Week 6: Elder (4-1) vs St. Xavier (2-3)

The cooler weather tonight will take away St. Xavier's advantage of being the superior conditioned team. Elder still better have a big lead in the 4th quarter before they get worn down by X!
Get some salve for your butthurt. The thing is, the X kid was telling the truth. They were the better conditioned team that season. It doesn’t mean that’s true this year.

Last edited:
Not a fan of copying the entirety of someone’s article/work and posting it to the board. Would recommend editing the above post and let TriState Football get some clicks.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

The link is posted at top. I think yappi rules require a link if you copy and paste an article.

The link is posted at top. I think yappi rules require a link if you copy and paste an article.
Why would anyone click on the link if you paste the entire article on here? Just edit your post and delete all the stuff you copied and say “Here’s a link to the game preview.” Or excerpt the part you specifically want to discuss. Otherwise you’re basically stealing someone else’s work.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Could of sworn in 2020 season David Larkins was Elder's #1 option for throwing. Pretty sure StX for the playoff game had to double team him with Clifford playing over the top. They threw to him a lot in those two games that season.

Royer and Nieman were not used as Tight Ends, they were used as big slot / wide receivers. Coach Ramsey's offense does not really use tight ends as receivers, they use them as an extra O Lineman or full-back. Royer, Nieman, Larkins and Kirch are all on college rosters as tight ends.

2019 - That was Royer downfield. 2020 - it was Nieman.

Last edited:
35% of the completions are going to Re.

In comparison, 43% of the completions last year went to Ramsey, and if you take out the two St X games where they basically keyed on Ramsey and took him out of the game, it was 50% of completions. Not one person said "he locks onto Ramsey more than he should". In fact, about 6 months ago in this very same forum when I mentioned it was tough to know how good Hambleton was because of so many easy quick hitters to Ramsey, everyone said "of course you're going to try to get the ball to your best player as much as possible." Well...which is it?

This board is the king of flip-flop based on the topic and the person.
I’m going by what I see on the field. Completion percentages don’t tell the whole story, how about percentage of incompletions, or even better how often are each of the receivers targeted, how many times is the QB forced to run or sacked because the receiver he was locked on didn’t get open and he didn’t throw the ball.

I’m going by what I see on the field. Completion percentages don’t tell the whole story, how about percentage of incompletions, or even better how often are each of the receivers targeted, how many times is the QB forced to run or sacked because the receiver he was locked on didn’t get open and he didn’t throw the ball.
So you want them to go to their best receiver less?

These short and quick decision throws you've seen the last 2 years are by design. They don't run many plays where the QB is going through a full progression and looking off guys. Much of the Elder QBs high completion percentage is due to this - yes, the QBs are accurate QBs, but the passes, especially last year to Ramsey, where quick hitters by design.

I would be shocked if St X didn't make Elder throw more tonight. Yes, they want balance, but their success on offense is predicated on the run this year. Specht always has a good gameplan against E. E doesn't want to throw it 35-40 times a game this year. Let's see how good the Elder QB really is.

Perfect night for football, should be an interesting game. I hope I make it out of the tailgating lot.

I haven't been to an Elder Game in 18 years.

Can someone give me a tip on where to park? Seton? First place you find on the street?

How far in advance of the game should I get to the game?

Thanks!

St X stat guy seems to be a trump supporter....he has everything backwards. Sad.

Attachments

• ElderBeatingXavier.JPG
    ElderBeatingXavier.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 33
Tristate Football preview.

We are now officially past the halfway point of the regular season as teams are looking to finish strong and be running on all cylinders come the playoffs. Much is the same this week as tests come often in the Greater Catholic League South division and week six will be yet another one for both St. Xavier and Elder. The Pit plays host to the Panthers’ first league game as Elder plans a 1-0 start and the Bombers will be looking to bounce back from a tough loss a week ago to rival Moeller.

#7 St. Xavier (2-3, 0-1 GCL-S) at #5 Elder (4-1, 0-0 GCL-S)
Kickoff: 7:00 p.m., September 23rd
The Pit
Follow on Twitter @TSFootball

PLAYERS TO WATCH: St. Xavier has been big on balance throughout the season and quarterback Jack O’Malley leads the passing attack. The junior has thrown for a conference best 1093 yards and nine touchdowns. Senior wideout Jamaal Sharp has been his favorite target with 25 catches, 430 yards, and three touchdowns. Steven Napier has been the Bombers’ best option on the ground. He’s rushed for 438 yards on 102 attempts, including a season best 129 yards last week. Defensively St. Xavier has the league leader in tackles (42) in linebacker Alex Devine. They’ve gotten 33 more tackles from fellow linebacker Noah Beck, good for fifth in the league.

Elder’s Ben Schoster may be the top dual threat quarterback in the conference. The senior play caller has 700 yards passing with five touchdowns and another 200 yards rushing including four more scores. He has found Justin Re 23 times for 269 yards and three scores. Luke Flowers has been a versatile piece in the backfield with 320 yards and six TD’s on the ground and also a threat in the passing game. On defense, Ben Voelkerding continues his strong senior season with 41 tackles (3rd in the league) and 4.5 sacks to lead the conference in that department. He pairs with Liam Hulen who also has 4.5 sacks making them a tough defensive tandem to contend with.

TEAM TRENDS: The Bombers may be the most dangerous team in the state with a record below .500. They have lost to the top ranked (Moeller) and third ranked (Lakota West) teams in the state by a combined six points. Their balanced attack has given teams problems, but they have failed to make the crucial plays in close games.

Elder’s only loss came on the road to the state’s 4th ranked team in Lakewood St. Edward by a mere three points. Their defense has given up only 15 points per game and have helped the Panthers grind out victories when the offense hasn’t fired on all cylinders. Playing tough physical games has become a thing of habit.

HEAD COACHES:
St. Xavier: Steve Specht (166-64 at St. Xavier, 19th year; 166-64 overall)

Elder: Doug Ramsey: (204-95 at Elder, 25th season; 202-94 overall)

PLAYOFF HISTORY:
St. Xavier (28 appearances, 54-24 overall) – 2021, 2020 (State Champion), 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 (State Champion), 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 (Regional Champions), 2010, 2009, 2007 (State Champion), 2006, 2005 (State Champion), 2004, 2002, 2001 (State Runner-up), 2000, 1999, 1998 (State Runner-up), 1997, 1994, 1993, 1992 (State Runner-up), 1987, 1981.

Elder (23 appearances, 41-21 overall) – 2021, 2020, 2019 (State Runner-up), 2018, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2009 (Regional Champion), 2008 (State Runner-up), 2007, 2004, 2003 (State Champion), 2002 (State Champion), 2001, 2000, 1999, 1996 (Regional Champion), 1995, 1991, 1989, 1988

ST. XAVIER KEYS TO VICTORY: Protect the quarterback. Elder’s defense has sacked opposing quarterbacks 15 times this season and have provided even more pressure in the backfield. Going hand in hand, the Bombers look to find their playmakers like Sharp and Napier in space to make plays. Defensively, they’ll need to be strong against the run.

ELDER KEYS TO VICTORY: Dominate the run game. St. X had trouble against the run a week ago when they gave up 173 yards on the ground. The Panthers should continue to play a physical brand of football with Schoster and Flowers at the forefront. On the defensive side of the ball, they’ll need to continue to provide pressure with the pass rush and not give up the big play through the air.

Prediction: St. Xavier 24, Elder 17
Real galaxy brains working there. Remember when they ranked Elder 9th in the city behind Lakota East, X, Princeton and Fairfield.

I’m sure the narrative will now shift to X not being good, anything to detract from Elder’s performance.

Real galaxy brains working there. Remember when they ranked Elder 9th in the city behind Lakota East, X, Princeton and Fairfield.

I’m sure the narrative will now shift to X not being good, anything to detract from Elder’s performance.
I was wrong about the punting game. Elder never punted.

One of the biggest plays of the night, which will be somewhat overshadowed by the goal line stand, is the tackle made by Arnold #22 on #82's long catch and run to get X down there. That very easily could have ended up as an X score, but the Panther defense didn't quit on the play.

And then it goes without saying how fantastic that goal line stand was by the defense. Great effort all around and what an exclamation point on a dominating 2nd Qtr. Loved hearing the rest of the Pit get loud and the students as usual were excellent. Always fun beating a rival, especially at home, especially in that fashion.

Wow! Put a running clock on them! What a night for the Panthers!

Elder won this game upfront. The offensive line was absolutely dominant and the defensive line controlled the point of attack as well. I heard the name of X’s stud d end Hammond exactly one time tonight.

The goal line stand at the end of the half was an absolute back breaker for X. Can’t remember many similar situations where Elder’s defense was able to keep a team like that out of the end zone.

Soak it in Elder and enjoy this one. You deserve it!

Some choice quotes from Coach Specht after tonight's game. https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...-cincinnati-high-school-football/69498756007/
"They punched us in the mouth," St. Xavier coach Steve Specht said. "Back to the drawing board. They exposed a lot of things tonight. That's a good football team."

As for the switch from O'Malley to Herbstreit in the second frame, Specht made the call and went with the sophomore for the rest of the game.

"We're at the point in the season where if we continue to make the same mistakes we've got to look at other people," Specht said. "It's across the board. It's every position on the field. If we continue to make the same mistakes, it's time to give other kids an opportunity to play and give them the chance not to make those mistakes."

"It's going to be a long night," Specht said. "We're going to watch a lot of film, make a lot of corrections and start talking about the moves we're going to make because we're going to make moves."

The goal line stand at the end of the half was an absolute back breaker for X. Can’t remember many similar situations where Elder’s defense was able to keep a team like that out of the end zone.
There has been at least one other that I remember and it also happened down in that end zone. Few years back against St Edward I believe, where the Eagles didn't have any timeouts and Elder held them, with the clock running out before getting another play.

I feel like there was another one in recent memory, also down on that side of the field, but I can't remember specifics.

X’s defense was very slow. The players they had on the edges were no match for Flowers or Re. They had other problems with their mammoth defensive linemen who tired quickly after the first quarter. Conditioning was a problem. After Elder was stopped on their first possession inside X’s 20 they scored every time they got the ball thereafter.

was looking for some pboy and big putz love going on. the putz always owned him lol

jtk
()