WCAL Football 2023

Who will win the WCAL

• Total voters
Smithville put Tuslaw ( dont know why) back on the schedule for week one, then its St Thomas Aquinas in week two. Week three is a step up as they play Lucas. Not a stellar OOC schedule.

Smithville put Tuslaw ( dont know why) back on the schedule for week one, then its St Thomas Aquinas in week two. Week three is a step up as they play Lucas. Not a stellar OOC schedule.
2 D7 & a bad D5/6. Makes ya think they're just trying to get to back to 6-4/7-3. Can already see the "we're back" posts when they start league play with a better record than Dalton. ;)

2 D7 & a bad D5/6. Makes ya think they're just trying to get to back to 6-4/7-3. Can already see the "we're back" posts when they start league play with a better record than Dalton. ;)
Nah! Not to worry RG - both teams will be 2-1....well....at this point Dalton may actually be 1-1, still hoping they pick up a 3rd game

Not to get too personal in the WCAL yappi thread but I saw a post on fb of long time member/Dalton poster CommonmanDz had a heart attack & is in a coma. Doesn't sound like he's doing too well & he could use your thoughts & prayers.

Nah! Not to worry RG - both teams will be 2-1....well....at this point Dalton may actually be 1-1, still hoping they pick up a 3rd game
I don't doubt they could be, but the week after Kirtland most teams do well because the next team isn't as physical. Not sure that'll be the case going from Kirtland to Moggy.

Regardless, fully expect to see folks in green & white coming out of the wood work before they get on the bus for Lucas

I don't doubt they could be, but the week after Kirtland most teams do well because the next team isn't as physical. Not sure that'll be the case going from Kirtland to Moggy.

Regardless, fully expect to see folks in green & white coming out of the wood work before they get on the bus for Lucas
What's the spread on the Smithville/Lucas game rn?

What's the spread on the Smithville/Lucas game rn?
Believe Smithville has "more" combing back, but in 2022 Smithville's 6 wins came against teams that combined for 10 total wins on the year. Lucas' 4 wins accounted for 35 wins. Both played Hillsdale at home. Lucas won by 1 & Smithville lost by 7 in OT.

Calpreps projects a 9pt win for Lucas between the 2022 versions of the team.

I missed when the game is scheduled. Week 1 I'd call it Lucas -5 (lots of off season time to prepare). If it's week 2 or 3, then Lucas -9 sounds right.

Believe Smithville has "more" combing back, but in 2022 Smithville's 6 wins came against teams that combined for 10 total wins on the year. Lucas' 4 wins accounted for 35 wins. Both played Hillsdale at home. Lucas won by 1 & Smithville lost by 7 in OT.

Calpreps projects a 9pt win for Lucas between the 2022 versions of the team.

I missed when the game is scheduled. Week 1 I'd call it Lucas -5 (lots of off season time to prepare). If it's week 2 or 3, then Lucas -9 sounds right.
The game is week 3.

The game is week 3.
Thank you, Sir. Lucas -9 it is.

**All spreads are purely for entertainment purposes only. If you're an employee of the Ohio Department of Taxation or Commerce no need to contact me for my gaming license. I don't even have a driver's license. I do have an "FBI" t-shirt I got on spring break a lifetime ago. It doesn't stand for what you think it stands for and I wear it to mow the lawn when the Mrs isn't home.**

Smithville has been down for quite a few years and as you all know, when you are trying to rebuild something that it will take some time. Smithville is on their 3rd head coach just in the last 12 years......... so the rebuilding is taking a really long time! lol. I was hoping for a couple different non league games but as least Lucas was a step up. I played for Smithville way back in the 70"s before Schrock came along as head coach and we had some very lean years so...... I am not one of the "cheerleaders" lol. Smithville is going to have to prove themselves and win the tough ones.

Can't remember if we mentioned it on here....but tough break for Northwestern losing their coach. I think this makes something like 3 head coaches in 4 years or something like that.....now, I think Northwestern is going to be relatively bad next year regardless of who is coaching....just a tough break to have to start over again for them...

Smithville has been down for quite a few years and as you all know, when you are trying to rebuild something that it will take some time. Smithville is on their 3rd head coach just in the last 12 years......... so the rebuilding is taking a really long time! lol. I was hoping for a couple different non league games but as least Lucas was a step up. I played for Smithville way back in the 70"s before Schrock came along as head coach and we had some very lean years so...... I am not one of the "cheerleaders" lol. Smithville is going to have to prove themselves and win the tough ones.
You've always been a straight shooter on here, sir. Have never confused you with a cheerleader (and doubt anyone would want to see you in a skirt 🤣).

Agree that Smithville has some soul searching to do. The WCAL is better when Smithville is good, but, like all small town schools, the secret to success isn't in scheme. It's in getting as many kids to play as long as possible.

So far Norwayne is the only WCAL school with soccer that's been able to maintain a consistently successful football program. Waynedale & Chippewa have had flashes of success, but those are the exceptions. Not saying soccer is bad (it's absolutely not), but you have to balance the programs and not everyone can do that at the small school level. It's even tough when you have a legacy of football success like the Smithies do.

Can't remember if we mentioned it on here....but tough break for Northwestern losing their coach. I think this makes something like 3 head coaches in 4 years or something like that.....now, I think Northwestern is going to be relatively bad next year regardless of who is coaching....just a tough break to have to start over again for them...
The longer this goes the more and more success that "Mike Thut statue" fundraiser is going to be.

My insiders have told me Coach Edwards at Chippewa will be looking for some assistants since it looks like there won’t be any former staff members staying on.

Sending prayers for a quick recovery to CommonManDZ. I ,myself, know what he is going through I had a heart attack on 2017 and had two open heart surgeries in a three week period. The road to recovery is long but Im sure he is a fighter!

You've always been a straight shooter on here, sir. Have never confused you with a cheerleader (and doubt anyone would want to see you in a skirt 🤣).

Agree that Smithville has some soul searching to do. The WCAL is better when Smithville is good, but, like all small town schools, the secret to success isn't in scheme. It's in getting as many kids to play as long as possible.

So far Norwayne is the only WCAL school with soccer that's been able to maintain a consistently successful football program. Waynedale & Chippewa have had flashes of success, but those are the exceptions. Not saying soccer is bad (it's absolutely not), but you have to balance the programs and not everyone can do that at the small school level. It's even tough when you have a legacy of football success like the Smithies do.
It's even tougher for BOTH soccer and football to be successful. It can happen, but it's rare for both to have successful seasons at the same time.