UC Football 2018

Say what you will abut UCF, and I don't believe they should be in the playoffs, their 23 game winning streak is amazing and I don't care who they've played in the process.

As an OSU fan with memories of one sided losses to Iowa & Purdue over the last 2 seasons still vivid in my memory, it's not easy to go undefeated for one season let alone two in a row. I think Herbie was spot on last night in saying that on a neutral field UCF could beat ANY of the teams currently ranked 5 - 10.

Say what you will abut UCF, and I don't believe they should be in the playoffs, their 23 game winning streak is amazing and I don't care who they've played in the process.

As an OSU fan with memories of one sided losses to Iowa & Purdue over the last 2 seasons still vivid in my memory, it's not easy to go undefeated for one season let alone two in a row. I think Herbie was spot on last night in saying that on a neutral field UCF could beat ANY of the teams currently ranked 5 - 10.

They wouldn’t beat Georgia, no chance in hell. Maybe they have a chance vs the likes of Ok, WV, Wazzu, OSU bc their Defenses are bball. I’d still pick any of those teams over UCF, but UCF would score enough points to make it close

They wouldn’t beat Georgia, no chance in hell. Maybe they have a chance vs the likes of Ok, WV, Wazzu, OSU bc their Defenses are bball. I’d still pick any of those teams over UCF, but UCF would score enough points to make it close

I think Oklahoma, WVU and Wazzu each beats UCF by 14-21.

You mean the Georgia team that LSU buried?

The way Ok & Ohio State play defense I suspect that UCF goes up and down the field against both and scores 40 or more points!

The way LSU plays offense (Burrow is having a remarkable year considering how bad the Tigers WR's & O -line is) UCF would only need 24 to likely win that game.

As for Wash State & WV, I think it would be a 50/50 game against UCF.

Why? None of those teams are bringing great defense

Neither is UCF. I think those three schools get enough stops against UCF to outscore them by 2-3 TDs. UC got beat in man coverage on the outside when trying to take away the run. UC's strength is in the front 6/7 and they were exposed in the back end. I don't think Oklahoma, WVU or Wazzu has as much trouble as UC did and their offenses are much better than the Bearcats.

You are way too certain. OU went back and forth with the likes of Kansas, Army, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State, and I would favor UCF against all of those schools.

Same goes for all of the teams mentioned.

Talking about a disappointing effort, especially from the senior heavy OL. Something also needs to be done about the kicker, he cost them the Temple game and did no favors against UCF. How hard is it to find one these days?

You are way too certain. OU went back and forth with the likes of Kansas, Army, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State, and I would favor UCF against all of those schools.

Exactly right. In fact I would go one step further and say that UCF this year would be right in the mix to win a Big 12 championship.

My sense is that only Bama & Clemson would maul UCF as they would maul pretty much everyone else in the top 15. ND is the 3rd best team but there is a drop off from the top 2. After that UCF would have a fighting chance against any of the others.

But we'll never know with what passes for a "playoff" system in college football.

As an aside Crusaders everyone wanting college football to have a REAL playoff should root for the big 12 champ to NOT to make the playoffs this year. At that point BOTH the Pac 12 & Big 12 are going to be looking kindly at an 8 team playoff where the P5 conference champs get an automatic bids.

The best case for expansion would be:
#1 Clemson - ACC Champ
#2 Notre Dame - undefeated
#3 Georgia - SEC Champ
#4 Alabama - 1-loss SEC runner-up

Left out:
1-loss Michigan or Ohio State
1-loss Oklahoma
1-loss Wazzu

Just my opinion. I haven't been overly impressed with UCF this year compared to last year. They're not as good on the whole. I don't think they have as much offensive success against those three teams and I don't think they're getting enough stops to win. Let's not overreact that they beat UC Saturday night in primetime and think "wow they can play with anyone."

Who would be the four assuming the following plays out?
1) Bama beats Auburn and wins the SEC championship game as well.
2) Winner of OSU/MICH loses the Big Ten Championship game (a distinct possibility, especially if the Buckeyes beat the Wolverines).
3) Oklahoma loses the the Big 12 championship game.
4) Notre Dame loses to USC.
5) UCF remains unbeaten as the American Athletic Champion.

Might UCF squeak in at the 4 if that happened? Bama would be the 1 seed of course and would throttle them, thus proving everyone right. Never mind that Alabama is likely to throttle any team not named Clemson. Everyone would say that it was proof UCF did not belong.

Fortunately, my scenario is very unlikely. Instead UCF will likely be on the outside looking in. They will get an invite to one of the major bowls against a power 5 opponent. Maybe they get stomped there too, or maybe, like last year, they find a way to win. Of course if the that happens, everyone will just say the Power 5 team had nothing to play for since they weren't playing in the Football playoff and dismiss UCF again. If you are outside the Power 5, you never get the chance to prove yourself against the best. Power 5 contenders are not banging down UCF's door to play a regular season game and then many dismiss any bowl game win they have.

Hell, half the Power 5 blowhard fans wouldn't think UCF is worthy of a spot at 8 or even 16. Odds are UCF would get beaten and maybe soundly beaten by any of the teams that will likely end up in the football playoff. However, sometimes David upsets Goliath. Better not to risk it if you are the powers of college football.

At four teams, you certainly can't risk it. The NCAA tournament proves that. As much as we love the first round upsets, ratings prove we much prefer the elite programs advance beyond that first week. Seems most of us would rather Cinderella bowel out gracefully than prevent Duke vs UK in the Elite 8 or Final 4. At four teams, it has to be all Power 5. After all, if a non-Power Five not named Notre Dame gets in and even worse, wins the semifinal, who would watch the Championship game? No one knows, but likely several million less than who will watch if the "right" conferences are matched up in the final.

Do NOT bother, Crusaders! adselder09 is nothing but a P5 ELITIST!!

Evidence? What evidence? Have the teams play before? I explained my reasoning in another post - you call "absurd" and then don't explain anything. Shocker.

Just look at the games these teams have played!!

As OU was already explained to you, they have a record THIS SEASON of struggling with less-thans!

WVU, hammered by Iowa State! Lost to Oklahoma State!

Washington State lost to a mediocre USC team! Barely beat below-average Cal!!

Yet it is a sure thing all of these teams would beat UCF by 14-21 points?!! Why?! Because they're P5 teams, so they MUST be 2-3 TDs better?!! ELITISM!!

Just look at the games these teams have played!!

As OU was already explained to you, they have a record THIS SEASON of struggling with less-thans!

WVU, hammered by Iowa State! Lost to Oklahoma State!

Washington State lost to a mediocre USC team! Barely beat below-average Cal!!

Yet it is a sure thing all of these teams would beat UCF by 14-21 points?!! Why?! Because they're P5 teams, so they MUST be 2-3 TDs better?!! ELITISM!!

UCF's defense gave up 40 points and almost 600 yards of offense to Temple. See I can do this too.

You can disagree with me, that's fine. It's all opinion-based on our part as these teams likely won't be playing one another, but that doesn't make me a P5 Elitist. Neither do my comments on Kelly Bryant coming to UC.

So what if Clemson loses to Pitt, a team that UCF killed? Should Clemson still get in over a team that hasn't lost in two years? The first thing that has to happen is UCF needs to run the table. Then this discussion can get real. UCF is not that far behind the top teams in the P5. What if Georgia loses to Georgia Tech and then beats Bama in the SEC championship game? Does Georgia get in after they loss to a mediocre Georgia Tech and a mediocre LSU? What is ND loses to a mediocre USC? A ND team that struggled to beat a mediocre Pitt team that UCF drilled? Does none of this matter? If some of these upsets happen, and they can happen because no one is that good except Bama, then an undefeated UCF belongs in over some of these big teams.

UCF's defense gave up 40 points and almost 600 yards of offense to Temple. See I can do this too.

You can disagree with me, that's fine. It's all opinion-based on our part as these teams likely won't be playing one another, but that doesn't make me a P5 Elitist. Neither do my comments on Kelly Bryant coming to UC.

You missed the point if you think you were "doing this, too"!!

How you cling to your assumptions IN SPITE OF the evidence is what makes you an ELITIST! There is no justification for your "opinion" that UCF 2-3 TDs worse than those three teams!!

You missed the point if you think you were "doing this, too"!!

How you cling to your assumptions IN SPITE OF the evidence is what makes you an ELITIST! There is no justification for your "opinion" that UCF 2-3 TDs worse than those three teams!!

:laugh: And you're doing any different? It's literally the same thing on your end, but I'll indulge:

Sure there is. UCF isn't as good this year as they were last and they gave up 40 points and almost 600 yards to Temple. Oklahoma, West Virginia and Washington St all have better offenses than Temple.

UCF played a tight game with Navy. Oklahoma played tight with Army - who's having a better season than Navy.

I realize those three teams don't have great defenses either so UCF would be able to score but in my opinion I think they all beat the Knights by 2-3 TDs.

So what if Clemson loses to Pitt, a team that UCF killed? Should Clemson still get in over a team that hasn't lost in two years? The first thing that has to happen is UCF needs to run the table. Then this discussion can get real. UCF is not that far behind the top teams in the P5. What if Georgia loses to Georgia Tech and then beats Bama in the SEC championship game? Does Georgia get in after they loss to a mediocre Georgia Tech and a mediocre LSU? What is ND loses to a mediocre USC? A ND team that struggled to beat a mediocre Pitt team that UCF drilled? Does none of this matter? If some of these upsets happen, and they can happen because no one is that good except Bama, then an undefeated UCF belongs in over some of these big teams.
:laugh: Oh the transitive property, how silly.
UCF beat Pitt like a drum, ND struggled with them.
ND beat Navy like a drum, UCF struggled with them.

What does it all mean? Nothing. UCF jumped in front of Ohio St who's been playing like crap for 5 weeks now - after they finally beat a ranked team. UCF isn't getting in the Playoff. They're SOS will keep them out. Heck through all your what-if scenario's they still could lose to South Florida or Houston/Memphis.

As for the rest of your what-if's.
-Bama is in unless they lose two straight.
-Clemson is in unless they lose two straight.
-UGA is in if they beat Bama, if they lose to GaTech then LSU may get in over them instead but probably one of the two.
-Notre Dame is out if they lose, unless it comes down to ND and UCF - meaning everyone else lost.
-Michigan could still get in ahead of UCF even if they lose to Ohio St.
-Washington St is out if they lose again.
-Oklahoma is out if they lose again.
-LSU likely not getting in, but could if it comes down to them or 2-loss UGA - granted UGA having an SEC title may trump LSU's h2h win.
-Ohio St would definitely jump back in front of UCF if they beat Michigan and Northwestern.

Everyone ahead of them would have to lose at least once, if not twice for UCF to even have a chance at #4.

Last edited: