State Tournament Experience

Disappointing changes to the state tournament. Who's idea was it to replace the triangle scoreboards with the little one's next to mat tables, poor choice, the numbers are so small that unless you were seated in the 100 sections you were not going to be able to see scores on many mats, and for those in the 300 seats, no way. Parking, what happened to the buses? A very long walk in icy cold winter weather, an unexpected problem. and lastly in the past they always checked your purse or bags, no big deal but now you can not take in anything larger than 5'x8'.........the guy told my wife she would have to take her purse back to the car and the trooper that she is put all the contents into her pockets and threw away the purse.

Last edited:

Those old clocks wouldn’t work with track is I’m sure why, starting last year they switched to track wrestling so now they use track scoreboards.

And why the decision the get rid of the team score big boards??? That was always a great tradition!
Those are gone? I didn't notice that but if they are gone, another diminishing of the tournament. I don't know who's making these decisions but it is sad that Vince Mattucci (sp) made the tournament outstanding and now some clueless person is screwing it all up.

Yeah and whose idea was it to take it out of the high schools. We could see the score and we were right on top of the action. Sure I could follow the scoring on dash board since it’s on track but I’m about tradition and I want to wait the next day to read results I missed in the newspaper. I like having to stop at a gas station to buy the paper as an extra stop on my way back to the schott. Also twenty years ago my wife was so young and beautiful and now, well I just want things like they use to be and stay off my grass this spring!

Yeah and whose idea was it to take it out of the high schools. We could see the score and we were right on top of the action. Sure I could follow the scoring on dash board since it’s on track but I’m about tradition and I want to wait the next day to read results I missed in the newspaper. I like having to stop at a gas station to buy the paper as an extra stop on my way back to the schott. Also twenty years ago my wife was so young and beautiful and now, well I just want things like they use to be and stay off my grass this spring!
You can blow it off if you want but the quality of the tournament matters and also puts people in the seats, may be better not to attend and instead watch the replay on flo where you will at least know the score of a match.

If people were complaining about changes that made the event better I could understand your sarcasm. But the changes are not for the better. Not even close.

Does Track not have a bigger scoreboard for these type of situations? What does the NCAA tournament use? Not sure the loss of the team board is a big deal if it is constantly updated digitally.

Does Track not have a bigger scoreboard for these type of situations? What does the NCAA tournament use? Not sure the loss of the team board is a big deal if it is constantly updated digitally.
Those big team boards were iconic. I remember when my team first got our names on the big board and how excited the kids were (it was short lived but it was awesome for them). They should NEVER go away.

regarding the team boards, they did not have nameplates for all teams, if you were in the top 10 they made a plate for you, it was a source of pride when your school name made it onto the scoreboard................I have attending for over 30 years, from an organizational and spectator standpoint this was the worst of those 30 years when it was held in St Johns or the Schott

regarding the team boards, they did not have nameplates for all teams, if you were in the top 10 they made a plate for you, it was a source of pride when your school name made it onto the scoreboard................I have attending for over 30 years, from an organizational and spectator standpoint this was the worst of those 30 years when it was held in St Johns or the Schott
Yes you could tell if it was a new school because it was whiter than the rest!

I didn't think the scoreboards were too small, I get the complaint that they could be difficult to see, but apparently everyone forgets how difficult many of the old bigger scoreboards were to see from certain seats and angles. Not a new problem. The team scoreboard, I am fine with that being gone, I get it is traditional and all, but with Track updating team scores instantly, it makes sense to have team scores scroll on the board and people can just check Track if they want to check the team scores. It also looks better on the floor without them in my opinion (bring on your pitchforks). My only real complaint about this year was the lack of attendance, especially in the final session. I do not remember ever seeing a finals with so many open seats. I think the reasons for that are the date change as I feel less people would want to come out on a Sunday evening than a Saturday evening and the paperless ticket system. It is more difficult now to resell tickets now. It was a pain all weekend to keep sending them to my wrestlers and family members. I doubt they will get rid of that system though, so OHSAA will have to figure out something because I feel that the attendance at the finals is alarming.

I didn't think the scoreboards were too small, I get the complaint that they could be difficult to see, but apparently everyone forgets how difficult many of the old bigger scoreboards were to see from certain seats and angles. Not a new problem.
YAHTZEE...

The old scoreboards on the floor, no matter where you were, you always lost at least one of them.

The way the scoreboards were set up this year, none were lost. You probably lost half of one mat visually, but I'd rather have that then lose a scoreboard.

I do agree that having the scoreboards staggered in the middle would be a visual improvement for those sitting in certain locations of the facility. I do wonder though if that would cause a scoreboard to be "lost" for those in certain locations.

That being said, I think the Track implementation makes for a better state tournament viewing experience for all. Especially as more and more people have tablets and/or smart phones on them in the stands, it becomes much easier to follow the action.

As a media member, for those media members who are looking for results, it's much easier to work in track then it is to go through the old school papers or to wait for a BaumsPage update. In addition, the electronic bout enables anyone to research key details of a match (for example, when did the winning takedown occur - was it with 10 seconds left or was it with 5 ... and so forth).

State tournament experience.....magical and stressful. Ticket process...excruciating as grandparents are not on board with the electronic ticketing and unless everyone comes in together it makes it hard. Regardless this is still one of the best and special weekends in sports

I got scared that the attendance records were going to keep getting broken all weekend and they would make sure to keep it Friday- Sunday. Who ever thought it would be a good idea to have finals on the Sunday after moving the clocks is the worst. Getting home after midnight and having to be up at 7 am was not fun, I was on the struggle bus all day.

As for the tickets, I had them get printed out. I bought 8 books, I told them I was not going to mess with downloading and transferring that many tickets each session.