Top recruit daring OHSAA to suspend him

Yes it literally is. Travel ball is a huge part of recruiting now in multiple sports. Camping in football is also very important. Kent State is not going to offer a basketball player who just plays 22-25 high school games a year. The more exposure the better, thats an inarguable fact.

Also with the portal and the covid year its actually never been harder to get a scholarship out of high school so good luck to all the kids waiting by their phones because they have the talent and someone will just find them
This is the backwards thinking of 30 years ago that keeps travel ball still alive.

YOU DO NOT NEED TRAVEL BALL TO GET A SCHOLARSHIP.

NCAA D1 is full of basketball players that were entirely too poor to play AAU. You don't see it as much in baseball or softball because the poorest kids aren't playing those sports.

But to still think in 2024 that you need to play travel ball to get noticed is just flat out not true.

I think we should really look at youth sports like the rest of the world, the idea of tying in sports to an educational institution is kind of backwards and dumb. If a kid shows aptitude early and enjoys a sport he/she should be given the opportunity to excel through a sports specific Academy without any limitations and not some system that has well compensated admin set arbitrary rules.

I'm seriously 100% with you. Almost every kid in HS basketball wastes their whole summer playing AAU and it doesn't get them recruited, and arguably doesn't even make them better at the game. All it does is develop bad habits and make them more prone to injury
This has a trickle down effect, finding competitive rec leagues for anything is becoming impossible, my boys are freaking 9, i shouldnt have to travel 2 hours to find a decent basketball game. But we found something that's local, competitive and its working out. But there is no need for this, kids should be well rounded be engaged in several hobbies and sports.

Last edited:
I think we should really look at youth sports like the rest of the world, the idea of tying in sports to an educational institution is kind of backwards and dumb. If a kid shows aptitude early and enjoys a sport he/she should be given the opportunity to excel through a sports specific Academy without any limitations and not some system that has well compensated admin set arbitrary rules.
Have you ever watched a little league game or atom (I've dated myself) where a kid is an absolute beast and by the time they are 15 they don't even play, happens more often than not. Kids develop mentally and physically at different times, I prefer casting a very wide net with rec ball and high school ball where we are teaching all sorts of stuff. Sports can just be a hobby where we don't spend a mortgage payment or have to rearrange our entire lives to participate.

This is the backwards thinking of 30 years ago that keeps travel ball still alive.

NCAA D1 is full of basketball players that were entirely too poor to play AAU. You don't see it as much in baseball or softball because the poorest kids aren't playing those sports.

But to still think in 2024 that you need to play travel ball to get noticed is just flat out not true.
AAU basketball is more popular and tied in to recruiting than it has ever been what are you talking about?! Also D1 is full of players that played AAU. You are out of touch. For starters the poor and talented kids are having their expenses paid for by all kinds of different characters. The top teams literally have sponsors. You would be giving terrible advice to any kid looking to go next level but you got it man.

Have you ever watched a little league game or atom (I've dated myself) where a kid is an absolute beast and by the time they are 15 they don't even play, happens more often than not. Kids develop mentally and physically at different times, I prefer casting a very wide net with rec ball and high school ball where we are teaching all sorts of stuff. Sports can just be a hobby where we don't spend a mortgage payment or have to rearrange our entire lives to participate.
Not to be mean about it but they get tossed by aside by the staff and because they are an Academy and not and educational institution that is a much easier thing to do.

One problem there is that participation would greatly diminish. There are still lots of kids who play with their friends just to be involved. If you turn youth sports into a development program, scads of kids and families will disengage.

Not to be mean about it but they get tossed by aside by the staff and because they are an Academy and not and educational institution that is a much easier thing to do.
The US has the greatest overall athletic prowess of any country in the world in terms of all sports and I would argue a lot of that comes from the structure of how sports is intertwined with school systems. It allows for a lot of kids to be interested or stay interest in sports that maybe wouldn't have or couldn't due to funds.

I understand you can say look at soccer in other countries, but that is largely because the culture of soccer is so much greater there. Even with that US soccer is still decent globally compared to the rest of the world, maybe not the upper most tier but right below that.

There is a lot of people in the US population yes, but school systems including the younger ages have done a fantastic job throughout times of giving many kids a lot of opportunities that they otherwise wouldn't have.

I see both sides of the argument. I will say in the district I live in and the D1 HS conference (OCC) in Central Ohio, the vast majority of the kids in Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, LAX all are playing travel ball and the majority of the HS school teams rosters are made up of almost entirely of those kids that play travel. Whether it is good or bad I can not answer, it is just the reality of the situation today.

Camping in football is also very important. Kent State is not going to offer a basketball player who just plays 22-25 high school games a year. The more exposure the better, thats an inarguable fact.
For the record, I would much rather have kids wanting a basketball scholarship to go to college-run camps like they do for football than waste their summers on the AAU circuit.

I will give all you parents some real hard straight talk. If your son is a Junior and not a all state performer and being contacted, he/she is not getting a scholarship no matter if you play in 10000 AAU games or travel ball or club volleyball.

Those sports also have much smaller rosters. You're not going to have a roster of 80 kids on a travel ball football team.

I will give all you parents some real hard straight talk. If your son is a Junior and not a all state performer and being contacted, he/she is not getting a scholarship no matter if you play in 10000 AAU games or travel ball or club volleyball.
Agree 100% with the bolded part, outside of football the vast majority of those kids in your bolded comment that are all state and being contacted are also participating in AAU or Travel.

Agree 100% with the bolded part, outside of football the vast majority of those kids in your bolded comment that are all state and being contacted are also participating in AAU or Travel.
The point is that a player who is a d-1 talent can be spotted by a coach/scout by watching film in about 2 minutes. They stand out or they are not really a d-1 player. Scouts see them on High school game film....NOT AAU games. Do they pop in to see their d-1 players play some AAU games...maybe. But they don't decide who they want by watching rec league style ball hog summer games. ITS A SCAM. The Yankees are not giving you a scholarship for winning a fall ball game travel game. If you are playing JV ball as a Junior , you are not getting a d-1 scholarship or going have the Yankees sign you to a million dollar contract parents. Clueless. people on here.

The point is that a player who is a d-1 talent can be spotted by a coach/scout by watching film in about 2 minutes. They stand out or they are not really a d-1 player. Scouts see them on High school game film....NOT AAU games. Do they pop in to see their d-1 players play some AAU games...maybe. But they don't decide who they want by watching rec league style ball hog summer games. ITS A SCAM. The Yankees are not giving you a scholarship for winning a fall ball game travel game. If you are playing JV ball as a Junior , you are not getting a d-1 scholarship or going have the Yankees sign you to a million dollar contract parents. Clueless. people on here.
Agree- but the point is outside of HS season these kids are getting 100,s of at bats to prep for the season. The scholarship players are playing for the Bo Jackson Elite, The Cincy Flames etc. Guarantee either of those or similar teams beat the D1 State championship HS baseball team. That is todays reality. No coaches are not following travel and AAU, but travel and AAU are prepping these kids for their HS teams and future success and often with more reps then they get in a HS season/. That is the reality of the day.

Agree- but the point is outside of HS season these kids are getting 100,s of at bats to prep for the season. The scholarship players are playing for the Bo Jackson Elite, The Cincy Flames etc. Guarantee either of those or similar teams beat the D1 State championship HS baseball team. That is todays reality. No coaches are not following travel and AAU, but travel and AAU are prepping these kids for their HS teams and future success and often with more reps then they get in a HS season/. That is the reality of the day.
Then AAU and travel ball and club sports should be sold for what they really are. A way to get reps in the off season but not really going to affect if you get a scholarship or signed by a mlb team. You might get a little better with extra reps but either you have D-1 talent or not. These off season league are irrelevant as to who is getting a college d-1 scholarship.

Going to college camps is a much better way of getting recognized and recruiting camps then doing a off season 7 on 7 league for football. No need for it. Would it be nice for qbs and wrs and dbs to get extra reps, sure but seeing how AAU teams turn into recruiting tools by cheaters. I will take a pass. Let the current sports fleece the parent of average kids who have zero shot of getting a d-1 scholarship.

Then AAU and travel ball and club sports should be sold for what they really are. A way to get reps in the off season but not really going to affect if you get a scholarship or signed by a mlb team. You might get a little better with extra reps but either you have D-1 talent or not. These off season league are irrelevant as to who is getting a college d-1 scholarship.
Funny thing about D-1 baseball is there is only 11.5 (something close to this) scholarships for 25 kids, there is no money in d-1 baseball, d1 juco is another story. Essentially a lot of these parents are paying thousands and thousands of dollars to be d3 baseball players where they pay 30k a year for tuition. A smarter long term investment for parents would be teaching their child some type of trade or skill that they can use long term and just play that sport as a hobby and in the local rec league. In football and basketball if a kid is basically under 6 foot, you are essentially wasting your money playing club sports if the goal is to become d-1 unless that child possesses freakish speed or quickness.

Last edited:
I couldn't disagree with this more. My daughter played travel softball from age 11 through senior year of high school. The coaches she had in travel ball were far better than any coach she had in school ball. I would say 90%+ of her development happened in travel ball. Every kid on her team received some amount of scholarship money to a DI, DII or NAIA school. Obviously it varied by position with the limited number of scholarships schools have, but they all got something. Yes it was expensive and time consuming, but it's what she wanted to do and I don't every remember her complaining about the time commitment. Maybe you were only referring to travel basketball teams, but it not fair to characterize all travel teams as scams. There are plenty of bad actors in the AAU/travel ball world, but there are also plenty of great coaches with the best intentions trying to help young athletes get to the next level.
Daughter currently plays travel softball and very similar situation.

As long as travel ball, club teams, and AAU exist, you will need it to get recruited. It's much easier for college coaches to do their recruiting at the travel tournaments, since it doesn't interfere with their season. I can agree that if travel ball or AAU didn't exist, then colleges would find kids through school ball, but currently, particularly when talking about baseball, softball, soccer, volleyball and to some extent basketball, travel ball, club teams and AAU are a critical part of the recruiting process.

As long as travel ball, club teams, and AAU exist, you will need it to get recruited. It's much easier for college coaches to do their recruiting at the travel tournaments, since it doesn't interfere with their season. I can agree that if travel ball or AAU didn't exist, then colleges would find kids through school ball, but currently, particularly when talking about baseball, softball, soccer, volleyball and to some extent basketball, travel ball, club teams and AAU are a critical part of the recruiting process.
Maybe marginal d-1 players not not solid ones or elite ones. They always get found. Dont need joke leagues for that. Keep selling the dream that these league swill MAKE 5'7'' players who are jv players MLB stars.

Only those coaches stuck in the 90s put such a priority on travel teams.

This entire travel league/AAU system exists because it's a money grab scheme that has convinced families this is the only way to get noticed by coaches. And that is simply not true, for any sport.

Again, it you are good enough to play at the next level, they will find you.
Yeah 90% seems awfully high. I am more a baseball guy, but don't feel like the majority of players and parents I know had bad experiences overall with AAU and travel baseball. Less than half really complain.

Again, this is simply untrue. Coaches do their recruiting through film, and kids pop out in the first 15-20 seconds. Since Hudl and similar programs have been introduced, recruiting on the travel circuit has become pretty useless.

Maybe marginal d-1 players not not solid ones or elite ones. They always get found. Dont need joke leagues for that. Keep selling the dream that these league swill MAKE 5'7'' players who are jv players MLB stars.
Correct, and the marginal ones aren't getting scholarship money, they are getting walk on status.

And the reason parents don't complain is because they are living vicariously through their kids and are in complete denial about how much of a scam travel sports are.

Correct, and the marginal ones aren't getting scholarship money, they are getting walk on status.

And the reason parents don't complain is because they are living vicariously through their kids and are in complete denial about how much of a scam travel sports are.
Nah, Holiday Inn Express points.

Again, this is simply untrue. Coaches do their recruiting through film, and kids pop out in the first 15-20 seconds. Since Hudl and similar programs have been introduced, recruiting on the travel circuit has become pretty useless.
This is simply untrue. What about the athletes who get D1 offers before playing a varsity game? When these 9th graders are getting D1 offers especially in baseball, it's not coming of of varsity baseball videos lol.

I have a friend who is a varsity baseball coach who coached a kid (who eventually transferred HSs) who was verbally committed before his freshman varisty season and I know for a fact 110% travel baseball had more influence in regards to the parents, the player, and the colleges than the varsity coach/program. Just my experience last 5 years or so.

Maybe it's different where you live I don't know but a lot of these kids get offers from camps, showcases and AAU where I live in NEO.

This is simply untrue. What about the athletes who get D1 offers before playing a varsity game? When these 9th graders are getting D1 offers especially in baseball, it's not coming of of varsity baseball videos lol.

I have a friend who is a varsity baseball coach who coached a kid (who eventually transferred HSs) who was verbally committed before his freshman varisty season and I know for a fact 110% travel baseball had more influence in regards to the parents, the player, and the colleges than the varsity coach/program. Just my experience last 5 years or so.

Maybe it's different where you live I don't know but a lot of these kids get offers from camps, showcases and AAU where I live in NEO.
These are the freaks of nature who would get recruited regardless if they played travel ball. You are proving my point and you don't even realize it.

Even more so the NCAA added an extra evaluation period in July for scholastic events only to help balance out the shift in recruiting. So even they noticed

I see the hipocrisy of allowing other sports to do anything in offseason but limit football. But the AAU type club and travel teams just waste parents money and really does nothing for 98% of athletes. If a thlete is really a d-1 player, he or she will be found.
You mean found like the numerous players that had to walk on or play D2 because they didn’t look a certain way or run a 4.4 and then earned their way to a scholarship or even spot on an NFL team only after slumming it or paying their own way?