• Russia

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Jackson Center

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Troy Christian

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I lost all respect for him with that. How can you respect him after that response. It's obvious he can't possibly live anywhere close to Eastern Cuyahoga County and reply like that lmao.
We are starting to see what side actually cares too much about high school sports. Lutheran East has always been seen as a GOOD alternative to the surrounding publics for boys AND girls. They barely have football lol its not a "sports academy" by any strecth of the imagaination

lol, just like every player from Richmond has been “with/associated with” the school since grade school and earlier.. so all is good sorry about tragic family matter. My point remains about every school (except those Mac schools) have kids come and go. Most move for family reasons some for scholastic (hard to believe) some for athletic reasons some for other reasons. However, if they do it legally (follow the rules set) it is legal and the reason doesn’t matter at that point.
You can believe whatever you want. I'm telling you that every single player on that floor was in one of the Lima Catholic grade schools and did not transfer to LCC other than the one individual mentioned.

Good season hawks proud of you. Something ain’t right with this Richmond heights team this is Columbus wherle all over again. Hopefully they will move up next division. We had some open looks just couldn’t shoot had to rush to much.
Also, your guys didn’t look nearly as confident as they did against LCC. Specifically #24 and #11.

Good season hawks proud of you. Something ain’t right with this Richmond heights team this is Columbus wherle all over again. Hopefully they will move up next division. We had some open looks just couldn’t shoot had to rush to much.
POT MEET THE KETTLE

Hiland has a CB# of 11. This means they had either 11 kids on their roster that did not live in the school district OR had 5 kids that did not live in their district and one of them came to Hiland after the 9th grade.

new rule for the tournament should be to mandate embroidered H’s (for “homegrown” ) and I’s (for imports 😡) for every jersey that takes the court, since the level of discussion constantly reduces to looking at these kids like they’re cattle

“that boy ain’t homegrown! He ain’t got an H on his jersey. All ours’ do!” <scoff>

Seek help. This is becoming a weird fetish buddy.
Can’t like this comment enough. Transferring and coming from multiple elementary and jr high programs is only acceptable if you are catholic. That is basically the synopsis of this thread. And before you hate I went to a private catholic jr hs and hs

POT MEET THE KETTLE

Hiland has a CB# of 11. This means they had either 11 kids on their roster that did not live in the school district OR had 5 kids that did not live in their district and one of them came to Hiland after the 9th grade.
Love ya Spirit, but disagree with you here on the pot-kertle. The complaint isn't about transfers. I have lived under the assumption that this is the US of A and that people are free to move and make educational and sports decisions for their kids. That applies to Hiland kids and Rich Hts kids.

I'm going to assume that Nick Wigton is the best player in that CB number. Nick is a nice 6-3 guard. His dad is a pastor, from Kentucky, and basketball is important to them. They live west of MLB. Had a son who loved football and graduated from there. Nick's thing was basketball. If possible, of all the places in the area for him to play, where would he have the greatest opportunities.

Now, we can say the same about the RH kids. But here is the difference - Nick isn't playing for an elite AAU team and isn't being recruited by D1 colleges. He didn't bring a bunch of other elite AAU players with him. Nick and his teammates are typical in size and talent for a D4 school. RH is not.

I think it's great that RH can accumulate that kind of talent. I just want them to play in D1 not 4. If they didn't play in D4, Russia would likely have a state championship. But they don't because of this ridiculous situation.

Nick counts the same in CB #s as anyone of those elite AAU players. And that is the problem. FWIW

Love ya Spirit, but disagree with you here on the pot-kertle. The complaint isn't about transfers. I have lived under the assumption that this is the US of A and that people are free to move and make educational and sports decisions for their kids. That applies to Hiland kids and Rich Hts kids.

I'm going to assume that Nick Wigton is the best player in that CB number. Nick is a nice 6-3 guard. His dad is a pastor, from Kentucky, and basketball is important to them. They live west of MLB. Had a son who loved football and graduated from there. Nick's thing was basketball. If possible, of all the places in the area for him to play, where would he have the greatest opportunities.

Now, we can say the same about the RH kids. But here is the difference - Nick isn't playing for an elite AAU team and isn't being recruited by D1 colleges. He didn't bring a bunch of other elite AAU players with him. Nick and his teammates are typical in size and talent for a D4 school. RH is not.

I think it's great that RH can accumulate that kind of talent. I just want them to play in D1 not 4. If they didn't play in D4, Russia would likely have a state championship. But they don't because of this ridiculous situation.

Nick counts the same in CB #s as anyone of those elite AAU players. And that is the problem. FWIW
Someone can make justifications for every kid, every move and feel good about it. Bottom line is the CB formula recognizes when kids do not live inside the district and it makes an adjustment. That's all I was pointing out and Hiland has historically been a benefactor of kids transferring in without moving in. Just because one kid is good and another is not as good means nothing to the formula. Movement has been happening for a while at Hiland, You can ask the Hiland AD if you need confirmation.

Someone can make justifications for every kid, every move and feel good about it. Bottom line is the CB formula recognizes when kids do not live inside the district and it makes an adjustment. That's all I was pointing out and Hiland has historically been a benefactor of kids transferring in without moving in. Just because one kid is good and another is not as good means nothing to the formula. Movement has been happening for a while at Hiland, You can ask the Hiland AD if you need confirmation.
Ha! I will ask him. I will be having a mtg with him on a non-school/sports matter in a few weeks. He was a transfer, for sure, that really mattered. One could argue that it threw the entire competitive balance of D4 out of whack for 2 years. But don't forget that part of it was an exceptional group of homegrown kids with unusual size and talent. He took them from strong contenders to prohibitive favorites - which they cashed in. And don't forget - that was 12 years ago! Lol

But I do need you to acknowledge that Hiland has 1 transfer on the team right now. He open enrolled in 8th grade and because they live west of Mlb. So, there isn't a lot of them.

If there are talented basketball kids in adjacent school districts who want excellent coaching and have the opportunity to play at the state tournament, Hiland would seem to be the place to go, but very few do. The culture is different, housing is limited and expensive, and unless you work at ProVia, it's removed from major employers. It just doesn't seem to be a good fit for a lot of people.

My beef is with the OHSAA and the CB formula. If the problem is teams with D1 talent accrued by transfer playing in D3-4, then the solution is to identify those teams and slot them for tournament play where they can compete with teams of similar talent. But if you count Nick Wigton and four 5'7" kids with minimal talent as the equivalent of 5 elite AAU players transferring to one low enrollment school, you get the obvious mismatch and competitive imbalance we saw Sunday morning. FWIW

Last edited:
"My whole thing is about challenges,” said Quentin Rogers, Richmond Heights’ coach and athletic director. “So any challenges we’re willing to take. At the end of the day, they’re games. We want to play the best teams and get pushed, so if that opportunity presents itself, sure.”

So if Richmond Heights does indeed opt up the first year its actually legal are you guys going to admit yall were wrong about them?

Berlin Hiland had a transfer in 2012 when they beat homegrown Richmond Heights in the regional final 41-40?! Say it aint so lol

Last edited:
"My whole thing is about challenges,” said Quentin Rogers, Richmond Heights’ coach and athletic director. “So any challenges we’re willing to take. At the end of the day, they’re games. We want to play the best teams and get pushed, so if that opportunity presents itself, sure.”
So if Richmond Heights does indeed opt up the first year its actually legal are you guys going to admit yall were wrong about them?

Berlin Hiland had a transfer in 2012 when they beat homegrown Richmond Heights in the regional final 41-40?! Say it aint so lol
🎯

From the daily record interview with mark he thinks it’s a good chance that Richmond heights will go division one. Hope that happens. It will be interesting next year in the division changes and how the state tournament will be.

I also thought with Cb numbers that if you win to much you automatically move to a different division? Like three years in a row ? I think the Hiland girls had to move to division 3 because of the cb wins.

Ha! I will ask him. I will be having a mtg with him on a non-school/sports matter in a few weeks. He was a transfer, for sure, that really mattered. One could argue that it threw the entire competitive balance of D4 out of whack for 2 years. But don't forget that part of it was an exceptional group of homegrown kids with unusual size and talent. He took them from strong contenders to prohibitive favorites - which they cashed in. And don't forget - that was 12 years ago! Lol

But I do need you to acknowledge that Hiland has 1 transfer on the team right now. He open enrolled in 8th grade and because they live west of Mlb, he counted 2 of the 11 CB points. The others that don't play basketball make up the other 9. So, there isn't a lot of them.

If there are talented basketball kids in adjacent school districts who want excellent coaching and have the opportunity to play at the state tournament, Hiland would seem to be the place to go, but very few do. The culture is different, housing is limited and expensive, and unless you work at ProVia, it's removed from major employers. It just doesn't seem to be a good fit for a lot of people.

My beef is with the OHSAA and the CB formula. If the problem is teams with D1 talent accrued by transfer playing in D3-4, then the solution is to identify those teams and slot them for tournament play where they can compete with teams of similar talent. But if you count Nick Wigton and 4 soccer players as the equivalent of 5 elite AAU players transferring to one low enrollment school, you get the obvious mismatch and competitive imbalance we saw Sunday morning. FWIW
If Richmond Heights goes D1 you will find another team to cry about if your team does not win. People are never happy.

If Richmond Heights goes D1 you will find another team to cry about if your team does not win. People are never happy.
Lol.

You are stuck on a false narrative.

I actually care very little about winning and losing. I do care about competitive fairness. We have divisions because we realize that bigger enrollment schools have advantages that make competition against small enrollment schools unbalanced. We don't (or shouldn't) allow boys to play against girls in most varsity sports because we recognize that boys have size, strength, and athletic advantages. And so on and so forth.

When a small enrollment school receives elite talent via transfers it creates the same situation as a D1 school competing in D4.

I have no connection to Russia, but they are the injured party here. I believe they were the best true D4 team in the state - and they don't even get to hang up a runner up banner.

But that Rich Hts team didn't do anything wrong. They did what the OHSAA said they can do and they played who and where they were told to play.

But anyone with eyes saw on Fri and Sun that there was one team in the D4 final four that did not look like the other 3 teams. Before the season anyone who knew anything about D4 basketball, knew that RH would win the state championship again. That team beat the D1 state champion. Lol. When that situation arises because elite players were drawn from significant distance and sources, it demonstrates that the OHSAA's competitive balance approach does not address the cause of competitive imbalance. That's the issue.

But instead of arguing against the those fairly obvious and self-evident facts, I guess it's easier to dismiss it by labeling it as "crying because you didn't win." Lol

Also, your guys didn’t look nearly as confident as they did against LCC. Specifically #24 and #11.
What exactly is your point? Richmond Heights is not LCC. The defense is different. Hiland played Lutheran East tough before losing earlier this year but that was with a healthy team. Hiland is down 3 of their top 6 players. Hiland played a double ot game in the semi final. They were underdogs in that game. If Hiland shoots a good percentage the games closer but they still don't win. Hiland doesn't have any depth in a game like that and it showed.

Don't say everyone who watches basketball knew Richmond Heights would win. They were like 6 in the AP poll. Technically you can say they were underdogs.
Not 1 person in Ohio thought Richmond Heights would lose. They weren't underdogs. They recruit to win and do whatever they have to do to stay at the D4 level. Good job. 3 in a row. Let's make it 4 next year. Maybe they can beat another small town school and press at the end of the game and try to throw dunks down with under a minute to play. Way to go. Lift that D4 trophy high and be proud. This is not a kids problem it's a leadership problem and it always has been.

But it was ok when Hiland went 56-2 with a transfer. Ok lol. Lets also leave the tears for Russia out of it because they handled it 100000% better than the "adults" on here

But it was ok when Hiland went 56-2 with a transfer. Ok lol. Lets also leave the tears for Russia out of it because they handled it 100000% better than the "adults" on here
You to? Bertha must be recruiting friends like some schools!😂 I know what the Russia coach said. Trust me you wouldn't make this comment if you knew how they felt.

Part of my point, this has been going on for YEARS.

Yes. I was at that game at the fieldhouse and didn't hear any complaining about all-Ohio transfers that night.

I also thought with Cb numbers that if you win to much you automatically move to a different division? Like three years in a row ? I think the Hiland girls had to move to division 3 because of the cb wins.
Success factor has never been part of CB
It was in the initial proposal but never implemented (believe it was voted down?)

Not 1 person in Ohio thought Richmond Heights would lose. They weren't underdogs. They recruit to win and do whatever they have to do to stay at the D4 level. Good job. 3 in a row. Let's make it 4 next year. Maybe they can beat another small town school and press at the end of the game and try to throw dunks down with under a minute to play. Way to go. Lift that D4 trophy high and be proud. This is not a kids problem it's a leadership problem and it always has been.
Clueless