True 4th

neil patrick harris GIF

I dont think its needed at the Sectional level. It's very unlikely that a true 4th at sectionals is keeping a kid out of state....

I've always thought it would be nice to take top 5 to state with 6th as the alternate. And 5s "wrestle-in" to the bracket so 1 and done if they lose.

This would eliminate any need for a true 4th, and need for someone manipulating the brackets by losing first round on purpose, and it would make those 5th and 6th place matches meaningful.

With the addition of the girls it's not feasible to add another 56 matches per division...

Last edited:
Why does Ohio not do a true 4th round?

Think it would be great and would probably only be anywhere from 3 to 6 matches. Then it would ensure the four best kids are going to the state tournament.

Thoughts?
Not popular, but I say have only three sectionals send 5 at each weight to districts. Sectionals need to be more exciting.
Next have only three districts qualifying 5 each. Let the people who draw the checks decide on the 16th spot.

Top 5 should qualify and the 4 District champions get a first round bye.
the four district champions would not be the only ones to get a first round bye. The structure would be a play-in between a 4 and 5 with that winner feeding into a 1. The 2/3 match would remain in place. I do think four divisions is coming, but it's not based on how the regulations were from the expansion that just got approved for team sports, unless there are more OHSAA defined teams than exist now.

What a great idea! 🤦‍♂️ make sure the whole sectional bracket gets medals as well. Let’s make everyone happy geez

What a great idea! 🤦‍♂️ make sure the whole sectional bracket gets medals as well. Let’s make everyone happy geez

The idea of top 5 going to State with District #1s getting a bye? The 5th place already gets a medal if that’s your main complaint. The reason for this suggestion is there is no seeding and for some luck of the draw is a big part of qualifying. The current situation is some wrestlers and coaches throwing matches or just forfeiting to get better draw for themselves in some situations. Taking top 5 would eliminate this and would create some exciting 5th place matches. For schools like St. Ed’s state qualification is like tying your shoes not a big deal. For other schools, it happens once every few years. It’s a big deal for them and a 5th is still earning it.

Look at the big picture, the outcome at Districts and sectionals would be another great round and always allow for the best representation of each district. Medals for all is football/basketball
having seven divisions

the four district champions would not be the only ones to get a first round bye. The structure would be a play-in between a 4 and 5 with that winner feeding into a 1. The 2/3 match would remain in place. I do think four divisions is coming, but it's not based on how the regulations were from the expansion that just got approved for team sports, unless there are more OHSAA defined teams than exist now.

What makes you think 4 divisions is coming?

Not popular, but I say have only three sectionals send 5 at each weight to districts. Sectionals need to be more exciting.
Next have only three districts qualifying 5 each. Let the people who draw the checks decide on the 16th spot.
I remember some districts sending 5 while some districts sent 3 in the past... my friend qualified for D3 state in 1998 by winning his match for 3rd

State is already a logistical nightmare because it's so big, the Schott couldn't handle 4 divisions plus girs. You'd start seeing separate sites for separate divisions
From what I am hearing there is a good chance State tournament will no longer be at the Schott moving forward.

Ohio State would rather not have the state wrestling tournament. They just don't want any state tournaments on campus. If there was a suitable place to have it (seating, floor space, other logistics) outside of OSU that would actually want to have the event (date availability is part of that too), they probably would have it.

The four divisions piece is an educated guess on my part. The Ohio State part is well sourced.

The reason people are positing a true 4th for district to state is because of the formula bracketing involved where there are right side/wrong scenarios. I don't feel like citing specifics, but there is one super obvious scenario in a D1 district this year that comes to mind -- and lord knows there have been some others over the years.

Not true -- match only happens if they haven't wrestled in the tournament.
BH: you are speaking to the true 4th. The post you quoted was replying an expanded state bracket based on a hypothetical format change (taking top 5 from the district in which 5th place “wrestles in” as a rat tail scenario.

Sort of off topic of why this thread started but anyone else NOT a fan of 1 seeds receiving a bye at any tournament let alone post-season? Everyone knows you have to wrestle a match before your match, so always has to be a first match whether you received a bye or not I guess, but I see a bye as more of a punishment than a "reward", just my humble opinion. I feel like most kids hate byes in general, and the way brackets shake out, they almost have to always be a part of the bracket, just wondering if most people share this same opinion.

Sort of off topic of why this thread started but anyone else NOT a fan of 1 seeds receiving a bye at any tournament let alone post-season? Everyone knows you have to wrestle a match before your match, so always has to be a first match whether you received a bye or not I guess, but I see a bye as more of a punishment than a "reward", just my humble opinion. I feel like most kids hate byes in general, and the way brackets shake out, they almost have to always be a part of the bracket, just wondering if most people share this same opinion.
I was never for byes, however, I can see where it could help in SOME cases (nursing injury). When I wrestled, I didnt like the long wait.

BH: you are speaking to the true 4th. The post you quoted was replying an expanded state bracket based on a hypothetical format change (taking top 5 from the district in which 5th place “wrestles in” as a rat tail scenario.
My fault. I sit humbly corrected. :)