Week 13: Colerain

ReLoad

The Bombers (11-1) face the Colerain Cardinals (10-2) this Friday at 7:30pm at Mason’s Dwier Field in the Ohio D1 Region 4 Final

In Week 2 the Bombers defeated the Cards 20-17 in OT at the birdcage, scoring 14 points in the final 6 minutes of regulation in a torrential downpour.

4 of the last 5 contests between the 2 teams have been decided in overtime.
2015 X lost 13-10 (OT) Week 2 at Colerain
2015 X lost 42-14 2nd Round at Dwier Field in Mason
2016 X lost 20-14 (OT) in Week 2 at Ballaban Field
2016 X won 29-23 (OT) 2nd Round at Hamilton Virgil Schwarm Stadium
2017 X won 20-17 (OT) Week 2 at Colerain

Last edited:

The teams first played each other in 1984 and StX leads the series 22-13.
Since Specht has been head coach the Bombers are 11-8 over the Cardinals.

This will be the 11th post-season meeting between the Cincinnati powers
StX currently holds a 6-4 advantage in the post-season battles

1994 X lost 9-0 Regional Final at Nippert Stadium

2005 X won 12-9 2nd Round at Bengal's Paul Brown Stadium

2006 X lost 24-7 Regional Final at Nippert Stadium

2007 X won 29-14 Regional Final at Nippert Stadium

2010 X won 24-23 1st Round at Nippert Stadium

2011 X won 28-15 2nd Round at Nippert Stadium

2012 X lost 35-14 1st Round at Colerain

2014 X won 29-21 2nd Round at Hamilton Virgil Schwarm Stadium

2015 X lost 42-14 2nd Round at Dwier Field in Mason

2016 X won 29-23 (OT) 2nd Round at Hamilton Virgil Schwarm Stadium

2017 ?????????? Regional Final at Dwier Field in Mason

Last edited:
This will be the 4th time they have met in the Regional Final.
The other 7 post season meetings include 5 Second Round games and 2 first round matchups

StX continues it's dominance of the GMC.

For the second consecutive season the Bombers have an opportunity to defeat the same 3 GMC teams (Fairfield, Sycamore and Colerain) to capture the Region 4 crown.

With the wins over Fairfield and Sycamore this post-season StX is now 64-23 all time versus GMC schools (0.736)

After their narrow losses to LaSalle (7-3) and StX (20-17) to open the season, the Cardinals have won their last 10 games outscoring opponents 416-100

Colerain Offense
#12 QB - Gunnar Leyendecker Sr. 5'11" 185lb
#54 OL - TJ Gonnella Jr. 6'1" 226lb
#57 OL - Jacob Davis Sr. 6'2" 255lb
#60 OL - Ace Ehrenschwender So. 5'11" 247lb
#76 OL - Nick Kroeger Sr. 5'11" 243lb
#65 OL - Rusty Feth Jr. 6'4" 290lb
#10 TE - Luke Ponting Sr. 6'2" 190lb
#2 WR - Javon Hicks Sr. 6'2" 185lb
#6 FB - Deante Smith-Moore Sr. 5'11" 172lb
#5 FB - Ivan Pace Jr. 5'11" 210lb
#1 TB - Syncere Jones Jr. 5'11" 180lb
#23 TB - JJ Davis Jr. 5'8"171lb

Last edited:
Colerain Defense
#11 DL - Ethan Stout Sr. 5'11" 200lb
#55 DL - Tre Harris Sr. 5'7" 197lb
#52 DL - Brennan Hobbs Sr. 5'7" 213lb
#28 DL - Tanner Riehle Sr. 5'8" 173lb
#5 LB - Ivan Pace Jr. 5'11" 210lb
#4 LB - Daniel Bolden Sr. 6'2" 236lb
#7 LB - Luke Bolden Jr. 6'2" 204lb
#9 LB - Eric Phillips Jr. 6'4" 225lb
#2 DB - Javon Hicks Sr. 6'2" 185lb
#8 DB - Jakari Patterson Jr. 6'1" 183lb
#36 DB - Deshawn Pace So. 6'0" 166lb
#1 DB - Syncere Jones Jr. 5'11" 180lb

Last edited:
The Cards DLine has got to be the shortest and smallest in all of D1 high school football.

#11 DL - Ethan Stout Sr. 5'11" 200lb
#55 DL - Tre Harris Sr. 5'7" 197lb
#52 DL - Brennan Hobbs Sr. 5'7" 213lb
#28 DL - Tanner Riehle Sr. 5'8" 173lb

This line does not pressure the QB much at all.
Hobbs is the only one with a QB sack, leading the team with 5 on the year.
The Bolden brothers from their LB positions each have 3.5 sacks on the year.
As a defense the Cards have 15.5 sacks in 12 games.

Last edited:
Like Sycamore the Cards have multiple players pulling full-time duty
Syncere Jones (RB/DB), Ivan Pace (FB/LB) and Javon Hicks (WR/DB)

With the exception of #65 the Cards OLine is on the short and small side as well

#54 OL - TJ Gonnella Jr. 6'1" 226lb
#57 OL - Jacob Davis Sr. 6'2" 255lb
#60 OL - Ace Ehrenschwender So. 5'11" 247lb
#76 OL - Nick Kroeger Sr. 5'11" 243lb
#65 OL - Rusty Feth Jr. 6'4" 290lb

In the post-season the Cards are relying heavily (80% of yards gained) on the tandem rushing of their QB (Leyendecker) and FB (Pace)

This year's Cardinal defense only returned 2 starters from last season (Dan Bolden and Ivan Pace) who along with their younger brothers (junior Luke Bolden and sophomore Deshawn Pace) combined for nearly half of this season's tackles.

Let me fix just a couple of things. Otherwise, GREAT information ReLoad...

1. Tanner Riehle does not start for Colerain, he is a backup. Plus, you have 13 players on our starting defense...that would explain why we have only allowed 10 pts/game! ;)
2. Luke Bolden is Dan Bolden's cousin, not younger brother. Luke is HC Tom Bolden's son. Dan is the son of former Colerain AD...wait for it...DAN BOLDEN! ;)

Colerain is NEVER blessed with big OL or DL. We are always amazed when we see these behemoths at other GMC and GCL schools and wonder how nice that would be. We are lucky to have Rusty...he is a very good football player.

Just hope we can keep it close.

-CardinalsFan

The teams first played each other in 1984 and StX leads the series 22-13.
Since Specht has been head coach the Bombers are 11-8 over the Cardinals.

When the rivalry between X and Colerain began in 1984 Steve Specht and Tom Bolden were on the field.......as players.

In 1984 X won 19-14 at Colerain in Week 10, Specht was starting DB as a junior while Bolden was a freshman QB.

The following year the Cardinals evened things up winning 28-21 in Week 10 at StX

Buddy_Christ_2.png

Big Pun's real name is Conrad Dobler!!!! He really gets the Elder guys wound up, fun to watch.

Weather forecast on Weatherunderground calling for rain Friday night. that would seem to help the Cards as tougher for X to throw.

CARDSFAN, what happened to Tahj Roberts?? He started the 1st game vs X, big body (6'6" 300lbs) and I thought blocked really well. is he hurt/out for the game??

This will be another battle of the ages. In week 2, rain and a very wet field & ball made it difficult for teams to really get an offense moving. X slipped, Colerain slipped and in the end St. X came up with the win in OT, as we all know. When watching the great game, I also noticed many dropped passes by St. X. Many passes were simply dropped due to a wet ball and being early on in the season. Things were still getting set and worked out. Now that it's week 13, I wonder if that will make a difference in St. X's offensive attack. It helps that Payne is back and Wolf has 3 very capable receivers along with a RB receiver in Fox.

Each team has made the proper corrections and adjustments throughout the year and are going to be even harder on each other with everything to lose this round.

CARDSFAN, what happened to Tahj Roberts?? He started the 1st game vs X, big body (6'6" 300lbs) and I thought blocked really well. is he hurt/out for the game??
Nothing happened to Tahj. He did start the first game but has since lost his starting spot. He still plays a lot, even on the DLine so you will definitely see him Friday night...assuming no injuries this week.

-CardinalsFan

This will be another battle of the ages. In week 2, rain and a very wet field & ball made it difficult for teams to really get an offense moving. X slipped, Colerain slipped and in the end St. X came up with the win in OT, as we all know. When watching the great game, I also noticed many dropped passes by St. X. Many passes were simply dropped due to a wet ball and being early on in the season. Things were still getting set and worked out. Now that it's week 13, I wonder if that will make a difference in St. X's offensive attack. It helps that Payne is back and Wolf has 3 very capable receivers along with a RB receiver in Fox.

Each team has made the proper corrections and adjustments throughout the year and are going to be even harder on each other with everything to lose this round.
Both offenses have improved quite a bit, I am sure. The precision passing that Wolf has displayed over the past 4-6 weeks has been nothing short of very, very impressive. No surprise he is headed to a school like Wisconsin. Always get a good laugh when my St. X friends talk about having less talent than Colerain...I just have to mention the back-to-back B1G QB's and the multiple lineman that have gone Power 5 and it shuts them up pretty quick. Any chance that JV QB I keep hearing about has got B1G potential as well? ;)

What was the deal on Payne? Looks like he's been healthy since the LaSally game but really showed up against the Tigers in Louisville. Real Jekyll/Hyde last three games.

-CardinalsFan

Both offenses have improved quite a bit, I am sure. The precision passing that Wolf has displayed over the past 4-6 weeks has been nothing short of very, very impressive. No surprise he is headed to a school like Wisconsin. Always get a good laugh when my St. X friends talk about having less talent than Colerain...I just have to mention the back-to-back B1G QB's and the multiple lineman that have gone Power 5 and it shuts them up pretty quick. Any chance that JV QB I keep hearing about has got B1G potential as well? ;)

What was the deal on Payne? Looks like he's been healthy since the LaSally game but really showed up against the Tigers in Louisville. Real Jekyll/Hyde last three games.

-CardinalsFan

Payne is back but don't know much about Clifford on JV. Is that the QB you are referring to...Sean's little brother? Or is he a frosh? I don't have time to look, my next class is on its way.

Jesus loves The Jesuits, The Pope & St Xavier Football!

(***And Pedophile Republicans from Alabama***)

JC says Bombers by 8 on Friday, no matter what the weather ....

Bet your weekly Sunday donation on X!

FWIW...

Jesus knows BigPun quite well...

States that BP is “One Righteous Dude”

JC kept BP from attending Eldar HS because

BP was too worldly, intelligent, interesting & good looking!

:thumb:

Last edited:
Let me fix just a couple of things. Otherwise, GREAT information ReLoad...

1. Tanner Riehle does not start for Colerain, he is a backup. Plus, you have 13 players on our starting defense...that would explain why we have only allowed 10 pts/game! ;)
2. Luke Bolden is Dan Bolden's cousin, not younger brother. Luke is HC Tom Bolden's son. Dan is the son of former Colerain AD...wait for it...DAN BOLDEN! ;)

Colerain is NEVER blessed with big OL or DL. We are always amazed when we see these behemoths at other GMC and GCL schools and wonder how nice that would be. We are lucky to have Rusty...he is a very good football player.

Just hope we can keep it close.

-CardinalsFan

Surprised you don't have Rusty going both ways

Big Pun's real name is Conrad Dobler!!!! He really gets the Elder guys wound up, fun to watch.

Weather forecast on Weatherunderground calling for rain Friday night. that would seem to help the Cards as tougher for X to throw.

My doppler says 50 degrees, only a 20% chance of light rain and fairly calm with winds around 10mph