State duals regional results

Just an opinion… OHSWCA has done a horrible job with State dual coverage and results. Website is a mess, results are non existent other than patching them together on other sites, Twitter, Facebook etc. Would have been nice to view complete results and build a little excitement!

Just an opinion… OHSWCA has done a horrible job with State dual coverage and results. Website is a mess, results are non existent other than patching them together on other sites, Twitter, Facebook etc. Would have been nice to view complete results and build a little excitement!
Agreed.

Say what you will about the format/running - but OHSAA State duals were great in terms of finding results.

OHSWCA is probably voluntary member responsibilty to post results while OHSAA employee is probably a 6 figure payed job.
Just speculating.
Good thing for Yappi.

OHSWCA is probably voluntary member responsibilty to post results while OHSAA employee is probably a 6 figure payed job.
Just speculating.
Good thing for Yappi.

Lets say that is true. Why not let people know and ask for help? Many people would step up to help. From IT work to video streaming, updates, marketing, etc. If you really need help do a gofundme type thing.

Lets say that is true. Why not let people know and ask for help? Many people would step up to help. From IT work to video streaming, updates, marketing, etc. If you really need help do a gofundme type thing.
Just speculating.
Good thing for Yappi.
Let’s say that’s true … then how can the passion of Borofan and Bucksman not be even “kind of existent” in the people organizing this 2 week tournament? I mean… as far as I know… BF and BM aren’t getting paid 6 figures to assemble the huge amounts of data… the entire season. OHSWCA is only required to do that for 2 weeks… and can’t!

Let’s say that’s true … then how can the passion of Borofan and Bucksman not be even “kind of existent” in the people organizing this 2 week tournament? I mean… as far as I know… BF and BM aren’t getting paid 6 figures to assemble the huge amounts of data… the entire season. OHSWCA is only required to do that for 2 weeks… and can’t!
Send them an email and volunteer to do it.

This is put on by the coaches during the busiest time of the season for them so give them a break. Could information be better, most definitely but after the ohsaa dropped it all together we are lucky to have it at all! Each host school is responsible for the event, some put more effort in then others. Next week at Versailles the D 3 event will be broadcast again like last year with commentary and a camera on each mat. I'll share the link when it's available.

Send them an email and volunteer to do it.
Listen, all I’m saying is that to increase the interest in the sport and sustain the tournament… post the results. Back in the day the coaches submitted box scores to the paper after every match… coaches today don’t… so the papers focus on HS basketball … wrestling gets hardly any press.

Listen, all I’m saying is that to increase the interest in the sport and sustain the tournament… post the results. Back in the day the coaches submitted box scores to the paper after every match… coaches today don’t… so the papers focus on HS basketball … wrestling gets hardly any press.
Maybe next year it becomes the responsibility of the hosting school to upload the results to the website… pop a few sponsors on the site and wammo… you got revenue!

Hey everyone.

My name is Dean Conley and I am the OHSWCA state duals coordinator.

The primary reason we love Ohio wrestling is the passion for our student-athletes and programs! Keep the discussion moving, it will help guide us next season. This can never be a situation where we worry about hurting someone's feelings. If there were mistakes made, they were mine.

When we made the decision to take over the state duals last year we had long conversations about the time commitment and how to expand the format. Last season our goal was to not let this event end when the OHSAA decided to cut it. We thank them for allowing us to keep the same parameters (not counting points for the event), the state officials for jumping in, and the host schools for hosting with all the COVID protocols.

After last season we solicited input from our district representatives, and made the decision to expand the format. Although it was probably a year too soon, the positives (more teams participating) outweighed the challenges (how to run it). This year has not been perfect, but it has seen significant increase in teams participating. The snow storm didn't help..ugh.

As we approach the state championships this Saturday, we feel good about how far we've come. There are definitely things to change for next season and we'll start working on those after the season.

We appreciate the feedback and keep doing what you're doing...it will make us better.

See you next Saturday for the team championships!

Thanks,

Dean Conley

Curious as to how results being posted on a website helps grow the sport. Getting kids in the gym for the dual is more likely to help grow the sport.

Also, people still read the paper?

Last edited:
D2: Ashland, Aurora, Louisville, Perry (Lake)
-West Holmes, Graham, and Wilmington regionals are Monday
-I couldn't find an update for Carrollton

D3: South Range, Ravenna Southeast, Marion Pleasant
-Barnesville and Milan Edison regionals are Monday
-Oak Harbor v Liberty Center wrestling right now for a spot
-Can't find update for Miami East and Allen East
Carrollton Regional was moved from Saturday 2/5 to Monday 2/7 due to the weather.

Curious as to how results being posted on a website helps grow the sport. Getting kids in the gym for the dual is more likely to help grow the sport.

Also, people still read the paper?
Didn't say that would "grow the sport", I said "Increase the interest" ... "and sustain the tournament". If you think about it and compare it to the regional football playoffs... Could you imagine a regional football playoff game with little to no results posted for the athletes / fans to look at? It was just an opinion, as I clearly stated. Maybe a bit aggressive, I'll admit. I think its great to have a state dual tournament and appreciate the OHSAA allowing it and the OHSWCA for putting it on, I just felt the coverage could have been better. The coordination of the tournament has been outstanding, The kids are having a blast and always fun seeing them cheer on their teammates from the bench... they really get amped up for a big dual with the hype! Great to see these kids give it their all for each other, the school, the fans and probably most of all their coaches!

Hey everyone.

My name is Dean Conley and I am the OHSWCA state duals coordinator.

The primary reason we love Ohio wrestling is the passion for our student-athletes and programs! Keep the discussion moving, it will help guide us next season. This can never be a situation where we worry about hurting someone's feelings. If there were mistakes made, they were mine.

When we made the decision to take over the state duals last year we had long conversations about the time commitment and how to expand the format. Last season our goal was to not let this event end when the OHSAA decided to cut it. We thank them for allowing us to keep the same parameters (not counting points for the event), the state officials for jumping in, and the host schools for hosting with all the COVID protocols.

After last season we solicited input from our district representatives, and made the decision to expand the format. Although it was probably a year too soon, the positives (more teams participating) outweighed the challenges (how to run it). This year has not been perfect, but it has seen significant increase in teams participating. The snow storm didn't help..ugh.

As we approach the state championships this Saturday, we feel good about how far we've come. There are definitely things to change for next season and we'll start working on those after the season.

We appreciate the feedback and keep doing what you're doing...it will make us better.

See you next Saturday for the team championships!

Thanks,

Dean Conley

Thanks for posting Dean, way to own it. I like the format, and I am sure everyone is very glad that the Duals are still running. I believe we all feel that the biggest let down has been no public results that are easy to find. I have never ran a tournament so I dont know the ins and outs of using a host like Track or Baums so I am no help. Maybe the best option would be something like mentioned above and have the host school submit results and your organization could either post to the web or social media. The problem I see there is someone at the host school being detailed enough to get correct box scores. I dont see that going well either. In short I dont have any good ideas to contribute but wanted to say thanks for coordinating!

A way to make some money. Add live streaming of the semi finals and finals. Or whatever rounds you like. Charge a reasonable price people are willing to pay and it could add some money to the budget. Youtube channel, use the schools setup, contract it out. Get some decent commentary (that should not be hard). I've heard some of the best commentary from high school kids. From knowing wrestling to just being funny/entertaining.

Last edited:
Crazy how much of an instant gratification culture we've become. I love reading results as much as anyone. I've seen all results in this thread or another from Saturday, and it's Monday morning. Rewind a while, when the paper was the way to get results, we'd be reading them this morning. Keep up the good work Dean.

Didn't say that would "grow the sport", I said "Increase the interest" ... "and sustain the tournament". If you think about it and compare it to the regional football playoffs... Could you imagine a regional football playoff game with little to no results posted for the athletes / fans to look at? It was just an opinion, as I clearly stated. Maybe a bit aggressive, I'll admit. I think its great to have a state dual tournament and appreciate the OHSAA allowing it and the OHSWCA for putting it on, I just felt the coverage could have been better. The coordination of the tournament has been outstanding, The kids are having a blast and always fun seeing them cheer on their teammates from the bench... they really get amped up for a big dual with the hype! Great to see these kids give it their all for each other, the school, the fans and probably most of all their coaches!

What is the point in increasing the interest in the sport if not to grow the sport? Not sure how results being posted online increases the interest in the sport. The people looking for results are likely already interested as evidenced by the posts in this thread.

I don't mind opinions and giving feedback. It is more the putting them on blast and not offering to help find solutions - that shouts entitlement.

Coverage can be better, sure, but most of the time that equals $. We aren't exactly a revenue generating sport. Your comparisons should likely not be to football and basketball, but rather volleyball and tennis or something along those lines.

I know your intentions are good and in the end I think we would both agree what really matters is the kids getting the opportunity to compete in something like this.

1. St. Ed's
2. Perrysburg
3. DC
4. Wadsworth
5. Brecksville
6. Marysville
7. Moeller
8. Lebanon

This is just a guess, don't go crazy if I seeded your team low.
1. St. Ed's
2. Brecksville (only lost by 1/2 point to Perrysburg at Ashland Tournament & beat Wadsworth 37-24 in a dual)
3. Wadsworth (beat Perrysburg head to head)
4. Perrysburg
5. Dublin Coffman
6. Marysville
7. Moeller
8. Lebanon

You also have to look into who had who out when they seen each other . I know Coffman had multiple guys out when they seen perrysburg and brecksville.. Omar Ayoub was out ( 2nd in state ) , Joey Baumann was out ( district placer 5th ) so that would’ve helped for sure . One other was out too but can’t think of who as I type ?!

You also have to look into who had who out when they seen (saw) each other . I know Coffman had multiple guys out when they seen (saw) perrysburg and brecksville.. Omar Ayoub was out ( 2nd in state ) , Joey Baumann was out ( district placer 5th ) so that would’ve helped for sure . One other was out too but can’t think of who as I type ?!

Would be nice to get some love and give central Ohio district a chance to make finals possibly as a 3 seed .. they’ve been ranked 3rd ( Coffman ) in state all year so whoever has final say it would be nice to give them that seed and have a fighting chance to win some really tough matches against the others, and possibly make it to finals?!
A 5 seed would be right they lost to Perrysburg in the finals of the fricker duals 35-34. Tournament rankings different from Dual meet rankings