What Movies Did You Watch in September 2022?

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) ... 5.5/8

I tried watching this several years ago but turned it off once the talking Raccoon showed up. Glad I revisited it as it was quite enjoyable.

I will be checking out some more of these Marvel films since I am taking advantage of the Disney+ 1 month special.

See How They Run: 5.75/8

I had the day off so decided to check this out.

I’m a big fan of murder mysteries so I had high hopes. For the most part I would say it lived up to my hopes, but was also a little underwhelming at the same time.

For starters I found it surprising that it was both a little slow to start but at the same time only 92 minutes long in movie length. The first hour is a little slow but the last 30 minutes was great. It is very meta in that it makes fun of itself as well as typical murder movie tropes.

If there was one thing that didn’t quite work it was the humor at times. Humor is of course subjective though and there were other people in the theater laughing at things that I didn’t laugh at.

Overall I still thought it was very good just not quite what I hoped.

It felt more like Clue when I wanted it to feel more like Knives Out.

Last edited:
The Hucksters (1947) A we don't need money as long as we have each other film, starring Clark Gable and Deborah Kerr.

Clark loves Deb while stringing along Ava Gardner before giving Ava up to Purplemojo. Everyone ends up happy. 5.5/8.0.

Coco (2017) Pixar movie about the Day of the Dead celebration in Mexico. A young boy who dreams of being a musician gets sent to the dead realm and discovers his family's true history.

The animation is rich and acting is great, but for a movie about music, I thought there'd be a little bit more, you know, music. The middle drags a bit and beats you over the head with its plot points.

I will say this, the payoff at the end is great.... it is great. Perhaps Pixar's best ending to a film ever.

5.5/8

Coco (2017) Pixar movie about the Day of the Dead celebration in Mexico. A young boy who dreams of being a musician gets sent to the dead realm and discovers his family's true history.

The animation is rich and acting is great, but for a movie about music, I thought there'd be a little bit more, you know, music. The middle drags a bit and beats you over the head with its plot points.

I will say this, the payoff at the end is great.... it is great. Perhaps Pixar's best ending to a film ever.

5.5/8

They all died?

They all died?
No, that was a different Disney property

429086cc-88af-4272-a9d0-3a2d31ecf5c2.jpg

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022) ... 1.5/8

Incredibly stupid movie that has a love affair with Guns 'N' Roses.

Thor and Silver Surfer are my favorites and whoever wrote this garbage and gave it the green light should never have anything to do with Thor ever again.

FATE OF A SPORT

This is a 2 hour ABC/ESPN Documentary about Professional Lacrosse Star Paul Rabil (who while still being an an active player) created and launched a new opposing league.

WOW, this is a hard hitting/no holds barred production with some strong points of view!

High Recomend from me, especially if you enjoy learning about new things..........such as Lacrosse. If you already know Lacrosse you might like it more than I even did.

The Curse of La Patasola (2022)

Horror: We are going camping.... two couples head out to the woods and do not heave the warnings and go farther out where they irresponsibly unleash an Amazonian Monster. The characters were interesting but the movie itself was not as.... not that bad though.... 3.5/8

A Fallen Sparrow (1943) - I was very disappointed. Convoluted and unbelievable story, Bad acting except for a couple strong performances. It got high praise from a number of critics but it is just not good.

3/8

Operation Crossbow (1965)
- It is very similar to The Guns of Navarone (1962). Decent WWII spy/commando film.

5/8

Hocus Pocus (1993) ... 5.0/8

Been a long time since I have seen it and wanted to catch up before the 2nd one comes out this week.

Superman IV: The Quest For Peace - 3.5/8

How do you have the Superman character and make two of the worst superhero movies of all time?

Superman Returns: 5/8

This had the potential to be a great movie. Great cast, great idea with some cool moments, but it just too....long. It clocks in at 2 hours and 49 minutes. Cut out 20-25 minutes and quicken the pace of the film, and it would be one of the best Superman movies (well it still is, but that's also because many of them have been bad).

Radio Days (1987) - A quasi-biographical film based on the childhood of Woody Allen. Funny and enjoyable. Julie Kavner has a prominent role in the film and one cannot help hearing Marge Simpson when she speaks. It reminded me of Fellini's Armacord (1973) to which I drug several of my less artistic minded classmates in high school.

6/8

Whistling in the Dark (1941) - I must have missed the whistling. Red Skelton. Slapstick. Imagine that. I fondly remember Red's nearly twenty year long run on tv, but did not know he started in radio (ten years) and movies (30). Shouldn't have been a suprise, I guess. Also, a painter, iirc. Amazing.

5.0 +1.0 just for Red.