Total Solar Eclipse 2024

So, who lives in the path of totality? Who is traveling to the path of totality? What's going on in your town? Who has seen a Total Solar Eclipse before?

The weather in Ohio seems to be improving every day.
I live in Mahoning County ( just out of totality), but I took April 8th off and will drive to either Northwest Trumbull County or Ashtabula County. About a 30-45 minute drive depending on whether I find a good spot or if traffic starts to get thick. I'm definitely staying off main arteries.
Hoping for little to no clouds.

I'll be traveling approximately 100 yards to an open area next to the lake.
That is if I can get there from the elevenity billion people the media is saying will be here.

Silliness aside, I do hope lots of people show up all weekend so businesses can recoup some of what was lost during the tornadoes

Friends of ours just moved recently to downtown Cleveland (well, Tremont neighborhood), so we’re going down there Sunday night for dinner and staying with them. We have tickets for the Guardians home opener, so we’ll walk over to the ballpark and watch the eclipse from there before the game.

I'm on the path of totality in Huron County...office is closed as is the wife's school...so we'll be out front staring up at the sky. Hoping not not lose cell service or wifi, but our EMA Director believes it's a good possibility. Our town has tons of activities planned over the weekend and Monday to entertain residents and visitors and make a few bucks.

I live in Kettering which is in the path of totality. I just picked up four pair of glasses today from Channel 7, a Dayton TV station, so I trust them. I hope we have good weather conditions, but the forecast is pretty iffy.

I saw the 2017eclipse, made it to the totality path. Spectacular. Was everything I'd ever read about since my childhood interest in astronomy.

Mrs. Z and I may try to drive an hour NW of Columbus and see this one, we're not sure. Be prepared for traffic!

Amazing THINGS in the sky that we've been able to witness in our lifetimes!
A few years ago, the Dayton Daily News had an article on when it was a good day, time and direction to see the International Space Station with the naked eye, so I went outside to look. As I looked in the right direction, at the right time, I saw nothing and was disappointed. I then moved a bit and there it was, screaming across the sky! Pretty cool. I felt that I could actually make out the shape, but that was probably my mind playing tricks on me, since the ISS is over 250 miles up in the sky.

******WARNING******

A week or so back, my wife purchased a 6 box set of eclipse viewing glasses from Amazon. This morning she received an email from them that read "The product was not included in the American Astronomical Society's list of safe suppliers of solar eclipse viewers and filters and therefore may not be safe for viewing a solar eclipse." It goes on to recommend non usage.

The product is identified as Biniki Solar Eclipse Glasses (2024)

SOme teachers are telling the kids that they likely will not be able to leave their houses the day after due to the traffic gridlock.
I guess I just do not understand how every place in the full totatlity is expecting an additional 100K people in their area.

Maybe it is because I am smack dab in it, and I will enjoy it and check it out, but I just wouldnt see myself traveling to be a part of it. Maybe I would feel different if I wasnt on the inside I guess.

Local places charging to park in their lots just seems.....wrong.
Some neat hoodies and shirts people are selling, if I get one it will be after the fact when they are practically giving them away.

******WARNING******

A week or so back, my wife purchased a 6 box set of eclipse viewing glasses from Amazon. This morning she received an email from them that read "The product was not included in the American Astronomical Society's list of safe suppliers of solar eclipse viewers and filters and therefore may not be safe for viewing a solar eclipse." It goes on to recommend non usage.

How much did you pay for them? Local stores are selling them for a buck fiddy, and some places giving them free with any purchase.

SOme teachers are telling the kids that they likely will not be able to leave their houses the day after due to the traffic gridlock.
I guess I just do not understand how every place in the full totatlity is expecting an additional 100K people in their area.

Maybe it is because I am smack dab in it, and I will enjoy it and check it out, but I just wouldnt see myself traveling to be a part of it. Maybe I would feel different if I wasnt on the inside I guess.

Local places charging to park in their lots just seems.....wrong.
Some neat hoodies and shirts people are selling, if I get one it will be after the fact when they are practically giving them away.

How much did you pay for them? Local stores are selling them for a buck fiddy, and some places giving them free with any purchase.
I think the bigger issue is going to be the places that really only have 1 way in or out. I expect traffic to be a mess for a few hours before and after but by the following day most traffic will be back to normal.

Not surprising. Some teachers have very little idea of what they are talking about every day.

We live in the zone. We're driving 40 miles east to our son's house as he lives about 10 miles from the center of the path.

I don't anticipate much inconvenience on the roads. I can take county roads the whole way if I have too.

Last edited:
******WARNING******

This is definitely a concern. The cheap, mostly cardboard glasses would be easy to fake and some scammers just want to make a buck. I posted earlier in this thread that my glasses were sponsored by WHIO Channel 7, Dayton, so I trust them. Fricker's is giving them away for free. You can get up to four at a time.

Also, do not trust them if it says NASA approved or NASA certified. NASA does not do that.

Amazing THINGS in the sky that we've been able to witness in our lifetimes!
Aliens!

I love it when someone says, something like: "Me and my friends saw a strange light in the sky last night. It didn't look like a star or a planet or plane or anything we could identify. We had no idea what it was. It had to be aliens."

Wait a minute. You had no idea what it was, and yet, you knew exactly what it was?

Not surprising. Some teachers have very little idea of what they are talking about every day.

We live in the zone. We're driving 40 miles east to our son's house as he lives about 10 miles from the center of the path.

I don't anticipate much inconvenience on the roads. I can take county roads the whole way if I have too.
No doubt, or flat out lie.
One teacher tells the kids he assassinated the President of Panama and his hat on the desk was what the Prez was wearing, and spews the conspiracy theory that 9/11 was an inside job, we didnt kill UBL, and that Bin Ladin would routinely spend the Holidays with Bush at the family ranch after 9/11.

and these are those 'educating' our yutes.

I asked the kid who told me 'lemme guess, he thinks we faked the moon landing too'.

Teacher told them 'unfortunately, I believe we did land on the moon'.

Unfortunately? WTF.

Oh, and he said he could, today, sneak into Russia and North Korea, collect intel on the govt, and come back without even being detected....

,,,,but I digress. After it is all said and done, I believe I may approach him about the whole Panama lie....

Last edited:
But.......back to the Eclipse!

Wish it in the summer so could watch it from the lake, but weather is too sketchy this time of year!

We live in the zone for totality. We'll just go outside in the backyard to watch. I'm really interested to see what the traffic is like before and after. Is this a real concern or overhyped hysteria?

We live in the zone for totality. We'll just go outside in the backyard to watch. I'm really interested to see what the traffic is like before and after. Is this a real concern or overhyped hysteria?
In most areas, overhyped hysteria.

Some places undeniably will have traffic nightmares, but so many 'stories' and 'reports' I have seen over the past year are hanging onto the nearly 50k- 100k extra people coming to the immediate area. Not every town in this totality is going to see close to that, but that seems to be what many people are hanging onto.

At the end of the day, both camps will be right. Some place wil be inundated, others not so much. I just hope many businesses do not over extend themselves and be caught holding the bag with worthless merchandise after the fact.

As I type this, was just annoucned that right around the corner COSI will be setting up on the beach area so...who knows!!!!!!!!

In most areas, overhyped hysteria.

Some places undeniably will have traffic nightmares, but so many 'stories' and 'reports' I have seen over the past year are hanging onto the nearly 50k- 100k extra people coming to the immediate area. Not every town in this totality is going to see close to that, but that seems to be what many people are hanging onto.

At the end of the day, both camps will be right. Some place wil be inundated, others not so much.
I agree. Some places will be swamped. Multiple reports of 2017 eclipse with extra long travel times, people running out of gas, etc. However some reported that their small town was the equivalent of a concert or sporting event.
I think ( No expert opinion - just spitballing) that small towns in the path, away from major freeways or bigger cities should be fine
I think the major cities and their surrounding areas are toast. Especially a decent size suburb whose got activities planned

I’m smack dab in the middle of it down in Texas, they are apparently putting porta potties on the highway between where I am and San Antonio. We’re being told that we most likely won’t be able to go anywhere it’s so busy. The grocery store was completely wiped out of bread, meat and most of the frozen meals. You’d think the apocalypse was coming.