What Movies Did You Watch in December 2023?

The Iron Claw- 6.25/8. Pretty brutal biographical story, but the entire cast is solid. Zac Effron is a million miles away from HS musical at this point, he can be a legit lead in a drama.
Just saw this Tuesday. My son recommended so he, I and my wifey went. I didn’t know what to expect but it was a good story and well scripted. Man Effron must have been hitting the weights for that role. 7/8

Saw the coming attractions before this movie..flick called Civil War coming in the Spring looked interesting.

Last edited:
Sound of Freedom: I'm not going to give this movie a rating, as it just doesn't feel right (the movie is about child trafficking). I would recommend watching it, but you'll be depressed afterwards.

The Help (2011) - In 1960s Mississippi, Southern society girl Skeeter (Emma Stone) returns from college with dreams of being a writer. She turns her small town on its ear by choosing to interview the Black women who have spent their lives taking care of prominent white families. Only Aibileen (Viola Davis), the housekeeper of Skeeter's best friend, will talk at first. But as the pair continue the collaboration, more women decide to come forward, and as it turns out, they have quite a lot to say. (Google) 6.5/8.0 Seen on CMT; free on Tubi.

Last edited:
Wonka: 6.25/8

A prequel to the Gene Wilder version. During the movie I felt like there was 1-2 too many musical numbers, but I checked after and it only had 11 songs compared to 14 for the Gene Wilder version and 21 in the Johnny Depp version. I think it may be more that most of the songs aren’t memorable, unlike some of the songs in the other films.

I think the story overall could have used a little tightening, but it definitely sticks the landing.

Hugh Grant steals every scene he’s in as Lofty the Oompa Loompa, but unfortunately he’s only on screen for 15-20 minutes (not counting the end credits).

Hopefully they make a sequel, as the Wonka at the end of the film is still a bit away from the Wonka you meet at the start of the original film.

Last edited:
Meg 2: The Trench - 3.5/8

The first one wasn’t that good of a movie, but it was at least fun and followed some sense of scientific rules.

This one is a worse movie, less fun and the third act is just completely ridiculous. There’s so much that just makes zero sense logically.

I had heard it was bad, but it still managed to underwhelm.

I appreciate they tried to do something different in this one, but none of it was good.

I mean the image in the video below tells you all you need to know. Jason Statham trying to kick a 100ft shark in the face.

Last edited:
Watched Wonka last night.

Dear God… horrible!!!!!!

I wanted to leave half way through the movie. Maybe worst I’ve seen in theater.

Wonka: 6.25/8

A prequel to the Gene Wilder version. During the movie I felt like there was 1-2 too many musical numbers, but I checked after and it only had 11 songs compared to 14 for the Gene Wilder version and 21 in the Johnny Depp version. I think it may be more that most of the songs aren’t memorable, unlike some of the songs in the other films.

I think the story overall could have used a little tightening, but it definitely sticks the landing.

Hugh Grant steals every scene he’s in as Lofty the Oompa Loompa, but unfortunately he’s only on screen for 15-20 minutes (not counting the end credits).

Hopefully they make a sequel, as the Wonka at the end of the film is still a bit away from the Wonka you meet at the start of the original film.

Saw it last night. Absolutely the worst movie I had ever seen. I wished I would have left half way through as I wanted to.
Reading many reviews online today… I’m not the only one with this opinion

Saw it last night. Absolutely the worst movie I had ever seen. I wished I would have left half way through as I wanted to.
Reading many reviews online today… I’m not the only one with this opinion
I posted earlier this month and gave it a 3/8, so I was kind of surprised to see somebody else rate it so highly. Personally, I felt bad for Hugh Grant (my wife even made the comment about his career apparently being over). But everybody is certainly entitled to their own opinion.

I posted earlier this month and gave it a 3/8, so I was kind of surprised to see somebody else rate it so highly. Personally, I felt bad for Hugh Grant (my wife even made the comment about his career apparently being over). But everybody is certainly entitled to their own opinion.

Hugh Grant’s actually had significant roles in 4 movies in the last year. A bit of a career resurgence.

Last edited:
Joy Ride: 5/8

Have heard many say this is the funniest movie of the year. That might be true. I’d even say at times it was TOO raunchy. At least for my tastes.

Beau Is Afraid - 2023, 4/8

"A nightmare comedy."

"A Jewish Everything Everywhere, All at Once"

"the experience of being a loser"

I thought it was supposed to be a depiction of insanity. Turns out it's just a cliche about domineering Jewish mothers.

At 2:59 it's waaaaay too long and not that funny.

Parasite - 9/10, 2019 best picture Oscar

Korean, subtitled.

I didn't want to look away.

Last edited: