starting line up for basketball

Brad is a quiet leader. He is but is not a motivational person. He just does not seem like the guy in the locker that would explode, in a good way, and get the team pumped up. He is wise and motivating in a quiet way.

brad loesing is not a great player, d swizzel, maybe in grade school he was an all star... but those years are long gone.... the level of play has caught up to him and his lack of quickness causes him to get in foul trouble also he has to force all of his shots and this will hurt in the gcl...If shiverdecker could commit less turnovers he could be a good fit with his great dribbling ability and quickness... If brad would just not force his shots he would be fine also if he played a clean defensive game, but the other players would have to help with guards quicker than brad

As for the team leader, look for Johnny Mazza to fill that roll. Kids respect him and he's a vocal guy, can definitely speak up in the locker room and be the leader we need.

Johnny mazza definitely isnt the best guard out there though. Even if loesing isnt as good as he was in grade school he is still a good player and will get playing time this year. i cant see mazza getting playing time since in my opinion he is behind loesing and shiverdecker. Im not saying hes a bad player hes just not as good as those 2 guards in my opinion.

Johnny is just as good as those two, and along with his leadership ability he is going to help the team out tremendously.

He may be a good leader, but he doesnt have to play to do that. As far as skillwise goes i dont think johnny is as good as loesing and shiverdecker.

Again, Patch McDonald should definitely try out as his skills trump those of all three of these aforementioned guards. Does anyone have a clue as to why the coaches didn't like him? I know this happened for players such as Brian Deremo in the past, do our coaches just have a knack for not liking the best player in a given class? I find this odd especially since Patch would be the best guard on this team.

Pat's good and should definitely be on the team, but he is not the best player in the '07 class and the other guards are slightly better than him because they have more speed.

it doesnt matter which one of these guys play, we will be weak at the point guards
1. Loesing- gives control, and ability to get ball up in dow floor against press but is a weak defender and cannot score when contested by other defender
2. Shiverdecker- quick, athletic.. tries his hardest to play like but turns ball over and has to many mental lapses
3. Mazza- experience, has respect,, but excels in no particular aspect of game
4. McDonald- average at everything, but hasnt played in a high school game since freshman year so theres no telling how he ll turn out
5. Ross Morand- quick tall great defender and can defend players who are from 5'9 to 6'4- he is could put on some weight so he can to guard strong players and take it to the whole , but still very solid in all aspects could also improve outside game a little...

.i think you rotate pg's until one stands out from the pack

Who in '07, from a guard standpoint, is better than McDonald? Also, he is quick off the dribble and has the best moves of any of your aforementioned guards. He's just a good basketball player, you can't tell me those other guys are better than him.

Who in '07, from a guard standpoint, is better than McDonald? Also, he is quick off the dribble and has the best moves of any of your aforementioned guards. He's just a good basketball player, you can't tell me those other guys are better than him.

Patch is good, but there are enough guards who could get the job done just as well if not better. Hes a fine player but like someone else said he hasnt played a real game since freshman year. Who knows how he could turn out in a real game. A real game is way different than open gym. He may be putting up good games at open gym but that doesnt mean hes gonig to do the same in a real high school gcl basketball game.

I agree with Xfanforev. Pat hasn't played a game since freshman year. He may do somethings in open gyms, but from what I've seen and heard, the GCL is way different than open gyms. People will know on Wednesday(not sure) if Pat will try out.

Bombers first scrimmage is Saturday against a tough Middletown team and last year's state runner-up Trotwood Madison. Unfortunately its during the football game.

tryouts look good but ppl say they havent split up the team like with few ppl cut and few on the jv team. Im guessing they will do it after the first or second scrimmage? Although they may cut some players after this week.

too bad we no longer have luke barret...he would start... he is about to put up some big numbers for McN this year

Xhockey69 said:
too bad we no longer have luke barret...he would start... he is about to put up some big numbers for McN this year

Yeah since Luke Barrett would probably even make the team? No, there are plenty of guys way better than him. For example(s), Johnny Mazza, Brad Loesing, Ryan Shiverdecker, Kevin Hickey, Ross Morand, and Andrew Tiemeier are all way better than Luke. I hope Luke has a good year at McN, but just know his big year there wouldn't even be on the team here.

Xdawg007 said:
Yeah since Luke Barrett would probably even make the team? No, there are plenty of guys way better than him. For example(s), Johnny Mazza, Brad Loesing, Ryan Shiverdecker, Kevin Hickey, Ross Morand, and Andrew Tiemeier are all way better than Luke. I hope Luke has a good year at McN, but just know his big year there wouldn't even be on the team here.

I don't think you can put Andrew Tiemeier as a "good player". He made the basketball team 1 year and was cut freshman and junior year. He definitely won't make it this year, he's too small and too slow to play varsity (or JV) basketball. I don't know who Luke Barrett is but if he's going to star for McN then I bet he's better than Tiemeier

Luke Barrett should not have been cut sophomore year. He got significantly more playing time freshman year than either Tiemeier or Mazza. They both came in after the game was decided. Luke is a much better shooter than either of them as well as a better ballhandler. St X has a history of cutting guys that surprise everyone else and this was certainly the case with Luke.

XavierMenForever said:
I don't think you can put Andrew Tiemeier as a "good player". He made the basketball team 1 year and was cut freshman and junior year. He definitely won't make it this year, he's too small and too slow to play varsity (or JV) basketball. I don't know who Luke Barrett is but if he's going to star for McN then I bet he's better than Tiemeier

Your pretty ignorant and obviously have no clue what your talking about. Andrew made the team freshman and sophomore year and got cut last year. He is going to make the team this year, and he's actually pretty quick but good try. And just because someone is going to star for McN does not mean anything, Luke chokes in the big games and can't be the focal point of any offense. Please don't post anymore.

Fanofall said:
Luke Barrett should not have been cut sophomore year. He got significantly more playing time freshman year than either Tiemeier or Mazza. They both came in after the game was decided. Luke is a much better shooter than either of them as well as a better ballhandler. St X has a history of cutting guys that surprise everyone else and this was certainly the case with Luke.

No Luke wouldn't have even played at all throughout all his years. St. X cuts the players they don't need to make a good team is all.

Xdawg, you obviously havent seen LB play in awhile.. and seem to have a bias against him, but hypothetically if he were still at X he SHOULD make the team and be starting PG. (not saying that he would because the coaches hate him)

Actually I just don't need to see Luke play, I know all our guys are better. I don't care how good he is or how sweet he plays, I will take our guys any day verse any team.

patch should be able to get alot of playing time this year... i dont think him not playing high school basketball will have much emphasis seeing as how last season aluise had never played high school basketball and was sixth man the last few games of the season...patch deserves a spot and if he's doing well in open gyms and practices, he should get a chance in games