Volleyball Tourney

Ursuline over Coffman in five sets
25-21, 25-27, 21-25, 25-21,15-5. The difference was 12-6 in blocks....I wasn’t at the match but, the stats show Ursuline had better team defense.

No surprise in Div I, Saturday's final should be a good one. If I am not mistaken SJA is looking for its 1st OHSAA state title, I hope they get it.

Ursuline over Coffman in five sets
25-21, 25-27, 21-25, 25-21,15-5. The difference was 12-6 in blocks....I wasn’t at the match but, the stats show Ursuline had better team defense.
Stats are misleading. Coffman played fabulous defense. Ursuline is much much stronger at the net. Dominated physically. Also had much better balance. Coffman had one player with almost 30 kills and 40 digs. Amazing. But balance beats one phenomenal player usually.

Catholic AAU all star teams often have more good players and better balance for obvious reasons than Public schools , just the facts , in many sports, pretty close match for having a MUCH MUCH MUCH better everything

Also the much much much less team had only two Seniors, of course your team will still have more balance better depth and be much much much better . yes I realize you complimented the defense of the way overmatched public who was much much much worse .

Also the much much much less team had only two Seniors, of course your team will still have more balance better depth and be much much much better . yes I realize you complimented the defense of the way overmatched public who was much much much worse .
Not sure where you are coming from. I am a Coffman fan. Was simply replying to the comment about Ursuline having better team defense. The person who wrote that was not at the game. Not always accurate to look at stats and make a comment based on that without being at the game. Coffman plays defense with as much effort and desire as any team I have seen. Ursuline was simply too strong at the net. Ursuline is not an overly tall team, but the players look more like college players than high school players. They are a physically strong team and just wore Coffman down. I stand by my comment that teams with better overall balance will usually defeat a team that depends too much on one player. Riley played an amazing game. But...I am curious how many swings she had. She needed help!!! As far as the Catholic comment goes...it is awfully hard in D1 and D2 to get by the Catholic schools in the Cincinnati and Cleveland areas. I don't know what the answer is.

Last edited:
Catholic AAU all star teams often have more good players and better balance for obvious reasons than Public schools , just the facts , in many sports, pretty close match for having a MUCH MUCH MUCH better everything

As stated earlier this sport seems to be more about $ resources to support club fees and thus year round training than anything else, not sure if religious affiliation has anything to do with success on the court. Some of the skill sets needed for the sport are height, jumping ability, quick muscle reaction, and overall dexterity with your hands. You would think that this is a sport that would have more urban success rate yet I never have seen a city school win a District title let alone a Regional or State title. Now with that being said there are a couple bad apples out there; one in particular is still alive and will be playing later today. The relationships between club directors/coaches and players on a high school roster should be addressed but then again some rural pubs would be decimated if there was to be some sort of limitation on club team relationship.

...but then again some rural pubs would be decimated if there was to be some sort of limitation on club team relationship.

I thought there was a limitation on how many from a HS team can be on the same club or how many of 'their' kids a club coach can have on their team?

I thought there was a limitation on how many from a HS team can be on the same club or how many of 'their' kids a club coach can have on their team?

I believe there is a limit but that is per club team and not totally from a club. So you could have all the girls from one team practicing under the same roof with their HS coach involved basically year round.

By the way some national players view HS volleyball as the minor leagues and just a way to get touches while in the off season to the club. There are a lot of great players that stay with their lame local school and actually use a HS season to let their bodies heal a bit. Unlike football and basketball most of the catholic HS volleyball players are from catholic grade schools, there are exceptions but they are not the norm.

There are now 300 CYO volleyball teams in the Cincy area; that is a lot of players interested in playing volleyball, only 10 high schools.

Coldwater in 3 (DIII)

Versailles in 4 (DIII)

New Bremen in 4 (DIV)

Three M.A.C. teams playing in the State Championship games.

In the 1st year of competitive balance and this thing looks just like football has for years, Metro Catholics in the big school divisions and MACs in the small schools. A couple good private programs got pushed up a Division but I am not sure it would have made a difference if say Gilmour was still in III as Independence beat them with ease and Coldwater beat Independence with ease. What did happen was because of the sins of others some lousy privates and urban schools got pushed up and really didn't stand a chance.

I see separation happening sooner rather than later because all that is happening w/ CB is a shuffling of the deck.

Congratulations to the Bruins. Bring home the title today.

Nothing to be ashamed of for Lake. Had a great run.

All the credit to UA but it looked like SJA forgot there was a game today, yikes. In particular I have never seen Beth Brady struggle as much as she did this match. If you are the athlete that wants to play all 6 spots you better be able to pass and cover the corners when in the back row.

Congrats to the New Bremen Lady Cardinals who won the school's 1st team sport State Title in D4.

Congrats to Versailles on another Title in D3 and to Runner-up Coldwater.

Two more State Titles to the MAC. Which brings the total to 123.

Last edited:
Padua dominates in Div II and had arguably the most balanced team in Dayton. In addition they maybe were the youngest team in Dayton so they will be around for the next few years.

I understand your point. Maybe this year's team hasn't faced as much adversity as you'd prefer a team to see, but I'm sure the players have throughout their careers. Tusky Valley has four girls that played in last year's D3 championship 5-set loss to Miami East and two (Gilland, Gillson) that played for Tusky Central Catholic in their 2015 & 2016 D4 championship losses to Jackson Center. Experience should help.

hate to say, I told you so...but Tusky wasn't even close to being prepared for this match. Yes, they had state experience, but if I was their coach, I'd look to come over to play some of these teams for at least a weekend. Congrats on another great season for them, but I again believe that playing top competition prepares you better. Versailles knocked off both last year's state champ (Miami East) and this year's number 1 to take the title. Their brutal schedule had them prepared.