Which State Champs Are Most Likely To Repeat In 2021? --- POLL

Which state champs are most likely to repeat in 2021? (vote for up to 3 teams)

• Total voters
That would be bizarre at least to me considering Van Wert was D5 not long ago. Could we get bumped up to D5? I'm sure its possible. If Kirtland drops to 6, I will already circle the Springfield playoff game now. That will be a dandy.
Van Wert is 17 off of div 3 so that may be a long shot to move. Coldwater is 11 away from Div 5 and Kirtland is only four over from Division 6.

Any serious talk among the ohsaa to have smaller schools in Ohio to go to "8 man football"? I see it's a real thing in other parts of the country.

I think X returns a lot. Pope can confirm that for me or correct me if I'm wrong. I think Lasalle returns to beat Hoban, with Hoban retooling next year. And I picked Kirtland and Coldwater altho I know little about them other than that they win a lot of state titles. I predicted after the 1st week this year that X was going to go 0-6 and make a run for the state title (with covid opt-in rule allowing all teams in). They had a brutal GCL schedule along with games against Iggy and Eds, and a traditional Indy power Indy Cathedral. I was half right in saying they'd make a run at the title, but half wrong as they swept the GCL, Iggy and Eds while losing to Indy Cathedral. They definitely got better as the season progressed, as they do in many years. Their last title was a year when they went 5-5 and squeaked into the playoffs only to run the table.

This is not a change in enrollment county year anymore. I think they will still do the CBP tinkering, though that hasn't been officially announced. I also don't know how they are going to view teams that did not contest the season in terms of where the division cut lines are established. Those are all factors in how the divisions will swing - which could play a role in who is a title contender in which division.

Van Wert would seem to be positioned well to contend for a title based on not losing much per the starting lineups from the television broadcast.

This is not a change in enrollment county year anymore. I think they will still do the CBP tinkering, though that hasn't been officially announced. I also don't know how they are going to view teams that did not contest the season in terms of where the division cut lines are established. Those are all factors in how the divisions will swing - which could play a role in who is a title contender in which division.

Van Wert would seem to be positioned well to contend for a title based on not losing much per the starting lineups from the television broadcast.
Van Wert returns a bit on D.

And I was taught Defense wins Championships. Maybe I should have given Cougars more consideration initially.

I would like to see Versailles (MAC) take on Kirtland in D-V in 2021, or for Kirtland to drop down to D-VI and face the MAC's top team in that division.

Also, I was so impressed with NMS's qb Brungard in the final against Coldwater that NMS might be a favorite in D-VI next year.

Yes it is, this is the end of the two year cycle. They will use enrollment data again in the spring as well as CB number to arrive at new numbers.

I think X returns a lot. Pope can confirm that for me or correct me if I'm wrong. I think Lasalle returns to beat Hoban, with Hoban retooling next year. And I picked Kirtland and Coldwater altho I know little about them other than that they win a lot of state titles. I predicted after the 1st week this year that X was going to go 0-6 and make a run for the state title (with covid opt-in rule allowing all teams in). They had a brutal GCL schedule along with games against Iggy and Eds, and a traditional Indy power Indy Cathedral. I was half right in saying they'd make a run at the title, but half wrong as they swept the GCL, Iggy and Eds while losing to Indy Cathedral. They definitely got better as the season progressed, as they do in many years. Their last title was a year when they went 5-5 and squeaked into the playoffs only to run the table.
X returns 16 starters. 9 on offense and 7 on defense. Plus another couple that played in select packages.

Yes it is, this is the end of the two year cycle. They will use enrollment data again in the spring as well as CB number to arrive at new numbers.

You are correct 2020-21 is the second year of the enrollment cycle. HOWEVER, they are not doing a new enrollment count this year, instead pushing that aspect back to 2021-22 (Fall 2021). Next year's divisions will be determined by the current enrollment number plus this year's competitive balance number -- unless they decide to change something with competitive balance b/c of the varying issues with this season.

Very impressive! And I just read the MAC has 37 all-time playoff era state titles!
The 4 team GCL South has 12 titles since 2002, and 19 all-time playoff era state titles.
Don't ever compare the MAC to the GCL. The competition and talent in the GCL is superior. The GCL teams have to schedule out of state powers because not many Ohio schools want to play them.

Yeah, they were reeling big time for a bit. Dropped to D5 in 13-14, won 4 games combined while there. Went 0-10 in 2016. Recker has done an amazing job turning the program around.
After the 2010 season there were some dark years there for sure.

VW loses 3 on offense and 3 on defense. Line is all back and depending on some development, we may deeper across the board. The X factor is losing the leadership of Treece and Johnson. Curious to see how this carries over to other sports this year and next year. And our kicker is back. :cool:

The MAC resume is impressive however I think the GCL record is very different since during the playoff era all the teams were DI until LaSalle dropped to DII 5/6 years ago. The GCL literally had to "eat their own " every year to get out of region 4. Just this year ST X had to beat Moeller and Elder in rematches during the playoff. From what I read the MAC during that time has been spread our over at least 4 divisions which clearly gave lots of championship opportunity. This is borne out in the fact that once Lasalle dropped down they have won 4 State titles. I don't think they had won a single playoff game before that.
Three divisions at most for the MAC, not Four. Most of the teams are in two an they do cannibalize themselves as well in the playoffs. Take a look at
Their playoff opponants. It is not uncommon to have to beat two mac does in a playoff run.
CW had more luck in D5 than they have in D6, mostly because they have not had to face MAC opponants in D5

Don't ever compare the MAC to the GCL. The competition and talent in the GCL is superior. The GCL teams have to schedule out of state powers because not many Ohio schools want to play them.
85% of the schools in the state are SMALLER than the GCL teams so, yeah they don't want to schedule them. Also, the GCL is tucked down in the corner of the state so not many teams will drive 3+ hours for a regular season game.

GCL is a fantastic league. MAC is the league of champions (all sports, look it up). Praising one does not diminish the other. If that's how you took it, then that's a "you" problem.

Three divisions at most for the MAC, not Four. Most of the teams are in two an they do cannibalize themselves as well in the playoffs. Take a look at
Their playoff opponants. It is not uncommon to have to beat two mac does in a playoff run.
CW had more luck in D5 than they have in D6, mostly because they have not had to face MAC opponants in D5
Have there not been MAC schools in Division IV in the last two decades? I thought Coldwater was in Division IV, when I went to see them play Wyoming (in Troy in 1998)-- and perhaps more recently than that? What about Versailles? Who is the biggest enrollment MAC school-- and the were they last in Division IV?

Have there not been MAC schools in Division IV in the last two decades? I thought Coldwater was in Division IV, when I went to see them play Wyoming (in Troy in 1998)-- and perhaps more recently than that? What about Versailles? Who is the biggest enrollment MAC school-- and the were they last in Division IV?
At a glance it appears the last MAC D 4 team was 2008 Coldwater. However there were only 6 divisions that year. So the Mac apparently never had more than 3 divisions in a single year

Coldwater's last year in D4 was 2008. Versailles is now the biggest enrollment school in the MAC and they were last D4 in 2004

Decent chance Coldwater and Kirtland are both DVI next year.
D6 could get crowded......if cut off number stays at 163 boys and Kirtland drops 3 boys they could drop. Versailles count this year was 168, there are 9 more senior boys than freshman so that puts the count around 159. D6. FINAL NUMBERS WILL BE INTERESTING.

Last edited:
At least we have a -SHIP. Mass. has nothing. Have a nice turkey.
Have seen you pop up on many threads busting on Massillon. I’m not a Tiger fan, but do appreciate the passion they have for their program. They have not won in playoff era, but to say they have “nothing” is a bit harsh.

My only caution to you is to not seek your joy in demeaning others. While your team does have a playoff title, it was 30+ years ago & when your school was D1. Now VASJ is D5, the guys who won that title are 50 years old, and your program is fairly irrelevant football wise (except for the coaching issues). Making fun of others might draw some attention at yourself

Last edited:
85% of the schools in the state are SMALLER than the GCL teams so, yeah they don't want to schedule them. Also, the GCL is tucked down in the corner of the state so not many teams will drive 3+ hours for a regular season game.

GCL is a fantastic league. MAC is the league of champions (all sports, look it up). Praising one does not diminish the other. If that's how you took it, then that's a "you" problem.
If MAC was so powerful schools their size would dodge them. Being in "tucked" in SW Ohio has nothing to do with teams scheduling them. Teams don't schedule them because they're dominant. Look it up!