What's going on at Southington Chalker Football program?

Hl2vtr1

I was wondering if they hired a football coach. Coach Conrad did a fine job with this team last year, but for some reason a change was made. Does anybody know who the new coach is? I also heard "numbers" was a concern?

I was wondering if they hired a football coach. Coach Conrad did a fine job with this team last year, but for some reason a change was made. Does anybody know who the new coach is? I also heard "numbers" was a concern?
Im not so sure a change was made as he made the decision to lesve himself. He told someone that I trust during the season last year that he was afraid that they weren't going to be able to field a team this year and he was looking to go elsewhere. Numbers are a massive issue there.

It looks like they are trying to do away with football there. What a shame. Who is Southington's superintendent and athletic director?

It looks like they are trying to do away with football there. What a shame. Who is Southington's superintendent and athletic director?
Sad if so? Some of these Superintendents don't know anything about sports. There's another "Sup" in that league whose interest is only in the band. Guess what? No football...no band performing at halftime! Let Bill Bohren coach this team if interested!!!

Sounds like it's a matter of low numbers, and if so, then understandable that they may be reluctant to go forward.

There are 20 school districts in Trumbull County, and although I'm not 100% sure, I think at least 5 already don't field a football team: Badger, Bristol, Bloomfield-Mespo, Lordstown, and Maplewood. And I believe Mathews was forced to go to some 8-man games last year.

I've heard but do not have confirmation, that one Trumbull County school (one of the above) will graduate only 11 seniors TOTAL this spring. And two others with graduating classes in the 30's or 40's. And Southington is likely one of those.

Then schools that play football should get out of that league. Which would be Windham. Mathews, possibly Southington, and Py Valley. Fairport Harbor; I believe, is joining the league in the fall of 2020. And they play football. What Py Valley is doing in this league? I have no clue...

Sounds like some consolidating of school districts is needed in Trumbull County. Like what Geauga County is currently doing. Or, the schools that don’t have the numbers for football can co-op with a nearby school that does or wants to. I worry for our local school, Fairport Harding, that just left the CVC for the NAC. Sounds like their going to have some future scheduling problems for football even more so then planned.

Rocco Nero is the Superintendent at Southington. AD is Craig Lefkowitz and asst AD is Jim Wolke. Enrollment is listed at 58 Boys.

Rocco Nero is the Superintendent at Southington. AD is Craig Lefkowitz and asst AD is Jim Wolke. Enrollment is listed at 58 Boys.
Then at Southington you do have people who are 'Sports Minded." Wasn't Jim Wolke once a football coach at Chalker?

Then numbers are not there, or he would coach the team for one year. You will see then a few transferring out. Sad...

Then schools that play football should get out of that league. Which would be Windham. Mathews, possibly Southington, and Py Valley. Fairport Harbor; I believe, is joining the league in the fall of 2020. And they play football. What Py Valley is doing in this league? I have no clue...
PY Valley is an outlier for any league. There's literally no where else to go.

I remember Chalker making the long trek to Tiffin Calvert in 2002 for a playoff game. Calvert put the game away pretty quick and Chalker lost all interest. They had players in the stands at halftime talking to people. They were not good.

I remember Chalker making the long trek to Tiffin Calvert in 2002 for a playoff game. Calvert put the game away pretty quick and Chalker lost all interest. They had players in the stands at halftime talking to people. They were not good.
The league in general is not strong. However, the kids experienced a playoff game which brought excitement to the community. And if I remember, Tiffin Calvert had a very good run in the playoffs in 2002. The problem is the league in general. The schools that play football should get out of the league. "WAY" to many schools that don't have football. You can have a good D-7 football league, with the number of D-7 schools in Mahoning, Trumbull, Columbiana, and Portage Counties. Some of these schools like to "Beat up" the non football schools in the other sports so they don't want to progress. SAD???

After the Mahoning vs Trumbull all star game last year I saw about 7-8 kids take a "Southington" football picture, although they had all transferred to play at different schools. They definitely had talent in the district.

Nothing on OHSAA.org concerning Head Coaching openings? That seems odd to me, unless they have someone in mind. I know a few coaches on their schedule are wondering what's going on. We will see?

After the Mahoning vs Trumbull all star game last year I saw about 7-8 kids take a "Southington" football picture, although they had all transferred to play at different schools. They definitely had talent in the district.
They used to lose 2-3 kids per class to JFK. Not sure if they still do. Also had kids not play because the old basketball coach told them if they played football he would cut them from basketball. There was a 6'3"ish kid with a cannon arm who quit football after 8th grade because of it. His class went 7-2 as seniors and could have been even better with him.

That's the problem with the smaller schools. The coaches from other sports threatening kids if they play another sport. And then, denying it! These types of coaches should be "Hung from their Balls". THE GAME(S) IS MEANT FOR THE KIDS TO HAVE FUN! Not for the Coach's Self Satisfaction. Over 90+ percent will not even play after high school. In any sport! I hope these coaches who are telling their kids not to play enjoy their plastic trophies on their fireplace. My son attends a small school where he plays football, and tells me about some of the better athletes not playing, because of what their other sport coaches are saying. Sorry...This really irks me when kids are being threatened... Athletic Directors, before the school year, need to get the Head Coaches together, and warn them that this will not be tolerated!

Last edited:
Unfortunately There are coaches, trainers, and others that do share with kids to not play other sports and that includes football coaches at many schools. It happens everywhere. It doesn’t make it right. It should be up to a player to decide what they want to do. There is nothing wrong if a young man plays 3 sports and there is nothing wrong if a kid plays just 1 sport and talent shouldn’t factor into the decision. It also isn’t right for a coach or another person to tell a kid that he needs to play multiple sports. If a kid wants to just play 1 sport and he is average at best at that sport who cares- that is their choice. i find it laughable when we talk about the number of professional athletes (tremendous athletes) that played multiple sports in high school and try to equate that to kids that run 5.0 40s' have a vertical of 12 inches, are 5’9 , have small frames, lack natural strength and have Very limited athleticism. How about we just let kids do what they want in regards to sports?

Unfortunately There are coaches, trainers, and others that do share with kids to not play other sports and that includes football coaches at many schools. It happens everywhere. It doesn’t make it right. It should be up to a player to decide what they want to do. There is nothing wrong if a young man plays 3 sports and there is nothing wrong if a kid plays just 1 sport and talent shouldn’t factor into the decision. It also isn’t right for a coach or another person to tell a kid that he needs to play multiple sports. If a kid wants to just play 1 sport and he is average at best at that sport who cares- that is their choice. i find it laughable when we talk about the number of professional athletes (tremendous athletes) that played multiple sports in high school and try to equate that to kids that run 5.0 40s' have a vertical of 12 inches, are 5’9 , have small frames, lack natural strength and have Very limited athleticism. How about we just let kids do what they want in regards to sports?
Exactly! Well put...

I agree on coaches not making ultimatums with student-athletes in either direction. However, coaches should at least encourage them to play multiple sports. I know some student-athletes that had two sports they wanted to play but thought their head coach in their favorite(or majority of the time, better not necessarily favorite) sport, only wants them to play that sport. Sometimes student-athletes are not willing to ask the coach themselves. I believe coaches should encourage them to play multiple sports, but no ultimatums if they decide to just play one sport or multiple sports.

I agree on coaches not making ultimatums with student-athletes in either direction. However, coaches should at least encourage them to play multiple sports. I know some student-athletes that had two sports they wanted to play but thought their head coach in their favorite(or majority of the time, better not necessarily favorite) sport, only wants them to play that sport. Sometimes student-athletes are not willing to ask the coach themselves. I believe coaches should encourage them to play multiple sports, but no ultimatums if they decide to just play one sport or multiple sports.
Well put! That's the reason I believe that the Athletic Director, before the new school year, needs to have a meeting with Head Coaches for all the sports. Especially at the smaller schools. And if the kids want to play two sports during the same season, I see nothing wrong with it. When a school can't field a squad with 20 to 25 players, with 85 boys in the school? Then there is a problem. The problem is the kids are not having fun playing within the system, or "Poaching" is going on from other coaches within the school system. Make it fun for the kids--then more kids will eventually play.

Southington Chalker did produce Rick Badanjek, a running back that played at Maryland and then in the NFL for a few years. Goes to show that once in awhile even a tiny football school can produce a top tier player.