WCAL 2022-23

So here's my biggest issue - this statement right here. It's one thing if you believe he's slanted one way during Norwayne games he officiates. Its a whole other thing when you're accusing him of calling a game in favor of Norwayne that Norwayne isn't even playing in. I know you're wearing Orange colored glasses, which is great, I'm a huge supporter of the Dalton football team, but come on now. First of all, Smithville was pretty good last year, better than they are this year by far. I'd love to see what the total fouls for each team were in all these games - also, Dalton split those games with Norwayne this year, you'd think if an official is so slighted toward Norwayne that as you mentioned above, he calls games in their favor even when Nowayne's not playing, that Norwayne would have just won the league outright. Norwayne went 19-4 this season - the official in question was on half of Norwayne's losses this year....

I think questioning an officials calls is all fine and dandy, it comes with the territory. It's when the integrity of the game/official is put in question that's where I draw the line. Usually we accuse officials of having a vendetta against a certain coach/team, don't see the love affair accusations too often - I think both are ridiculous.
All three of these teams were better last year by far. They all lost players to graduation that can't be replaced at schools like that.

The official in question worked the Smithville at Norwayne game (Norwayne won). He did not work the game between those two teams at Smithville (Smithville won). I never saw the guy working any WCAL game before last year's Dalton at Norwayne game.............now he has worked 5 high profile WCAL games in the 13 months since. It seems to me that he views the games through Norwayne goggles. I think it is purely common sense to avoid the same official working games between the same teams over and over. We can agree to disagree, but this is definitely something that needs to be addressed IMO.

I really want to see a photo of this referee. I've seen a LOT of referees, and am curious if I would recognize him, and if so, whether my experiences/impressions were positive or negative.

I really want to see a photo of this referee. I've seen a LOT of referees, and am curious if I would recognize him, and if so, whether my experiences/impressions were positive or negative.
I don't believe he works in the PAC - I'm pretty sure he primarily works in WCAL/Metro conferences.

All three of these teams were better last year by far. They all lost players to graduation that can't be replaced at schools like that.

The official in question worked the Smithville at Norwayne game (Norwayne won). He did not work the game between those two teams at Smithville (Smithville won). I never saw the guy working any WCAL game before last year's Dalton at Norwayne game.............now he has worked 5 high profile WCAL games in the 13 months since. It seems to me that he views the games through Norwayne goggles. I think it is purely common sense to avoid the same official working games between the same teams over and over. We can agree to disagree, but this is definitely something that needs to be addressed IMO.
He has worked WCAL for probably the last 8 or 9 years....

I think the primary issue we agree on. The important league games should have different officials working them. I think what would be acceptable and manageable would be to have a crew work 1 Dalton/Norwayne, 1 Dalton/Smithville, 1 Norwayne/Smithville. I think it would not be a problem if an official had those games - as long as he didn't have the same game opposite site.

I think the primary issue we agree on. The important league games should have different officials working them. I think what would be acceptable and manageable would be to have a crew work 1 Dalton/Norwayne, 1 Dalton/Smithville, 1 Norwayne/Smithville. I think it would not be a problem if an official had those games - as long as he didn't have the same game opposite site.
Also - I realize you probably wouldn't even want an official working all 3 of those games but again, reality is, you put the best officials you have on the best games you have.....the best officials are getting more than 1 of those 6 games

Do you know some other WCAL games he has worked other than the five we have discussed? I have watched a lot of WCAL basketball, and I never saw him till last January. I would love to pull up some old film and be proven wrong. Dalton has had more big WCAL games than Smithville the last 10 years........I know he has not worked any big games for either of those schools in that time frame.

Do you know some other WCAL games he has worked other than the five we have discussed? I have watched a lot of WCAL basketball, and I never saw him till last January. I would love to pull up some old film and be proven wrong. Dalton has had more big WCAL games than Smithville the last 10 years........I know he has not worked any big games for either of those schools in that time frame.
did he work the norwayne at smithville game last year? that game is on youtube

This is how a IVC/ WCAL Showcase would look. top 3 on wcal could be switched however
I think I would take Malvern, IV, Hiland, Buckeye Trail, Strasburg and TCC to win. I dont think Garaway is quite as good as Norwayne and i dont think Sandy Valley can score on Smithville's defense. Dalton vs Malvern could go any way but i just think Malvern is a more complete team and matches up with Wenger better than most teams.
1. Malvern/ Dalton
2. Garaway / Norwayne
3. Sandy Valley/ Smithville
4.Indian Valley/Northwestern
5. Hiland/Waynedale
6.Buckeye Trail/ Hillsdale
7. Strasburg/Chippewa
8.Tcc/ Rittman

This is how a IVC/ WCAL Showcase would look. top 3 on wcal could be switched however
I think I would take Malvern, IV, Hiland, Buckeye Trail, Strasburg and TCC to win. I dont think Garaway is quite as good as Norwayne and i dont think Sandy Valley can score on Smithville's defense. Dalton vs Malvern could go any way but i just think Malvern is a more complete team and matches up with Wenger better than most teams.
1. Malvern/ Dalton
2. Garaway / Norwayne
3. Sandy Valley/ Smithville
4.Indian Valley/Northwestern
5. Hiland/Waynedale
6.Buckeye Trail/ Hillsdale
7. Strasburg/Chippewa
8.Tcc/ Rittman
It would be interesting to see how these games played out. Might not be a bad idea for teams to leave an opening at the end of their regular season schedule to play these games. It would take a coordinated effort between both leagues. Some of these teams already play each other during the season too. I don't think anybody would be excited about playing the same non league team twice in the same year.

Norwayne 60 Chippewa 45
Smithville 54 Fairview 50
Nice to see Smithville and Norwayne in district finals. would be awesome to see a Norwayne vs Smithville finals

Norwayne wanted to stay as far away from Lutheran East as they could, but I guess they will take there chance against Ottawa Glandorf which has to be odds on favorite to get out of this regional

Why would the OHSAA schedule District games at Gilmour Academy when there is so little seating? Very nice and unique gym, but hard to find a seat.

I agree its very odd. Ohsaa always on some bs
Why would the OHSAA schedule District games at Gilmour Academy when there is so little seating? Very nice and unique gym, but hard to find a seat.
FWIW, the choice of venue for district tournament games falls under the purview of the NE District Athletic Board, not the OHSAA (i.e. the folks on the Board in C-Bus).

From what I've seen from following a variety of HS sports for the past few years, it's pretty clear that there is not a long list of schools interested in hosting neutral site tournament contests. The NEDAB pays $500 to host a sectional level game and $700 to host a district level game. Out of that money, the site is paying utilities as well as its workers (Off the top of my head: ticket scanners, custodian, site manager, clock operator, scoreboard operator, and security). The host school can attempt to supplement its profit with parking and concessions. At the end of the day, it's not as lucrative for the school as hosting a regular season home game.

From what I've seen from following a variety of HS sports for the past few years, it's pretty clear that there is not a long list of schools interested in hosting neutral site tournament contests. The NEDAB pays $500 to host a sectional level game and $700 to host a district level game. Out of that money, the site is paying utilities as well as its workers (Off the top of my head: ticket scanners, custodian, site manager, clock operator, scoreboard operator, and security). The host school can attempt to supplement its profit with parking and concessions. At the end of the day, it's not as lucrative for the school as hosting a regular season home game.
If only we still had double headers... I saw an AD tweet the other day that the Canton Fieldhouse is nearing the days of not being able to host tournament games anymore because it's no longer financially feasible, but would be if they played double headers.

If only we still had double headers... I saw an AD tweet the other day that the Canton Fieldhouse is nearing the days of not being able to host tournament games anymore because it's no longer financially feasible, but would be if they played double headers.
So I would absolutely attend a DH at a place like the Canton Fieldhouse or other locations but if it's only one game and it's not my school I'm probably not going to go. The DHs were great.

What an absolute heartbreaker tonight for Smithville. For a school with very little basketball history - it felt like this group could be the one to reach the Regional level again - they had been playing great basketball.

These losses are gut wrenching for everyone involved. You put in hundreds of hours in the off-season + thousands of shots…..to not be able to make a shot down the stretch - it just kills you.

What an absolute heartbreaker tonight for Smithville. For a school with very little basketball history - it felt like this group could be the one to reach the Regional level again - they had been playing great basketball.

These losses are gut wrenching for everyone involved. You put in hundreds of hours in the off-season + thousands of shots…..to not be able to make a shot down the stretch - it just kills you.
100% agree. So much work and it comes down a a play or 2 or here or there, the bounce of the ball and a little luck.