What's going on at Southington Chalker Football program?

Hl2vtr1

I was wondering if they hired a football coach. Coach Conrad did a fine job with this team last year, but for some reason a change was made. Does anybody know who the new coach is? I also heard "numbers" was a concern?

Jaws31

I was wondering if they hired a football coach. Coach Conrad did a fine job with this team last year, but for some reason a change was made. Does anybody know who the new coach is? I also heard "numbers" was a concern?
Im not so sure a change was made as he made the decision to lesve himself. He told someone that I trust during the season last year that he was afraid that they weren't going to be able to field a team this year and he was looking to go elsewhere. Numbers are a massive issue there.

Red 42

It looks like they are trying to do away with football there. What a shame. Who is Southington's superintendent and athletic director?

Hl2vtr1

It looks like they are trying to do away with football there. What a shame. Who is Southington's superintendent and athletic director?
Sad if so? Some of these Superintendents don't know anything about sports. There's another "Sup" in that league whose interest is only in the band. Guess what? No football...no band performing at halftime! Let Bill Bohren coach this team if interested!!!

coldshoulder

Sounds like it's a matter of low numbers, and if so, then understandable that they may be reluctant to go forward.

There are 20 school districts in Trumbull County, and although I'm not 100% sure, I think at least 5 already don't field a football team: Badger, Bristol, Bloomfield-Mespo, Lordstown, and Maplewood. And I believe Mathews was forced to go to some 8-man games last year.

I've heard but do not have confirmation, that one Trumbull County school (one of the above) will graduate only 11 seniors TOTAL this spring. And two others with graduating classes in the 30's or 40's. And Southington is likely one of those.

Hl2vtr1

Then schools that play football should get out of that league. Which would be Windham. Mathews, possibly Southington, and Py Valley. Fairport Harbor; I believe, is joining the league in the fall of 2020. And they play football. What Py Valley is doing in this league? I have no clue...

BlackandGold

#BleedBlack&Gold
Sounds like some consolidating of school districts is needed in Trumbull County. Like what Geauga County is currently doing. Or, the schools that don’t have the numbers for football can co-op with a nearby school that does or wants to. I worry for our local school, Fairport Harding, that just left the CVC for the NAC. Sounds like their going to have some future scheduling problems for football even more so then planned.

itzme

Rocco Nero is the Superintendent at Southington. AD is Craig Lefkowitz and asst AD is Jim Wolke. Enrollment is listed at 58 Boys.

Hl2vtr1

Rocco Nero is the Superintendent at Southington. AD is Craig Lefkowitz and asst AD is Jim Wolke. Enrollment is listed at 58 Boys.
Then at Southington you do have people who are 'Sports Minded." Wasn't Jim Wolke once a football coach at Chalker?

Hl2vtr1

Then numbers are not there, or he would coach the team for one year. You will see then a few transferring out. Sad...

nupanther

Then schools that play football should get out of that league. Which would be Windham. Mathews, possibly Southington, and Py Valley. Fairport Harbor; I believe, is joining the league in the fall of 2020. And they play football. What Py Valley is doing in this league? I have no clue...
PY Valley is an outlier for any league. There's literally no where else to go.

RollingTrain

I remember Chalker making the long trek to Tiffin Calvert in 2002 for a playoff game. Calvert put the game away pretty quick and Chalker lost all interest. They had players in the stands at halftime talking to people. They were not good.