Suburban League - American

Any guesses who will be player of the year in the SLA?

I've seen every team and a few players stand out but not sure anyone has risen above the rest.
Kaden Davis from tallmadge is very good and he’s only a sophomore. Not sure if he will win the award but he should be in the discussion. Tallmadge is really the only team I know about from the SLA

Tonight's scores:

Revere 70, Kent Roosevelt 28
Highland 70, Aurora 48
Cuyahoga Falls 69, Barberton 54
Tallmadge 49, Copley 48

Updated standings:

Code:
Revere         (11-2) (15-4)
Copley         (9-4)  (11-8)
Tallmadge      (8-4)  (12-7)
Highland       (8-5)  (11-9)
Cuyahoga Falls (7-6)  (11-10)
Kent Roosevelt (6-7)  (8-12)
Aurora         (2-10) (3-15)
Barberton      (0-13) (0-20)

Congrats to Revere for winning the SLA this season.

Updated standings:

Code:
Revere         (11-2) (15-4)
Copley         (9-4)  (11-8)
Tallmadge      (8-4)  (12-7)
Highland       (8-5)  (11-9)
Kent Roosevelt (6-7)  (8-12)
Aurora         (2-10) (3-15)
Barberton      (0-13) (0-20)

Congrats to Revere for winning the SLA this season.
Told you.

I think the Suburban League American is what traditional basketball is supposed to look like. Kids playing together hard every night with good student sections. The games have been close. Some teams have split their season series. There are no players driving an hour to play with an all-star team that came together during AAU season. In fact, I would say the SLA defines what HS basketball is supposed to be.

There are a handful of DI basketball players in Ohio any given year. A coach is lucky to have one randomly come through their program every decade. Right now, it looks like the SLA doesn't have any...and that doesn't make it bad basketball. We've lost sight of what HS basketball is supposed to be because of the basketball factories.

I think the Suburban League American is what traditional basketball is supposed to look like. Kids playing together hard every night with good student sections. The games have been close. Some teams have split their season series. There are no players driving an hour to play with an all-star team that came together during AAU season. In fact, I would say the SLA defines what HS basketball is supposed to be.

There are a handful of DI basketball players in Ohio any given year. A coach is lucky to have one randomly come through their program every decade. Right now, it looks like the SLA doesn't have any...and that doesn't make it bad basketball. We've lost sight of what HS basketball is supposed to be because of the basketball factories.
Agree to some extent - this is community basketball and transfers do not make a huge difference. That is great and really how it should be. With that said, I have seen several community leagues over the years in various areas and this is a very average one. I have seen very good community teams that can make real runs (Revere just a few years ago when they took St. V to the wire) and there are none of those in this league. At least I don't think so.

Updated Standings:

Code:
Revere         (11-2) (17-4)
Copley         (9-4)  (11-10)
Tallmadge      (8-4)  (13-7)
Highland       (8-5)  (11-10)
Kent Roosevelt (6-7)  (9-12)
Aurora         (2-10) (3-17)
Barberton      (0-13) (0-21)

Games this week:
2/17/2023 Revere at Aurora
2/17/2023 Cuyahoga Falls at Kent
2/17/2023 Barberton at Tallmadge
2/17/2023 Highland at Copley
2/18/2023 Tallmadge at Aurora

Revere has won the league
Copley is playing for 2nd/3rd/4th
Tallmadge is playing for 2nd/3rd/4th/5th
Highland is playing for 2nd/3rd/4th/5th
Cuyahoga Falls is playing for 3rd/4th/5th/6th
Kent Roosevelt is playing for 5th/6th
Aurora will finish 7th
Barberton will finish 8th

Last night's scores:
Revere 70, Aurora 53
Highland 69, Copley 60
Tallmadge 67, Barberton 58
Cuyahoga Falls 57, Kent Roosevelt 39

Updated standings:
Code:
Revere         (12-2) (18-4)
Tallmadge      (9-4)  (14-7)
Highland       (9-5)  (12-10)
Copley         (9-5)  (11-11)
Cuyahoga Falls (8-6)  (12-10)
Kent Roosevelt (6-8)  (9-13)
Aurora         (2-11) (3-18)
Barberton      (0-14) (0-22)

Magics finished 0-23! #196 D1 team out of 198 I was told today at the Hunky! Went from 50 consecutive winning seasons with Wrector to downhill slope at Water tower with Graynolds and McPride!

Final Regular season RPI Rankings for the SLA:

Division I
118 Medina Highland 0.7486 12-10
122 Copley 0.7399 11-11
124 Cuyahoga Falls 0.7377 12-10
160 Roosevelt 0.6962 9-13
191 Aurora 0.6094 3-19
196 Barberton 0.5707 0-22

Division II
29 Revere 0.8211 18-4
59 Tallmadge 0.7777 15-7

Shaw-61
Tallmadge-52

Certainly doesnt say much for Tallmadge, beat by 9 by a 6-16 team. You can not play 6 kids againsta team that runs. Tallmadge was completely outcoached.

Shaw-61
Tallmadge-52

Certainly doesnt say much for Tallmadge, beat by 9 by a 6-16 team. You can not play 6 kids againsta team that runs. Tallmadge was completely outcoached.
Maybe outcoached (probably) but the bigger issue is there is a lack of depth. The development (lack there of) of several classes leading into this year seems like it hampered the new coach. There are kids on this team with a lot of varsity experience and still similar results from prior. This new coach will need a couple years to develop some players/depth (hopefully).

Maybe outcoached (probably) but the bigger issue is there is a lack of depth. The development (lack there of) of several classes leading into this year seems like it hampered the new coach. There are kids on this team with a lot of varsity experience and still similar results from prior. This new coach will need a couple years to develop some players/depth (hopefully).
My personal opinion is that there is no developement done by the jv coach, also you can not create depth by only playing 6 kids. Ifeel that is one of the reasons Tallmadge lost to Shaw. I have watched this team(JV) for the last 4 years and this coach has no clue as to what he is doing. He has no substitution rotation, plays kids out of position and plays kids based on who he likes or dislikes and not on the ability. It did not help that the varsity coach placed all but I think 1 of his juniors on the jv team and they could not win due to the coaching. I could be wrong but it is my belief that possibly only 1 kid that saw action with the varsity had been coached by the jv coach. All the other players that saw action have been playing varsity ball there entire time in the program and thus were not affected by the jv coach.

All these comments are my opinion but they are shared by quite a few others in the Tallmadge community.

Last edited:
To clarify part of my above statement. Tallmadge had 6 juniors on the varsity roster. Of those 6, i beleive that only one of them did not split their time on jv. Of the 5 remaining, there was a couple of them that had some significant playing time as sophomores but the new coach refused to play them or even have them on the roster full time.

Thsi tells me that there is either alot of politics involved or the new coach wants to break completely from the old. I have no idea hoiw this may or may not impact the team next year but I would think he may have to look at this very carefully or else he may set the program back futher than it is now.

My personal opinion is that there is no developement done by the jv coach, also you can not create depth by only playing 6 kids. Ifeel that is one of the reasons Tallmadge lost to Shaw. I have watched this team(JV) for the last 4 years and this coach has no clue as to what he is doing. He has no substitution rotation, plays kids out of position and plays kids based on who he likes or dislikes and not on the ability. It did not help that the varsity coach placed all but I think 1 of his juniors on the jv team and they could not win due to the coaching. I could be wrong but it is my belief that possibly only 1 kid that saw action with the varsity had been coached by the jv coach. All the other players that saw action have been playing varsity ball there entire time in the program and thus were not affected by the jv coach.

All these comments are my opinion but they are shared by quite a few others in the Tallmadge community.
In the teams I have followed over the years (basketball and other sports) the JV coach often plays who he/she is told to play by the head coach. It is hard to develop kids in game, so the development program should be in the summer and of course some during the season but this is usually headed up by the head coach - all kids (varsity and JV need continuous development -- this seemed to be lacking for a few years). With that said, I have not watched much JV for Tallmadge or other teams this year so not sure what any of these teams look like,

To clarify part of my above statement. Tallmadge had 6 juniors on the varsity roster. Of those 6, i beleive that only one of them did not split their time on jv. Of the 5 remaining, there was a couple of them that had some significant playing time as sophomores but the new coach refused to play them or even have them on the roster full time.

Thsi tells me that there is either alot of politics involved or the new coach wants to break completely from the old. I have no idea hoiw this may or may not impact the team next year but I would think he may have to look at this very carefully or else he may set the program back futher than it is now.
I guess time will tell but sometimes fresh eyes see things differently than those before them. No sure what politics may or may not exist (I am sure there are always some now adays) but it may again just be that the level you would expect from players with minutes in the past was not there so the new coach chose to try a different approach.

In the teams I have followed over the years (basketball and other sports) the JV coach often plays who he/she is told to play by the head coach. It is hard to develop kids in game, so the development program should be in the summer and of course some during the season but this is usually headed up by the head coach - all kids (varsity and JV need continuous development -- this seemed to be lacking for a few years). With that said, I have not watched much JV for Tallmadge or other teams this year so not sure what any of these teams look like,
From what I have seen and heard over the last couple of years, I dont think that is the case. I am pretty certain that the jv coach does as he pleases(with-in reason). I only say this because a good friend of mine has a son that plays for tallmadge and I have heard about alot of what goes on in the program.