The Official 2024 Reds season thread

Also, he's got 8 home runs and 17 stolen bases in April and that's never been done before in major league history. I'd say he just missed a homer his second at bat, he was going to left field and just got under it a bit. He's ability to generate leverage and power for a guy his size is amazing.
LOL. I guess you are not a person who understands physical science? A tall person always generates more leverage than a short guy. Your statement would be appropriate for Altuve.

If you don't believe me, here is an example a ditch digger would understand. You have 2 shovels with the same size head. One has a 6 inch handle. The other has a normal 3 foot handle. Which is easier to use to dig a hole? Clearly, the longer lever gives you more power.

Shorter players advantage is a more compact, controllable swing plane. Tall guys like Elly and Judge generate a ton of power but swing and miss more.

LOL. I guess you are not a person who understands physical science? A tall person always generates more leverage than a short guy. Your statement would be appropriate for Altuve.

If you don't believe me, here is an example a ditch digger would understand. You have 2 shovels with the same size head. One has a 6 inch handle. The other has a normal 3 foot handle. Which is easier to use to dig a hole? Clearly, the longer lever gives you more power.

Shorter players advantage is a more compact, controllable swing plane. Tall guys like Elly and Judge generate a ton of power but swing and miss more.
Yes, and yes. In baseball, you do see tall guys with long arms struggle, especially on the inside pitch. Please re-read my post. Many of you guys really like to dissect word for word each post for some odd reason. I think the difference with Elly is he can get that hit the opposite way with alot of power that we don't normally see. He can basically inside out swing an hit homers where most guys from the past and currently hit bloopers over the infield and occasionally hit a gap.

Well there's one way to keep Bell's lineup consistent, just not replace injured players. So CES/ Stephenson are out with injuries and Fraley's sick again. We've had 1 bench guy yesterday and today, Bubba Thompson.
1714590688103.png

So we are at May 1, so I'll put out grades on each Reds player and group grades thus far.

Pitching - A's - Lodolo & Cruz - Fernando Cruz has been a very pleasant surprise. So much so that if Diaz ever has some trouble, you could quickly move Cruz in to the closer's role. We knew Lodolo could be this. Now we just need to hold our breaths after every start and hopefully he has a healthy full season.
Pitching - B's - Greene, Ashcraft, Abbott, Martinez, Diaz, Suter, Farmer. Probably a few surprises on here. Overall Greene hasn't pitched poorly, it's just the pitch count issues that keep cropping up. Abbott has got some good run support in his starts as has Ashcraft. Diaz has had a couple of hiccups but has been other wise solid.
Pitching - C's - Montas, Pagan and Wilson - Montas maybe more of product that he's missed some time. Pagan has been disappointing. I though he's really take over some innings
Pitching - D's - Sims. It's good that we have only one guy on this list. Sims is a very tough guy to figure out. He has a good outing followed by 2-3 bad ones.
Pitching overall - B. the Reds pitching statistics are great in comparison to past years. Sure we''d love to get a little more consistent starting pitching, but they are doing a good job, and the bullpen has picked up where thy left off from last year.

Position - A's - De La Cruz, only one. He's been off the charts good when many expected him to struggle.

Position B's - Benson, Steer, Stephenson, Espinal, Fairchild. - 2 weeks ago, I'd probably have Steer with an A. Benson has become an everyday player. I think Tyler Stephenson has had a nice month. With the injuries and suspension, Espinal has done a great job. Friedl's injury opened the door for Stuar Fairchild and he's taken full advantage. He can play all outfield position, he runs well and has hit good enough.

Position C's - Martini, CES, Fraley, India, Maile. One of the reasons we are not futher above .500 is these guys were expected to do alot more than what they are doing, especially CES/ Fraley and India.

Position D's - Candelario and Thompson - Candelario has swung a hot bat the last few days and let's hope that's what's coming for him. He was expected to step right into a good lineup and contribute. He's a historically slow starter.
Bubba Thompson is fast, but really struggles hitting.

Position player overall grade. C. I know we're missing some guys, but felt like we'd score and be alot more effective on offense. Steer was hot early, Elly's been pretty good all season, but outside of that, just guys who are struggling with consistency. I'm SO happy we are running.

All in all for April will take it. May's schedule is challenging, but this teams starting pitching has been doing well. We've not won anything but we're not out of it either.

So we are at May 1, so I'll put out grades on each Reds player and group grades thus far.

Pitching - A's - Lodolo & Cruz - Fernando Cruz has been a very pleasant surprise. So much so that if Diaz ever has some trouble, you could quickly move Cruz in to the closer's role. We knew Lodolo could be this. Now we just need to hold our breaths after every start and hopefully he has a healthy full season.
Pitching - B's - Greene, Ashcraft, Abbott, Martinez, Diaz, Suter, Farmer. Probably a few surprises on here. Overall Greene hasn't pitched poorly, it's just the pitch count issues that keep cropping up. Abbott has got some good run support in his starts as has Ashcraft. Diaz has had a couple of hiccups but has been other wise solid.
Pitching - C's - Montas, Pagan and Wilson - Montas maybe more of product that he's missed some time. Pagan has been disappointing. I though he's really take over some innings
Pitching - D's - Sims. It's good that we have only one guy on this list. Sims is a very tough guy to figure out. He has a good outing followed by 2-3 bad ones.
Pitching overall - B. the Reds pitching statistics are great in comparison to past years. Sure we''d love to get a little more consistent starting pitching, but they are doing a good job, and the bullpen has picked up where thy left off from last year.

Position - A's - De La Cruz, only one. He's been off the charts good when many expected him to struggle.

Position B's - Benson, Steer, Stephenson, Espinal, Fairchild. - 2 weeks ago, I'd probably have Steer with an A. Benson has become an everyday player. I think Tyler Stephenson has had a nice month. With the injuries and suspension, Espinal has done a great job. Friedl's injury opened the door for Stuar Fairchild and he's taken full advantage. He can play all outfield position, he runs well and has hit good enough.

Position C's - Martini, CES, Fraley, India, Maile. One of the reasons we are not futher above .500 is these guys were expected to do alot more than what they are doing, especially CES/ Fraley and India.

Position D's - Candelario and Thompson - Candelario has swung a hot bat the last few days and let's hope that's what's coming for him. He was expected to step right into a good lineup and contribute. He's a historically slow starter.

Position player overall grade. C. I know we're missing some guys, but felt like we'd score and be alot more effective on offense. Steer was hot early, Elly's been pretty good all season, but outside of that, just guys who are struggling with consistency. I'm SO happy we are running.

All in all for April will take it. May's schedule is challenging, but this teams starting pitching has been doing well. We've not won anything but we're not out of it either.
Are you grading on a curve with some of these guys? I don’t understand how Espinal, Fairchild and even Benson would be given a B grade for their performance so far.

Martini’s C grade seems generous.

And Bubba Thompson is an easy F grade.

The problem with all these injuries and sickness among the position players is that, aside from Mike Ford, there are no answers at the moment in Louisville.

Hopefully Ford has forced Krall’s hand by opting out of his contract yesterday, which means he either gets put on the active roster tomorrow or he’s gone. Thompson or Martini could be optioned and no one would bat an eye.

As for outfield help, Blake Dunn has a pedestrian .718 OPS in Louisville so far. Maybe he comes up later this year if he starts beating up AAA pitching, but I’m sure they don’t want to turn to him until he at least exhibits that he can consistently beat AAA pitchers. Rece Hinds has struck out an astronomical 50 times in 119 plate appearances so far this season. His OPS sits in the .600s. And Jacob Hurtubise is injured and has only played 3 games so far.

The Louisville infield is bereft of any help.

So not a lot a great options on the position player side unless they want a third catcher.

Well there's one way to keep Bell's lineup consistent, just not replace injured players. So CES/ Stephenson are out with injuries and Fraley's sick again. We've had 1 bench guy yesterday and today, Bubba Thompson.
View attachment 58105
Yeah this is on Krall, leaving Bell totally short-handed. There is a 10 day IL for a reason.

It makes no sense, unless there is just absolutely no one in AAA that you want to have on the bench. Which also falls on Krall.

Your grading system is based on what? your eye test?

Steer is an easy A. I told you last week that he was #27 in the MLB in overall offensive production (BA, HR, Runs, RBI, SB). He is now up to #20. Reminder - there are 30 teams. Since the Dodgers, Yankees and Braves each have multiple guys in the top 20, Steer being at #20 means that he would be the best player on at least 15 teams in the MLB. By the way, Elly is #1 on that chart, which is awesome.

Benson has had good moments but a .280 OBP is Billy Hamilton like. Grading him and Steer the same shows a complete lack of understanding as to what wins baseball games.

Giving Espinal and Fairchild the same grade as Steer is borderline moronic. "Stu made a great catch yesterday - he gets a B". Jeez. They are both "D" grades thus far. Fairchild maybe gets a "C-". Do you even look at numbers?

Save the wear and tear on your keyboard next time. Or do a little analysis first.

Your grading system is based on what? your eye test?

Steer is an easy A. I told you last week that he was #27 in the MLB in overall offensive production (BA, HR, Runs, RBI, SB). He is now up to #20. Reminder - there are 30 teams. Since the Dodgers, Yankees and Braves each have multiple guys in the top 20, Steer being at #20 means that he would be the best player on at least 15 teams in the MLB. By the way, Elly is #1 on that chart, which is awesome.

Benson has had good moments but a .280 OBP is Billy Hamilton like. Grading him and Steer the same shows a complete lack of understanding as to what wins baseball games.

Giving Espinal and Fairchild the same grade as Steer is borderline moronic. "Stu made a great catch yesterday - he gets a B". Jeez. They are both "D" grades thus far. Fairchild maybe gets a "C-". Do you even look at numbers?

Save the wear and tear on your keyboard next time. Or do a little analysis first.
To answer your first question, yes, the eye test. That's what drives most things. I watch, listen to most Reds games so I think I have a pretty good understanding. I didn't want to do +'s and -'s so I just stuck to the basic one letter grade. Love steer, but on April 14th, Steer was at .346 BA, .477 on base, 1.150 OPS. April 30 his numbers dropped all the way down to .252/ .367/ .797. Yes, short sample size, but he has struggled the last two weeks. Even you can see that.
I probably should had explained the grading system. This is my perception based on their perceived value to the team. Obviously star players get graded tougher because more is expected.
So why was Espinal and Fairchild graded as they were? Well Fairlchild doesn't even make the team out of camp if Friedl is available. And Espinal isn't even on the team if Marte, McLain are here. So their bar is very low. Do you know that Espinal is 5th on this team in RBI? Ahead of Benson, India, Stephenson, Fraley and Candelario? His BA is terrible, but he's got some big hits in key moments and he has an above average glove. For an extra outfielder, Fairchild has been great. So much so he's leadoff or hit in the middle of the order more than anyone would have dreamed.
And this is a simple grade from one person, lighten up a bit. BTW, I retract my comment on Cruz after yesterday. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah this is on Krall, leaving Bell totally short-handed. There is a 10 day IL for a reason.

It makes no sense, unless there is just absolutely no one in AAA that you want to have on the bench. Which also falls on Krall.
It just is crazy to me. Lance was talking about it last night and he basically said it's better to go short for these last few days, rather than put the guys on the 10 day and not get them back until the middle of next week. So that's basically saying these games are not important enough to try to win. Nonsense.

Are you grading on a curve with some of these guys? I don’t understand how Espinal, Fairchild and even Benson would be given a B grade for their performance so far.

Martini’s C grade seems generous.

And Bubba Thompson is an easy F grade.
See my response just a bit ago. I should had explained my grading system.

It just is crazy to me. Lance was talking about it last night and he basically said it's better to go short for these last few days, rather than put the guys on the 10 day and not get them back until the middle of next week. So that's basically saying these games are not important enough to try to win. Nonsense.
Read my post above from this morning. You wanna put guys on the IL, fine. But tell me specifically who you’re bringing up that is going to contribute in a positive fashion besides Mike Ford.

Also, FWIW, the Reds are either at 39 or 40 on the 40-man roster right now (MLB.com has Livan Soto listed twice for some reason). Their only “easy” choices to clear 40-man spots are to move Gibaut to the 60-day IL or DFA Martini and Thompson. Beyond that, there will be tough choices if roster spots need to be created beyond those three spots for players not currently on the 40-man. McLain will take one of those 40-man spots at some point this summer hopefully. Guys like Legumina and Soto who the Reds could want to keep might have to be on the chopping block if the Reds get aggressive enough playing roster roulette as the season progresses.

Read my post above from this morning. You wanna put guys on the IL, fine. But tell me specifically who you’re bringing up that is going to contribute in a positive fashion besides Mike Ford.

Also, FWIW, the Reds are either at 39 or 40 on the 40-man roster right now (MLB.com has Livan Soto listed twice for some reason). Their only “easy” choices to clear 40-man spots are to move Gibaut to the 60-day IL or DFA Martini and Thompson. Beyond that, there will be tough choices if roster spots need to be created beyond those three spots for players not currently on the 40-man. McLain will take one of those 40-man spots at some point this summer hopefully. Guys like Legumina and Soto who the Reds could want to keep might have to be on the chopping block if the Reds get aggressive enough playing roster roulette.
Ok, I'm going to simplify this. The last 3 games, you've had 1 bench player. Now I contend that Tyler Stephenson was indeed available the last few days, because you NEVER play major league baseball games with only 1 active catcher. Heck, just within the last few years we kept 3 catchers on the roster many times - although Kyle Farmer was a perfect guy to have for that purpose.
But still, in my mind it's really this simple, be it Jacob Hurtibese, Rece Hines, Peyton Burdick, Livan Soto...ANY live body is better than nobody. No one will ever say it, but I really feel this was a case where the Reds decided they were not going to play Stephenson, CES or Fraley UNLESS there was an injury to another player. It's obviously the club's decision and I think it's wrong.

Ok, I'm going to simplify this. The last 3 games, you've had 1 bench player. Now I contend that Tyler Stephenson was indeed available the last few days, because you NEVER play major league baseball games with only 1 active catcher. Heck, just within the last few years we kept 3 catchers on the roster many times - although Kyle Farmer was a perfect guy to have for that purpose.
But still, in my mind it's really this simple, be it Jacob Hurtibese, Rece Hines, Peyton Burdick, Livan Soto...ANY live body is better than nobody. No one will ever say it, but I really feel this was a case where the Reds decided they were not going to play Stephenson, CES or Fraley UNLESS there was an injury to another player. It's obviously the club's decision and I think it's wrong.
Let’s say you bring up Ford and Burdick. You have to create a 40-man spot. So you move Gibaut to the 60-day IL. (Burdick is on the 40-man and is another chopping block candidate if push comes to shove.)

You put CES and Fraley on the IL. Now you’re stuck without those guys until late next week and your depth in the interim is essentially unplayable guys like Thompson, Martini and Burdick. Doesn’t seem like a great solution.

To answer your first question, yes, the eye test. That's what drives most things. I watch, listen to most Reds games so I think I have a pretty good understanding. I didn't want to do +'s and -'s so I just stuck to the basic one letter grade. Love steer, but on April 14th, Steer was at .346 BA, .477 on base, 1.150 OPS. April 30 his numbers dropped all the way down to .252/ .367/ .797. Yes, short sample size, but he has struggled the last two weeks. Even you can see that.
I probably should had explained the grading system. This is my perception based on their perceived value to the team. Obviously star players get graded tougher because more is expected.
So why was Espinal and Fairchild graded as they were? Well Fairlchild doesn't even make the team out of camp if Friedl is available. And Espinal isn't even on the team if Marte, McLain are here. So their bar is very low. Do you know that Espinal is 5th on this team in RBI? Ahead of Benson, India, Stephenson, Fraley and Candelario? His BA is terrible, but he's got some big hits in key moments and he has an above average glove. For an extra outfielder, Fairchild has been great. So much so he's leadoff or hit in the middle of the order more than anyone would have dreamed.
And this is a simple grade from one person, lighten up a bit. BTW, I retract my comment on Cruz after yesterday. :ROFLMAO:
You said you were grading for the entire season so far. Steer is the 20th most productive offensive player in the MLB. Giving him and Espinal/Benson/Fairchild the same grade is basically affirmative action. Factoring your expectations into the grade makes them meaningless.

Let’s say you bring up Ford and Burdick. You have to create a 40-man spot. So you move Gibaut to the 60-day IL. (Burdick is on the 40-man and is another chopping block candidate if push comes to shove.)

You put CES and Fraley on the IL. Now you’re stuck without those guys until late next week and your depth in the interim is essentially unplayable guys like Thompson, Martini and Burdick. Doesn’t seem like a great solution.
I like to have guys who are available on that day. What do the Reds do famously when we get into any run of using alot of pitchers, we swap a guy out of Louisville, immediately.

The underlying frustration for me is why do we keep coddling these guys all the time. Pitchers can pitch more than an inning a day, they can push through it. You don't need to religiously keep 13 pitchers on the roster at all times. In fact, the Reds are near the tops in baseball for starters innings, so the need for so many bullpen guys are gone. Stop doing it. Bring up an extra position player or two.
Jake Fraley, how sick do you have to be to no play a baseball game? We've had 4-5 guys miss games in the past few weeks for being...sick???
Finally, either CES or Stephenson is hurt or they are not. This crap where we go day to day to day to day....it's maddening.

I like to have guys who are available on that day. What do the Reds do famously when we get into any run of using alot of pitchers, we swap a guy out of Louisville, immediately.

The underlying frustration for me is why do we keep coddling these guys all the time. Pitchers can pitch more than an inning a day, they can push through it. You don't need to religiously keep 13 pitchers on the roster at all times. In fact, the Reds are near the tops in baseball for starters innings, so the need for so many bullpen guys are gone. Stop doing it. Bring up an extra position player or two.
Jake Fraley, how sick do you have to be to no play a baseball game? We've had 4-5 guys miss games in the past few weeks for being...sick???
Finally, either CES or Stephenson is hurt or they are not. This crap where we go day to day to day to day....it's maddening.
im glad you don't run the franchise and can only type your idiocy on yappi. good lord

jtk
()

I actually agree with part of this. Not the "push through the injuries" stuff - that is crazy. If a player cannot grip a bat and rip through the swing (or run full speed) without pain or making an injury worse, they need to sit out.

The part I agree with is the 13 pitchers part. As you say, we have 5 starters that give us pretty good innings most of the time. We do not need to carry 13 pitchers every day. Relievers can go an inning 2 days in a row, and maybe pitch 4 times in a week. If someone needs a rest, use the Louisville shuffle and get a fresh arm. I have always wanted it to be 12 pitchers, 2 catchers, and 12 position players. This is especially true now, when we have a couple of position players hurt enough to not play, but not hurt enough for the 10 day IL.

Once Montas is back, and Martinez is in the pen, we have two guys (Martinez and Suter) that can give great length out of the pen. Reds should only carry 12 pitchers.

Unfortunately Spotrac appears to have removed number of minor-league option years from the payroll table. Which stinks because I don’t know where else to find that info for players.

But I’m pretty sure the only relievers with options are Moll, Cruz and Diaz. So removing any other reliever from the active roster means DFA’ing them and losing them to another team. Farmer would probably be the top DFA candidate, maybe Wilson.

I actually agree with part of this. Not the "push through the injuries" stuff - that is crazy. If a player cannot grip a bat and rip through the swing (or run full speed) without pain or making an injury worse, they need to sit out.

The part I agree with is the 13 pitchers part. As you say, we have 5 starters that give us pretty good innings most of the time. We do not need to carry 13 pitchers every day. Relievers can go an inning 2 days in a row, and maybe pitch 4 times in a week. If someone needs a rest, use the Louisville shuffle and get a fresh arm. I have always wanted it to be 12 pitchers, 2 catchers, and 12 position players. This is especially true now, when we have a couple of position players hurt enough to not play, but not hurt enough for the 10 day IL.

Once Montas is back, and Martinez is in the pen, we have two guys (Martinez and Suter) that can give great length out of the pen. Reds should only carry 12 pitchers.
So I'm going to use a 2024 phrase that drives me nuts - "out of the abundance of caution". So I'm pretty sure Stevenson was available "if necessary" the last 3 days, no one just said it officially because the Reds like to play this game with us and I don't know why. It's not like we care who's available and who's not. So just to your question, if a player cannot grip a bat or swing, even a few days ago, then why not put them on the 10 day? Again, the less info they give us, the more questions arise.
I've never, ever agreed with how pitchers are handled today. Now last year or the year before, when you have young pitchers and you don't want them to overextend, you need more pitches to pick up the slack. But now? We have 4 starters that I feel can consistently give us 6-7 innings per start. As soon as Montas is back that even helps more with Martinez going back to the pen. So why not carry 11-12 pitchers and give us another us another bench player or two.

So I'm going to use a 2024 phrase that drives me nuts - "out of the abundance of caution". So I'm pretty sure Stevenson was available "if necessary" the last 3 days, no one just said it officially because the Reds like to play this game with us and I don't know why. It's not like we care who's available and who's not. So just to your question, if a player cannot grip a bat or swing, even a few days ago, then why not put them on the 10 day? Again, the less info they give us, the more questions arise.
Get realistic. The Reds do not care about withholding info from fans. The Reds (and EVERY pro sports team) withhold info so that opponents do not know. If the other manager thinks that maybe CES or Stephenson is available on the bench, it might impact their pitching changes. That's all this is. It is not about you and your need to know.

Elly gets the headline on MLB.com today.

He can be awfully special. I actually think they need to just leave him at shortstop. I know many want to move him to the outfield.

So the Reds start a weekend series with one of the best teams in baseball, the Baltimore Orioles. While a tall order, the Reds have Greene, Abbott and Lodolo so we're bringing our best. As noted earlier in the lineup, the Reds are nearly at full strength with the return of Encarnacion-Strand and Stephenson. India is back in the leadoff spot with Steer/ Elly, Stephenson and CES.

I think the Reds take 2 of 3 this weekend, FWIW.

It’s raining down here by the park right now. Wonder if this game will start on time.