Usher's Halftime Performance

One big ad for his new album and likely tour. My twenty somethings thought it was OK, not my thing though. Also it has been 6 years now since a non R & B or Hip Hop act has done a SB halftime, you would think they would mix it up a bit.

Last edited:
My wife and 20 something daughter seemed to like it judging by the hoots coming from the TV room. I’m not really into the halftime shows thats my 30 minutes to eat wings and the skyline dip. I don’t think anything less of the people that enjoy it.

It was good. Maybe a top ten. I think he should have performed fewer songs in the medley so that the ones included could have had longer play. I don't think Let it Burn and Confessions fit the vibe. I thought the duet with Alicia Keyes was very cute, but she sounded like she's lost some range on If I Ain't Got You. The Ludacris/Lil Jon section was a full-on party.

It was okay. Nothing earth shattering but not a total flop. My guess is most here won’t care for it.
I forgot about the skating part. That was fun and unexpected. Apparently that wasn’t something he learned for the SB, he’s just a big fan of rollerskating.

It was good. Maybe a top ten. I think he should have performed fewer songs in the medley so that the ones included could have had longer play. I don't think Let it Burn and Confessions fit the vibe. I thought the duet with Alicia Keyes was very cute, but she sounded like she's lost some range on If I Ain't Got You. The Ludacris/Lil Jon section was a full-on party.
I missed it, I was busy slicing up potatoes, and then frying them up so I could make potato chips, since snacks costs so much.......

Still waiting for a Slipknot or at least a hard rock/metal band halftime performance. Every other genre has been done

It was a decent performance. I know some of his stuff, but wouldn't call myself a fan. I did appreciate the fact that he was actually singing and not just lip-synching. Time to get away from the hip-hop genre next year, can I get Foo Fighters or Metallica?

Still waiting for a Slipknot or at least a hard rock/metal band halftime performance. Every other genre has been done
Don't tell me you're serious with Slipknot. Your best bet with hard rock would be someone like Foo Fighters, but they're old. They're on a run of appealing to millenials and Foo is Gen X.

Muse would put on a great show but I don't know if they would move the needle for the casual viewer.

Don't tell me you're serious with Slipknot. Your best bet with hard rock would be someone like Foo Fighters, but they're old. They're on a run of appealing to millenials and Foo is Gen X.

Muse would put on a great show but I don't know if they would move the needle for the casual viewer.
Dead serious. Have you ever seen Slipknot live? Foo Fighters just isn't heavy enough and too alternative

Dead serious. Have you ever seen Slipknot live? Foo Fighters just isn't heavy enough and too alternative
No. But I know their music and have seen footage of their shows. They are way too niche to be a serious contender for the Super Bowl.

I know female Slipknot fans exist, but consider everything about their persona. IMO they are probably the least female-appealing music act possible outside of maybe GWAR.

No. But I know their music and have seen footage of their shows. They are way too niche to be a serious contender for the Super Bowl.

I know female Slipknot fans exist, but consider everything about their persona. IMO they are probably the least female-appealing music act possible outside of maybe GWAR.
If you're going to complain about Slipknot then I hope you have an issue with Dr Dre, Snoop Dog, and Eminem last. Just about every genre of music has been covered at the SB halftime show other than hard rock/metal

What did you think?
Watched sparingly. I really don't feel it's necessary to have a big halftime show for the super bowl. It makes a mockery of the game, but the NFL doesn't care, it's all about eyeballs and making money. And no one every says anything because it makes money for non football viewers. To me it's again another unfortunate sell out of pro sports.

If you're going to complain about Slipknot then I hope you have an issue with Dr Dre, Snoop Dog, and Eminem last. Just about every genre of music has been covered at the SB halftime show other than hard rock/metal
Don't know how what I said constitutes complaining. But how many metal acts that are still going today ever truly crossed into mainstream appeal and cultural influence? Metallica? Manson? Korn?

Can you dance to their music? Would you play their music if you were hosting a house party with women present? How many of their songs have appeared on a Top 40 station? Could you use their music or brand to sell soda pop and perfume? Snoop Dogg is out here making Corona commercials. What is Slipknot doing?

Would these bands even say yes to the Super Bowl?

This past Super Bowl was the most watched telecast in history. I have to imagine the Taylor effect was a huge part of that. That's the direction the NFL wants to go. They don't care if you personally dislike Usher's music. They care that your TV is on.

Watched sparingly. I really don't feel it's necessary to have a big halftime show for the super bowl. It makes a mockery of the game, but the NFL doesn't care, it's all about eyeballs and making money. And no one every says anything because it makes money for non football viewers. To me it's again another unfortunate sell out of pro sports.
Have to imagine the spectacle of the whole thing makes a difference for the athletes.

Have to imagine the spectacle of the whole thing makes a difference for the athletes.
I thought about that Sunday. The Chiefs really struggled the first half, and was able to drive the ball and get a FG, they had the ball to start the 3rd. But after a 45 minute break, is there really any momentum anymore? Did the lengthy break cause Greenlaw to cool down so much that it contributed in his achilles rupture? Debo's hamstring? Who knows?? But no one will say anything because the NFL and the networks are all about making money. I mean what league think's its best for it's players to send them to the other side of the world for a game during the season, it takes a home game away from one of the teams (they only have 8-9 home games a season). But it's the NFL, it's not about the game it's about making money. Just unfortunate.

I thought about that Sunday. The Chiefs really struggled the first half, and was able to drive the ball and get a FG, they had the ball to start the 3rd. But after a 45 minute break, is there really any momentum anymore? Did the lengthy break cause Greenlaw to cool down so much that it contributed in his achilles rupture? Debo's hamstring? Who knows?? But no one will say anything because the NFL and the networks are all about making money. I mean what league think's its best for it's players to send them to the other side of the world for a game during the season, it takes a home game away from one of the teams (they only have 8-9 home games a season). But it's the NFL, it's not about the game it's about making money. Just unfortunate.
The players are making $s too, they can negotiate all of these issues away but then again this is a hard capped sport so if revenue goes down then salaries will soon follow. As discussed on another thread expect to see some sort of lengthening of the season with an additional bye and more international games, for this the players will get some sort of increase and more roster spots. Finally it is almost a certain in the near future the Super Bowl will be played on Presidents Day weekend, that way they can kick off later and all the public employees will have Monday off to recoup.

IMO...Journey would be the best band to have...

Huge appeal across the board. Don't stop Believing..one of the most popular songs.

Can't believe it's not been done.

Probably too many white people in the band is my guess.