What Movies Did You Watch In January 2021?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4246 Escape Room (US-2019) ... 5.0/8

#4247 Fog Island (US-1945) ... 2.0/8

#4248 The Body Beneath (UK-1970) ... 3.0/8

#4249 Nightmare at Noon (US-1988) ... 5.0/8

#4250 The Devil Within Her (UK-1975) ... 4.0/8

#4251 Slaughterhouse Rulez (UK-2018) ... 5.0/8

#4252 Cronos (Mexico-1993) ... 5.0/8

#4253 Terror at London Bridge (US-1985) ... 4.5/8

#4254 Ferocious Planet (US-2011) ... 3.0/8

#4255 Vicious Lips (US-1986) ... 3.0/8

#4256 Gretel & Hansel (US-2020) ... 6.0/8

#4257 The Amazing Transparent Man (US-1960) ... 2.0/8

#4258 The Divide (US-2011) ... 1.5/8

#4259 Day of the Nightmare (US-1965) ... 4.5/8

#4260 Slasher Party (US-2019) ... 1.5/8

#4261 Svengali (US-1931) ... 4.0/8

#4262 After She Wakes (US-2019) ... 2.0/8

#4263 City of Dead Men (US-2014) ... 5.0/8

Last edited:

Escape Room (2019)

Horror: 6 strangers are invited to participate in an Escape Room but quickly learn that this game is for real and very sinister. Entertaining at times but unbelievable in others..... 5.0/8

Fog Island (1945)

Horror: We have another one where people are invited somewhere and this time it is Fog Island. The reason they come is because they expect to find a fortune at the expense of the owner.... why did the owner invite them? He believes one of them is responsible for his wife's death and wants to seek revenge. The problem with Fog Island is that it is quite dull with no atmospheric moments..... 2.0/8

The Body Beneath (UK-1970)

Horror: The Ford family discovers a distant relative who wants to get a sort of re-union together.... the problem is that this new relative is a blood sucking vampire looking to enhance his bloodline. This one was a bit strange ... 3.0/8

The Descendants (2011) - I know I intended to see this film when it came out. So much so, that I thought I had actually seen it. Well no, it turns out I had not. I saw it this weekend and thought it a really good film. The story is quirky and darkly funny in spots and the performances were consistently good. One of George Clooney's better performances.

7/8

Catch Me If You Can (2002) 4/8 A little slow, thought DiCaprio and Hanks were great but the story was just lagging in my opinion. Not bad, but considering the cast I expected more.

Once Upon a Time ... In Hollywood (2019) ... 6.0/8

Set in 1969.. alright, plenty of eye car candy for me especially way off in the distance a 69 "bumble bee" Z-28. Interesting tie in with the Mason Family as well.....

The Midnight Sky

2/8

Long, boring, nonsensical. One of the worst movies I've seen in quite a while.

Easily predicted all the common tropes in the movie. Could have been a half hour show on TV and been more interesting.

Special effects were good. Helped raise the rating from a 1 to a 2.

Saw that Groundhog Day is on.

Anyone ever see a movie on TV and go the on demand and watch the actual movie trailer for a move you have already seen a lot of times?
I like to check those out to see if the trailer actually depicted the movie accurately.

Vamp, I have started watching allot of TV series.

I think your taste are darker than mine. But, you may want to check out some series.

I, based on a friend's recommendation, watched Lucifer. Fun... only slightly dark TV series you might enjoy. --- I am embarrassed to admit that I would be so drawn into series that I had a hard time not watching one episode after another in concession.

Last edited:
Vamp, I have started watching allot of TV series.

I think your taste are darker than mine. But, you may want to check out some series.

I, based on a friend's recommendation, watched Lucifer. Fun... only slightly dark TV series you might enjoy. --- I am embarrassed to admit that I would be so drawn into series that I had a hard time not watching one episode after another in concession.

Thanks for the heads up on Lucifer..... I will keep that one in mind when I am starved for something to watch. I never watch more than one episode a night though have been very tempted.....

News of the World - Really good western. Hanks and his co-star, 12 year old Helena Zengel were outstanding. The story has all of the elements of a classic western, but, with modern sensitivities to the lot of the Native Americans and I believe that it makes a subtle statement regarding the healing of a divided nation (something lost on modern Democrats).

7/8

News of the World - Really good western. Hanks and his co-star, 12 year old Helena Zengel were outstanding. The story has all of the elements of a classic western, but, with modern sensitivities to the lot of the Native Americans and I believe that it makes a subtle statement regarding the healing of a divided nation (something lost on modern Democrats).

Quoted for irony.

Quoted for irony.
It is really not for this thread but in 1865 it was radical Republicans who were seeking to punish their political enemies the Southern Democrats, while today, it is the Democratic Party that is seeking to punish and marginalize Republicans. That is a fact. Just read the headlines. Since the election, Democrats are no longer even hiding this effort.

Anyway, good movie you should watch it.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019) ... 2.0/8

uncomfortably creepy and really not about Mr. Rogers.... I just don't give a crap about the relationship between a journalist and his father.

Nightmare at Noon (1988)

Horror: A couple traveling cross country in an RV picks up a hitchhiker and then get stranded in a small town that just happens the townies are turning crazy and they must team up with the sheriff and his hot daughter for survival. Some fun 80's action.... 5.0/8

The Devil Within Her (UK-1975)

Horror: A new mother feels that her baby does not like her and maybe of something sinister. Yep, something is definitely wrong with this baby "I Don't Want to be Born" .... any hoot this is no Rosemary's Baby but it is still decent... 4.0/8

Slaughterhouse Rulez (UK-2018)

Horror: A remote boarding school has its secrets and once unleashed it is a battle for survival for a group of residents. This was another fun ride..... 5.0/8

Cronos (Mexico-1993)

horror: Guillermo del Toro ... a device that gives immortality is discovered by an elderly shop owner but he does not understand how it works..... 5.0/8

7/8
Many old westerns had that too.

Django Unchained (2012)- freed slave played by Jamie Foxx joins up with a bounty hunter in an attempt to rescue his wife from slavery. Completely over the top dialogue and blood and gore but that's classic Tarantino. Entertaining but like man of his films a little longer than necessary. 6/8.

Hang 'Em High (1968) - Inger Stevens, Clint Eastwood, Pat Ingle and Inger Stevens Several recognizable actors in supporting roles, including the Skipper. Had there been a scruffy dog in it, I would add a half point to my 5.5/8 score.

After a gang of men unsuccessfully attempts to lynch him for a cattle rustling crime he did not commit, Jed Cooper (Clint Eastwood) is saved by marshal Dave Bliss (Ben Johnson) and judge Adam Fenton (Pat Hingle). The lawmen offer him a job as a federal marshal with the caveat that he not abuse his new power to seek revenge against his tormentors. But, when Cooper finds that some of the men who attacked him are involved in another set of crimes, he fights to bring them to justice. Google

Family Plot (1976) - Bruce Dern, Barbara Harris, William Devane, Karen Black - A mystery/thriller with touches of comedy. I didn't know the pipe-smoking Dern was ever anything but a bad guy cowboy. Watchable, but could have done without the repetitive "JCs" and "GDs". 5/8

Blanche (Barbara Harris), a less than reputable psychic, and her equally shady boyfriend, George (Bruce Dern), are hired by an elderly lady to find her nephew Arthur (William Devane), who had been given up for adoption as a boy. With little information to go on, the pair track down the now-adult man in San Francisco. Arthur has had a colorful past, including murder and thievery with girlfriend Fran (Karen Black). So when he discovers he is being trailed, he assumes it's for other reasons.
Google

Last edited:
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019) 6.5/8 Like several other Tarantino movies for me, this one keeps getting better every time I see it. Pitt and DiCaprio are outstanding. Robbie is always fun to look at.