Will the State Tournament be moved in the near future?

We've all heard or read the issues between Ohio State University and the OHSAA in regards to using the Schott. It got moved from it's long-standing Thursday-Saturday schedule to Friday-Sunday, which I think a large majority, if not all, are not a fan of. Then I've heard of it getting possibly moved to the Q up in Cleveland.

The OHSAA recently moved the state basketball tournament to UD, while baseball and softball are up in NE Ohio, so is swimming.

What is the latest in regards to the OHSAA moving the state wrestling tournament to a different venue?

Last edited:

I assume there is a multi year contract signed for the tournament. Does anyone know if that's at the end of its term? I would think plans need made well in advance if you are going to move it.

I think most are fine with shortening the season, but that will mean they have to cut out the state duals. The first 2 weekends of February are the state duals and then the following 3 weekends are the state series. OHSAA could shorten the season on the back end, but that means the coaches association would have to go back to the old way they ran the state duals, top 2 teams at each district with the underclassmen point system.

I think most are fine with shortening the season, but that will mean they have to cut out the state duals. The first 2 weekends of February are the state duals and then the following 3 weekends are the state series. OHSAA could shorten the season on the back end, but that means the coaches association would have to go back to the old way they ran the state duals, top 2 teams at each district with the underclassmen point system.
Indiana does a multi-class duals state championship the first weekend of January. They use a detailed qualification scoring system based on the grade and advancement of every kid in each team's lineup at the individual tournament of the previous season. This predicts very accurately who the best teams will be in the following season. Teams earn their bids in year X and get their invitations for the following year's Team State by the end of February when the individual tournament ends. Team State is finished by January 10.

What about University of Cincinnati? I know they are in club stages of wrestling now being a member of the big12. This type of event can only help indoctrinate a new sport to a school. OU has the convocation Center. Covelli Center at YSU. Wolstein Center at Cleveland State.

I also believe Tiffin University should hold the Girls State championship since they were the first college in Ohio to have a women's program. This could mitigate the need for a larger venue and pay homage to a School for being first on the scene for girls in Ohio.

Those that cant regulate themselves will always complain about things. Some of those people even have the nerve to blame all their massive injuries on how long the season is. They might do two a days all season long, make their kids wrestle every single event while cutting hard to make weight each week and some have mandatory Sunday practice.Then they use all 20 points and compete in state duals as well.
A few weeks before the season ends theyre ramping up their club stuff and complaining about the length of season at the same time. Not to mention the pre season 4-5 days a week starting in August.
You can start your season after Christmas if you think its too long. Id prefer getting back the week we lost

Hopefully not moving north the travel for all of us from the south of the state sucks. Been doing sense youth. Where headed north this weekend for jh to so for my kid from sw part of Ohio to wrestle in state your looking at roughly 5 to 600 dollars. It was nice to meet in the middle for high school . (State capitol)!!! Makes sense to me. I mean they could rotate it there are plenty off choices of venues. And that goes for youth and high school if can’t be done in Columbus rotate so we all get the comfort of staying home to prepare.

Nutter might seat 12,500 ish and not sure it can get 10 mats. Dont think it had warm up area.

Nutter might seat 12,500 ish and not sure it can get 10 mats. Dont think it had warm up area.
McLin gym is also attached to the Nutter center. I thought it would have been used for warm-ups?
1710547031712.png

I believe they use 12 for MVKWA championship. And the back section of the building is McLin gym, which I believe is 4 or 6 full basketball courts, with the Berry rooms above them. I used to work there in college, awesome job lol! Most people don't realize the arena is about 2/3 of the building

Your right about the seats but shot only holds 18500 and them upper seats are never filled pretty much set where ever you want to up there

Why would anyone want to take Schott away from the kids? It’s been there for over 25 years, and it’s great every year! I have yet to hear a wrestler say that they don’t want to compete at the Schott. I’d argue it’s the greatest high school sporting event in the country!

The Irony is the same people that want to move venues are the same people that want to go from 3 to 1 division. Consequently these are also the same people that want shorten the season, (only on the back end. They would never want to start the season after Christmas) and shorten the number of weight classes. For most of the elite kids, none of them take a break after season; they go directly into freestyle. My overall synopsis is that people love to complain. OHSAA could adhere to all of the stated requests and people would still gripe. Just cut the season completely and make it all club!

Why would anyone want to take Schott away from the kids? It’s been there for over 25 years, and it’s great every year! I have yet to hear a wrestler say that they don’t want to compete at the Schott. I’d argue it’s the greatest high school sporting event in the country!

The Irony is the same people that want to move venues are the same people that want to go from 3 to 1 division. Consequently these are also the same people that want shorten the season, (only on the back end. They would never want to start the season after Christmas) and shorten the number of weight classes. For most of the elite kids, none of them take a break after season; they go directly into freestyle. My overall synopsis is that people love to complain. OHSAA could adhere to all of the stated requests and people would still gripe. Just cut the season completely and make it all club!
I wish it would stay there and they definitely should not shorten the season if anything start it earlier so we end earlier so kids wanting to train for freestyle and go to Fargo has more time to train.

Has to stay in Columbus. I hate leaving home. lol seriously though Columbus being centrally located is most equitable for all schools. If the schott was out, Nationwide could host and still have the same capacity.

Move the girls tournament to St. John’s! The historic value alone would be awesome.

I believe they use 12 for MVKWA championship. And the back section of the building is McLin gym, which I believe is 4 or 6 full basketball courts, with the Berry rooms above them. I used to work there in college, awesome job lol! Most people don't realize the arena is about 2/3 of the building
They don’t use full size mats, they use jh size mats

We've all heard or read the issues between Ohio State University and the OHSAA in regards to using the Schott. It got moved from it's long-standing Thursday-Saturday schedule to Friday-Sunday, which I think a large majority, if not all, are not a fan of. Then I've heard of it getting possibly moved to the Q up in Cleveland.

The OHSAA recently moved the state basketball tournament to UD, while baseball and softball are up in NE Ohio, so is swimming.

What is the latest in regards to the OHSAA moving the state wrestling tournament to a different venue?
The dates for 2025 have already been set and it was announced so ateast for next year location will still be at the Schott!!

I believe I’ve read that the OHSAA does not want to hold the tournament the same weekend as the Arnold Sports Festival; that always ends on the first Sunday in March. This year it was held February 29-March 3; in 2017 it was held March 2-5 and the wrestling tournament was held March 8-10.
As for shortening the season and moving the tournament to the weekend before the Arnold, currently the OSU’s men’s and women’s basketball teams and men’s hockey team play at Value City Arena. OSU would have to block out those three teams that weekend for the tournament, which may be something that they may not want to have to do, I have no idea. This year the regular season for the men's hockey team and women's basketball team ended before the wrestling tournament while the men's basketball season ended last Sunday with a road game.
A new factor in the equation may be that construction of a new ice arena just north of the Covelli Center is slated to start in a few months. Both the OSU men’s and women’s hockey teams will play there. The last I read is that it is scheduled to be completed in April 2026. When that facility opens, OSU would have only two teams to consider instead of three if it were to host the wrestling tournament the weekend before the Arnold. However, there may be other reasons that others are aware of as to why OSU does not want to host the tournament that weekend.

Why does the season hav to be shortened? Girls bb is ending this weekend and boys next weekend.

The length of wrestling season is fine.