What Movies Did You Watch in December 2023?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4668 Margaux (2022) ... 3.0/8

#4669 Drive In (2021) ... 4.0/8

#4670 Cobweb (2023 ) ... 5.5/8

#4671 The Exorcist 5: Believer (2023) ... 5.0/8

#4672 The Naughty List (2021) ... 4.0/8

#4673 The Nun II (2023) ... 5.5/8

#4674 Jeepers Creepers 4: Reborn (2022) ... 2.5/8

#4675 Ba'al (2021) ... 5.0/8

#4676 The Boogeyman (2023) ... 4.5/8

#4677 Slotherhouse (2023) ... 2.0/8

Last edited:

Godzilla Minus One (6.5/8): If you loved the old-school Godzilla movies you grew up watching, then I think you'll love this movie. It's in Japense with English subtitles, just so you're aware before heading to the theater. A good amount of city-destroying action and also a good amount of political undertone as the movie is set during the immediate years following WWII.

Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about?

Shaft (1971)

PI John Shaft attempts to rescue the gangta's daughter from the gangsters, all while dealing with the NYPD. One of my favorite films of the blaxploitation genre.

He's a complicated man.

Godzilla Minus One (6.5/8): If you loved the old-school Godzilla movies you grew up watching, then I think you'll love this movie. It's in Japense with English subtitles, just so you're aware before heading to the theater. A good amount of city-destroying action and also a good amount of political undertone as the movie is set during the immediate years following WWII.
This has no connection to the new Godzilla movies correct?

The Science of...
1*gE42c5ZLLYj8D8gcMhGbkg.jpeg

1*v72WjuJmMoLdEizgxzQU3A.jpeg

Margaux (2022)

Horror: Here we have a B&B that has been upgraded with a smart system that is run by an AI program..... We have a group that shows up to the house and at first they love all that it can do but they slowly learn that this smart house is sort of like a serial killer. Wasn't a fan of this one.... 3.0/8

Drive In (2021)

Horror: A horror fanatic trying to get laid learns of an urban legend film that makes the viewers go mad..... The set up was pretty nice but the delivery was weal..... this was a film that needed gore but we really did not get it..... 4.0/8

Cobweb (2023)

Horror: A bullied young boy seeks friendship with a "monster" that lives in the walls of his house. This one was pretty good but once again the final act could of been much better. ... 5.5/8

The Exorcist 5: Believer (2023)

Horror: This was an uneasy watch for me. The 1973 original film scared the crap out of me when I watched it as a kid and I still have nightmares from it. This day I still cannot watch the original again though I did watch the directors cut many many years ago to see the spider walk scene..... I really got into the set up for this one but once everything was laid out and we get to the exorcism stuff it falls apart and frankly was quite weak. I guess I was expecting the shocks of the original to be portrayed in this but I guess Blumhouse got a hold of it and I am not too much of a fan of their movies. Overall, I guess I did like it but was disappointed with the end product..... 5.0/8

Batman Returns (1992)

If Die Hard is a Christmas movie, so is this. Pretty much style over substance as this may be the Tim Burtonest movie to ever Tim Burton, but I can't deny how ridiculously entertaining it is. Danny Devito, Christopher Walken, and Michelle Pfeiffer are masterful as the antagonist trio. Love the scene with Pfeiffer destroys her apartment in a complete rage. 5.9/8

Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (2023) 6/8 Better than I anticipated, maybe because it was not what I was expecting. Left me curious about ties to the original trilogy. Definitely want to see it if you like the originals.

Blue Beetle (2023) 5.5/8 DC superhero movie starring Xolo Mariduena (Cobra Kai) as Jamie Reyes a recent college grad who becomes the Blue Beetle when an alien parasite latches on to him and gives him the power to transfer into the Blue Beetle. Susan Sarandon is solid as the villain. Much better than I anticipated and Xolo is great in the lead.

The Shift (5.0/8.0): Billed as sci-fi telling of the book of Job. I enjoyed the move overall, but I'm not a fan of multi-verse movies. For those that have enjoyed watching The Chosen series, this is the same production studio.

Batman Returns (1992)

If Die Hard is a Christmas movie, so is this. Pretty much style over substance as this may be the Tim Burtonest movie to ever Tim Burton, but I can't deny how ridiculously entertaining it is. Danny Devito, Christopher Walken, and Michelle Pfeiffer are masterful as the antagonist trio. Love the scene with Pfeiffer destroys her apartment in a complete rage. 5.9/8

Love, love, LOVE Batman Returns. Tbh it might be my favorite Batman movie and the musical score is better in this one than the first movie.

Got a Yuletide two-fer today:

The Family Man (Universal, 2000) starring Nicholas Cage - 6/8
Family Christmas (Hallmark, 2015) starring Lacey Chabert - 4/8

A person promises their significant-other undying love as they leave them for a faraway temporary work assignment that will benefit their relationship. A decade later, the person is still at that "temporary" workplace, they have been promoted, make a lot of money, feel they have achieved success, and that significant other is out of sight and out of mind. But out of the blue, the old flame leaves a message for them to call. Then the person has a strange encounter with a mysterious stranger - and wakes up the next morning, now married to that old flame and with kids. And now, nobody at the workplace recognizes that person. What th-?

I love those alternate-universe fantasies. Nick Cage did a nice job in The Family Man capturing the true terror one would probably experience if subjected to that. And I thought the ending was well-done, although not what you might think.

Harve Presnell, the great One-Eyed Willie from Paint Your Wagon, had a nice second career playing strong-willed father-in-laws here and in Fargo. And was Don Cheadle a good guy, a bad guy, or what? Gave similar vibes as The Adjustment Bureau.

Lacey Chabert isn't Nick Cage, and Hallmark isn't Universal, but "Family Christmas" was a nice homage to TFM - at what point does an homage qualify as a remake? :cool: Slick production, even if the supporting cast wasn't as memorable. The "mysterious stranger" had some sensible points to make about the nature of reality. Less terror, outrage, and tension. But lessons are learned, and it's still fun to watch

I just hope Lacey never loses that cute bit of chubbiness in her cheeks. 😁

Last edited:
Got a Yuletide two-fer today:

The Family Man (Universal, 2000) starring Nicholas Cage - 6/8
Family Christmas (Hallmark, 2015) starring Lacey Chabert - 4/8

A person promises their significant-other undying love as they leave them for a faraway temporary work assignment that will benefit their relationship. A decade later, the person is still at that "temporary" workplace, they have been promoted, make a lot of money, feel they have achieved success, and that significant other is out of sight and out of mind. But out of the blue, the old flame leaves a message for them to call. Then the person has a strange encounter with a mysterious stranger - and wakes up the next morning, now married to that old flame and with kids. And now, nobody at the workplace recognizes that person. What th-?

I love those alternate-universe fantasies. Nick Cage did a nice job in The Family Man capturing the true terror one would probably experience if subjected to that. And I thought the ending was well-done, although not what you might think.

Harve Presnell, the great One-Eyed Willie from Paint Your Wagon, had a nice second career playing strong-willed father-in-laws here and in Fargo. And was Don Cheadle a good guy, a bad guy, or what? Gave similar vibes as The Adjustment Bureau.

Lacey Chabert isn't Nick Cage, and Hallmark isn't Universal, but "Family Christmas" was a nice homage to TFM - at what point does an homage qualify as a remake? :cool: Slick production, even if the supporting cast wasn't as memorable. The "mysterious stranger" had some sensible points to make about the nature of reality. Less terror, outrage, and tension. But lessons are learned, and it's still fun to watch

I just hope Lacey never loses that cute bit of chubbiness in her cheeks. 😁
I'd like to see The Family Man again. Think it was on something the other day. As I recall, I hated the NC character.

Just googled Lacey Chabert. Very cute, nice cheekbones. ;)

The Naughty List (2021)

Horror: 4 guys who live at the Bro House pisses of a serial killing Santa who is played by Danny Trejo. ... 4.0/8

Christmas with the Kranks (2004) ... 5.0/8
Difference in taste and opinion makes this thread interesting.

"Christmas with the Kranks" is one of the worst movies I have ever watched. Not funny at all, IMO. I would rate it about 1.5/8, but only that high because I like some of the actors in it.

The Nun II (2023)

Horror: This one follows the events of the first movie where we find ourselves at an all girls boarding school in the Conjuring Universe. Now, I did not like the first movie but this one was much better which most who have seen it would disagree with me. What kept this one from being great though was it breaks one of my pet peeves. A small girl thrown violently through the air against a wall is going to do damage, being impaled by a large horn will likely be fatal and definitely would immobilize the victim but in this film they seem to have a magic healing potion or something..... anyhow it was still solid.... 5.5/8

The Little Things: 5/8

Denzel is Denzel, and while Rami Malek and Jared Leto were both very good in their roles, a part of me thinks they would have been even better if they swapped roles.

The Nightmare Before Christmas - 6/10

Movie started off pretty bad and boring but got better as it progressed. The “Making Christmas” song sounded like something identical to the Batman Returns theme song.

Leave the World Behind: 5.5/8

Enjoyed this. Gave me “The Happening” vibes (no the plants didn’t do it) at times, but good.

Last edited: