Vision Quest

Warrior152

I finally got to watch Takedowns and Falls last night. Pretty cool. I was glad to see I was way wrong, but I thought for sure that coach was gonna pass on at the end of it. Man, how nice would it be to have the set up that the Peppelmans had in their back yard-the "barn"? They seemed like two great kids who obviously had great parenting.

D3legend

I finally got to watch Takedowns and Falls last night. Pretty cool. I was glad to see I was way wrong, but I thought for sure that coach was gonna pass on at the end of it. Man, how nice would it be to have the set up that the Peppelmans had in their back yard-the "barn"? They seemed like two great kids who obviously had great parenting.
Yea I agree. If you noticed that all the better kids all had mats and weights in their basement. It was a lifestyle for them!!

rr23724

Going back and reading this thread brought up one my worst memories. When I was a kid there was a tournament every year at Bexley that was the precursor to what became the ToC. They brought in a couple celebrities every year to sign autographs and such (I remember one year they had the kid from Alf). There was a year where they had the actor who played Shute. We all couldn't wait to see him and get picture with him. He shows up and looks nothing like the character. The guy wasn't nearly as muscular, had long greasy hair hanging over one eye and looked every bit the part of the stereotypical skater/surfer/slacker.

This wasn't Shute.

I was crushed.

WGTJ

Going back and reading this thread brought up one my worst memories. When I was a kid there was a tournament every year at Bexley that was the precursor to what became the ToC. They brought in a couple celebrities every year to sign autographs and such (I remember one year they had the kid from Alf). There was a year where they had the actor who played Shute. We all couldn't wait to see him and get picture with him. He shows up and looks nothing like the character. The guy wasn't nearly as muscular, had long greasy hair hanging over one eye and looked every bit the part of the stereotypical skater/surfer/slacker.

This wasn't Shute.

I was crushed.
I should hit Frank Jasper up on FB and point him to this thread. 🤣

joeyb77

This wasn't Shute.

I was crushed.
The Ohio Super Tournament.

OCEagle

Here's a link to Takedowns and Falls that I just found for free streaming. Never heard of it until I read through this thread.

At about 8 minutes in, there is a quick appearance by Kenny Courts, Sr. and later again as the assistant coach at Central Dauphin. That would have been before his son reached high school since the film was made in 2005/2006.

Last edited:

OCEagle

Found another wrestling "movie/documentary" while doing a search on Prime Video. It's called "Junkyard Dogs" and is about an elite academic school in California (Harvard Westlake) with a crummy wrestling room and a great coach who came into the program and carried a video camera around with him all the time. Follows 4 years of his coaching and a chubby 14 year old freshman (Kenji Porter) who was wrestling at 215. Was wrestling underweight at 205 the entire year and losing most of his matches, but got inspired with every win. By his senior year, he was wrestling 189 and finished 5th in California. Ended up wrestling at Columbia and was team captain his senior year there. He lost in the semis to some guy named Jake Varner (this was in 2005) Good documentary with actual wrestling, puking at practice, puking at meets, and kids always injured or sick and other excuses. Coach wrestled collegiately at Arizona State (Gary Bairos) and figure out how to get the most out of the kids that came out to wrestle. Good flick for young kids to watch and see how they can grow just by working hard and staying with it.