 seconds, but Lewis eventually won 7-4. Smith then appealed to federal court but it was dismissed.

Apparently (per FRL) the 7/29 arbitration was "a motion to dismiss" by Zain. It was denied, meaning the arbitration will go thru. Apparently, it will happen today with a decision today or tomorrow.

I believe a challenge could have happened in the first ten seconds of the match. The 4 / 2-2 sequence.