What are you watching?

Funny women is an oxymoron
I suppose they could claim "british humor" but since she's supposedly mimicing Lucill Ball.... It's popular somewhere, getting good rating. I dont see any charisma in the lead. Her roommate has some charm.

Still watching Corner Gas. WatchEd a movie about the capture of Eichmann in Argentina in 1960 the other day. It was pretty good but I don’t recall the title.🤷🏼

Update…Operation Finale (Netflix)

I started History of the World Part II last night. I got 10-15 minutes into the first episode and after not laughing once turned it off.

Nice! Obviously it's great, but the problem with classic movies such as that (i.e. the Seven Samurai) is their formulas have been copied or imitated so many times, modern audiences watch them and think, "what's the big deal?"

yea this is a common theme when watching old movies for the first time. They were no doubt great for their time, but how many hold up today when movie making has evolved so much and certain themes have been used over and over again?

I think what it comes down to the most is story. Examples like Wizard of Oz and Star Wars have stood the test of time due to their stories, even though CGI, etc...has far been improved.

yea this is a common theme when watching old movies for the first time. They were no doubt great for their time, but how many hold up today when movie making has evolved so much and certain themes have been used over and over again?

I think what it comes down to the most is story. Examples like Wizard of Oz and Star Wars have stood the test of time due to their stories, even though CGI, etc...has far been improved.
You seem to be glossing over the point that, e.g., Citizen Kane was first..."great for their time"? How about GREAT and concede that it influenced future movie making? It sounds as if you're down-grading it because of the movies that came after and were inspired by it.

Based on my dealings with my own children, there is a reluctance (by those under about 50) to give a serious watch (and proper credit) to a black and white movie...Citizen Kane, Casablanca, To Kill a Mockinbird...

If you like Citizen Kane and want to learn more, I recommend the PBS American Experience episodes titled "Citizen Hearst" about the real Charlie Kane...William Randolph Hearst. Also, if you're ever in the the "neighborhood", the 20 bucks they charge to tour The Hearst Castle along Highway 1 in San Simeon, California, (halfway between LA and SF) is well worth it.

Last edited:
You seem to be glossing over the point that, e.g., Citizen Kane was first..."great for their time"? How about GREAT and concede that it influenced future movie making? It sounds as if you're down-grading it because of the movies that came after and were inspired by it.

Based on my dealings with my own children, there is a reluctance (by those under about 50) to give a serious watch (and proper credit) to a black and white movie...Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Treasure of the Sierra Madre...

If you like Citizen Kane and want to learn more, I recommend the PBS American Experience episodes titled "Citizen Hearst" about the real Charlie Kane...William Randolph Hearst. Also, if you're ever in the the "neighborhood", the 20 bucks they charge to tour The Hearst Castle along Highway 1 in San Simeon, California, is well worth it.

Not downgrading it at all. Merely pointing out how there's a stark difference in watching it today vs 1940. It hits you different because you've experienced so much other stuff post 1940. My experience watching Citizen Kane is going to be quite different than someone who watched it for the first time when it came out. That's inevitable, and the point I was making.

I did enjoy it, and also bought Casablanca and Singin' In The Rain yesterday to watch. I'm pretty sure I've seen Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but I'd have to look at the plot to remember honestly.