Usher's Halftime Performance

Watched sparingly. I really don't feel it's necessary to have a big halftime show for the super bowl. It makes a mockery of the game, but the NFL doesn't care, it's all about eyeballs and making money. And no one every says anything because it makes money for non football viewers. To me it's again another unfortunate sell out of pro sports.
No it doesn't.

Professional sports is selling out to making money?!?! Oh the humanity!!!

The only thing I enjoy is bringing out surprise artists. Big missed opportunity to flash the camera to Taylor Swift in her suite then have her ride a zip line down into ushers arms.

If you're going to complain about Slipknot then I hope you have an issue with Dr Dre, Snoop Dog, and Eminem last. Just about every genre of music has been covered at the SB halftime show other than hard rock/metal
Dr Dre, Snoop and Eminem have countless smash hits they could perform (and did). Slipknot do not

Can you dance to their music? Would you play their music if you were hosting a house party with women present? How many of their songs have appeared on a Top 40 station? Could you use their music or brand to sell soda pop and perfume? Snoop Dogg is out here making Corona commercials. What is Slipknot doing?
Yes in fact you can. Go to one of their concerts and you’ll see a lot of people dancing and also moshing which no other form of music really has.

Aren’t top 40 stations only composed of pop and R&B?

Burger King wanted to use Slipknot in a commercial once and they refused and they ended up suing them or something like that.

I just checked their Facebook page and Slipknot has 17 million followers so they are a band a lot of people definitely know about.

Would these bands even say yes to the Super Bowl?
Disturbed was actively trying to perform a few years back or at least their lead singer wanted to do the national anthem.

I'm officially old and out of touch. I just read Post Malone's wiki page. Honestly, I've only heard of the guy a few times. Didn't realize he has had such a lengthy career so far. I was a little taken back when they showed him at the SB later and he's got all the tats on his face. I guess it really shows you how far we've come as a country in a lot of ways.

IMO...Journey would be the best band to have...

Huge appeal across the board. Don't stop Believing..one of the most popular songs.

Can't believe it's not been done.

Probably too many white people in the band is my guess.

Too white…maybe but with an average band member age of what, 65 and their best song - Don’t Stop Believing, was released in 1981…..

Journey - nice band but way, way, way too old.

Ushers halftime was good but no close to my two favorites: Prince singing Purple Rain in the rain and Shakira & JLo - just sexy.

There’s one big act out there that hasn’t don’t a halftime yet….TSwift!

Too white…maybe but with an average band member age of what, 65 and their best song - Don’t Stop Believing, was released in 1981…..

Ushers halftime was good but no close to my two favorites: Prince singing Purple Rain in the rain and Shakira & JLo - just sexy.

This is because she’s not on the back half of her career yet. Most, if not all, of the performers have been on the back half—and I’m only measuring charted singles as a measurement.

I'm officially old and out of touch. I just read Post Malone's wiki page. Honestly, I've only heard of the guy a few times. Didn't realize he has had such a lengthy career so far. I was a little taken back when they showed him at the SB later and he's got all the tats on his face. I guess it really shows you how far we've come as a country in a lot of ways.
I'm going to have to look him up...i guess I'm old as dirt.. i have never heard of him or seen him before the other night.....

put ACDC out there.... their music is probably still played in more locker rooms and weight rooms then any band!!!

Last edited:
put ACDC out there.... their music is probably still played in more locker rooms and weights room then any band!!!

Yes I’m sure a couple of their songs are still played in locker rooms and weight rooms but AC/DC was formed in 1973. In 2022 the median age in the USA was 38.9. Only old people want to see a bunch of old guys (65+ years of age) stand in one spot on stage for 20 minutes. It’s about the viewers and the viewers who the advertisers covet: Young adults 25-40ish who spend $$$ is the target market. A 50 year old band is probably not the first choice to reach these people.

I could see a country all star lineup possibly working. Luke Combs is popular and he could do the Cars song w/ Tracy Chapman, Lainey Wilson and maybe another big act. Something current, popular, south of 50 years old.

Yes in fact you can. Go to one of their concerts and you’ll see a lot of people dancing and also moshing which no other form of music really has.

Aren’t top 40 stations only composed of pop and R&B?

Burger King wanted to use Slipknot in a commercial once and they refused and they ended up suing them or something like that.

I just checked their Facebook page and Slipknot has 17 million followers so they are a band a lot of people definitely know about.
Slipknot have no songs people are going to know when they performed them. Usher has several, Rihanna has about 20, Dr Dre/Snoop/Eminem/Kendrick/Mary J have about the same as Rihanna, The Weeknd has like 5 etc. You don't book the Super Bowl nowadays without a catalog of hits

put ACDC out there.... their music is probably still played in more locker rooms and weights room then any band!!!
Just like jazz replaced classical as the youthful revolutionary sexual genre, and rock and roll replaced jazz, hip hop has long replaced rock and roll. There are only two black kids in my community's high school basketball program, but warmups at the gym on Fridays they're booming Travis Scott, Future, A$AP Rocky, etc.