Week 14: Division III Region 9 Final #1 Chardon Hilltoppers (11-1) vs #2 Canfield Cardinals (11-1)

Will Canfield finally break through against Chardon or will the Hilltoppers dominate again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am just citing facts...
There was at least 3,000 Canfield fans to watch us play Aurora. There was not even 1,000 Canfield fans to watch us play Ursuline.
You can't expect the same crowd at home with a clear 60-degree night and away on a rainy cold night, of course, one crowd is going to be significantly less.

You can't expect the same crowd at home with a clear 60-degree night and away on a rainy cold night, of course, one crowd is going to be significantly less.
I was at every Canfield game in 2005 and we had over 3,000 fans at every game that year with the possible exception being against Tallmadge. That game was extremely cold and there was a blizard that day. The Poland game probably had at least 7000 fans that year between both teams.

I expect a low-scoring nail biter this week. Canfield will show up with their usual hard-hitting defense and their talented QB, along with a whole heap of motivation from being eliminated 2 consecutive years by Chardon. Chardon's D is their typical championship-caliber. As others have noted the O is still young and mistake prone. "If the offense can eliminate their mistakes" has been the rally cry for several weeks, so from my perspective it grows into a bigger "IF" every week.

Chardon O: same Wing-T they have been running for 40+ years. Ball control, grind out yards and control the clock ... 'You can't score if we have the ball'. Have had multiple turnovers per game lately, and penalties are becoming a problem.

Chardon D: Speed and aggressiveness all over the field. Can get effective pressure from the D-line, leaving the talented and reliable LBs to handle the inside and outside run game. 3 D1 defensive backs patrol the secondary and match-up well versus anyone ... battle-tested versus multiple Big 10, SEC, and other D1-P5 receivers, so they aren't intimidated by much.

Winner of this game likely gets past Padua/Holy Name winner (have to assume R9 vs R10 matchup again this year) for a showdown with an excellent
I expect a low-scoring nail biter this week. Canfield will show up with their usual hard-hitting defense and their talented QB, along with a whole heap of motivation from being eliminated 2 consecutive years by Chardon. Chardon's D is their typical championship-caliber. As others have noted the O is still young and mistake prone. "If the offense can eliminate their mistakes" has been the rally cry for several weeks, so from my perspective it grows into a bigger "IF" every week.

Chardon O: same Wing-T they have been running for 40+ years. Ball control, grind out yards and control the clock ... 'You can't score if we have the ball'. Have had multiple turnovers per game lately, and penalties are becoming a problem.

Chardon D: Speed and aggressiveness all over the field. Can get effective pressure from the D-line, leaving the talented and reliable LBs to handle the inside and outside run game. 3 D1 defensive backs patrol the secondary and match-up well versus anyone ... battle-tested versus multiple Big 10, SEC, and other D1-P5 receivers, so they aren't intimidated by much.

Winner of this game likely gets past Padua/Holy Name winner (have to assume R9 vs R10 matchup again this year) for a showdown with an excellent Badin team.
Seems to me it’s strength on strength. Canfield O line Vs tough Chardon D. Both Canfield HB’s as well as the QB had long TD runs against a very big Ursuline D line. I believe those Ursuline lineman go both ways though, so wear was probably a factor.

Seems to me it’s strength on strength. Canfield O line Vs tough Chardon D. Both Canfield HB’s as well as the QB had long TD runs against a very big Ursuline D line. I believe those Ursuline lineman go both ways though, so wear was probably a factor.
Ursuline had quite a few 2-way players.

Want to say Canfield but its hard to pick against Chardon in this region until someone knocks them out.

Chardon 17-10

I was at every Canfield game in 2005 and we had over 3,000 fans at every game that year with the possible exception being against Tallmadge. That game was extremely cold and there was a blizard that day. The Poland game probably had at least 7000 fans that year between both teams.
World was a different place 17 years ago

Looking forward to this one, huge game! Very excited to see how Chardon responds after a tough battle with Kenston at Boardman. Chardon was very fortunate to pull out a big W despite the Sloppy play and numerous penalties. Some would say that’s a sign of a great team. I sure hope so.
I’ve enjoyed watching Lowry the past 2 years. I knew he was great the first time I seen him play at Chardon his Sophomore year. He’s going to give Chardon all they can handle. I still believe that Chardon will find a way despite many challenges that they will be faced with.

Chardon 14
Canfield 7

The key for Chardon will be sustained drives on offense. This means eliminating the penalties that've become a pattern in the past few games. Their defense is stellar as usual, but they haven't been wearing other teams' defenses down. They need sustained drives to run the clock and keep other teams' offenses off the field as they've done the past few years. They do that and they'll win. It will be a long day if they don't.
Chardon needs to “finish” drives and deliver that knockout blow when they have the opportunity. Put the damn ball in the end zone!

Not a lot of chatter this week for this matchup. Let’s hope both teams play to their potential and stay injury free.

More pressure on Canfield than the Toppers. Can Canfield get over the “hump” with Lowery being a one man show, or will the young hilltopper offense play to its full potential? Should be a classic. The first year both teams are on the same playing field.

Chardon 21
Canfield 20
2 OTs

Looking forward to this one, huge game! Very excited to see how Chardon responds after a tough battle with Kenston at Boardman. Chardon was very fortunate to pull out a big W despite the Sloppy play and numerous penalties. Some would say that’s a sign of a great team. I sure hope so.
I’ve enjoyed watching Lowry the past 2 years. I knew he was great the first time I seen him play at Chardon his Sophomore year. He’s going to give Chardon all they can handle. I still believe that Chardon will find a way despite many challenges that they will be faced with.

Chardon 14
Canfield 7
Not a lot of chatter this week for this matchup. Let’s hope both teams play to their potential and stay injury free.

More pressure on Canfield than the Toppers. Can Canfield get over the “hump” with Lowery being a one man show, or will the young hilltopper offense play to its full potential? Should be a classic. The first year both teams are on the same playing field.

Chardon 21
Canfield 20
2 OTs
One man show against Chardons defense won’t go over very well

Bruce is 'da man!

Chardon 21
Canfield 20
2 OT

Thought I read on here someplace that Chardon already had a few injuries? I get confused.