When will AAU be back in Ohio?

Good, but there’s hard stipulations. A lot of one on one and little team stuff at this point.
IT is a start and most of us will take it. With things changing for the better at the rate they are, in two more weeks we could be relaxing the guidelines and by the end of July we could be allowed contact.

Absolutely, I think for the most part, the football/basketball kids are going to have to choose one or the other over the summer.
Then, basketball only kids will have to decide whether to play AAU or with the HS team. Plus, gyms will be scarce if team summer leagues are going H2H with AAU tournaments. I guess one could be during the week and the other on weekends but that is gonna be a ton of stress over a short period where kids are playing 12 to 15 games a week, not counting whatever practices there are.
Plus, there will be situations where an AAU coach is also a varsity coach so how do they manage that?
Yeah, it's going to be a mess.
Most of the AAU programs have canceled. Even if the tournament was to still organize, find a place to play and located workers and officials the number of teams to attend could make the tournament a wast of time. Most tournaments make the majority of their income from the younger teams, say below U15. Without a high number of those teams and considering the gym availability competing with HS teams you may not have many options.

I have heard that high level high school AAU events, i.e. EYBL, UAA circuits will not take place this year.
I would think this would be the normal for many organizations since total activities were closed and they are still not open. It takes longer than a few weeks to organize, schedule and promote a beneficial tournament for all. Even if mid June did open to full contact, promoting a mid-late July or August tournament would be difficult. And the later it is the more you deal with reduced teams anyway because of fall sports.

With the guidelines in place -training will be All individual with no one else touching the ball or anyone else providing defense whether token or full go. I would also say that many schools will not be opening for at least 2-4 weeks for safety and liability issues. This opening seems to be more about conditioning and weight lifting for football.

With the guidelines in place -training will be All individual with no one else touching the ball or anyone else providing defense whether token or full go. I would also say that many schools will not be opening for at least 2-4 weeks for safety and liability issues. This opening seems to be more about conditioning and weight lifting for football.
Small groups are allowed and most schools have more than one ball so not sharing a ball should not be a problem in a large gym with multiple hoops and a lot of space.

How is circuit basketball a money grab?? If a kid makes the team, the team covers all expenses (food, hotel, travel, gear). Each team is given a lump sum of money from the shoe company for being on the circuit. Only expenses for parents is if they want to also attend the games. That is their choice if they want to spend $$.
This is what I heard too. My son knows of a boy on the circuit. Does not cost his mother a penny but the guy is gone a lot during the big months of May and July?

And just like with soccer there is a free portion, but that is reserved for the elite of the elite. To use that as the defense of a youth sport would be disengenous to say the least. The overwhelming portion of both competive youth soccer and basketball is an expensive endeavor for families. That expense is largely due to capitalistic preying on these families by organizations, leagues, and tournaments. The idea of "If I can train better and more, get on the best teams, playing the most games, and traveling the furthest to the biggest tournaments, I'll get my kid a leg up on my neighbor" has taken over our society in every youth sport. The organizations, leagues and tournaments know this and are capitalizing on it. So they keep milking people for all they can get away with.
Honestly Philly, I have not been able to find a sponsored soccer team now that the DA is gone. I don't think the highest level ECNL teams are free to the parents but I may be wrong. But regardless, your point about AAU is well taken.

And just like with soccer there is a free portion, but that is reserved for the elite of the elite. To use that as the defense of a youth sport would be disengenous to say the least. The overwhelming portion of both competive youth soccer and basketball is an expensive endeavor for families. That expense is largely due to capitalistic preying on these families by organizations, leagues, and tournaments. The idea of "If I can train better and more, get on the best teams, playing the most games, and traveling the furthest to the biggest tournaments, I'll get my kid a leg up on my neighbor" has taken over our society in every youth sport. The organizations, leagues and tournaments know this and are capitalizing on it. So they keep milking people for all they can get away with.
I've coached spring / summer ball in a large organization, and they aren't making much if any money. At around $400 a kid (with scholarships for financial need which I used about once a year), there isn't much left after gym rental for practice, tournament entry fees, and a couple of sets of uniforms. Of course parents have other expenses if they go to games, and they give up a lot of time. But a lot of parents have kids that just like to play and this is where the games are in these months.

As for the tourney sponsors, I would guess that they have a lot more dropping through to the bottom line.

This is what I heard too. My son knows of a boy on the circuit. Does not cost his mother a penny but the guy is gone a lot during the big months of May and July?

I can say this is correct because I went through the process, though the one I was dealing with was a new program to Northeast Ohio, but it's a former NBA player who already has an Adidas backed Guantlet team. So the Cleveland team was going to play regional this year and hopefully move up to The Gauntlet next year. Plus, even though this team wasn't going to be on the circuit they were given the green light to use the name and the Adidas uniforms (and if they played in an Adidas tournament had to where Adidas shoes). So, technically since it wasn't a circuit team yet, there was a "charge" but TBH, if your son (or daughter) is good enough, you should not have to pay a dime even if it's not an elite team. Mines been playing for three years on some mid level teams and I haven't had to pay a dime outside of some travel expenses unless I wanted to be at an out of state tournament.

With that, I do know for a fact that there are definitely plans to have AAU in some fashion this summer. Just got a message about a team in the Akron area that has four tournaments scheduled and wanting to see if mine was interested in joining. It's a team that already has two of his HS teammates on it, but it looks like they are allowing up to four from the same school now, from the little I have been told. I'm still trying to get more information about it, though.

NCAA extended their recruiting dead period thru the end of July. So there won’t be any college coaches at AAU tourneys in July. I would expect that to limit some of the AAU events in July.

I can say this is correct because I went through the process, though the one I was dealing with was a new program to Northeast Ohio, but it's a former NBA player who already has an Adidas backed Guantlet team. So the Cleveland team was going to play regional this year and hopefully move up to The Gauntlet next year. Plus, even though this team wasn't going to be on the circuit they were given the green light to use the name and the Adidas uniforms (and if they played in an Adidas tournament had to where Adidas shoes). So, technically since it wasn't a circuit team yet, there was a "charge" but TBH, if your son (or daughter) is good enough, you should not have to pay a dime even if it's not an elite team. Mines been playing for three years on some mid level teams and I haven't had to pay a dime outside of some travel expenses unless I wanted to be at an out of state tournament.

With that, I do know for a fact that there are definitely plans to have AAU in some fashion this summer. Just got a message about a team in the Akron area that has four tournaments scheduled and wanting to see if mine was interested in joining. It's a team that already has two of his HS teammates on it, but it looks like they are allowing up to four from the same school now, from the little I have been told. I'm still trying to get more information about it, though.

Wow, that is big news. Are you sure you can have four from the same school on an AAU team?

You always could in June and July. You can have as many as you want from the same high school in June/July.

I guess I never realized that because our AAU teams have had four from the "same school" for the past couple of years even in April and May but that was because the four were split between two middle schools. The expectation heading in was April and May AAU, June team stuff and July a mix between AAU/team stuff (seems like July was mainly OOS events anyway so a most didn't do AAU that month ... though my son and one of his teammates was picked up by a team that played in the Junior Big Time in Vegas in July so did play in one July event last year.

So I never realized the four rule had always been there.

For an update, the team he may play for is ran by a pretty notable former player in Ohio hoops who is now part of the task force that is trying to determine when things can start back up in Ohio. So, this coach has somewhat inside information and enough where they are planning on moving forward with a team. For tournaments, sounds like they have some lined up as long as things open (probably largely OOS but was told they think Cincinnati will open up before Cleveland or Columbus so they are talking to people down there as far as tournaments in Ohio). Anyway, this team is set to start practicing at a limited level a couple days a week with the goal to get at least a partial schedule in.

So, there is an expectation of some events still taking place... and I was told that there are talks about making September open too for exposure events. That doesn't help the kids who are playing fall sports, but would be great for the ones who are focusing on basketball, IMO ... though that could cause some kids to quit a fall sport if they want to focus on hoops. So a double-edged sword.

I guess I never realized that because our AAU teams have had four from the "same school" for the past couple of years even in April and May but that was because the four were split between two middle schools. The expectation heading in was April and May AAU, June team stuff and July a mix between AAU/team stuff (seems like July was mainly OOS events anyway so a most didn't do AAU that month ... though my son and one of his teammates was picked up by a team that played in the Junior Big Time in Vegas in July so did play in one July event last year.

So I never realized the four rule had always been there.

For an update, the team he may play for is ran by a pretty notable former player in Ohio hoops who is now part of the task force that is trying to determine when things can start back up in Ohio. So, this coach has somewhat inside information and enough where they are planning on moving forward with a team. For tournaments, sounds like they have some lined up as long as things open (probably largely OOS but was told they think Cincinnati will open up before Cleveland or Columbus so they are talking to people down there as far as tournaments in Ohio). Anyway, this team is set to start practicing at a limited level a couple days a week with the goal to get at least a partial schedule in.

So, there is an expectation of some events still taking place... and I was told that there are talks about making September open too for exposure events. That doesn't help the kids who are playing fall sports, but would be great for the ones who are focusing on basketball, IMO ... though that could cause some kids to quit a fall sport if they want to focus on hoops. So a double-edged sword.
The "split between middle schools" excuse for the season after 8th grade won't fly with OHSAA if they find out. They are considered high schoolers for the purposes of OHSAA once their 8th grade seasons end. One of my sons was in a similar situation and all of the boys got multiple game suspensions starting in the 9th grade season. We were no superstar team either - just filling out a roster. This after we were told by the head of the club and the team coach that it was ok. Live and learn, but really sucked for the boys.

Although a Aug and Sept schedule may put some money into Neale's pocket I would predict that lack of total teams, both due from the virus and some due from fall school sports, would make these tournaments a waste of time. In a normal year the AAU teams play around the contact periods allowed by OHSAA for high school coaches. Mar-May and maybe July-Aug. With June being a heavy month for high school teams and July also being allowed but not has busy. This summer the Ohsaa has removed limited access for high school coaches in what off season time there is left. Some AAU teams may still form and practice for sure but to say there will be enough teams in each corner of the state to host major tournaments would be a surprise to me. And we have not even discussed the players that may not be crossing state lines, which is a big part of some of the larger tournaments.

Last edited:
The "split between middle schools" excuse for the season after 8th grade won't fly with OHSAA if they find out. They are considered high schoolers for the purposes of OHSAA once their 8th grade seasons end. One of my sons was in a similar situation and all of the boys got multiple game suspensions starting in the 9th grade season. We were no superstar team either - just filling out a roster. This after we were told by the head of the club and the team coach that it was ok. Live and learn, but really sucked for the boys.

Which is why I'm making sure this in on the up and up because the four who were on the one team pretty much all had to find new teams because they knew last year was the last they could do the 2 and 2 split. If it is July and August sounds like it won't be a problem. How it interfers with what the HS coaches are able to do is now a big question.

Although a Aug and Spet schedule may put some money into Neale's pocket I would predict that lack of total teams, both due from the virus and some due from fall school sports, would make these tournaments a waste of time. In a normal year the AAU teams play around the contact periods allowed by OHSAA for high school coaches. Mar-May and maybe July-Aug. With June being a heavy month for high school teams and July also being allowed but not has busy. This summer the Ohsaa has removed limited access for high school coaches in what off season time there is left. Some AAU teams may still form and practice for sure but to say there will be enough teams in each corner of the state to host major tournaments would be a surprise to me. And we have not even discussed the players that may not be crossing state lines, which is a big part of some of the larger tournaments.

All good points that I have been trying to get answered, but this has thrown everything out of whack so you could very well be right.

Still can't say for sure but I'm feeling pretty good about some semblance of an AAU schedule happening. Though I do agree with spirit in that it may be ripe for some of the coaches who need a season to happen to try to oversell it to make their ends meet (though the team I reference previous doesn't seem to be doing that, at least in my case).

Hopefully it does go off because basketball is basketball and more time on the court the better, even if it is watered down and fit in between the HS team schedule.

They need to play, but daddy’s will be glad to coach their kid, while the HS coach wants their time in July.