Top recruit daring OHSAA to suspend him

This is simply untrue. What about the athletes who get D1 offers before playing a varsity game? When these 9th graders are getting D1 offers especially in baseball, it's not coming of of varsity baseball videos lol.

I have a friend who is a varsity baseball coach who coached a kid (who eventually transferred HSs) who was verbally committed before his freshman varisty season and I know for a fact 110% travel baseball had more influence in regards to the parents, the player, and the colleges than the varsity coach/program. Just my experience last 5 years or so.

Maybe it's different where you live I don't know but a lot of these kids get offers from camps, showcases and AAU where I live in NEO.
If someone is getting an offer at 14...Must be amazing at sport because baseball splits schollies usually.

You mean found like the numerous players that had to walk on or play D2 because they didn’t look a certain way or run a 4.4 and then earned their way to a scholarship or even spot on an NFL team only after slumming it or paying their own way?
There are 1696 NFL players per year. From what I could find, 47 are D2 players and 6 are D3 players. I'm willing to bet that zero of 47 D2 players received no athletic scholarship money, but let's just say none of them did. That would be 53 players out of 1696 "paid their own way." That's 3% of active NFL players. That's negligible when talking about statistics.

Again, if you are good enough, they will find you. That's how those 6 D3 guys made it to the NFL. They were good enough. It wasn't because of where they played or the level of competition.

There are 1696 NFL players per year. From what I could find, 47 are D2 players and 6 are D3 players. I'm willing to bet that zero of 47 D2 players received no athletic scholarship money, but let's just say none of them did. That would be 53 players out of 1696 "paid their own way." That's 3% of active NFL players. That's negligible when talking about statistics.

Again, if you are good enough, they will find you. That's how those 6 D3 guys made it to the NFL. They were good enough. It wasn't because of where they played or the level of competition.
An NFL quality player even if they aren’t NFL quality at high school graduation, in a perfect world should not be playing D3, D2, or walking on at D1. I have to think given better exposure some of them would’ve received scholarship money at a higher level. Your numbers also dont address walk ons. How many former walk ons star on their D1 teams and/or make the NFL. Any chance for exposure increases the chances they don’t sneak thru the cracks or have to play D3 or pay their own tuition

I’ll say for one thing in SEO it helps playing club/AAU/ what have you. We always get the knock of not having stiff enough competition within the region. Some players that come to mind that have went D1 in numerous sports were involved in some sort of travel circuit and or went to camps

I’ll say for one thing in SEO it helps playing club/AAU/ what have you. We always get the knock of not having stiff enough competition within the region. Some players that come to mind that have went D1 in numerous sports were involved in some sort of travel circuit and or went to camps
Its important everywhere my man I have no idea how anyone could conclude otherwise lol

If someone is getting an offer at 14...Must be amazing at sport because baseball splits schollies usually.
I wouldn't say amazing. Not MLB draft amazing but a D1 talent. I have no idea if the scholarship is full, not his parent or coach. He your exit velocity or pitching velocity is high enough and you play travel baseball you definitely do not need varsity baseball to get a D1 baseball offer in NEO or Central Ohio. I am positive.

I think Chris Henry Jr. may have had D1 football offers before he played a varsity game. I don't think some of the top 50/ top 100 basketball players in Ohio types like Marcus Johnson, Daryn Peterson, TJ Crumble got their D1 offers based on HS varsity basketball play but I could be wrong. Especially Peterson, I feel like he had D1 offers before playing varsity.

These are the freaks of nature who would get recruited regardless if they played travel ball. You are proving my point and you don't even realize it.
This kid isn't a freak of nature. He is obviously athletic but he is not getting drafted by MLB. He would eventually get recruited but he would not have gotten scholarship offers before playing varsity with travel baseball. I know this because I know his varsity coach not his travel coach. The kid actually performs better in the summer than the spring on varsity. Ad far as I know no MLB teams have been to his HS games yet.

The kid transferred high schools program because of recruiting lol so I have no idea how I proved your point whatsoever but you do you.

This kid isn't a freak of nature. He is obviously athletic but he is not getting drafted by MLB. He would eventually get recruited but he would not have gotten scholarship offers before playing varsity with travel baseball. I know this because I know his varsity coach not his travel coach. The kid actually performs better in the summer than the spring on varsity. Ad far as I know no MLB teams have been to his HS games yet.

The kid transferred high schools program because of recruiting lol so I have no idea how I proved your point whatsoever but you do you.
True. Also this kinda going off what Burreaux said but the kid at Ottawa Glandorf going to OSU for basketball would not be going there without playing AAU. Hed be goin somewhere because hes a walking bucket but there would be other options for OSU that would have more experience playing against their peers in the circuit. For instance his future backcourt mate was on ESPN showing off last night for a basketball academy against other future D1 players. All due respect to Lima Central Catholic but thats not who coaches are trying to see future recruits play against

If McNutt keeps poking the bear that is the OHSAA, he just might find schools like Ohio State might pull their scholarships offers. Yeah, right! 😂

True. Also this kinda going off what Burreaux said but the kid at Ottawa Glandorf going to OSU for basketball would not be going there without playing AAU. Hed be goin somewhere because hes a walking bucket but there would be other options for OSU that would have more experience playing against their peers in the circuit. For instance his future backcourt mate was on ESPN showing off last night for a basketball academy against other future D1 players. All due respect to Lima Central Catholic but thats not who coaches are trying to see future recruits play against
If I recall, Aaron Craft from OSU got recruited on the strength of his AAU play with All Ohio Red in the summer. ..it wasn't because of his play at Liberty-Benton in state,..it was the All Ohio Red influence on Thad Matta. OSU and Matta knew who Craft was but he earned the offer at because of AAU summer play not D3 Ohio district competition lol.

Was Aaron Craft a "freak" who would have had a OSU offer anyways? No. He was a D1 athlete who was looking at mid majors etc and mid programs and earned a better offer through summer play.

BTW as I remind people on here that AOR coach who actually was praised in AAU circles for his X and Os and focus on defense which supposedly is hard to find in AAU is AD and at Richmond Hts these days.

If I recall, Aaron Craft from OSU got recruited on the strength of his AAU play with All Ohio Red in the summer. ..it wasn't because of his play at Liberty-Benton in state,..it was the All Ohio Red influence on Thad Matta. OSU and Matta knew who Craft was but he earned the offer at because of AAU summer play not D3 Ohio district competition lol.

Was Aaron Craft a "freak" who would have had a OSU offer anyways? No. He was a D1 athlete who was looking at mid majors etc and mid programs and earned a better offer through summer play.

BTW as I remind people on here that AOR coach who actually was praised in AAU circles for his X and Os and focus on defense which supposedly is hard to find in AAU is AD and at Richmond Hts these days.
I thought Bruce Pearl at Tennessee was hot after Craft and got in trouble with the NCAA over it?

Naming a few exceptions does not justify AAU ball. Only fringe d-1 players may benefit from it. So let’s force 97 per cent to play it and pay for it to help 3 per cent if it’s that high no way

My man. You know something lol

People abuse offseason competition but that doesn't mean the vast majority don't get what they want out of it. Some need to prove they can play against better competition, some need exposure, some just want a few more at bats before giving up athletics for good. It's on the adults that abuse the sport by trying to live vicariously through 17 year olds. Something I personally would never do in the offseason.

Lots of generalizations on this thread. Every kid playing club isn’t looking to for an athletic scholarship and every kid isn’t identified as a prospect through the same means. The reasons and motivations for playing club are the choice of the parent and player.
My kids enjoyed their club playing experience just as much as playing for their school. They had many quality coaches and teammates, same can be said about high school. It was never about getting to the next level and there in lies the bigger problem. Many parents aren’t well educated on the subject as many never experienced it as athletes. Parents will tell you a D3 found more money because of their kids elite ability. They found money because a few kids opted out of attending and now there’s a smidge more. The federal government (FAFSA) and your kids academic prowess determine their D3 package.
While I think camps, AAU and club sports have become the primary ways of identifying athletes, it’s hardly the only one. Many of the video services (Hudl and other recruiting services) show who is viewing their sites and it’s often college coaches. Some even have a portal for coaches and players to see evals of players. A local high school had dozens of P5 colleges view game film to evaluate an elite prospect. Those views lead to live looks for others.
In regards to Collin White, I’ve seen him play live a few times and his athleticism and ability stand out even against average high schoolers. We will never know what Holtman’s plan for White was at OSU, but I’d be willing to bet it was similar to that of Etzler, Hardman and Parks. A school like OSU can afford to bring those kids in and develop them unlike a MAC school. I will be curious to see if the next coach takes the same approach.

Last edited:
I thought Bruce Pearl at Tennessee was hot after Craft and got in trouble with the NCAA over it?
He was committed to Tennessee until Bruce Pearl got caught lying to the NCAA about throwing a recruiting house party.
You could call Craft a freak. He was a multiple All-Ohio quarterback who put up video game numbers and won Player of the Year in his junior season. He was a four-year starter in basketball Avg nearly 30, 8 and 8, earning multiple All-Ohio honors and Player of the Year. I believe he had a 100-4 record as a starter. He gave up football his senior year because he was a four-star basketball recruit. However, playing alongside Sullinger during the summers undoubtedly raised his stock.

You said how about the kids that get offers before high school.

I said those are freaks of nature who were getting recruited regardless...... you're example proves that. If that kid played zero club, I promise you he'd be getting offers.

And if the kid performs better in summer club ball, maybe that competition isn't as good as you and everyone else thinks.....hence proving my point.

I would venture a guess that those D2/D3 guys you mention performed well enough to get them a combine invite. Their performance at the combine is what got them drafted. I recall a Donteea Dye from Heidelberg a few years ago had a great season got invited to the combine didn't get drafted ended up signing as an undrafted rookie. His performance in the combine got him a contract more than his game film.

I would venture a guess that those D2/D3 guys you mention performed well enough to get them a combine invite. Their performance at the combine is what got them drafted. I recall a Donteea Dye from Heidelberg a few years ago had a great season got invited to the combine didn't get drafted ended up signing as an undrafted rookie. His performance in the combine got him a contract more than his game film.
Agreed. But it was the film and stats that got them invited to the combine.

Agreed. But it was the film and stats that got them invited to the combine.
That combine is their AAU circuit. They have film, but had to prove they could compete with the big guys. Same with kids on the top teams in AAU. How they compete against other top guys goes a lot further than your average league game. Take that Shrout kid at Preble Shawnee for example. What looks better 45 against Tri County North or 20 against a top AAU program?

I'm seriously 100% with you. Almost every kid in HS basketball wastes their whole summer playing AAU and it doesn't get them recruited, and arguably doesn't even make them better at the game. All it does is develop bad habits and make them more prone to injury
This is false lol

Very few kids "get discovered" on any of these circuits. With how quickly technology has evolved over the past decade, kids that can play at the next level do. There aren't kids getting past up like they used to.

And to say it works out fine for most kids is disingenuous. Most kids would mean over 50% of them. Playing in more games in a singular sport leads to burnout, higher injury rates, sacrificing other interests, and a steep financial commitment on behalf of the parents. I really think the AAU and other similar circuits do more harm than good, for well over 90% of participants.
False, most kids are getting offers and recruited at all levels from their AAU organizations. So I would go out on a limb and say that more than 50% of the kids playing College ball D1,D2,D3 Juco NAIA all got there recruitment from who they played AAU with

This is the backwards thinking of 30 years ago that keeps travel ball still alive.

YOU DO NOT NEED TRAVEL BALL TO GET A SCHOLARSHIP.

NCAA D1 is full of basketball players that were entirely too poor to play AAU. You don't see it as much in baseball or softball because the poorest kids aren't playing those sports.

But to still think in 2024 that you need to play travel ball to get noticed is just flat out not true.
Again another false statement I dare you to find 1 D1 player that did not play travel ball. They kids that are "too poor" to play AAU are still on these teams because the coaches know the potential that they possess. I know high level D1 guys that played on EYBL and Adidas gauntlet and Under armor circuit that paid no money to be on the teams and hotel and travel was accommodated through the program

Again another false statement I dare you to find 1 D1 player that did not play travel ball. They kids that are "too poor" to play AAU are still on these teams because the coaches know the potential that they possess. I know high level D1 guys that played on EYBL and Adidas gauntlet and Under armor circuit that paid no money to be on the teams and hotel and travel was accommodated through the program
Which points out the essential scam of these systems (AAU, travel ball, etc.). It's all about pimping out the few elite players, while scamming a bunch of other hopefuls into funding the program under the false pretense that they're going to get the brass ring. Example: You need 9 kids on the field for a baseball team. Who's funding it? The star shortstop and the hot-shot pitcher -- or the kids in right field and on the bench?

Which points out the essential scam of these systems (AAU, travel ball, etc.). It's all about pimping out the few elite players, while scamming a bunch of other hopefuls into funding the program under the false pretense that they're going to get the brass ring. Example: You need 9 kids on the field for a baseball team. Who's funding it? The star shortstop and the hot-shot pitcher -- or the kids in right field and on the bench?
The shoe companies control the AAU circuits for basketball they can dictate who they want on certain teams, you get organizations who get a pass to be on the circuits because of who they have in their programs its a business and it gave the power to these AAU organizations and not the high school staff. You don't have these top level coaches going to the high schools and visiting like they used to and AAU shoe circuit organizations are the reason

Post of the year, upper middle class parents who are chasing a ghost.

This has become a thing in football with regional combines run by a third parties. A private company came to our area had a regional combine to get local players "exposure" charged the kids $50 a pop, they had a couple 4 and 5 star kids from the area that got to participate for free and were used as free advertising on social media. I think there might of been 2 or 3 local small college coaches (maybe).

So these kids are essentially receiving financial compensation for playing the sport? This would make them ineligible for high school sports. How is this any different from a kid receiving free merchandise from a company by wearing their product or something similar.

BINGO....we have a winner. So the stars who are d-1 players get subsidized by the D-3 or NAIA kid who got nothing from the college he would not have gotten if he was just a regular student. WASTE OF MONEY.

So these kids are essentially receiving financial compensation for playing the sport? This would make them ineligible for high school sports. How is this any different from a kid receiving free merchandise from a company by wearing their product or something similar.
No financial compensation all they get is the exposure from being on the circuits no different than a kid going to OTE right now and opting not to get paid to keep their college eligibility. They are receiving free merchandise and products for their AAU organizations not the company themselves which the uniform and shoes are a requirement to be apart of the team.