The Official 2012 Cleveland Indians Thread

Clyde Frog

With the 2011 World Series now over, it's time to focus on the 2012 season. Use this thread to talk about anything regarding the 2012 Cleveland Indians!

I know I'm a few hours late, but there has already been some big news made by the Tribe front office. Today, the Indians picked up the option on pitcher Fausto Carmona and declined the option on outfielder Grady Sizemore.

Carmona will make $7 million in 2012. Sizemore, who would've made $9 million, still may be resigned by Cleveland, but at a lower price.

The Indians also added a pitcher today via trade, trading minor league pitcher Chris Jones to Atlanta for veteran Derek Lowe. Lowe went 9-17 last season in ATL with a 5.05 ERA. He is scheduled to make $15 million this season, though the Indians will only have to pay $5 million of Lowe's contract.

I'm not sure why they decided to pick up Carmona's 7 million dollar option, unless they know something we don't. Otherwise, I'm happy they are not paying Grady 9 million, and I like the trade for Lowe, since they will only have to pay him 5 million of the 15 he is owed.

I have a feeling that Antonetti's argument for keeping Carmona is due to the fact that Carmona was healthy last season and didn't get a great amount of run support. Not saying that giving Carmona more run support would've helped him out at all, but I think that may be why Carmona was picked up. I'm happy Sizemore is out as he has been just about pointless the past two seasons. Derek Lowe, if nothing else, should eat up some innings and provide some nice veteran leadership to a pitching staff that is still relatively young overall.

I think Lowe has been the victim of bad luck and bad fielding. His FIP and xFIP are both around league average and his BAPIP have been really high. What his tells me is that a groundball pitcher is giving up a normal rate of groundballs for him and they're falling for hits. If his BAPIP regresses back towards the mean with the Indians then his ERA will fall also. Even if it doesn't, every team wants a 5th starter that they can count on to throw 180+ innings. It's pretty rare that the 5th starter throws up great numbers.

Really hope they make a play for Josh Willingham. I wanted them to try to trade for him prior to the deadline.

I'd like Willingham especially now that Brantley is most likely going to be moved to center. That's not something I especially support but he's our best everyday option at this point.

I'd like Willingham especially now that Brantley is most likely going to be moved to center. That's not something I especially support but he's our best everyday option at this point.

Brantley can't play center on a fulltime basis. His range is so-so at best and he's got a rubber band for a throwing arm. He can't throw anyone out from short left field. How is he going to keep runners from taking advantage of him on anything hit deep to center? Opponents will be scoring from first base on singles. Why do you think Brantley got moved to left in the first place?

Believe me. The guy just isn't a major league caliber center fielder.

Trust me I don't want Brantley in center but when I posted that it looked like Sizemore was leaving and none of the free agents being discussed are center fielders. It is still possible that we'll maybe trade for a center fielder but right now our options are a we-don't-know-how-healthy-he'll-be Grady Sizemore and...well that's about it. Zeke isn't ready to be an everyday player and Brantley , even with all of what you listed, is our next option right now.

Obviously we can still acquire someone to play center but until that happens we'll have to be ready for the fact that Brantley might be playing some center this year.

Kind of surprised Sizemore's deal hasn't been announced yet... I was listening to The Fan yesterday and they had someone close with the organization who was saying the deal was done they were just waiting to announce it. The deal is rumored to be worth $1 to $3 million and could be worth up to $7 to $9 million after incentives such as games played. Hard to hate this deal. I still would like Fukudome to resign with the Tribe if the price is right. He was solid in his couple months in Cleveland and you can never expect Sizemore to play near 162 games. Also, Choo had injury problems so a decent veteran in the OF for cheap would be a good idea.

I read a comment/question posted on MLB.com asking a writer from the site if they would go after CJ Wilson and move Masterson to the bullpen. This is one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. The Indians are one of the few teams who have their 2012 rotation set. Going after another SP just won't happen and would be a waste of money. Hell picking up Carmona's option for $7 million to be a #5 starter and have an ERA over 5.00 was a waste of money.

Off topic and this story might be old to some but I thought I'd share for an LOL.

When Manny Ramirez was in Cleveland he was known for stupid things like leaving uncashed paychecks in the glove box of his car, etc. Listening to 92.3 this morning they brought up a story of ManRam having one of the clubhouse assistants clean out his car for him. Manny tried to tip the assistant with one of his uncashed paychecks. His teammates had to intervene and tell him "no."

First time I'd heard that one but had to laugh.

Kind of surprised Sizemore's deal hasn't been announced yet... I was listening to The Fan yesterday and they had someone close with the organization who was saying the deal was done they were just waiting to announce it. The deal is rumored to be worth $1 to $3 million and could be worth up to $7 to $9 million after incentives such as games played. Hard to hate this deal.

It's a $5 million base salary with incentives that can take it to $9 million. The only part not to "hate" about this deal is that he has to have 450 AB's before incentives kick in. Frankly, they overpaid on his base.

Kind of surprised Sizemore's deal hasn't been announced yet... I was listening to The Fan yesterday and they had someone close with the organization who was saying the deal was done they were just waiting to announce it. The deal is rumored to be worth $1 to $3 million and could be worth up to $7 to $9 million after incentives such as games played. Hard to hate this deal. I still would like Fukudome to resign with the Tribe if the price is right. He was solid in his couple months in Cleveland and you can never expect Sizemore to play near 162 games. Also, Choo had injury problems so a decent veteran in the OF for cheap would be a good idea.

I read a comment/question posted on MLB.com asking a writer from the site if they would go after CJ Wilson and move Masterson to the bullpen. This is one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. The Indians are one of the few teams who have their 2012 rotation set. Going after another SP just won't happen and would be a waste of money. Hell picking up Carmona's option for $7 million to be a #5 starter and have an ERA over 5.00 was a waste of money.

How could adding CJ Wilson be a waste of money? It's not like the Tribe staff is a world beater. They have like three solid pitchers and a couple scrubs.

How could adding CJ Wilson be a waste of money? It's not like the Tribe staff is a world beater. They have like three solid pitchers and a couple scrubs.

Because they already have two solid aces (Ubaldo, Masterson), two other guys they have a good amount of money invested in (Lowe, Carmona), and a talented young pitcher (Tomlin). I would have been all for getting Wilson and not picking up Carmona's option but if they got Wilson (which will not happen), who would be the odd man out of the rotation? Carmona is the worst in the group but he's the highest paid Indians starter so he'll be in the rotation. The money that is still available needs to go towards a bat, 1B/3B or preferably a guy who can play both corners.

Whoever wrote that question is an idiot. Masterson was the Indians best pitcher last season and there is a 0% chance he's moving to the bullpen. There's even less of a chance that they'll sign CJ Wilson. He's the most sought after pitcher on the market and he'll get top dollar. Whatever resources ($ for FA or trade pieces) the Indians have left will go towards either depth in the OF or a 1B. I don't see them going after a 3B with Chiz and Hannahan on the roster plus Donald being able to play over there.

I could see them try to get a 3B and move him to 1B ala Aramis Ramirez

I don't know how you guys wouldn't love to see the top 3 in the rotation be CJ Wilson, Ubaldo Jimenez, and Justin Masterson.

I'd love to see it, but the Indians have more pressing needs right now than another starter. The lack of a power hitting right hander is a bigger issue than adding another starter to an already solid rotation. If Cleveland had the luxuries like the Yankees and Red Sox I'd be all about going after Wilson, but seeing that the Tribe needs to be more choosey, I'd rather them focus on the lineup than the pitching staff right now.

Yah LA's got some new owners they need something to garner positive publicity. I bet we still have some Pronk Bars lying around.

Hmmmm....

Loede923TheFan Matt Loede
Chris Antonetti on a possible trade the # Indians are involved in: "one would be very surprising if we were able to get it done" # MLB

Antonetti: "I'm pretty sure I could give you 50 guesses, and you probably wouldn't get it." - so let the guessing game begin! # Indians

Same front, I've been reading tweets about SD needing relief help with Bell gone, and have a power 1B prospect in Kyle Blanks, who's been compared to Frank Thomas.

If we're looking for pure surprise, maybe Hanley Ramirez or Gaby Sanchez from Miami?

He plays for the Reds. He should be playing 1B, but because the Reds have Votto he has been playing mostly in LF (which, btw, he is not particularly good at). He has been rated as high as the 35th best prospect in baseball by Baseball America. I'm curious as to what the Indians would be offering for him?

Last edited: