The Official NE8 Thread

Six game schedule is just laying the groundwork for the season to be moved to the spring, unfortunately I look for DeWine to announce It this week

Leagues are going to play league games. Non conference games are going to be out for the most part. The NE-8 will be all league games.

Playoffs are a lot different as everyone is going to make it. Coaches will vote on seeding. Regions will probably get changed around a bit due to teams dropping out.

Yeah. I figured the first part would happen... it makes sense.

I didn't know what the plan would be for the playoffs. It doesn't make sense for everyone to make it. the playoffs would be longer than the season. Why not just play a 6 or 8 game regular season schedule, use the same old Harbin point system and the top 4 from each region make the playoffs, tweak regions and that where needed, and everything is wrapped up in mid November at the latest. The way you describe seems overly complicated and unnecessary.

Yeah. I figured the first part would happen... it makes sense.

I didn't know what the plan would be for the playoffs. It doesn't make sense for everyone to make it. the playoffs would be longer than the season. Why not just play a 6 or 8 game regular season schedule, use the same old Harbin point system and the top 4 from each region make the playoffs, tweak regions and that where needed, and everything is wrapped up in mid November at the latest. The way you describe seems overly complicated and unnecessary.
What you describe is exactly what is happening other than the Harbins. The state championship games are nov 21 i believe. The reason they aren't using Harbins is because teams might not get 6 games in. Theoretically you could play 1 hame and still go to the playoffs in this system. Under the circumstances I think this is the best scenario possible really.

Hope your right, but BIG TEN will pull the plug any day and DeWine will ultimately cave
If the Big ten were to pull the plug it honestly would have nothing to do with safety. It would be because OSU and Michigan couldn't put 110, 000 people in the stands and all the money that brings to those schools every weekend. They'll gamble on being sble to do it in the spring. It's completely different for HS football.

What you describe is exactly what is happening other than the Harbins. The state championship games are nov 21 i believe. The reason they aren't using Harbins is because teams might not get 6 games in. Theoretically you could play 1 hame and still go to the playoffs in this system. Under the circumstances I think this is the best scenario possible really.
I guess.

So it’s basically gonna go to how basketball is seeded for the tournament, as long as there is football this season I’m okay with anything at this point

Yeah true. I hope I’m wrong. We’ll see
Kind of just meant it in a joking way. I feel kids will get together on their own with different schools, and probably just play the old sandlot football, if there is no season. Hopefully we can have one. Only around 2 weeks to go, and kids, and everyone has invested a lot to get a season in. Will be devastating to screw them now

Girard
8/28 at Lakeview
9/4 vs. South Range
9/11 at Poland
9/19 vs. Hubbard
9/25 at Jefferson
10/2 vs. Niles

Hubbard
8/28 vs. Struthers
9/4 at Jefferson
9/11 vs. Lakeview
9/18 at Girard
9/25 at Poland
10/2 vs. South Range

Jefferson
8/27 at Niles
9/4 vs. Hubbard
9/11 at Struthers
9/18 vs. South Range
9/25 vs. Girard
10/2 at Lakeview

Lakeview
8/28 vs. Girard
9/4 at Struthers
9/11 at Hubbard
9/18 vs. Poland
9/25 at Niles
10/2 vs. Jefferson

Niles
8/27 vs. Jefferson
9/4 at Poland
9/11 at South Range
9/18 vs. Struthers
9/25 vs. Lakeview
10/2 at Girard

Poland
8/28 at South Range
9/4 vs. Niles
9/11 vs. Girard
9/18 at Lakeview
9/25 vs. Hubbard
10/2 at Struthers

South Range
8/28 vs. Poland
9/4 at Girard
9/11 vs. Niles
9/18 at Jefferson
9/25 vs. Struthers
10/2 at Hubbard

Struthers
8/28 at Hubbard
9/4 vs. Lakeview
9/11 vs. Jefferson
9/18 at Niles
9/25 at South Range
10/2 vs. Poland

Last edited:
Girard
8/28 at Lakeview
9/4 vs. South Range
9/11 at Poland
9/19 vs. Hubbard
9/25 at Jefferson
10/2 vs. Niles

Hubbard
8/28 vs. Struthers
9/4 at Jefferson
9/11 vs. Lakeview
9/18 at Girard
9/25 at Poland

Jefferson
8/27 at Niles
9/4 vs. Hubbard
9/11 vs. Lakeview
9/18 vs. South Range
9/25 vs. Girard
10/2 at Lakeview

Lakeview
8/28 vs. Girard
9/4 at Struthers
9/11 at Hubbard
9/18 vs. Poland
9/25 at Niles
10/2 vs. Jefferson

Niles
8/27 vs. Jefferson
9/4 at Poland
9/11 at South Range
9/18 vs. Struthers
9/25 vs. Lakeview
10/2 at Girard

Poland
8/28 at South Range
9/4 vs. Niles
9/11 vs. Girard
9/18 at Lakeview
9/25 vs. Hubbard
10/2 at Struthers

South Range
8/28 vs. Poland
9/4 at Girard
9/11 vs. Niles
9/18 at Jefferson
9/25 vs. Struthers
10/2 at Hubbard

Struthers
8/28 at Hubbard
9/4 vs. Lakeview
9/11 vs. Jefferson
9/18 at Niles
9/25 at South Range
10/2 vs. Poland

I thought Ashtabula County schools had to play just their county. That must have changed?

I thought Ashtabula County schools had to play just their county. That must have changed?
I read in the star beacon that many schools rescinded on only playing county schools. If (and that's a big if) St John's fielded an 11 man team there's no way they could compete. Py Valley would struggle also. The thought to only play county teams was short sided. For example Py Valley not playing sparsely populated Vienna and Southington just because Trumbull County as a whole has high numbers?

Two questions for discussion:

1) How does a 6 game regular season (plus following play-offs) improve things with regards to being safer and/or more healthy than a 10 game regular season (plus play-offs)? It seems there’s little-to-no benefit to the OHSAA’s plan. It’s like being a little pregnant.

2) If this proposed 6 game regular season is the way we’re going, why not have all the schools just play the first six games they’d already scheduled to avoid the mass rescheduling that’s apparently now occurring? It precludes the conference schools playing for titles but would be much easier than mass changes and would have the added benefit of the local non-conference schools from being left out in the cold (Boardman, Canfield, Chaney, East, Fitch, Howland, Mooney & Ursuline).

I honestly don’t believe there will be a season as much as I want one, it will be a shame if it starts and 2 weeks later it shuts down

1) How does a 6 game regular season (plus following play-offs) improve things with regards to being safer and/or more healthy than a 10 game regular season (plus play-offs)? It seems there’s little-to-no benefit to the OHSAA’s plan. It’s like being a little pregnant.

2) If this proposed 6 game regular season is the way we’re going, why not have all the schools just play the first six games they’d already scheduled to avoid the mass rescheduling that’s apparently now occurring? It precludes the conference schools playing for titles but would be much easier than mass changes and would have the added benefit of the local non-conference schools from being left out in the cold (Boardman, Canfield, Chaney, East, Fitch, Howland, Mooney & Ursuline).
A lot of schools play farther away the first couple games, and conference games are normally within the area.

1. Since no one is really sure what the covid situation is going to be like this winter... flu season... the OHSAA wants to wrap up the season earlier than usual.

2. Buckeye's reply answers your 2nd question. Also plays into your 1st question.

Dana Balash tweeted the other day that the OHSAA didn't consult with the OHSFCA before they announced their plans for the season... so that was interesting.

Also... Chaney, East, Mooney, and Ursuline are all in the SVC. Their schedules are mostly filled by this point... if not already filled.
And Boardman, Fitch, and Harding were among the first schools to announce their revised schedules... must not have been that tough to find games for them since they filled out right away.

Boardman plays Fitch, East, Ursuline, Howland, Mooney, Canfield.
Fitch plays Boardman, Ursuline, Chaney, Harding, Benedictine, Steubenville.
Harding plays Cleveland Heights, Mooney, Massilon, Fitch, Ursuline, SVSM.

From that, we can determine that Ursuline has 6 games already, Mooney has 5 games, and Chaney and East both have 4. And Dana Balash tweeted that Mooney will also play Steubenville and East will play University school. So that's 6 for Mooney, 5 for East, and 4 for Chaney..
Dana also tweeted that Howland will close their season against JFK... they're on Boardman's schedule and it's pretty much a lock that they're gonna play Canfield. So that's 3 for Howland. Howland/Chaney was supposed to happen... no reason to think it won't still. 4 for Howland and 5 for Chaney.
Canfield was supposed to play Chaney and East, and there's no reason why those shouldn't remain on the schedule. So with Boardman, Howland, Chaney, East, that's 4 for Canfield and 6 for both Chaney and East.

Mooney - Steubenville, Harding, Boardman, Chaney, East, Ursuline.
Chaney - Canfield, Fitch, Howland, East, Mooney, Ursuline.
East - Boardman, Canfield, University School, Chaney, Mooney, Ursuline.
Ursuline - Boardman, Fitch, Harding, Chaney, East, Mooney.
Canfield - Boardman, Chaney, East, Howland, ?, ?.
Howland - Boardman, Canfield, Chaney, JFK, ?, ?.

My point is... it hasn't been that hard for the teams that you mentioned to find games. Most of them already have full schedules. They haven't been "left out in the cold" at all.

Last edited:
Hope YSN broadcasts the games because ain't nobody getting in the gate unless one parent maybe. Can't see anybody filling up the tank for trip to Jefferson.