tOSU vs ILL & WIS

bdhof

I normally do a preview that is aided by projected lineups. I couldn't find any projected lineups so I'll do my own.

tOSU vs ILL
125 Heinselman vs Cardani - they split last year, Cardani winning by SV in the dual and Heinselman winning 4-0 in the B10. I'll go w/ Heinselman again.
133 Decatur vs Byrd - Decatur had a tough True Freshman year in facing a brutal B10 schedule while seemingly cutting too much weight. The B10 is still brutal, but I think he wins this one over a fellow Ohioan from LaSalle.
141 D'Emillio vs #11 Duncan - D'Emillio can prove the win over Echemedia wasn't a fluke, but I'll give Duncan the edge in this one.
149 #2 Sasso vs #9 Carr - Sammy wins this one in a hard-fought battle.
157 Cleary vs Mologoluis - Neither are ranked, but I'll give this to Cleary.
165 Smith vs #12 Braunagel - Smith beat him last year in the dual 3-1 and is unranked b/c Kharch was in that spot. A win here gets him in the rankings next week.
174 #3 Romero vs Shannon - Romero won 4-2 last year in November (CK?) but I think he improves on that this time.
184 #11 Jordan vs #16 Braunagel - Another close win (6-4) last year for Rocky. I think he wins again.
197 Hoffman vs Wroblewski - Again, neither are ranked, and again, Hoffman can prove his win over #14 Singeltary wasn't a fluke. I'll go w/ the Buckeye.
285 #7 Orndorff vs Luffman - Perhaps a MD for the new Buckeye.

While I picked every match for tOSU, a few wins by ILL wouldn't be surprising since many of these matches should be close based on past results.

Last edited:

tOSU vs WIS
125 Heinselman vs Barnett - Barnett won the dual last year 8-6 but I think a bigger (I hope) and stronger (I hope), and wiser (I hope) Heinselman gets off to a 2-0 start on the year with a win here.
133 Decatur vs Burwick - Like 125, neither are ranked, and like ILL, I think Decatur gets a win here to start the year 2-0.
141 Echemedia vs Escobar - Again, no one is ranked here. I'm splitting time at this weight, giving Echemedia the 2nd match (not really sure which match goes first, ILL or WIS). And the Cuban sensation doesn't disappoint w/ his first win as a Buckeye.
149 #2 Sasso vs Stilling - Sammy destroys Stilling.
157 Cleary vs Model - Neither are ranked, but Modol did win by MD last year, so I'll give him a win, but by a much closer margin.
165 Smith vs Otto - Smith wins this battle of unranks, and by a large margin.
174 #3 Romero vs Krattiger - Romero destroys Krattiger.
184 #11 Jordan vs #12 Weiler - Rock is out to prove he belongs in the Discussion of the other tOSU Jordans with a hard fought win and a 2-0 start to the season.
197 #14 Singletary vs Christensen - As w/ 141, I gave the wrestle-off loser a match in the tri-meet and Singletary doesn't disappoint w/ a win here.
285 #7 Orndorff vs #5 Hillger - Hillger beat Orndorff 2x last year, by a fall and a SV. I see this match as another SV type match, but w/ the same result, a win for Hillger.

Last edited:
I normally do a preview that is aided by projected lineups. I couldn't find any projected lineups so I'll do my own.

tOSU vs ILL
125 Heinselman vs Cardani - they split last year, Cardani winning by SV in the dual and Heinselman winning 4-0 in the B10. I'll go w/ Heinselman again.
133 Decatur vs Byrd - Decatur had a tough True Freshman year in facing a brutal B10 schedule while seemingly cutting too much weight. The B10 is still brutal, but I think he wins this one over a fellow Ohioan from LaSalle.
141 D'Emillio vs #11 Duncan - D'Emillio can prove the win over Echemedia wasn't a fluke, but I'll give Duncan the edge in this one.
149 #2 Sasso vs #9 Carr - Sammy wins this one in a hard-fought battle.
157 Cleary vs Mologoluis - Neither are ranked, but I'll give this to Cleary.
165 Smith vs #12 Braunagel - Smith beat him last year in the dual 3-1 and is unranked b/c Kharch was in that spot. A win here gets him in the rankings next week.
174 #3 Romero vs Shannon - Romero won 4-2 last year in November (CK?) but I think he improves on that this time.
184 #11 Jordan vs #16 Braunagel - Another close win (6-4) last year for Rocky. I think he wins again.
197 Hoffman vs Wroblewski - Again, neither are ranked, and again, Hoffman can prove his win over #14 Singeltary wasn't a fluke. I'll go w/ the Buckeye.
285 #7 Orndorff vs Luffman - Perhaps a MD for the new Buckeye.

While I picked every match for tOSU, a few wins by ILL wouldn't be surprising since many of these matches should be close based on past results.
I found a projected lineup on the ILL site. It was the same as above w/ the exception of 174 where they had Shannon or Sizemore (from LaSalle maybe?), both unranked.

tOSU vs WIS
125 Heinselman vs Barnett - Barnett won the dual last year 8-6 but I think a bigger (I hope) and stronger (I hope), and wiser (I hope) Heinselman gets off to a 2-0 start on the year with a win here.
133 Decatur vs Burwick - Like 125, neither are ranked, and like ILL, I think Decatur gets a win here to start the year 2-0.
141 Echemedia vs Escobar - Again, no one is ranked here. I'm splitting time at this weight, giving Echemedia the 2nd match (not really sure which match goes first, ILL or WIS). And the Cuban sensation doesn't disappoint w/ his first win as a Buckeye.
149 #2 Sasso vs Stilling - Sammy destroys Stilling.
157 Cleary vs Model - Neither are ranked, but Modol did win by MD last year, so I'll give him a win, but by a much closer margin.
165 Smith vs Otto - Smith wins this battle of unranks, and by a large margin.
174 #3 Romero vs Krattiger - Romero destroys Krattiger.
184 #11 Jordan vs #12 Weiler - Rock is out to prove he belongs in the Discussion of the other tOSU Jordans with a hard fought win and a 2-0 start to the season.
197 #14 Singletary vs Christensen - As w/ 141, I gave the wrestle-off loser a match in the tri-meet and Singletary doesn't disappoint w/ a win here.
285 #7 Orndorff vs #5 Hillger - Hillger beat Orndorff 2x last year, by a fall and a SV. I see this match as another SV type match, but w/ the same result, a win for Hillger.
And I found a projected lineup on the WIS site. They had a slew of either/or, the only notable one was 285 #5 Hillger or UR Christensen. And as ILL did, they kept D'Emillio and Hoffman in both matches.

Demilio won the wrestle off which I watched ....thanks very much to the link supplied in Yappi . So IMO, he won the right to wrestle both matches, I hope he does.
Most often, the kids that wins in the daily grind of practices wins the wrestle offs. It is decided in the room. One thing I see, Demilio, is psyched and dedicated and hungry.
Demilio is better than a lot of people know. I also think he is a vision quest kind of a kid. I would not be surprised one bit to see him AA this year and win a national title one day. It’s not always about raw talent; to the contrary, it’s about all the other things. “Chosen suffering” from what I can tell, Demilio knows about. Go Bucks!

Demilio won the wrestle off which I watched ....thanks very much to the link supplied in Yappi . So IMO, he won the right to wrestle both matches, I hope he does.
Most often, the kids that wins in the daily grind of practices wins the wrestle offs. It is decided in the room. One thing I see, Demilio, is psyched and dedicated and hungry.
Demilio is better than a lot of people know. I also think he is a vision quest kind of a kid. I would not be surprised one bit to see him AA this year and win a national title one day. It’s not always about raw talent; to the contrary, it’s about all the other things. “Chosen suffering” from what I can tell, Demilio knows about. Go Bucks!
I agree he won the right. With no opens tho, guys like Echemedia and Singletary may never see the mat. And, as much as we may like to believe otherwise, wrestle-offs don't determine the lineups - coaches do. We all remember last year when Romero lost to Rocky in the wrestle-off and then outperformed him in early season opens and was given the 174 spot. Rocky eventually moved up to 184. And Traub beat Singletary in the wrestle-off but didn't get on the mat until Singletary was injured.

bdhof...“Not see mat”. That’s not entirely accurate ...normally there are open tournaments to wrestle unaffiliated; and summer etc.
this year is weird though. Yes coaches do make changes... maybe the lead guy does not perform under the lights and there are other reasons like style differences and familiarity of your competition in the room. Still the main criteria, 90% of time, ... who is winning the wrestleoffs? Who is winning in the room?.
But if we loose value of the wrestle off, man I lose my faith in our great sport.

bdhof...“Not see mat”. That’s not entirely accurate ...normally there are open tournaments to wrestle unaffiliated; and summer etc.
this year is weird though. Yes coaches do make changes... maybe the lead guy does not perform under the lights and there are other reasons like style differences and familiarity of your competition in the room. Still the main criteria, 90% of time, ... who is winning the wrestleoffs? Who is winning in the room?.
But if we loose value of the wrestle off, man I lose my faith in our great sport.
Who is winning in the room may be different than who wins a wrestle-off. At times due to familiarity wrestlers have close wrestle-offs and occasional upsets when one wrestler is clearly better than the other. I believe that was the case last year with Romero and Rocky. And, based on performance Traub, who won the wrestle-off may have been the better choice at 285, even though Singletary was given the spot. I’m certainly not dismissing D’Emillio as potentially an AA type of guy. I hope he has a great season and gets on the podium. It’s just not that unusual in any year for Ryan to throw 2 guys out there in a tri match.

Is there anyway to watch this? I didn't look to see if it is televised on B10 network.

Edit- Just checked and not on BTN Also not on ESPN3 or ESPN+

Last edited:
I believe you're giving wrestle offs way more value than coaches do. They know who the best wrestlers are and what's best for the team than any wrestle off will show them. High school is different and most wrestle offs count.
OSU's and I believe most DI wrestle offs are for us the fans way more than they were/are to pick a team.

so, I must not be up-to-date on OSU wrestling news. Did Karchla not make the starting line-up over Smith?. Also sounds like Enchemedia made the cut down to 141, but stated above he lost the wrestle off to D'Emillio. Will be interesting to see how D'Emillio does at 141. He is moving up, but has plenty of frame to add the weight. He's had time to grow into that weight and hopefully has gained strength to match the higher weight. I'm expecting him to do well, but it's the Big10. Stay healthy.

Ohio State wrestling's twitter account has this probable lineup:
125 Heinselman
133 Jordan Decatur
141 D'Emilio
149 Sasso
157 Cleary
165 Smith
174 Romero
184 Jordan
197 Hoffman
HVY Orndorff

Wrestle off are for the kids fighting for a spot first and foremost. Gotta give the kids that shot. Unless times have changed be cause I am 54 years old. The 5 years I wrestled D1 ; 2 different D1 schools ... wrestle offs were very important in determining the line up . Some of my friends at Big 10’s and EWL’s also were wrestling off those days. Curious who on this thread ... in addition to the OSU ...has had to wrestle off for a staring spot? I would love to hear your take on this
Ty

I would love to hear your take on this
Ty

I hear ya Standup and I'm also mid fifties. While I don't disagree, I just don't believe there is as much 'weight' given to wrestle offs as there used to be.
With that said, if I knew anything I'd be rich...

A wrestle-off story from back in the good ole days (the early 70s)...
I was wrestling at a DI MAC school and we had weekly wrestle-offs. One of my teammates was a former state champ and 2x runnerup back when freshmen couldn't wrestle varsity. Over his career, he won a MAC title and 3 other high places (I think 2x runnerup and a 3rd). So, he was pretty good. He was suckling a lot of weight and ended up losing a close wrestle-off to a fairly non-accomplished wrestler in the middle of the season. Our wrestle-offs weren't grand media events like tOSU does at the beginning of each year - no refs, and multiple matches going on at the same time with a "common whistle" for all matches. The guy, I'll call him Jeff (can't remember his name), went up to our coach and said, "Coach, I just beat Greg (not his real name)! It was 4-3!" Coach said, "That's good." Jeff asked, "Do I get to wrestle this week?" Coach responded, "Jeff, I don't care if you beat Greg 20-0, you're not wrestling for him."

Now, there are many stories about this coach that would horrify many followers of our sport. And as a HS coach of 13 years, this is one of many examples of my college coach that I never followed. This was just one of them. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, wrestle-offs don't determine the lineup, coaches determine the lineup.

Abjectly terrible so far from Ohio State. The highly thought of Buckeye upper-weight group goes 1-4 against the Illini, three of the defeated wrestlers got zero takedowns. Illini also went 4-1 down low in their match against Wisconsin.

Ohio State has a 5.3 BILLION dollar endowment, and the only way we can watch this is by paying to watch it on BTN+ ??

Sounds like I'm not missing much - seems to be a very uninspired performance thus far.

Heinselman beats Cardani 9-2
Decatur loses 2-0 to Byrd, Byrd escape in the second and rode Decatur out in the third.
OSU has lost 5/7 to Illinois, four of the losses w/o takedown.

In the Wisconsin dual, Ethan Smith and Kaleb Romero have won their bouts by decision.

Heinselman beats Cardani 9-2
Decatur loses 2-0 to Byrd, Byrd escape in the second and rode Decatur out in the third.
OSU has lost 5/7 to Illinois, four of the losses w/o takedown.

In the Wisconsin dual, Ethan Smith and Kaleb Romero have won their bouts by decision.
That's a big win for Heinselman. He may be ready to make a statement this year. He's still a bubble guy right now (~12 or so in rankings), but I'll take it over the last two years. And he may keep climbing the charts. After Lee, I don't see any 125s who are unbeatable.

Er9KJGGVQAAA1jX

Disappointing (to say the least) in 133, 165, 184, 197 & 285. And I was hoping D'Emillio would have looked more like what many expected out of Echemedia.

D'Emilio blew 4-2, 5-4, and 7-6 leads in that dual to lose on a six-point move by a true freshman.
In four of six losses (Decatur, Jordan, Hoffman, and Orndorff), zero takedowns were scored by the Ohio State wrestler.
Smith blew a late lead in his loss as well.
Bad loss to a lower ranked Illini squad.