Week 13: Colerain

What a difference a year makes.
What a difference a schedule makes with regard to the health of players/the team
Last year's opponents were much more physical.

Bosco >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hinsdale
Colerain 2016 >> Colerain 2017
Mentor >> Walnut Hills
Cathedral 2016 >>>>>> Cathedral 2017
Moeller 2016 as bad as Moeller 2017
Elder 2016 actually not as physical as Elder 2017
LaSalle 2016 >>>>>>>>>>>> LaSalle 2017
Warren Central >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Canada
St. Ignatius 2016 >>> St. Ignatius 2017
Louisville StX 2016 actually not as physical as Louisville StX 2017
Fairfield 2016 > Fairfield 2017
Sycamore 2016 >>>>>> Sycamore 2017

This will be another battle of the ages. In week 2, rain and a very wet field & ball made it difficult for teams to really get an offense moving. X slipped, Colerain slipped and in the end St. X came up with the win in OT, as we all know. When watching the great game, I also noticed many dropped passes by St. X. Many passes were simply dropped due to a wet ball and being early on in the season. Things were still getting set and worked out. Now that it's week 13, I wonder if that will make a difference in St. X's offensive attack. It helps that Payne is back and Wolf has 3 very capable receivers along with a RB receiver in Fox.

Each team has made the proper corrections and adjustments throughout the year and are going to be even harder on each other with everything to lose this round.

This didn't seem right to me so I rewatched the game.
Wolf threw 33 passes and only 3 were dropped by the receivers.

In the Week 2 torrential downpour Wolf had 19 completions, 3 drops (1 would have been a TD), 10 bad throws and 1 completion to Kreimer in back of end zone that was ruled out of bounds but replay shows TD.

So Wolf completed 58% (19/33), 95% of his completions to the 3 playmakers (18/19) and 94% of his passes were intended for the 3 playmakers (31/33)

The completion stat suffered due to the torrential downpour but he was going to his bread and butter all game long.

In the final 2 TD drives and OT (crunch time) Wolf was 12/16 (75%), all 12 completions to the 3 playmakers and 15/16 intended for them.

This didn't seem right to me so I rewatched the game.
Wolf threw 33 passes and only 3 were dropped by the receivers.

Ok, let me rephrase that. I didn't state it very clear. Touchdown passes were dropped. Wide open, thrown right into their hands, no one in their way to the endzone. I'm not trying to be critical about it, because it was wet and it's hard to catch a wet ball so when they were dropped, it was understood and some passes were just out of reach, also possibly because the ball was wet.

Either way, the weather played a roll in the closeness of the game. St. X could have had 2 more TDs in my opinion. That's just my thought, not that I'm right.

Hudy is a much better baseball player than a QB. Kriemer and Rueve would be better options next year but I am far more interested in Friday night.

Let me fix just a couple of things. Otherwise, GREAT information ReLoad...

1. Tanner Riehle does not start for Colerain, he is a backup. Plus, you have 13 players on our starting defense...that would explain why we have only allowed 10 pts/game! ;)

Kudos to the 5'7" 173lb kid for tangling with offensive linemen.
In the film I've watched of the 2 postseason games he's getting a fair amount of PT

2. Luke Bolden is Dan Bolden's cousin, not younger brother. Luke is HC Tom Bolden's son. Dan is the son of former Colerain AD...wait for it...DAN BOLDEN! ;)

We need a DNA paternity test to sort this whole Bolden mess out

Hudy is a much better baseball player than a QB. Kriemer and Rueve would be better options next year but I am far more interested in Friday night.

When news came out during preseason that Tucker Hundley was quitting football to focus on baseball I thought Wyatt might join him.
But yes enough of this ancillary discussion let's get laser focused on this Friday night and taking care of business as the defense of the title continues

When news came out during preseason that Tucker Hundley was quitting football to focus on baseball I thought Wyatt might join him.
But yes enough of this ancillary discussion let's get laser focused on this Friday night and taking care of business as the defense of the title continues

FYI Chris Payne is questionable for friday

Big Pun's real name is Conrad Dobler!!!! He really gets the Elder guys wound up, fun to watch.

Weather forecast on Weatherunderground calling for rain Friday night. that would seem to help the Cards as tougher for X to throw.

Looks like it's going to be a nice night for football.
The bad weather isn't suppose to roll in until Saturday

Like him or hate him Tom Bolden deserves credit for making X-Colerain one of the best football rivalries in the state. Kerry Coombs ducked the Bombers every opportunity he had.

Like him or hate him Tom Bolden deserves credit for making X-Colerain one of the best football rivalries in the state. Kerry Coombs ducked the Bombers every opportunity he had.

He sure did. Bolden has kept the best non-league rivalry alive. As soon as Colerain started their reign in 1994 as a really good team, the annual meeting finished when X lost 9-0 in the Regional Final (St. X had both TDs called back by refs, both defensive). Since that year, they didn't meet until the playoffs and Colerain still came up short. After 2004, it came alive when they played in the Crosstown Showdown in 2005, when Colerain was favored to repeat as state champs. Then they met again in 2008. Since 2009, it has been alive and well. They may not have played every year since but have the last several. This game is always epic, whether it's week 2 or postseason.

GO BOMBERS!

Couple of things...

1 - In reality, there is no reason anyone should hate Tom Bolden. He is personable, likable and does a great job going the extra mile for kids, many of whom, never have had ANYONE go the extra mile for them.

2 - Kerry had his reasons for "ducking" the Bombers, if that's what you believe actually happened. The relations between these two programs in the late 90's/early 2000's was not the best. Happy to see that it has improved so much and hopefully it is a game we see every for as long as Colerain can stay competitive.

-CardinalsFan

Looks like it's going to be a nice night for football.
The bad weather isn't suppose to roll in until Saturday
You bastards really do have Cheez-its!! :mad: :p

Just a few unplanned wind gusts as Wolf releases the ball...that's all I ask for. ;)

-CardinalsFan

Couple of things...

1 - In reality, there is no reason anyone should hate Tom Bolden. He is personable, likable and does a great job going the extra mile for kids, many of whom, never have had ANYONE go the extra mile for them.

2 - Kerry had his reasons for "ducking" the Bombers, if that's what you believe actually happened. The relations between these two programs in the late 90's/early 2000's was not the best. Happy to see that it has improved so much and hopefully it is a game we see every for as long as Colerain can stay competitive.

-CardinalsFan

1 - I like Bolden but complaining about "religious taunting" after the loss to X in 2011 broke the home winning streak didn't win him any X fans

2 - In 2005 when Gamble told Coombs he had to play X in the Crosstown Showdown or Colerain couldn't be in it he whined like a 5 year old.

Water over the dam.
Tom Bolden is Catholic, had a child go to X.
Kerry Combs recruits SW Oh for OSU and signed X 5 star Justin Hilliard. Kerry and Urban Meyer were at X a few weeks ago, kids said they talked to Wolf, Kiessling and Paris Johnson.
Last yr after playoff game fans were intermixed outside locker rooms waiting for players and coaches, Colerain folks visibly upset, some crying, X fans jubilant but respectful. A lot of places that would have been a recipe for conflict, but nothing happened. Colerain folks were graceful in defeat and X folks graceful in victory. Credit to Tom and Steve setting the tone for that.

All SW OH team is out. Chase is POY. Cam, and Whit 1st team receivers, Kreimer 1st team punter, Bobby J 1st team DL and Kiessling 1st team LB. Bacevich 2nd team.

Water over the dam.
Tom Bolden is Catholic, had a child go to X.
Kerry Combs recruits SW Oh for OSU and signed X 5 star Justin Hilliard. Kerry and Urban Meyer were at X a few weeks ago, kids said they talked to Wolf, Kiessling and Paris Johnson.
Last yr after playoff game fans were intermixed outside locker rooms waiting for players and coaches, Colerain folks visibly upset, some crying, X fans jubilant but respectful. A lot of places that would have been a recipe for conflict, but nothing happened. Colerain folks were graceful in defeat and X folks graceful in victory. Credit to Tom and Steve setting the tone for that.

The Colerain/X faithful in attendance for the games are a pretty respectful crowd. Of the biggest rivals in the state, the fans are really civil towards each other and set a good example for the rest of high school football. There is no hate involved between these two teams. They love the competition.

What's the updated status on Payne?

I know he played last week against Sycamore and even had a rushing TD but not sure if he aggravated his previous injury or not. He seemed like he was ready to go and did trade downs with Fox quite often; not sure if that was injury related or just to get a fresh RB in.