Western Buckeye League 2022

The WBL website isn't updated with the full standings or really any information, but it looks like Shawnee was the top athletic program in the WBL this past year. O-G, which has never won the All Sports Trophy, came in 2nd. St Marys Memorial and Wapakoneta right behind them.

Considering OG is one of the smaller schools in the league makes it all that more impressive that they came so close to winning the All Sports Trophy.

FWIW only 6 schools in the history of the league have won the all sports trophy.

Celina - 16
Shawnee - 11 (including this 2021-22 school year)
Defiance - 10 (last one was 2000-01)
Wapakoneta - 6
Elida - 4 (1993-94)
St. Marys - 3 (1975-76)

Interestingly enough 4 of Wapak's 6 trophies came between 2014-2018 when they won four in a row.

With 2nd place being OG's highest finish I'd be curious as to the highest finishes of the other schools like Bath, Van Wert, Kenton (I'm sure Dave knows).

Considering OG is one of the smaller schools in the league makes it all that more impressive that they came so close to winning the All Sports Trophy.

FWIW only 6 schools in the history of the league have won the all sports trophy.

Celina - 16
Shawnee - 11 (including this 2021-22 school year)
Defiance - 10 (last one was 2000-01)
Wapakoneta - 6
Elida - 4 (1993-94)
St. Marys - 3 (1975-76)

Interestingly enough 4 of Wapak's 6 trophies came between 2014-2018 when they won four in a row.

With 2nd place being OG's highest finish I'd be curious as to the highest finishes of the other schools like Bath, Van Wert, Kenton (I'm sure Dave knows).
When was the last time Celina won the all sports trophy?

When was the last time Celina won the all sports trophy?
2013-14

Defiance people please take Kevin Kline back…. I have watched a season now and then an off-season. My eyes hurt. All I hear is he is a super nice guy and I agree. But he can’t coach a lick. We have now lost 5-6 key kids who have transferred out of Pleasant to other schools. He allows the kids to do whatever they want. He has zero ability to do this job in my opinion. Not sure he survives this season. I know he ain’t got my support other than me saying great guy but go be an assistant.

Posing Napoleon Dynamite GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Sorry, I couldn't resist... :cool:

Just don’t understand the love for this stadium. Oh well, I don’t live there so if tbey’re happy that’s all that matters.

It's not exactly my favorite either, lacks a lot of the modern amenities and comfort, and seating is cramped. BUT.....

In a world where professional teams are abandoning 25 year old stadiums for the next shiny thing and no one values tradition or history anymore, it's refreshing to see a city rally together to save and spruce up an 85 year old stadium with all the history the place has seen.

I can't wait to see the end result. If done right it could honestly be an amazing place to watch a game.

Last edited:
Just don’t understand the love for this stadium. Oh well, I don’t live there so if tbey’re happy that’s all that matters.
It's right in the middle of town and close to all of the downtown attractions and locations. Plus it's got a ton of seats that are all close to the field and a true concrete stadium, not just a pile of metal. When they're finished with the renovations it will probably be my favorite in the whole WBL

It's right in the middle of town and close to all of the downtown attractions and locations. Plus it's got a ton of seats that are all close to the field and a true concrete stadium, not just a pile of metal. When they're finished with the renovations it will probably be my favorite in the whole WBL
Definitely not a good place to park or tailgate. Need to move new turf south about 10 feet from that concrete wall. I like Wapak a lot. Haven’t been to StM yet.

It feels like all of the fields in Ohio are not near the school. What is up with that? Opposite of Indiana for sure.

It feels like all of the fields in Ohio are not near the school. What is up with that? Opposite of Indiana for sure.
A huge % of schools in Ohio have been re-built in the last 30 years, especially in our area. More times I know of than not, they keep the existing football and baseball fields when the school moves, ending up with them in separate locations

It’s probably the best or one of the best gameday environments in the WBL

Only two changes to the WBL football division/region assignments, both involving D4 R14. St Marys dropped from D3 and Bath moved up from D5. Everyone else stayed put.

Division III Region 10: Defiance
Division III Region 12: Celina, Elida, Shawnee, Wapakoneta
Division IV Region 14: Bath, Kenton, St Marys Memorial, Van Wert
Division V Region 18: Ottawa-Glandorf

Breakdown of the 2022 football adjustment enrollment numbers:

350 - Wapakoneta - D3
338 - Shawnee - D3
300 - Celina - D3
283 - Defiance - D3
278 - Elida - D3 (+9 up from D4)
266 - St Marys - D4 (-4 from D3)
256 - Van Wert - D4
230 - Bath - D4
215 - Kenton - D4 (+14 from D5)
182 - Ottawa-Glandorf - D5

Most schools are pretty safely in their respective divisions. St Marys is the main school that is right on the edge and has drifted between D3/D4 the last several years.

Breakdown of the 2022 football adjustment enrollment numbers:

350 - Wapakoneta - D3
338 - Shawnee - D3
300 - Celina - D3
283 - Defiance - D3
278 - Elida - D3 (+9 up from D4)
266 - St Marys - D4 (-4 from D3)
256 - Van Wert - D4
230 - Bath - D4
215 - Kenton - D4 (+14 from D5)
182 - Ottawa-Glandorf - D5

Most schools are pretty safely in their respective divisions. St Marys is the main school that is right on the edge and has drifted between D3/D4 the last several years.
Didn’t realize Shawnee was this big now.

Very proud of OG for being so competitive in this league.

Didn’t realize Shawnee was this big now.

Very proud of OG for being so competitive in this league.
If it wasn't for the distance , OG would be a great fit for the MAC, enrollment this year is only slightly bigger than Coldwater. Plus about all of our Priest's come from Ottawa.

In 06 when Milton-Union faced off with OG that was the toughest game they played all year. Milton was loaded with talent and OG just played lights out in the loss. That is a very tough program.
More games vs WBL schools is a thing I'd like to see from Milton. OG, Defiance, Wapak are the 3 I believe we've played.

Looking forward to Memorial/Van Wert Playoff battles with a Bellevue, Clyde, and/or Shelby types
Shelby was a load in the 1960's and I am happy for their recent resurgence. As far as Bellevue and Clyde are concerned they have been 900 lb gorillas for a long time. St. Marys Memorial has long been a state power and Van Wert has certainly had a great run recently, however, Clyde and Bellevue don't care who you are once toe hits leather. Let's party!

Shelby was a load in the 1960's and I am happy for their recent resurgence. As far as Bellevue and Clyde are concerned they have been 900 lb gorillas for a long time. St. Marys Memorial has long been a state power and Van Wert has certainly had a great run recently, however, Clyde and Bellevue don't care who you are once toe hits leather. Let's party!

I'm sure getting kicked square in the teeth by VW the last 2 years has made Bellevue and Clyde at least a little bit fearful. ?

I'm sure getting kicked square in the teeth by VW the last 2 years has made Bellevue and Clyde at least a little bit fearful. ?
True dat. Perhaps they would like to compare trophy cases. Feel free to look up the histories of the two schools. Football was actually played before Van Wert won the state title. In fact, had the two played annually for the last 50 years I'll wager that Van Wert would have had full dentures by 1980.

St. Marys is a better comparison since they have been consistently excellent. Good for the Cougars, Clyde and Bellevue will be happy to see them again.

True dat. Perhaps they would like to compare trophy cases. Feel free to look up the histories of the two schools. Football was actually played before Van Wert won the state title. In fact, had the two played annually for the last 50 years I'll wager that Van Wert would have had full dentures by 1980.

St. Marys is a better comparison since they have been consistently excellent. Good for the Cougars, Clyde and Bellevue will be happy to see them again.

So many state titles there at Bellevue. ?

So many state titles there at Bellevue. ?
Again, true dat. Yet, they won't back down to Van Wert or anyone else. Now that Van Wert has cracked the state title column (their only one) it negates the four Bellevue has, I get it. Since the future apparently is now I guess looking back at the last ten seasons and looking at how Bellevue has fared as compared to VW is pointless. Clyde's four (two in football) championships don't count either I reckon.

I'm originally from Sandusky now transplanted to Lima so I know a little bit about the leagues at play in this discussion. For years I considered the WBL and Northern Ohio League to be very similar as far as the type of athletes each league boasts. The difference IMO was coaching which I thought was superior in the WBL, especially in basketball. Then the NOL is absorbed into the Sandusky Bay Conference in a move that I never expected and things went into flux. I consider the WBL's stability to be a strength, btw.

My point is that the achievements of schools in all three leagues has been fun to watch over the years and I continue to wish them all the best. I got a kick out of the explosiveness of Van Wert just like I did the methodical approach of St. Marys under Baughman and Frye, or the sheer talent of Buti's Defiance team. The same can be said for watching Clyde, Bellevue, Perkins and the rest of the memorable teams from the SBC/NOL days, and that's just in football.

I'm probably much older than you and for that reason go back farther in the volume of games I've watched and great athletes I've seen so I guess that the quality of athletics at places like Huron and Bellevue goes back well beyond me, historically they have been a tough matchup for decades. I know that's the case in the WBL as well and I thought that you were discounting what Clyde and Bellevue had doing well for a long time. If I misread you please know that wasn't my intention.

I think most WBL folks have mutual respect with leagues like the SBC. Both leagues are full of similarly sized, great schools with quality athletic programs. The leagues have had a number of memorable clashes in just the past few years of the playoffs. Van Wert against Bellevue, Clyde, Huron, Port Clinton x2. St Marys against Shelby the year they were in the SBC. O-G giving Clyde a tough game the year they won state. Kenton and Bellevue, in a game where many WBL folks cheered on Bellevue running the score up because Kenton had poor sportsmanship for years during the Mauk era. And just a few years ago, Elida and Columbian had a week 1 home-and-home that they split 1-1. Norwalk played at Wapak's Harmon Field recently in the playoffs too and, aside from the loss, hopefully enjoyed their visit to WBL country. This is really just the past four of five years. There's obviously more history than that, but overall great schools and I'm sure there will be a few more matchups this upcoming postseason. Whether one league is better than the other is largely irrelevant, and the individual school teams sort it out on the field; and that changes from year-to-year too as we saw with VW-PC.

In all actuality, I'd love seeing more WBL-SBC games in the regular season. Have a ton on respect for the programs over there, but found it a little....idk, funny to read "Clyde and Bellevue don't care who you are once toe meets leather." It's 2 strong leagues and that's the case both ways. But the comment itself is right...that's 2 good programs who can and will go toe to toe with anyone. It makes for memorable playoff games for sure.

If the WBL ever decided to go 8 league games especially I'd love to see some week 2 games against the SBC. Could be fun to match up our 10 against the top 10 from the Lake and Bay and go at it.