State wrestling tournament schedule details

You said it was an ignorant statement. The facts from the tournament last year show otherwise.
Do you think 295 pins in a single state tournament is a presentation of a quality state level wrestling product?
the girls state dual meet championship last year= 11 duals and SEVEN matches TOTAL had an outcome decided by points.

Last edited:
Well you answered your own question Jim. Some would say they deserve their own show even. Could be worked out where some ticket packages include both Tournaments.
Hold them both on the same grounds within minutes of each other and work out a schedule where both Semi's and Finals could be attended by fans of wrestling.
To many old guys with no forward thinking .
You might think I answered my own question (I don't think so) but you avoided answering the question that was asked.
Do you really think the OHSAA is going to rent two buildings when they already have one large one under contract?
Hint: It is not going to happen.
The bottom line is that this is very much going to be a learning year for all involved.

Well you answered your own question Jim. Some would say they deserve their own show even. Could be worked out where some ticket packages include both Tournaments.
Hold them both on the same grounds within minutes of each other and work out a schedule where both Semi's and Finals could be attended by fans of wrestling.
To many old guys with no forward thinking .
Old guys with no forward thinking? What other states do what Ohio does with wrestling experience? I can tell you, straight from the highest level NFHS wrestling official, no one else. Now, welcoming the girls to join in on the best HS state tournament in the nation. I'd say that is pretty forward thinking. It was pretty forward thinking trying to do a spotlight on 3 finals matches. Unfortunately, execution was poor. Putting the finals on a stage.

I could keep going with more examples of Ohio and those old guys taking chances and evolving the state tournament. I think you misspoke at the end.

289583A3-2F37-48E0-90A1-57F5D6107E2D.jpeg

Points of interest :
* DIII will weigh in, then have to go back outside and wait 1 hr to re-enter. (not enough time to go out to eat with the team anymore).
* 5 hrs wait for DIII session I if you lose your first match (1:00 pm to 6:05 pm). 4 hrs for DI.
* Not much of a break (if any at all) for the workers between session II & III.

You said it was an ignorant statement. The facts from the tournament last year show otherwise.
Do you think 295 pins in a single state tournament is a presentation of a quality state level wrestling product?
Just wondering, isn't pinning the ultimate goal?
The bottom line is that while the sport is called wrestling, their approach and techniques will be different and suitable for their competition.
Someone not understanding it or not liking it does not mean it is in any way inferior. Just different.

Just wondering, isn't pinning the ultimate goal?
The bottom line is that while the sport is called wrestling, their approach and techniques will be different and suitable for their competition.
Someone not understanding it or not liking it does not mean it is in any way inferior. Just different.
Come on man. You know what sound wrestling is. If the high number of pinfalls is indicative of good wrestling then why don't we see it at the ncaas? Because of the quality of the participants- that's why. Poor quality of participants =lots of pinfalls.
Again, I'm not against girls wrestling. But at the state tournament, the quality is going to make the product look bad

Come on man. You know what sound wrestling is. If the high number of pinfalls is indicative of good wrestling then why don't we see it at the ncaas? Because of the quality of the participants- that's why. Poor quality of participants =lots of pinfalls.
Again, I'm not against girls wrestling. But at the state tournament, the quality is going to make the product look bad
I know what you would call "sound" boys wrestling. Maybe lots of pins is sound girls wrestling?
Again, just because it is not your cup of tea does not mean it isn't worth giving girls the opportunity.
If you have daughters, do they not deserve a chance to compete?
The idea is to defeat the person across from you. How it is done (within the rules) should not matter to you.
I understand that your mind is made up and closed (although I am sure you think otherwise). Don't like it, don't watch or comment on it.
Very simple solution.

I know what you would call "sound" boys wrestling. Maybe lots of pins is sound girls wrestling?
Again, just because it is not your cup of tea does not mean it isn't worth giving girls the opportunity.
If you have daughters, do they not deserve a chance to compete?
The idea is to defeat the person across from you. How it is done (within the rules) should not matter to you.
I understand that your mind is made up and closed (although I am sure you think otherwise). Don't like it, don't watch or comment on it.
Very simple solution.
Lol.
The topic isn't about whether girls should wrestle or not- although that's what you are making it. I'm sure you are waiting for your yappi ref buddies to get your back no matter how narrow minded and absolute you think your opinion is. The product is not ( yet) going to look good next to the boys state meet .like it or not.
On a side note, yes, I tried and tried to get my now hs daughter to wrestle but she wouldn't. I like it when my son and Jaclyn b. Find each other to warm up at tournaments. You can twist my opinion all you want. The fact is the girls state tournament is not YET a quality product and in MANY minds will not look good alongside the boys.
Ref/yappi clan chime in in 3,2 ,1

Is there going to be one mat that is designated for girls? Because of the amount of first period pins that will happen in every round, the mat will he done very early on in each session and sit empty for extended periods of time.
Because of the mat being open for so long will they move matches using the empty mat?

Although Jim will call this good wrestling, the first round of the girls state tournament had 53 first period pins. That's a fact. The round will absolutely fly by

The girls should have their own state tournament separate from the boys. The boys didn’t start at St. John or the school they had to work their way to it based on demand and need. The girls should be doing the same. The girls bb state was always in St. John while boys was in Schott. My opinion is this is great for the girls but taking away from the boys. There are some great female wrestlers, but the numbers are not that large so there will be some very bad wrestlers making it to the girls state, simply because the newness of the sport . Ohsaa screwed up again taking away from what was once an awesome experience for the boys.

Old guys with no forward thinking? What other states do what Ohio does with wrestling experience? I can tell you, straight from the highest level NFHS wrestling official, no one else. Now, welcoming the girls to join in on the best HS state tournament in the nation. I'd say that is pretty forward thinking. It was pretty forward thinking trying to do a spotlight on 3 finals matches. Unfortunately, execution was poor. Putting the finals on a stage.

I could keep going with more examples of Ohio and those old guys taking chances and evolving the state tournament. I think you misspoke at the end

I could keep going with more examples of Ohio and those old guys taking chances and evolving the state tournament. I think you misspoke at the end.
It seems they went backwards in their current decision making does it not. ? If they want to help promote and grow Girls Wrestling which they should . How about instead of blowing up the whole Boys Tournament with bad schedules and elimination of finals traditions.
Bring just the Girls Finals matches for 1st and 2nd to the Schott put down one non elevated mat at one end. Block off a section of seating down there for Fans, Parents and such. Thus helping to Promote and giving great exposure to the Girls Finals in the same spotlight as the Boys without blowing up the Boys Tournament that has taken years to built to this point.

Is there going to be one mat that is designated for girls? Because of the amount of first period pins that will happen in every round, the mat will he done very early on in each session and sit empty for extended periods of time.
Because of the mat being open for so long will they move matches using the empty mat?
Didn't read the schedule very closely, huh?

Although Jim will call this good wrestling, the first round of the girls state tournament had 53 first period pins. That's a fact. The round will absolutely fly by
You never saw me say anything of the sort. I said it is different (in many ways) from what you are used to.
If you are going to try and flame me, at least understand what I wrote.
BTW, I don't need any support, I am simply stating that your view is not the one the OHSAA has.

Ummm..is that not not calling it quality?

Medal ceremony at the end will almost insure that the HVY's have a few more spectators in the crowd. Good for them.
Also curious how many HS boys are upset about the girls sharing the state tournament...

It seems they went backwards in their current decision making does it not. ? If they want to help promote and grow Girls Wrestling which they should . How about instead of blowing up the whole Boys Tournament with bad schedules and elimination of finals traditions.
Bring just the Girls Finals matches for 1st and 2nd to the Schott put down one non elevated mat at one end. Block off a section of seating down there for Fans, Parents and such. Thus helping to Promote and giving great exposure to the Girls Finals in the same spotlight as the Boys without blowing up the Boys Tournament that has taken years to built to this point.
No. Not at all. They've taken away an aspect to accommodate a newer and growing section of the sport. My guess is after they see it a time or two, they'll make some adjustments and we'll see a stage again.

At this moment, the most important thing is exposure at the highest level possible and making it as legitimate as possible. This setup does that. Making them part time players isn't the way to maximize the opportunity. The boys will still have a top notch experience in a non-blown up fashion.

Ummm..is that not not calling it quality?
Now you are using double negatives?
I have no idea what you are trying to say but, OTOH, I really don't care.
Enjoy the rest of the holiday.
Out.

Here’s a simple question…

Does the MLB World Series share time with a women’s baseball league?

Ex :
You are at Yankee Stadium to watch the Yankees and Dodgers play in game 7…
But, after every inning, you are forced to watch an inning of two very inferior teams commit error after error; strikeouts, walks, bad coaching, bad base running, etc.
You paid good money to watch the greatest series on Earth, but you are forced to watch crap for 3 hrs and watch what you came for for 3 hrs.
Fans are upset; officials are upset; players are upset; and no one cares about the 2nd game going on.

That’s what is happening here.

Not that the girls don’t deserve to play…
But, they don’t deserve to play at Yankee Stadium during the World Series.

I respect your opinion and I knew you wasn't 142. Just lost my head for a moment. I know the boys are carrying the tournament and shouldn't be denied their due recognition. But wouldn't it be great to teach the fine young men that they can pave a way for girls, kids with disabilities, and anyone else that may want to participate on the biggest stage there is.
So a charity? For example Lets have a girls basketball team play between men's final four games? See how many people leave the arena??? Same thing. It's like watching youth and jr high boys wrestling at best. Let them make there own way, not on the heels of the boys. Total crap job by ohsaa.

Also curious how many HS boys are upset about the girls sharing the state tournament...
This has been my curiosity too after reading this whole thread of rhetoric, to the point of now comparing the state tournament to the world series 🙄. Has anyone heard any of the state level boys complain? I'm willing to bet the elite boys could really care less if the girls are there or not.

Just think, only 9? weeks until brackets come out and we get an annual thread railroaded by people whining about d3 guys qualifying with losing records.

This has been my curiosity too after reading this whole thread of rhetoric, to the point of now comparing the state tournament to the world series 🙄. Has anyone heard any of the state level boys complain? I'm willing to bet the elite boys could really care less if the girls are there or not.

Just think, only 9? weeks until brackets come out and we get an annual thread railroaded by people whining about d3 guys qualifying with losing records.

I'm doubting those elite wrestlers are on social media whining about it, that's for sure.

View attachment 37710
Points of interest :
* DIII will weigh in, then have to go back outside and wait 1 hr to re-enter. (not enough time to go out to eat with the team anymore).
* 5 hrs wait for DIII session I if you lose your first match (1:00 pm to 6:05 pm). 4 hrs for DI.
Plus you lose a hour on Sunday . Everyone should be in a great mood

Ask the boys about the elevated stage and medal presentations. Then tell them it's not happening because of the ladies. Just keep the traditions and add the ladies.

As I stated, the move to no longer do the platform is a decision driven by the combination of less time to turn around the facility after the end of the medal matches before the start of the state championship match program, and the ability to save the labor cost associated with creating and taking down the platform.

Even starting the Sunday morning round 30 minute earlier, that session is going to end later that it did in previous years. With the desire to keep the finals program starting at 4:50, parade at 5, first whistle 5:15 -- there becomes less time to set up the facility from the 8 mats on the floor to the stage plus four mats plus seating at the end opposite the head table (and quite frankly the completion was happening pretty tight to the time the facility reopened as it was). Combine that with the ability to save money, it becomes an easy decision.

Furthermore, I believe that studying the timing associated with taking eight mats down to four, and any ancillary turnaround associated, could possibly lead to an even earlier start time to the finals program in upcoming years.

Here’s a simple question…

Does the MLB World Series share time with a women’s baseball league?

Ex :
You are at Yankee Stadium to watch the Yankees and Dodgers play in game 7…
But, after every inning, you are forced to watch an inning of two very inferior teams commit error after error; strikeouts, walks, bad coaching, bad base running, etc.
You paid good money to watch the greatest series on Earth, but you are forced to watch crap for 3 hrs and watch what you came for for 3 hrs.
Fans are upset; officials are upset; players are upset; and no one cares about the 2nd game going on.

That’s what is happening here.

Not that the girls don’t deserve to play…
But, they don’t deserve to play at Yankee Stadium during the World Series.

If God has intended for a world series game to be played in Yankee Stadium she wouldn't have mopped the mats with a bucket of water mixed with Ajax.

Last edited:
View attachment 37710
Points of interest :
What's lost in all this ignorant arguing...

Is this image is an amazing resource. Thank you!