Xavier Musketeers 2016-2017

most polls i've seen have X in the top 10.

nice to see them get some pre-season respect but really means nothing until they actually play some games.

excited to see what this team can do this year. no Myles Davis to start could have a slight impact early on, but i'm hoping it turns into a couple positives - 1. young guys like Goodin get some experience early so that they can contribute later on in the season 2. hoping Myles does whatever he needs to do to come back and finish his senior season off the right way.

i think the biggest difference on this team will be in rebounding. Farr is, IMO, the best rebounder i've ever seen for Xavier. the way he went to the boards on both ends - there may be guys who did it AS well, but i can't remember anyone who rebounded harder and more relentlessly than him. i believe he will be the toughest to replace.

guards and scorers will be just fine. in the end, i think this will be Sumner and TB's team. those two will be the guys who take the "big shots" in crucial moments for us.

excited to see how this team evolves over the season.

GO MUSKIES!

most polls i've seen have X in the top 10.

nice to see them get some pre-season respect but really means nothing until they actually play some games.

excited to see what this team can do this year. no Myles Davis to start could have a slight impact early on, but i'm hoping it turns into a couple positives - 1. young guys like Goodin get some experience early so that they can contribute later on in the season 2. hoping Myles does whatever he needs to do to come back and finish his senior season off the right way.

i think the biggest difference on this team will be in rebounding. Farr is, IMO, the best rebounder i've ever seen for Xavier. the way he went to the boards on both ends - there may be guys who did it AS well, but i can't remember anyone who rebounded harder and more relentlessly than him. i believe he will be the toughest to replace.

guards and scorers will be just fine. in the end, i think this will be Sumner and TB's team. those two will be the guys who take the "big shots" in crucial moments for us.

excited to see how this team evolves over the season.

GO MUSKIES!

Farr was a fine rebounder but for all time I'll take Hill, West and Grant. For the really old timers they would probably pick Bob Pelkington by a landslide.

What happened with Davis? I know he's suspended indefinitely but I never heard what happened. A PM would work too if need be.

With Myles I think XU is a top 10 team, definitely. Without? Well that's a lot of leadership and experience gone. Still a top 20 team though.

What happened with Davis? I know he's suspended indefinitely but I never heard what happened. A PM would work too if need be.

With Myles I think XU is a top 10 team, definitely. Without? Well that's a lot of leadership and experience gone. Still a top 20 team though.

some legal issues dealing with girlfriend/restraining orders.

i don't know all the details because the Enquirer won't publish all of them.

my guess is there are other things as well. Mack's quote yesterday was something to the effect of "Myles has to take of some things, some of them legal, and when/if he does, he has a chance to rejoin the team".

I heard he smashed her cell phone and then later violated the TRO. It was obviously an ugly breakup and Myles couldn't handle it. Hopefully he is over it now and can just pay the money and leave her alone.

Farr was a fine rebounder but for all time I'll take Hill, West and Grant. For the really old timers they would probably pick Bob Pelkington by a landslide.

Aah, Bob Pelkington. Nicely done, gocards. :cool::cool:

I remember Pelkington from my childhood. My stepdad, who was a UK fan, would always moan and groan that X padded Pelkington's stats -- with, of course, no evidence.
Yeah, it would be hard NOT to say that he wasn't X's greatest all-time rebounder. After all, he led the nation his senior year, graduating with a career avg. of almost 17 rebounds per game.

I guess I'm officially a "really old timer".

Bballer05, I think, has it right that Farr will be the toughest to replace as far as rebounding is concerned.
In fact, replacing both Farr and Reynolds is a pretty tall order. I have a lot of confidence in the coaching staff, though, to bring this new group along. There's definitely some talent there.

Bballer05, I think, has it right that Farr will be the toughest to replace as far as rebounding is concerned.
In fact, replacing both Farr and Reynolds is a pretty tall order. I have a lot of confidence in the coaching staff, though, to bring this new group along. There's definitely some talent there.

Xavier has several big guards and I think they are going to have to get more rebounding from the guard position. Myles Davis is a big loss in that respect.

Xavier has several big guards and I think they are going to have to get more rebounding from the guard position. Myles Davis is a big loss in that respect.

Good point. We're replacing Farr and Reynolds with a mixture of Gaston, Gates, and Tyrique Jones. Hopefully, O'Mara continues his improvement.

If X has a weakness in competing with the top level teams, I fear it's going to manifest itself in the frontcourt.

Good point. We're replacing Farr and Reynolds with a mixture of Gaston, Gates, and Tyrique Jones. Hopefully, O'Mara continues his improvement.

If X has a weakness in competing with the top level teams, I fear it's going to manifest itself in the frontcourt.

I'm not concerned at all yet with the question marks in the frontcourt. I honestly believe Gaston will be a better all-around player than both Farr and Reynolds, even after sitting out a year and having just one left to play. I also think we are gonna see more Tyrique Jones than originally thought. That kid is a monster. So ready for some Muskie basketball. Gonna be another good year fellas!

i agree. first i heard it would be in January for league play.

now i've heard some rumors that it could even be before Christmas.

not sure, besides the legal issues being resolved, what else he needs to "take care of", as Mack said, but let's hope he does what he needs to do.

It would be nice to get him back before Big East play. There would certainly be an adjustment period as roles/playing time would change to account for him.

All in all, though, his presence is sorely needed.

side note: Congrats to Semaj Christon for making the Thunder's roster. good luck to him as he starts his NBA career (hopefully he's in the league long enough to be able to call it that)

UPDATED DEPTH CHART:

PG - Edmond Sumner(So, 6'6), Quentin Gooden(Fr, 6'4)
SG - JP Macura(Jr, 6'5), Malcolm Bernard(Sr, 6'6)
SF - Trevon Bluiett(Jr, 6'6),
PF - Rashid Gaston(Sr, 6'9), Tyrique Jones(Fr, 6'9)
C - Sean O'Mara(Jr, 6'10)

Obviously this depth chart doesn't include Kaiser Gates(out 4 weeks) or Myles Davis(out the first semester).

UPDATED DEPTH CHART:

PG - Edmond Sumner(So, 6'6), Quentin Gooden(Fr, 6'4)
SG - JP Macura(Jr, 6'5), Malcolm Bernard(Sr, 6'6)
SF - Trevon Bluiett(Jr, 6'6),
PF - Rashid Gaston(Sr, 6'9), Tyrique Jones(Fr, 6'9)
C - Sean O'Mara(Jr, 6'10)

Obviously this depth chart doesn't include Kaiser Gates(out 4 weeks) or Myles Davis(out the first semester).

With Gates out, that leaves our FC depth kind of depleted. my guess is Bluiett plays a lot of 4 until Gates is healthy.

i would think, until Gates comes back, that T Stainbrook might see some minutes as well. maybe like Landon Amos a couple years ago.

With Gates out, that leaves our FC depth kind of depleted. my guess is Bluiett plays a lot of 4 until Gates is healthy.

i would think, until Gates comes back, that T Stainbrook might see some minutes as well. maybe like Landon Amos a couple years ago.

They'll roll with the 8 scholarship guys unless in serious foul trouble/someone else gets hurt. Stainbrook is no where near the level of athleticism Amos had. Bluiett will slide to the 4 occasionally with guys like Gooden coming in at the two and pushing Macura/Bernard into the 3.

They'll roll with the 8 scholarship guys unless in serious foul trouble/someone else gets hurt. Stainbrook is no where near the level of athleticism Amos had. Bluiett will slide to the 4 occasionally with guys like Gooden coming in at the two and pushing Macura/Bernard into the 3.

Stainbrook looked like he could handle himself just fine in the Blue/White scrimmage at Muskie Madness. i realize it's just a team scrimmage but having him play some minutes against some non-conference foes and give some guys a break early in the season could help for later on in the year.

i agree. first i heard it would be in January for league play.

now i've heard some rumors that it could even be before Christmas.

not sure, besides the legal issues being resolved, what else he needs to "take care of", as Mack said, but let's hope he does what he needs to do.

Myles will be back once the first semester concludes.

Mack, on the radio yesterday, asked about the return of Myles and Gates:

"First of all, Myles isn't on our team, so I'm not talking about him now."

doesn't sound so good to me.

i could be reading it totally wrong, though.

Mack, on the radio yesterday, asked about the return of Myles and Gates:

"First of all, Myles isn't on our team, so I'm not talking about him now."

doesn't sound so good to me.

i could be reading it totally wrong, though.

You are. Mack is just tired of answering the question. He has said multiple times he will talk about Myles to the media when he has news to share. Myles will be back once the first semester ends, barring a legal setback

Like Mack, I was very disappointed with X last night. Tons of turnovers and only 4 made 3s. The good shooting will come but X has to clean it up big time. Cut back the turnovers and also have more focus on D. You aren't gonna be able to rely on simply outscoring every team on this schedule.

I will say Mack had a tough time adjusting some things successfully, but a win is a win. Gotta get better over the weekend and beat Buffalo on Monday.

most would think we should have won by 15 or whatever Vegas had the spread as, but Lehigh is a GOOD team. they will be in the NCAA tournament. they have the two-time Patriot League player of the year (and i'm sure he will win it again this year).

when you have 8 scholarship guys and 4 of them had never put on a Xavier uniform for a "real" game, then i'll take the win.

so really, until we get Gates and Myles back and are at full strength, i'll take any win we can get. they just won't seem that easy until we get all guys back and healthy.

was very interested when listening to Mack's post game comments on the radio. basically called out Bernard for being "hurt" and going to the lockerroom. basically said guys are going to get some knicks, bumps, bruises, etc during games - gotta play through it. he didn't.

very telling.

Interesting. I didn't hear those comments, but I thought Bernard had a decent game despite the injury. He contributed in multiple ways.

If X cuts the turnover number in half, they win that game by at least the spread given Lehigh had 20 turnovers themselves. So I agree Lehigh is a decent team, X has to significantly clean it up regardless.

Interesting. I didn't hear those comments, but I thought Bernard had a decent game despite the injury. He contributed in multiple ways.

If X cuts the turnover number in half, they win that game by at least the spread given Lehigh had 20 turnovers themselves. So I agree Lehigh is a decent team, X has to significantly clean it up regardless.

How much would Lehigh lose by if you also cut their turnovers in half? :shrug: