Summer Olympics

The Olympics have been much better than I anticipated. Refreshing to see Old Glory be the focus. Congratulations to all the Athletes that represented the USA in that fashion.

Seemed like a lot of first wins or medals for countries or first wins in a 100 years.... That was a tickle. I would have like a couple more points in wrestling, an NBC that had a clue and a lot less Kdoba or whatever her name is. Even without fans and the exhausting hunt for streaming events, this was one of my favorite Olympics. Japan deserves an extra pat on the back for putting these on. All the work and little of the reward. No tourists, no fans...

Race walk. Who comes up with this?

Saw it in college once and thought everyone just had to take a dump.

sitepandawhalecom GIF
looks like brian after nordonia played lasalle in state finals.

jtk
()

Race walk. Who comes up with this?

Saw it in college once and thought everyone just had to take a dump.

sitepandawhalecom GIF
The 50 k race walk will no longer be competed at the Olympics. The athletes say it is because the Olympic committee can't sell tix. for it, being strung out over a large distance, so the powers to be dropped it.

Wiki says we only have representative champs in 9 of the 17 pro weights, all but one contested and a few not native born. When they clean up the act, it will become the sweet science again here as it is in Britain, who has emphasized development through foreign born (lower economic class, quelle surprise).

Closing ceremonies: terrific how they incorporated the traditional Marathon award ceremony.

USA men did not win one individual gold medal on the track, wonder if that has ever happened before.

That's a first

Men's Events Only
I placed the decathlon in the Field side since most of the events are there.

1896 Athens
9-G ... Track 3 Gold / Field 6 Gold

1900 Paris
16-G ... Track 7 Gold / Field 9 Gold

1904 St.Louis
23-G ... Track 12 Gold / Field 11 Gold

1908 London
15-G ... Track 6 Gold / Field 9 Gold

1912 Stockholm
14-G ... Track 7 Gold / Field 7 Gold

1920 Antwerp
9-G ... Track 5 Gold / Field 4 Gold

1924 Paris
12-G ... Track 5 Gold / Field 7 Gold

1928 Amsterdam
6-G ... Track 2 Gold / Field 4 Gold

1932 Los Angeles
11-G ... Track 6 Gold / Field 5 Gold

1936 Berlin
15-G ... Track 10 Gold / Field 5 Gold

1948 London
11-G ... Track 6 Gold / Field 4 Gold

1952 Helsinki
14-G ... Track 7 Gold / Field 7 Gold

1956 Melbourne
15-G ... Track 8 Gold / Field 7 Gold

1960 Rome
9-G ... Track 4 Gold / Field 5 Gold

1964 Tokyo
12-G ... Track 9 Gold / Field 3 Gold

1968 Mexico City
12-G ... Track 6 Gold / Field 6 Gold

1972 Munich
6-G ... Track 5 Gold / Field 1 Gold (long jump)

1976 Montreal
6-G ... Track 3 Gold / Field 3 Gold

1980 Moscow
Boycott

1984 Los Angeles
9-G ... Track 7 Gold / Field 2 Gold

1988 Seoul
7-G ... Track 6 Gold / Field 1 Gold (long jump)

1992 Barcelona
8-G ... Track 5 Gold / Field 3 Gold

1996 Atlanta
10-G ... Track 5 Gold / Field 5 Gold

2000 Sydney
5-G ... Track 4 Gold / Field 1 Gold (pole vault)

2004 Athens
7-G ... Track 4 Gold / Field 3 Gold

2008 Beijing
4-G ... Track 3 Gold / Field 1 Gold (decathlon)

2012 London
3-G ... Track 1 Gold (110m Hurdles) / Field 2 Gold

2016 Rio de Janeiro
7-G ... Track 3 Gold / Field 4 Gold

2020 ... Tokyo
2-G ... Track 1 Gold (4x400m relay) / Field 1 Gold (shot put)

:>---

SALT

Team handball- played this in intramurals in college. It’s a fun game to play. Anyone else ever play?

Team handball- played this in intramurals in college. It’s a fun game to play. Anyone else ever play?
Everyone played but more a girls school sport where I was working overseas. They were showing me how to play but I ws invited off shortly after, lol.

Rugby players. Anyone else hearing Korg? Just me?

I actually hate the opening and closing ceremonies to the Olympics, they are nothing more than a mutual masturbation exercise for the Olympic committee and the host nation. So I am channel surfing and this is what I see hosting the closing ceremony show on NBC>

177d42f0-f8bb-11eb-8332-0d9a8f1cc106_800_420.jpeg

So I guess the Olympics have really turned into the Hunger Games.

I actually hate the opening and closing ceremonies to the Olympics, they are nothing more than a mutual masturbation exercise for the Olympic committee and the host nation. So I am channel surfing and this is what I see hosting the closing ceremony show on NBC>

It was a Utopia. The Globalists vision of the future.

A story that went under the radar in the US is that the Russian rhythmic gymnasts were kind of jobbed out of a couple gold medals in that judged event. Russia and their former satellites basically control the sport so it was huge news when of all countries an Israeli girl won the individual gold. The Russians protested but it stood and it was kind of an ugly scene at the end with the Russian girl balling and not evening acknowledging the Israeli when she tried to shake her hand. Bulgari also upset the heavily favored Russians in the team event. Russia finally gets a little taste of their own medicine and it looks like the karma wheel was working that day.

Economic impact of these Olympics.

Economic implications for host:

Be prepared. The Olympics come to the US in 2028.

Economic impact of these Olympics.

Economic implications for host:

Be prepared. The Olympics come to the US in 2028.
Of note, Brisbane was basically the only city that submitted a bid for the 2032 Olympics so that is why they were awarded it.

I have a feeling that LA will recycle many of the venues from '32 and '84 and they can be sprawling all over SoCal including San Diego, Anaheim, Riverside, Santa Barbra, etc... There are also a lot of colleges which not only can supply venues but also housing. LA's issue could be cost of labor and $s needed for the logistics.

Of note, Brisbane was basically the only city that submitted a bid for the 2032 Olympics so that is why they were awarded it.

I have a feeling that LA will recycle many of the venues from '32 and '84 and they can be sprawling all over SoCal including San Diego, Anaheim, Riverside, Santa Barbra, etc... There are also a lot of colleges which not only can supply venues but also housing. LA's issue could be cost of labor and $s needed for the logistics.
This is from the Wiki article on the games.

While most host cities have seven years to prepare for the Olympic Games, Los Angeles will get an additional four, giving the city eleven years. The Los Angeles bid relied on a majority of existing venues; other venues that are already under construction or were planned regardless of the Games. Banc of California Stadium, which opened in 2018 as the home of Major League Soccer's Los Angeles FC, will host football (soccer) and several events in athletics. SoFi Stadium (which will be named as Los Angeles Olympic Stadium during the Games), which opened in 2020 as the home of the NFL's Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers, will host the main opening ceremony, football, and archery. Around the time when Los Angeles won its bid, the Los Angeles Clippers proposed building a new arena in Inglewood. However, this venue has not yet been approved and has yet to be mentioned as a potential Olympic venue.[17][18]

The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum underwent a major renovation and restoration program from 2017 to 2019.[19] A new press box, loge boxes, and club seats were installed.[20] This reduced stadium capacity from 93,607 to 78,467.[21] As the track and field venue, future renovations include the re-installation of an athletics track.

Opening ceremonies: I like the part when they come in and they display facts of the country.
Closing: Been a very long time since I cared enough to watch.

I would say I watched less of these Olympics Apparently viewers were w a y down, nearly fiddy percent on NBC.

The one thing I blame the most on my less viewing is....the good weather we have had recently. If the weather is nice out I dont generally spend much time inside and in the evenings it is past 9pm before the boobtube even gets turned on.

I turned it on a bunch only to turn it off after seeing what was on. I suspect that maybe their target audience is not middle aged males!

I turned it on a bunch only to turn it off after seeing what was on. I suspect that maybe their target audience is not middle aged males!
What they need are the natural rivalries in key sports to drive viewership. USA v the Soviet Union in anything was must watch TV in the '70s before the back to back boycotts in the '80s. The USA v Soviets in basketball and hockey games were the most memorable Olympic moments in my lifetime, nothing comes close to that. I read a story out about the Hungry v Soviet Union water polo game in the '56 Olympics when the Russians were on the verge of over taking that country with tanks on the boarder and all, it was eventually called "blood in the water" and there were literally dudes with gashes in their heads because the match became an under water boxing match.
water_polo_aug08_main_631.jpg

I wish the Chinese were better in some of the team sports to drive the rivalry but they have picked all these lesser individual sports to excel in, it's tough to create an intense rivalry in weight lifting or archery.

Opening ceremonies: I like the part when they come in and they display facts of the country.
Closing: Been a very long time since I cared enough to watch.

I would say I watched less of these Olympics Apparently viewers were w a y down, nearly fiddy percent on NBC.

The one thing I blame the most on my less viewing is....the good weather we have had recently. If the weather is nice out I dont generally spend much time inside and in the evenings it is past 9pm before the boobtube even gets turned on.
The summer Olympics have always been in July and August, when the weather is great. The Olympic games have turned into a television production, largely for a female audience. Games and events are created to enhance viewership. I'm a big baseball fan, so I have little interest in watching the Olympics. I just wonder if there will come a day soon where it's just not worth the hassle anymore. Japan had to take an absolute bath hosting these games.
BTW, was there any covid outbreaks?? Oh, of course not because there was no way NBC wasn't going to let the games be stopped.

The summer Olympics have always been in July and August, when the weather is great. The Olympic games have turned into a television production, largely for a female audience. Games and events are created to enhance viewership. I'm a big baseball fan, so I have little interest in watching the Olympics. I just wonder if there will come a day soon where it's just not worth the hassle anymore. Japan had to take an absolute bath hosting these games.
BTW, was there any covid outbreaks?? Oh, of course not because there was no way NBC wasn't going to let the games be stopped.
I think you fell victim to a double negative there?

That's based on assumption that only NBC had the universal Olympics broadcast rights, which is wrong. As I understand it, each country can have a network that gets its country's broadcast rights. CBC has Canada's, BBC had England's, etc. As such, I doubt NBC is muscling up on Japan or the Olympic Committee.