Will Anderson and Turpin combine into one school?

Jrob12579

Do you think this could be a realistic possibility? I know the superintendent postponed the decision to combine schools. Also, how do you think this will impact the football teams? Obviously, they will be D1 and have more players. I know when West Clermont combined Glen Este and Amelia there were issues at first combining two rival schools into one.

scbuckeye99

Historically it seems combining schools does not equate to necessarily better athletics. West Clermont and Berea-Midpark as two of the more recent examples would indicate that at least for football the combining of schools has not produced better results on Friday nights.

Gamma Gobbler

Springfield North and South combined into one school a while ago. Now, Springfield HS is a legit contender for a DI championship but it that came with some growing pains and a coach that is fairly good at recruiting area talent.

boothmark77

Do you think this could be a realistic possibility? I know the superintendent postponed the decision to combine schools. Also, how do you think this will impact the football teams? Obviously, they will be D1 and have more players. I know when West Clermont combined Glen Este and Amelia there were issues at first combining two rival schools into one.
No, it is not a possibility. In 2010, Forest Hills School District pulled this card, but decided against it. They did the exact same thing this year, and yesterday decided against it.
They will put a levy on in May 2023 or Nov 2024.

cincifbfan

No they will not combine. The communities will literally riot before it is seriously considered. People buy houses specifically for their kids to go to either Anderson or Turpin and they cannot stomach the thought of their kids going to the other school.

JUSTGOPLAY

Yeah but, West Clermont was kind of a unique deal. Amelia and Glen-Este operated reasonably well for 40 years with defined territories within one district. Any kids south of Clough Pike went to Amelia, the kids north of Clough went to Glen-Este. Around 2000 they essentially went to one high school operated out of two separate buildings, which really screwed things up. For example Amelia had no marching band, because the kids that focused on music went Glen-Este......Math and science went to Amelia, regardless of where they lived. When Union Township wanted to build Glen-Este a brand new High School with state of the art facilities, the district essentially said you can't do it unless you build Amelia the same thing. That's when they came up with the idea of one school in one building, and it really was the best solution for WC. My advice to Anderson and Turpin is to hold on to your neighborhood High Schools as long as you can, if you can afford it.

Last edited:

skins99

Work is the scourage of the drinking class
Will they? No.
Should they? Of course.

The way the superintendent has hinted and threatened to merge the schools has been a masterclass in gaslighting voters to support the next levy.

This /\. As an Anderson Alum I thought the wise thing to do was to build one high school 20 plus years ago, instead they went the Nagel route.

HSFB Fan

It is up to the community that the district serves to save it....

It cost a lot to run a district, even more to run a district like forest hills or northwest local by their design.

FHSD is now facing what NWLSD has been facing for the last 20 years...NWLSD has now hit rock bottom and will need to combine to survive.

FHSD can hold off a slow death for 10 to 15 years (like NWLSD did) by lowering standards, reducing busing, cut extra and co curricular programs going to a basic core standard of education to reduce the amount of support needed. Both are highly rated schools but give it 10 years with no income to support them and the district will have to look at ways to keep itself operational. EX: Selling property building central schools etc.

HSFB Fan

Will they? No.
Should they? Of course.

The way the superintendent has hinted and threatened to merge the schools has been a masterclass in gaslighting voters to support the next levy.
They will have to pass massive increases to keep the district operational. I doubt the community is willing to swallow what it will take to keep the current district outcomes as a two district model. Time will tell....

ELKSONE

#EPND
Yes! However, a combined school doesn't equal better sports programs. You need coaching that sets a high bar and a student population supported by parents who accept the challenge without question.
When Kettering Fairmont West and East combined in 1982, it didn't result in better programs. The football program has finally taken off under its current head coach. However, that's only been for about 7 years now.
Same with Springfield, the football program took off when they acquired a coach who figured out how to make winners of the student athletes. Prior to that, Springfield was just another ordinary program.

HSFB Fan

Yes! However, a combined school doesn't equal better sports programs. You need coaching that sets a high bar and a student population supported by parents who accept the challenge without question.
When Kettering Fairmont West and East combined in 1982, it didn't result in better programs. The football program has finally taken off under its current head coach. However, that's only been for about 7 years now.
Same with Springfield, the football program took off when they acquired a coach who figured out how to make winners of the student athletes. Prior to that, Springfield was just another ordinary program.
True, The same thig you mentioned happened when GE and Amelia combined. There are growing pains with redeveloping programs at multiple levels. When the school size increases as well as the division of play it takes time to build especially if the community does not buy in.

HSFB Fan

I also wonder why Northwest and Colerain don't combine.
They have a majority on the school board that want to combine. The resident survey however wanted to keep the failing model and the superintendent supports that. They put up a levy that was soundly defeated to rebuild what they have. The only chance of passing a levy is addressing the transportation issues and overcrowding issues that has to include combining HS.

ELKSONE

#EPND
I hear that Northwest school district is going to open enrollment.
And why would anyone want to go there? Not knocking the school as I don't know anything about them. However just curious if there is a reason people would take advantage of their open enrollment?

cardinalsin

And why would anyone want to go there? Not knocking the school as I don't know anything about them. However just curious if there is a reason people would take advantage of their open enrollment?
District. That's Colerain and Northwest high schools.

skins99

Nagel is so dominant in middle school sports you might think the district people would get the idea that keeping those kids together for high school might yield good results.

Taking out the sports aspect which is minor, they should have considered the cost. The district still provides a quality education at a reasonable cost but that will be harder and harder to do as they have two ageing buildings. The long term smart play is one high school imo and hopefully they go that route at some point.

Having said all of that where on gods green earth do you put it???

HSFB Fan

Great question Northwest school boarders several other districts, I can see them attracting some CPS kids.
Currently the district is being redrawn.
The district is large with students from Colerain Township, Green Township, Springfield township etc.
There are several more meetings to see what next year will look like. NWLSD district borders, WW, Mt Healthy, FF, CPS, Oak Hills, Ross, Harrison
Most people do not move into NWLSD because of the schools but there is a fair amount of student movement in and out of the district as many try to escape the CPS schools and rent within the district and those that can that are in the rental areas upgrade (if they can).

Many do not know Colerain other than what they hear on the NEWS with the Cincinnati border or Springfield township border. The area is large with a lot of rural areas that has big $$$$ homes that send their kids to privates or home school. Heck some singer dude named Nick something bought his dad a house in Colerain and was seen attending Colerain and UC events in the early/mid 2000s.
Most of the new construction will not be sending their kids to NWLSD campuses...

Last edited:

HSFB Fan

Taking out the sports aspect which is minor, they should have considered the cost. The district still provides a quality education at a reasonable cost but that will be harder and harder to do as they have two ageing buildings. The long term smart play is one high school imo and hopefully they go that route at some point.

You are 100% correct...NWLSD has been reducing student activities and coursework for over the last 20 years.
The two HS model is outdated and, communities struggle to justify the additional operating cost of basically running two school districts.
If the FHSD levies do not pass look for reduction in services and student opportunities.
Each year a little more gets cut until the district looks like NWLSD...May take 10 years or so but without $$$ it will happen.

MoeDude

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

A few years ago it was on the ballot and the Anderson and Turpin families were too emotional about it so they voted to keep the schools separate and pumped a ton of money rehabbing Anderson High School which predictably went over budget and experienced delays when they encountered problems in the old Anderson building. I attended the meetings discussing the merger and like I said too many people were emotional about it and did not look at it from common sense dollars and cents perspective. I see now we have a Forest Hills Marching Band. They could have built a new school on the Beech Acres land. I hear that land is up for sale again they should revisit building one high school on that property

Unfortunately the emotion between keeping two separate schools runs deep. What's ironic is years ago they manage to only build one middle school so I don't know why they can't have one high school .

ELKSONE

#EPND
A few years ago it was on the ballot and the Anderson and Turpin families were too emotional about it so they voted to keep the schools separate and pumped a ton of money rehabbing Anderson High School which predictably went over budget and experienced delays when they encountered problems in the old Anderson building. I attended the meetings discussing the merger and like I said too many people were emotional about it and did not look at it from common sense dollars and cents perspective. I see now we have a Forest Hills Marching Band. They could have built a new school on the Beech Acres land. I hear that land is up for sale again they should revisit building one high school on that property

Unfortunately the emotion between keeping two separate schools runs deep. What's ironic is years ago they manage to only build one middle school so I don't know why they can't have one high school .
I lived in Anderson Township for 10 years. They have an imaginary set of railroad tracks that divide the people. There is certainly an area that is white collar and educated versus the side that more blue collar. Those on the wealthy side don't want to see the integration from my point of view.

skins99

All of that is sad but true. Anderson is over 50 years old (1972 I think), outdated and putting money into that building is just a waste other than the necessary things to keep it up until you build a new school.