Winter Club

bgmobile12

With the new batch of club players getting ready for the tourney season what teams are looking strong? I know columbus has added a few new clubs which is nothing but good for the state of volleyball in Ohio as whole as boy's volleyball makes a push to become an OHSAA sanctioned sport. Also, it will just help improve the level of volleybal for the columbus area as they try and catch up with Cinicy and Dayton

There are 3 clubs in central Ohio this year. Matchpoint and capcity from last year, and then vangard is new. Vangard might be new, but they have the most team by far--with a total of 7 teams. With matchpoint having 1 team and capcity having 2 teams, that brings the total to 10 teams and probably near 100 players. How many teams/players do the other regions have? The South has the best feeder teams, and the most younger players--how do they do it?

In the South it is basically cincinnati attack and i think cincy peppers has a younger team... But cincy attack has three 18s teams two 17s teams i think 1 16s team and prolly 1 15 team not sure
The 18-1 team consists of
OHs Lee Meyer, Strasser from centerville, Blubaugh from Mt. Vernon
MHs Danny Brandel, Valencia from centerville, and the huge kid from Sycamore Markart or something like that
S Drew Kurtz
L/ DS Unreal kid from Indiana, Chandler Bell
Pretty loaded team if you ask me
17-1 has
OH Andy Mckenna, Alex Hill from Centerville, Ryan Doll
MH Mark Shipp and Steve Walsh(X)
WH Tony Baldrick
S Vinnie Palopoli
L/ DS Mark Hamad, Ryan Engdahl
Decent team but could be a lot better with other kids that did not try out

Actually BLubaugh is not on the 18-1 team but James Emming is from Moeller and the unreal kid from Indiana is Dan Penrod He's going to BAll State

My bad i heard that from what i thought was a respectible source, but i guess not. Still that team is unreal without him. Will both of those teams be in the Chicago tourney late December?

Also, Cincinnati Attack runs programs for boys as young as U11.
Two years ago they sent U11, U12, U13 and U14 teams (along with all the highschool age teams) to Nationals in Louisville. When Nationals are close like that, they took advantage. Last year, it was a bit much for many younger players to go to Nationals so Cincinnati Attack arranged "mini" tournaments with teams from Columbus and Cleveland in June. 6 or 7 teams from Cincinnati and Northern Ky participated. The games were all in Columbus. Only 2 other teams (one each from Cloumbus and Cleveland) participated. These were for U13 and U14 boys teams.
The U12's had 2 teams and one teams of U11's last year. They arranged friendship tournaments in June on 3 dates and invited some local girls U12 teams to participate. That really increased the level of play. At the younger ages, boys and girls use the same net height and ball (volley lite for U12 and under). Also, the better girls teams can usually beat the best boys teams due to their superior ball control and other skills.

F-I-F Fif! said:
17-1 has
OH Andy Mckenna, Alex Hill from Centerville, Ryan Doll
MH Mark Shipp and Steve Walsh(X)
WH Tony Baldrick
S Vinnie Palopoli
L/ DS Mark Hamad, Ryan Engdahl
Decent team but could be a lot better with other kids that did not try out

our team is better than the summer team expect us to be near the top in all of our tournaments...we have alot of talent on our team

ryan doll a starter on x's state team last year
ryan engdahl who was on x's varsity behind chandler bell
steve walsh is a very versatile middle
alex hill is a talented outside good addition to team
tony baldrick wont find a better weak side hitter and is more consistent than used to be
vinnie palopoli one of the best setters in the GCL with great abilities
andy mckenna improved alot since freshmen year has great potential important part of the team
mark ship constantly improving probably one of the best junior middle
mark hamad one of the best lebros in GCL

Attack 17-1 said:
our team is better than the summer team expect us to be near the top in all of our tournaments...we have alot of talent on our team

ryan doll a starter on x's state team last year
ryan engdahl who was on x's varsity behind chandler bell
steve walsh is a very versatile middle
alex hill is a talented outside good addition to team
tony baldrick wont find a better weak side hitter and is more consistent than used to be
vinnie palopoli one of the best setters in the GCL with great abilities
andy mckenna improved alot since freshmen year has great potential important part of the team
mark ship constantly improving probably one of the best junior middle
mark hamad one of the best lebros in GCL

not hiding anythign with that name for sure

You are overhyping the majority of those players
You were right when you stated the facts about players but the rest is your opinion and a very biased opinion Ill give you that Hamad is good and that Shipp is MAYBE one of the best middles for his age but other than that i disagree

True some players from that team are being over hyped but from what i've seen the biggest improvements are coming from ryan doll and the three moeller players

I agree with that assessment for the most part Mckenna is not one of the best players on that team though HAMAD= hugely underrated best forearm passer around set passes are just OK though
Vinnie Palopoli is not one of the best setters in the GCL either before him is Kurtz Wessels Cherry Kues and maybe even Meyer from Lasalle he is very good ill admit that but not one of the best in GCL

I agree with Hamad being an underrated passer and i think we'll be suprised this season watching Mckenna(when he gets in) and Polopoli is definatly better than Kues and Meyer, id even be willing to say he could play with or over Cherry this season for Moeller but we'll have to see.

Because you're all that tried out...very good team but there could be some better players that didnt try out

Yea i would say Palopolli is the sixth best setter in the GCL behing Kurtz Cherry Meyer Wessels and Kues But still good tho

17-1 is pretty good but imagine if they had the Wessels, Betke, Romeo, and maybe some other kids not as well known but still good

Attack 17-1 said:
F-I-F Fif! so how are we 17-1 if we dont have the best players on our team

I heard the 17-1 team lost to the 17-2 team, so you obviously don't have the best players on your team. Your team is probably good, but there are probably alot more players out there who could play for your team.

Yea Doll would definitely be an all star. Hamad IMO would also be one being that he is one ---- of a defender.

IMO there is a question about it Hamad is very good... BUt so is Bertke id say they are about even for best in class of 08.
Who are the top 2 outsides, middles, setters and weaksides of 08 class for south region?

Agreed with hamad and bertke as libros
outsides-Doll,Mckenna
middles-Ship,Romeo
Setters-Wessels, Polopoli
Weaksides-Baldrick, I dont don't really know anyone else who can math baldrick in the class of 08

eldersports08 said:
Alex Bertke is the best libero in class of 08 no question

You probably haven't seen hamad play then because I have seen both elder and mcnick and hamad seems to be better... But hey you go to elder so you are probably right.

hamd plays for the attack 17-1 team and is good...his forarm passing is one of the best out there but his hands arent that strong but he is improving

everyone else on the 17-1 team is improving alot
doll - doing unreal like ususal

palapoli - may not be one of the best varsity setters but probobly one of the best for his age

mckenna - i played aginst him at a tournement at darby and got to watch him play some canada team and his performace stunned me...if he plays like that he will be very succesful for the team he plays for

the middle (really tal kid) mark? - probobly one of the best middles of his age group

their weak side has his bad moments but when he gets ahold of the ball its scary what he can do with it

engdahl has been hurt so hes been playing mostly backrow so we will see what comes out of him

basically their team will be very good and mckenna doll and palapoli will lead the team to many victories in future tournements

You guys should really add in the 17-2 team and mix and match a little bit.

Outside - Oberschmidt can be good at alot of things he does on the court
An extremely talented public guy from mason, I think?, he can jump through roofs and hits really hard, he seriously should've been looked at alot more for the 17-1's, wasn't smart whoever made that decision.

Middle - Meyer should be on 17-1, knowing last year how he quit after the 06 season and didn't play again until the beginning of winter club volleyball season (talk about rust, I wouldn't even be able to serve it over the net if I didn't play year round), he plays the whole court and has great skills in all categories.

Weak side - Another public player who is left-handed and can sometimes be extremely consistent.

These guys should be added to the top 08 list.

Last edited:
You guys should really add in the 17-2 team and mix and match a little bit.

Outside - Oberschmidt can be good at alot of things he does on the court
An extremely talented public guy from mason, I think?, he can jump through roofs and hits really hard, he seriously should've been looked at alot more for the 17-1's, wasn't smart whoever made that decision.

Middle - Meyer should be on 17-1, knowing last year how he quit after the 06 season and didn't play again until the beginning of winter club volleyball season (talk about rust, I wouldn't even be able to serve it over the net if I didn't play year round), he plays the whole court and has great skills in all categories.

Weak side - Another public player who is left-handed and can sometimes be extremely consistent.

These guys should be added to the top 08 list.

Disagree Obershmidt is from McNick and he is a way better setter than outside hitter but he's still not great but he is good and has size he should do good for McNick
Meyer you said you were talkin about the one on 17-2's right? Cause if so i completely disagree that's all im sayin
The lefty kid... Completely disagree again he is about 5'11" puts up no block and really can't hit or pass well in my opinion
Anyway id say the 17-2's bright spots are Oberschmidt if he would play setter, the other outside... He's only about 5'10" but he can sky and has potential, and the short setter and the libero

Also from out of the south region to other places i would include the OH for Cville in 08 dont know his name but he has a smooth swing, and then the middle and libero for St. Ed's (libero is Rett Cash?) dont know middles name