What Movies Did You Watch in November 2023?

The Marvels: 5.5/8

My daughter and I had a lot of fun with this one. I really don’t understand why it’s getting so much hate from critics (currently 62% on Rotten Tomatoes). I mean I do, which is why I don’t put too much stock in critic scores. Film critics are there because it’s their job, which means they are watching a movie because they have to, not because they want to. They are watching movies they wouldn’t normally watch if it weren’t their job. That inherently leads to a bias. Audiences are giving it a much more respectable 86% rating. It’s not too 10 MCU ( which IMO is a high bar), but it’s not bottom 10 either IMO.

One of the main criticisms has been a messy plot. We both felt it was pretty straightforward and easy to follow. Also, while it helps to have seen the first Captain Marvel movie, Wandavision and Ms Marvel, I think they do a good enough job that you don’t have to have seen them.

That said, I’ve said for years that Marvel needs to start putting “Previously On” recaps before their movies and tv shows now. After all, this is movie #33., and there’s been close to 10 shows as well.

As for the flow of the movie, it’s got a pretty non stop pace. I checked my watch ( I had somewhere to be shortly after the movie) at one point thinking it was the halfway point of the movie and it was only 35 minutes in.

It does follow the “Marvel Formula” to an extent, but it also had 2-3 scenes done in a way that have never been done in a Marvel movie before.

The villain serves her purpose, but certainly may be the weakest MCU villain to date as far as development goes. Her motives were solid, just not a very developed character overall. I’d bet some of that hit the cutting room floor.

The final scene and mid-credits scenes both have major ramifications for the future of the MCU.

Last edited:
The Marvels: 5.5/8

My daughter and I had a lot of fun with this one. I really don’t understand why it’s getting so much hate from critics (currently 62% on Rotten Tomatoes). I mean I do, which is why I don’t put too much stock in critic scores. Film critics are there because it’s their job, which means they are watching a movie because they have to, not because they want to. They are watching movies they wouldn’t normally watch if it weren’t their job. That inherently leads to a bias. Audiences are giving it a much more respectable 86% rating. It’s not too 10 MCU ( which IMO is a high bar), but it’s not bottom 10 either IMO.

One of the main criticisms has been a messy plot. We both felt it was pretty straightforward and easy to follow. Also, while it helps to have seen the first Captain Marvel movie, Wandavision and Ms Marvel, I think they do a good enough job that you don’t have to have seen them.

That said, I’ve said for years that Marvel needs to start putting “Previously On” recaps before their movies and tv shows now. After all, this is movie #33., and there’s been close to 10 shows as well.

As for the flow of the movie, it’s got a pretty non stop pace. I checked my watch ( I had somewhere to be shortly after the movie) at one point thinking it was the halfway point of the movie and it was only 35 minutes in.

It does follow the “Marvel Formula” to an extent, but it also had 2-3 scenes done in a way that have never been done in a Marvel movie before.

The villain serves her purpose, but certainly may be the weakest MCU villain to date as far as development goes. Her motives were solid, just not a very developed character overall. I’d bet some of that hit the cutting room floor.

The final scene and mid-credits scenes both have major ramifications for the future of the MCU.

Panther,
It sounds like you enjoyed it. What caused you to only give it a 68.75%

Spoonful of Sugar (2022)

Horror: A disturbed young girl lies about her age and gets a babysitting job watching a 10 year old mute boy with serious allergy issues. This was one of those what is going to happen which worked for me!!! ... 6.0/8

The Angry Black Girl and Her Monster (2023)

Fantasy Horror: A young girl tired of the death that had destroyed her family decides to do something about it using science. A different take on an old idea. Another enjoyable watch.... 6.0/8

No Hard Feelings (2023) 5/8 Jenifer Lawrence play a 30ish single woman struggling to pay the bills and on the verge of losing her home. She answers a Craigslist ad by parents looking to hire an older woman to "date" their recently graduated son before he goes to college. This story has been done many times before, but it was entertaining and there was definitely some laughs. Worth a watch is you like the raunchy, coming of age type comedies.
👍

Watch out boy she'll chew you up...

👍

Watch out boy she'll chew you up...

nGMrD.gif

Hell House LLC Origins: The Carmichael Manor (2023)

Horror: This was the 4th installment of the films and it wasn't about what I thought it was going to be about as it takes place after the first 3 instead of being a prequel..... well, sort of as there are found footage tapes that happen prior to the first movie. Here we have a cold case investigator with her girlfriend and I think her brother who stay the week at the isolated Carmichael Manor where in the 80's gruesome murders took place. It is discovered that there is a connection with this manor and the nearby burned down Abaddon Hotel. This one follows the documentary/found footage styles of the other ones as well as similar scares. Overall, I liked it better than any of the other sequels and thought it to be just as good at times as the original..... 5.0/8

Star Wars "1" which is much worse than I remembered. The people don't even look like they're in the same room as the animated and it born two of the stupidest plot lines in the history of the franchise, midicloreans and half a Maul.

The Covenant: 7.25/8

This never got the buzz or marketing it deserves and I’m not sure why. A-list Star. A-list director.

Can’t really say much negative about it other than they maybe could have cut a minute or two in the middle for pacing, but even that’s nitpicking.

Currently available on Prime Video.

Last edited:
The Burial: 5/8

IMO this one couldn’t decide at times if it was a comedy, drama or both. It was at its best as a drama. Based on a true story.

Currently on Prime Video.

Peter Pan and Wendy: 4.5/8

This is largely a live-action remake of the 1953 animated film, and while I’ve liked most of Disney’s live-action remakes, the Peter Pan story has been done so many times that IMO you have to do something different at this point.

While this version actually does have two sizable twists to the story we know, they never spend enough time on either to truly make the the story feel fresh. That said, fans of the Peter Pan legend will like this adaptation.

Jude Law is solid as Hook but isn’t given the opportunity to go full out like others have in other versions. Casting actors in their first major roles for both Peter and Wendy was an odd choice. Neither were bad, but we’re also nothing remarkable. Peter especially needs someone with an “IT” factor.

Especially enjoyed the soundtrack as they put some great twists on the music from the animated film.

Available on Disney+.

The Bunker Game (Italy-2022)

Horror: Here, the Nazi's won WW2 which leads to a third war that went Nuclear leaving a group of Nazis surviving in a Bunker. Something is off though, they don't look like Nazi's and there is a black man in a wheel chair.... a black Nazi? OK, this is all soon explained which kind of becomes a bummer and then what could of ended up being something ended up being nothing...... This one had the atmosphere but they could not do anything about it..... being generous with a ... 3.0/8

The Child (1977)

Horror: An 11 year old girl hangs out in the cemetery after midnight with her secret friends.... dialogue and acting was stale but in someway it kind of added to the creepiness of this low budget flick. One of those so bad that it is good types..... 4.5/8

Killlers on Netflix... one of the most boring movies i have seen in awhile... if you are having trouble put this one on, will knock you out like a bottle of nyquil.... in 30 mintes

Killlers on Netflix... one of the most boring movies i have seen in awhile... if you are having trouble put this one on, will knock you out like a bottle of nyquil.... in 30 mintes
I completely agree, still trying to figure out why I saw this movie recommended on few different sites that I follow.

Asteroid City (2023) 1/8 Maybe I just didn't get it, but I thought this was bad. Really bad. Not sure how you screw up a movie with cast like this one, but Wes Anderson managed to pull it off. To be honest, I'm not even sure what the movie was really about.

Star Wars II: We must have been desperate for Star Wars. Slightly better than Star Wars I.

Star Wars The Clone Wars animated movie. In five minutes they created greater empathy for more characters than did the two previous chronological movies.

Hold That Ghost (1941) - 5/8

Still going through my "creepy" films list before I start recording Hallmark Christmas movies, lol. Pleasant little madcap caper. Abbot & Costello are two gas station attendants who inherit a gangster's closed-up tavern mansion, where the gangster supposedly hid a fortune in loot, except it seems to be haunted.

The ghost is pretty cheesy. The mansion is very cool, set designers came up with some interesting effects and scenes. Costello's schtick can be a bit much at times, but the man is a tall chick magnet.

Some recognizable supporting cast members here. The Andrews Sisters are in fine voice. Circleville's own Ted Lewis utters the classic line "Is everybody happy?" while doing a singing impersonation of Maurice Chevalier doing a singing impersonation of Bob Dylan - and his hat never falls off. Shemp Howard appears as soda jerk. A young Marc Laurence, the gangster from "Diamonds Are Forever" and "The Man With The Golden Gun" plays a corpse who won't stay in one place.

Last edited:
Hold That Ghost (1941) - 5/8

Still going through my "creepy" films list before I start recording Hallmark Christmas movies, lol. Pleasant little madcap caper. Abbot & Costello are two gas station attendants who inherit a gangster's closed-up tavern mansion, where the gangster supposedly hid a fortune in loot, except it seems to be haunted.

The ghost is pretty cheesy. The mansion is very cool, set designers came up with some interesting effects and scenes. Costello's schtick can be a bit much at times, but the man is a tall chick magnet.

Some recognizable supporting cast members here. The Andrews Sisters are in fine voice. Circleville's own Ted Lewis, utters the classic line "Is everybody happy?" while doing a singing impersonation of Maurice Chevalier doing a singing impersonation of Bob Dylan - and his hat never falls off. Shemp Howard appears as soda jerk. A young Marc Laurence, the gangster from "Diamonds Are Forever" and "The Man With The Golden Gun" plays a corpse who won't stay in one place.
Abbott and Costello were my favorites growing up. Meet Frankenstein is actually considered quality.

The Killer: 3.75/8

Was looking forward to this and it’s part of why I renewed my Netflix subscription this weekend. I had seen a review from a friend calling it dull and boring and figured it was just not for them. Nope they were right.

This was such a disappointment. 80% of the movie is just inner dialogue of the main character’s thoughts. Very little dialogue among characters. It gets slightly interesting when Tilda Swinton shows up in the third act, if nothing else because there’s an actual conversation between two actors, but even that was fleeting.

I’m usually one who finds the redeeming qualities of most movies, but I’m not sure what they were thinking here.

Michael Fassbender desperately needs a new manager. He’s a great actor but has chosen way too many bad projects.

Currently available on Netflix.

River Wild: 4.25/8

Not a remake of 1994’s The River Wild, but a similar concept. This one’s a decent enough watch, but while most movies tend to be too long, this one could have used about ten more minutes for character development. It’s only 91 minutes, and that includes credits.

Available on Netflix.