UC Football 2018

WinstonSmith

Big season for Luke Fickell IMO, he's recruited very well but needs on-field improvement.

Joe Burrow is confirmed as visiting campus tomorrow as he considers where to transfer from OSU.

UC's talent level will be very good in the freshman and sophomore classes IMO with OL still being the big question mark across the board. I just don't see much talent there. I wish they could pick up a couple of grad transfers at that spot.

Burrow would be really big. Getting him would likely be the difference in a couple more wins next year.

I would say 6. Tubby left the cupboard pretty bare, so it's going to take Fickell a couple years to build the program.
After what we saw last year, the only way to go is up. That was a pathetic season.

I see year three when he really get's up into the Bowl eligibility numbers. Once again they'll either be forced to play very young kids who may not have size. Or older guys that have size but not skill. When schools allow a coach to take a program down that far, it's more than a two year fix.

Fickell doing what Tuberville never did, hitting the local Tri-State area hard in recruiting won't pay off fully for at least another year but it is the key to any future to any long term success.

Finding a QB (or making Hayden Moore at least serviceable) will determine their short term success.

Fickell doing what Tuberville never did, hitting the local Tri-State area hard in recruiting won't pay off fully for at least another year but it is the key to any future to any long term success.

Finding a QB (or making Hayden Moore at least serviceable) will determine their short term success.

Where it's really going to start helping is attendance which will then lead to better atmosphere for recruits.

How many people you think show up to watch the WR from Florida every week? How many show up their neighbor, friend, teammate etc from within the 275 loop?

I love to see Coach Fickell recruiting hard locally. There are tons of talent within a 100-mile radius. Yes, people will go to see the homegrown boys -- all other things being equal.
When we lost Kerry Combs we lost that Cincy niche in recruiting. Tubby never understood what a key that can be in UC's success.
Let's do keep in mind, though, that winning is the #1 criteria for drawing fans. The other factors are down the list. I'm confident that Luke can win with more of a local flavor than we've had for awhile -- perhaps since Kelly's days.

Some people definitely overestimate recruiting local and its effect on attendance. Winning is by far the biggest factor. Brian Kelly's recruiting classes didn't sellout games.

Agreed, nobody cares where players come from as long as they are winning. It's still fantastic that Fickell has tapped the local pipeline though.

I love to see Coach Fickell recruiting hard locally. There are tons of talent within a 100-mile radius. Yes, people will go to see the homegrown boys -- all other things being equal.
When we lost Kerry Combs we lost that Cincy niche in recruiting. Tubby never understood what a key that can be in UC's success.
Let's do keep in mind, though, that winning is the #1 criteria for drawing fans. The other factors are down the list. I'm confident that Luke can win with more of a local flavor than we've had for awhile -- perhaps since Kelly's days.

You just excluded Burrow^, FYI :laugh:

Enjoy your blue grass hillbillies.

Being reported by numerous people in Columbus and LSU as well. This after LSU was sure he was going to LSU...no announcement on his part yet though

UC is a 15.5 pt underdog to UCLA this Saturday.

Will UC be improved? According to the UCLA schedule experts, this is the one game on their schedule that UCLA is guaranteed to win. Game is on ESPN at 7pm

UCLA is dealing with a fair number of suspensions/injuries for Saturday and it looks like they'll be starting Michigan transfer Wilton Speight at QB who was less than impressive last season before he got hurt in week 4.

If UC had a half-decent team they'd likely be very competitive against this UCLA squad but I don't expect this to be much of a game by the 4th quarter.

UCLA is dealing with a fair number of suspensions/injuries for Saturday and it looks like they'll be starting Michigan transfer Wilton Speight at QB who was less than impressive last season before he got hurt in week 4.

If UC had a half-decent team they'd likely be very competitive against this UCLA squad but I don't expect this to be much of a game by the 4th quarter.

Tough to prepare for Chip Kelly's turbo offense in the preseason, but his Duck teams weren't known for their defense so we'll see what the UC offense can do. Cats keep in close in the 1st half but fall behind by multiple scores in the 2nd.

UCLA looks like they will struggle this year but this would be a nice win for UC on the road.