Vision Quest

Watkins Memorial has a rather nice one. I did it. ...and my abs still haven't recovered! I didn't realize how much stomach was used on that thing.

The kids were hitting the board last night in practice. So I gave it a go and to my surprise i was able to still get up and down. My abs are also cramping up still.

The bio on the beloved "Shute" (Frank Jasper):

http://eighties.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/1/746191/6172458.jpg

Jasper also appeared in the movies Freeway Maniac (1989) and the TV movie Blindsided (1993). (I bet Cruiser owns these. Jus' Sayin'.)

Jasper's last film role was in the music video for "Right Now" by Van Halen. Jasper appears as a homeless person holding up a sign that reads, "I will wrestle you for food." (Awesome, on every level.)

In college, Jasper studied Chinese medicine and accupuncture. After earning his M.D., Jasper and his wife Sandra began operation of Osani Holistic Health Care, a holistic medicine clinic in Pacific Palisades, California. (That is "Doctor Shute" to you.)

Jasper earned his black belt in Aikido several years ago after his father, himself a black belt judoka and accomplished competitor, first exposed Frank to martial arts. Jasper is also known to enjoy golf.

Reversal

"Reversal" How about that classic. I almost quit after watching that gem. The one kid did have a nice low single though, and had to love the Dad's in that movie.

Does anyone remember that other "classic", Take Down. Starred Lorenzo Lamas and Maureen McCormick (Marcia from Brady Bunch).

Sooo many errors in this one too !

Louden Swain: You never took a night off to see me wrestle before. They'll dock you for that.

Elmo: Hey, kid - money ain't everything.

Louden Swain: It's not that big a deal, Elmo. I mean, it's six lousy minutes on the mat, if that.

Elmo: You ever hear of Pele?

Louden Swain: Yeah, he's a, a soccer player.

Elmo: A very famous soccer player.

Elmo: I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the goddamn goalie never knew what the hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'm here, sitting alone in my room, and I start crying.

That's right, I start crying. Because another human being, a species that I happen to belong to, could kick a ball, and lift himself, and the rest of us sad-assed human beings, up to a better place to be, if only for a minute... let me tell ya, kid - it was pretty goddamned glorious. It ain't the six minutes... it's what happens in that six minutes.

That's right, I start crying. Because another human being, a species that I happen to belong to, could kick a ball, and lift himself, and the rest of us sad-assed human beings, up to a better place to be, if only for a minute... let me tell ya, kid - it was pretty goddamned glorious. It ain't the six minutes... it's what happens in that six minutes.

Love this....

It's what you do in that six minutes.

I had no idea the "Hammer" had a movie. Where can I find it? Is it a movie about him or like a documentary or something?
It came out last Tuesday.Its about his life story.Walmart is where i bought it.Good acting an good movie.Rich Franklin plays his coach at Purdue.

Solomon...That quote from Elmo is one of the best ever. I was in 8th grade when I saw Vision Quest for the first time. I was a wrestler, but it wasn't my identity yet, it was just something I did. That was the first year I ever went to the State Tournament and I watched Mark Marinelli pin Dan Donovan in the semis. I was so inspired and I started dreaming about wrestling on those mats some day. I remember realizing what Elmo was talking about. To this day, I love watching young athletes push themselves farther than they knew they could. I have watched every State Tourney for years now, and each year there are those moments...when a kid does something that just makes you stop and appreciate.

I also want to see "Takedowns and Falls" and "Pinned". Documentaries about HS wrestling. Has anybody seen either one of those? I did see one guy comment on T&F on here and he said it was good.

This is a true story. We worked out this morning and kids were kind of half-*ssing it, erc. I get real fired up and start ranting...and honest to God if Red Rider's Lunatic Fringe doesn't start up ON THE RADIO in the background. I get real excited and start running around, saying pep-talk things and what-not. The level comes up. Louden wins again.

I texted LPW immediately when it happened, he can verify. Like a movie.

Anybody else see any Owings/Gable parallels? I always thought Louden was a bit like Owings and Shute was like Gable. Owings dropped a lot of weight to take on the unbeatable Gable, and then beat him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1135499/index.htm

http://www.wrestlingpod.com/wrestling-news/w2838/

Dan Gable was, is and will always be "THE MAN"!!! I know they called him "The kid" , but he's "THE MAN"!!! I was kinda sad to see him stop coaching, but what else did he have to prove at that point? The man's won everything there is to win.

***Spoiler Alert***

Clue #1 Across in today's Dispatch, Life and Arts crossword puzzle #1...

1984 Matthew Modine film

Even though it was Birdy, I made Vision Quest fit.

"Pinned" is good. Great comparison between Lance Palmer and the Lakewood boy. If you get a chance at "The Third Day", grab it. It's a documentary of Ohio State's 3rd place run approx. 6 years ago.

"Pinned" is good. Great comparison between Lance Palmer and the Lakewood boy. If you get a chance at "The Third Day", grab it. It's a documentary of Ohio State's 3rd place run approx. 6 years ago.

Best thing I've seen on DVD in a LOOOOOOOOONG TIME!!!!!!!

I'm stll trying tot get my hands on one. I actually talked to the films producer once... I told him to carry a copy from now on. The next time I see him, I'll give him $40. Amazing background information in that movie.

I remember watching it in the theater here in Columbus... I fell apart when Jesse Leng's story unfolded. If I remember correctly, as the picture was fading out, you heard Jesse - who realized a broken ankle was going to keep him out of the NCAA's - ask, "What now?" As the picture went black, white letters faded in... He headed off to war in the Middle East.

Man, what a champion. Awesome stuff. I've talked to him on just a few occasions, but when I do, I love it. What a guy.

And the Johnny Clark stuff!?!?!?! It just gets better and better with each unfolded story.

Is the the documentary that Will The Thrill filmed ?
That was a RAW in your face real documentary! Loved it!

If anyone can find "The Third Day", please pass on the info. Apparently there was a movie in the 60's called "The Third Day" and that's all I can find.