Weirdest things you've eaten

Orin Swift

Kind of a spinoff from Belly's ethnic food thread.

I've had escargot and pigeon in France. Funny thing is the pigeon was at a Michelin starred restaurant, do not recommend it. Sea urchin in Greece. Puffin, fermented shark and lever paste in Iceland. Kangaroo in Covington, KY. I'm a big fan of steak tartare, some may find it weird, some may not. Headed to Morocco at the end of the year and I'm excited to try camel.

lotr10

In the late 90's had multiple trips to China and tried deep fried Scorpions & Deer penis in Beijing and several different versions of snake in Guangzhou.

Honestly, snake tasted the best. But none of this compared to the Peking Duck I had in Beijing. Now that was good.

Belly35

I love garlic buttered escargot, as for pigeon it is terrible agree. I have had many food all over the world but the Haggis is the worst.
I will admit I'm not eating baby ducks, moose nose I have my limits. On the home front I just tried Edamame noodle of the bucket list now.
Kangaroo was just all spices to hide the taste, alligator Ok I think I could of had it cooked different and had a better feeling about it. dried fish strong flavor but if your hungry it will do. In Nam, Cambodia, Thailand i ate much of the native foods.. all was very good

zeeman

Momma used to make fried cows brains and cow's tongue. Not bad at all. Snails are nasty

Sig Hansen

Horse sausage, head cheese, braunschweiger, limburger cheese. All were consumed in Germany during various levels of intoxication and I enjoyed them all. Head cheese is the weirdest by far though. Blood sausage isn't even weird at all, that stuff is amazing. The easiest way to ingratiate yourself with pretty much any foreigner is to eat any food that is presented to you.

Last edited:

Omar

Man, you guys are crazy. I'm a very picky eater. I think the craziest I've gone is once using Hunts ketchup instead of Heinz.
I never understood why being a picky eater was considered bad. You’re supposed to watch what you eat, it’s critical for living a healthy lifestyle

Auggie

I have eaten a lot of weird stuff over the years but the one thing I call out is that I had blow fish at a very high end sushi restaurant in NYC. It was part of an Omakase tasting; the chef called it out but said he had prepared it numerous times with no issues. I tried it once and it was very good but that one time will be it.

Zunardo

Probably just goat. Some fur was still on it. Not a fan.
Went to a family cook-out years ago, the uncle of my girlfriend at the time put some BBQ'd goat on my plate. Wasn't half baa-aa-aa-d.

First sushi restaurant I went to, had octopus. Tasted a little like chicken. And I ordered escargot once. Didn't enjoy it, don't recommend it, but wanted to say I'd had it at least once.

thavoice

Went to a family cook-out years ago, the uncle of my girlfriend at the time put some BBQ'd goat on my plate. Wasn't half baa-aa-aa-d.

First sushi restaurant I went to, had octopus. Tasted a little like chicken. And I ordered escargot once. Didn't enjoy it, don't recommend it, but wanted to say I'd had it at least once.
yeah, it wasnt terrible the first time i had it. The second time, well, a little bit of fur was still on it!

A hamburger at a local place in Africa. I am not quite sure what it was, but pretty sure it wasnt beef!

thavoice

I have eaten a lot of weird stuff over the years but the one thing I call out is that I had blow fish at a very high end sushi restaurant in NYC. It was part of an Omakase tasting; the chef called it out but said he had prepared it numerous times with no issues. I tried it once and it was very good but that one time will be it.
isnt that the thing that if it is not made correctly you can die from eating it?

Zunardo

I have eaten a lot of weird stuff over the years but the one thing I call out is that I had blow fish at a very high end sushi restaurant in NYC. It was part Dof an Omakase tasting; the chef called it out but said he had prepared it numerous times with no issues. I tried it once and it was very good but that one time will be it.
What thavoice said.

I read somewhere that part of the culinary delight is if the chef is very skilled, and allows just a smidgen of the toxin to remain, which supposedly gives it a champagne-like tingle on your lips and tongue. Did yours do that?

USA70PP

I guess my idea of weird food is anything not normally eaten in the country where I was. Seems it was always better eaten in a "family" setting. Restaurants oft times are not the greatest purveyors of local cusine. Escargot is routine for us. When grandpa used to butcher a couple of hogs in the fall he always said we'd use everything but the squeal.

Auggie

What thavoice said.

I read somewhere that part of the culinary delight is if the chef is very skilled, and allows just a smidgen of the toxin to remain, which supposedly gives it a champagne-like tingle on your lips and tongue. Did yours do that?
Like thavoice said if prepared incorrectly it does have a toxin that does cause death.

To be honest it was part of a high level sampling and everything was great tasting. While good, for the very the serious downside it is not worth repeated eating. There were other things the chef prepared that stood out much more than the blow fish.

Orin Swift

Good call on octopus. Although I liked mine grilled vs. raw. Squid is solid too

eastisbest

Where is EIB? He's been all over and eaten some weird stuff.
Nothing too weird really. I mean, we eat pig intestines, so what's "weird?"

I wouldn't do the monkey brain thing though had a chance. Technically I think it was illegal but just didn't seem right. The blowfish was WAY off my budgeting. Haggis sure, how do you experience a pub without it? Whale. Snake. I've eaten "local" plenty. I mean village local, not restaurant local. Roots and grubs. Fruit bat in Papua New Guinea. Some small island village ran a "guesthouse." Two one room woven walled huts with mats to sleep on the ground and a small tree landscraped with a cowling from WWII. They'd bring me rice and whatever. Well, walks at night (no electricity) I'd hear this "whoop, whoop, whoop" and wind go by my head. Thought it was little kids playing with me. But in day I realized all those 6 ft bats hanging from trees? Probably looking for chow at night. Some of them don't make it back to the tree. PGers will arrow anything that moves. Some large rat. Eh, it's meat.

Honestly, probably the weirdest thing I've eaten is Capt Crunch, with crunchberries.